• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Oh my bad, I was thinking it was 5A after, not 2A. His standing jab she can 2A under, his crouching jab she can just do B because it beats crouching attacks and throws. It's actually much worse to try 2A against Mitsuru because Fatal Counter combos are bad times. These are all in all pretty low-risk counters to Yosuke's blockstrings, and if he starts getting fancy with moonsaults its a free DP into Bufudyne.

Deps

Since you're here, want to advise me how to time the dash cancel on 5A and 5B? Have trouble pinpointing the exact time to D:

After 5B you dash on the last hit or when Yosuke's daggers are above his head. The game seems to have a dash buffer so as long as you dash near the end you should get it. The hardest part is learning to 5A right away. For the dash learn to 6,6+5A. Make Yosuke the dummie, record yourself doing 5B, dash 5A and keep doing it till you can't mash out of it.

Oh my bad, I was thinking it was 5A after, not 2A. His standing jab she can 2A under, his crouching jab she can just do B because it beats crouching attacks and throws. It's actually much worse to try 2A against Mitsuru because Fatal Counter combos are bad times. These are all in all pretty low-risk counters to Yosuke's blockstrings, and if he starts getting fancy with moonsaults its a free DP into Bufudyne.

It is 5A. And she can't 2A under it. I'm doing 5A 5A 5B dash 5A, no matter how I mash 2A Mitsuru always gets CH. 5AA is enough time to hitconfirm into C,2C~ on hit and 5B on block. Mitsuru has no low risk answer to this.

It is 5A. And she can't 2A under it. I'm doing 5A 5A 5B dash 5A, no matter how I mash 2A Mitsuru always gets CH. 5AA is enough time to hitconfirm into C,2C~ on hit and 5B on block. Mitsuru has no low risk answer to this.

Is 5B dash-cancelable or something? I'm not seeing it.

edit: I just followed your instructions and now I get counter-hit, but 5A is hitting you? Do i need to go tighter?

Deps

Is 5B dash-cancelable or something? I'm not seeing it.

It's not dash cancellable or at least I don't think it is, it's just + and if the dash 5A is done right you can't mash out. Unless I don't know some secret mashing technique, I can't find a way to mash/poke in between 5B dash 5A.

edit: I just followed your instructions and now I get counter-hit, but 5A is hitting you? Do i need to go tighter?

Yeah, 5A gets beat too when I tried.

It has to be a dash-cancel, or it makes no sense. Mashing 5A should always be faster than dash 5A otherwise, and mashing 5A gets beat clean. Even if his dash normal is faster like a jojo's character that wouldn't be enough. Regardless, it seems like dash 5A is a good, if difficult blockstring.

Geneijin

5B is dash cancelable.

Edit: Also, Yosuke's 5a beats Mitsuru's 5A in close range because Mitsuru's 5A has a slower startup than Yosuke's. dc 5B > 5A beats Mitsuru's 5A unless Mitsuru instant guards 5B I believe.

5B is dash cancelable.

Edit: Also, Yosuke's 5a beats Mitsuru's 5A in close range because Mitsuru's 5A has a slower startup than Yosuke's. dc 5B > 5A beats Mitsuru's 5A unless Mitsuru instant guards 5B I believe.

Well with the dash cancel it should beat anything that's not invincible.

Beckx

Are you analyzing enemies? He shouldn't be flinging Ziodynes if you have him on "Wait/Support/All-out Assault" mode when he knows he can't get a one-more out of it.

Oh, yeah, I use direct control of party members & only use it on enemies weak to lightning. I'm just being snarky about how Caesar has seemingly forgotten how to use Ziodyne in P4A. :)

Just a hint for P3, since this caught my eye:
If you want to grind from 70+ really quickly, and you haven't discovered it yet, go to Monad. It'll give you lots of experience, really quickly. To unlock it, you need to beat Elizabeth's Request #53, which is defeating the Reaper. That in itself is a challenge, but you might be able to manage at lvl. 70-ish. I did, using Odin's Thunder Reign to shock him, and then concentrate on knocking him down. It's a long haul of a fight, but it's relatively simple in its technique. It certainly beats grinding Margaret's challenges, which are a nightmare.

After beating that request, you get 5,000,000 yen, which is more than enough for you to grind out exp in Monad up to lvl100 in one evening, using the clock to heal.

Nice! I've got that quest but have no idea where to look for
the Reaper
. I hate falling back on FAQs, but I'll go pull the location for that. Thanks!

Edit: HA! So that's what's happening when
Death Approaches
. Every time that's happened, I've been curious but didn't want to risk losing progress. Now to trigger it intentionally....

Geneijin

Well with the dash cancel it should beat anything that's not invincible.
Pretty much, but that's only if Yosuke is super close. So if Yosuke doesn't dc 5B properly to 5A, he could eat a 5A from Mitsuru easily because of the spacing and being frame disadvantaged I think. Don't have my (any) blockstrings down, so I can't say for sure.

MCD

Pop in disc.

Nice intro theme dude!

Goes to main menu, music starts playing.

Game is now my favorite jukebox.

cj_iwakura

tumblr_m9gyaemCq31rs6cnno1_500.png

Just needs Rachel to complete the trifecta.

GGs Proto. Think I lost count on how many times I got perfected :lol

That IK win was quite satisfying though.

GGs. To be fair, when you got close to perfect, I just mashed to get a hit in for no perfects, haha. Also, I was expecting that IK. Not sure why I supered there.

Game definitely has the best, classiest lobby music ever.

They needed a better guitarist for that online lobby theme. It's so bad.

I found Labrys 2B to stop most of Naoto's jump ins.

Labrys 2B stops all jump ins. I can't think of a single air attack that it can't punish.

Maybe Mitsuru's j5B.

Also, I was trying to pick up Chie earlier today.

Then I got invited to Roe-Bear's lobby and saw a beast Chie player messing people up.

I got self conscious at that point and got tossed into the dumpster as Yosuke.

Sorry for bailing Roe-Bear, but after that match I had to go back into the lab after getting trashed by that Chie.

Let's play again once I'm feeling more confident in my skills.

Domstercool

The netcode is rather fantastic. I'm based in UK (luckily for me I imported my PS3 back when it launched in the US) and I was playing some guy from New York and it felt brilliant! :D

Curufinwe

Over the long weekend I finally finished the Story mode, the Arcade mode, and played my first two online matches. And I managed to fluke a win in the second match, so I'm very pleased with that. I half expected to go 0-100.

That's pretty unfortunate. Meguro's most recognisable trait is his melodic guitar-work.

To each their own I guess.

Though you're still wrong. ;)

Is Meguro the guitarist? I'm sure they could have gotten a better player.

Also, there's nothing wrong with the melody. Just the guitar lines lack the pop and feel that it needs.

Dantis

Yeah, Meguro is the guitarist. He's also the lead composer on the series.

He does all the guitar work in Persona 3 and 4. A lot of Arena's original tracks were Toshiki Konishi though (In terms of guitar work), I believe.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Okay, I'm taking a vacation from Akihiko. Went to two tourneys this weekend and ...it didn't go "bad". Think my scenes are weaker than most though. I shouldn't be top 5 anything with my "combos are for nerds" Akihiko. I was mindgaming all the way through the winner's bracket and I think I really need to get over my reliance on pinning people in the corner with him.

Q made me realize that I am nothing without a corner.

So I'm joining the Chie army. Any advice? Other than Ffffffffmash?

Okay, I'm taking a vacation from Akihiko. Went to two tourneys this weekend and ...it didn't go "bad". Think my scenes are weaker than most though. I shouldn't be top 5 anything with my "combos are for nerds" Akihiko. I was mindgaming all the way through the winner's bracket and I think I really need to get over my reliance on pinning people in the corner with him.

Q made me realize that I am nothing without a corner.

So I'm joining the Chie army. Any advice? Other than Ffffffffmash?

This

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
The guitar sounds like MIDI.

It just doesn't blend or match the song at all it's like super off key.

Where as the guitar in the rest of the songs all have a similar rhythm and tone as the songs they are in.

Blues in the Velvet room sounds really fucking off

Fugu

It just doesn't blend or match the song at all it's like super off key
The notes he's playing are fine. He's certainly inside the key. The tone is just terrible.

This song in general is just like formulaic jazz for dummies; it's so cliché it borders on kitsch.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
The notes he's playing are fine. He's certainly inside the key. The tone is just terrible.

This song in general is just like formulaic jazz for dummies; it's so cliché it borders on kitsch.

Woops yeah, tone is the word I was looking for, my music terminology is really off these days.

On another note, Spirited Girl is a great example of two instruments playing around with each other back and forth and keeping a great sense of unity and consistancy

best song in the game

Fugu

Woops yeah, tone is the word I was looking for, my music terminology is really off these days.

On another note, Spirited Girl is a great example of two instruments playing around with each other back and forth and keeping a great sense of unity and consistancy

best song in the game
Music is my job so I might be a little anal.

The best track is the one that goes BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY

Music is my job so I might be a little anal.

The best track is the one that goes BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY

best song in the game

You guys are both wrong... The best one is Reach Out for the Truth, although the girl at the beginning is a little flat.

Top Bottom