• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

hypernima

Banned
CEASAR FUCKING CEASAR HELP CEAAAAAASAAAAAAAR

Why do you think he says it so intensely, he's begging for help

I always imagine the guy inside of Caesar looks as a dying Akihiko begs for help and is like "Jeez what should I do."

Akihiko can easily fight his matches without Caesar, he's only good for CH combos and DCing and I don't earn those very much. :(

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I always imagine the guy inside of Caesar looks as a dying Akihiko begs for help and is like "Jeez what should I do."

Akihiko can easily fight his matches without Caesar, he's only good for CH combos and DCing and I don't earn those very much. :(

It's a utility persona it's not ment to be used like the rest of the cast lol

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Akihiko used to be top-tier. Then some jackass decided to add "personas" to the game.

Ya know what? Fuck it. When they release the next version, don't even put Caesar in the game. Just give Akihiko a shank and the option to throw dirt in people's eyes.

TWILT

Banned
Think I'm done for the night.

Good games Poorfate. Really fun/intense matches even though I choked alot on some of them lol. Your Labrys is still really good.

Think I'm done for the night.

Good games Poorfate. Really fun matches even though I choked alot on some of them lol. Your Labrys is still really good.

Yeah, I noticed you like those OMB combo's a lot. I had a 7k fatal CH combo in store for you but I never managed to start it.

Maybe next time :p

Also, I am free to AOA's. Seriously, I can see them coming but I just don't block them. Normal overhead moves yeah, but AOA's make me free. I think I blocked one throughout all those matches.

hypernima

Banned
Yosuke is so annoying for Akihiko to lock down. Atleast I figured out how to block his stuff playing you Geneijin. Also Raging that last Kanji match was demoralizing >.< I didn't know his super did so much damage. I messed up so many times in that match doing Rolls.

Yosuke is so annoying for Akihiko to lock down. Atleast I figured out how to block his stuff playing you Geneijin. Also Raging that last Kanji match was demoralizing >.< I didn't know his super did so much damage. I messed up so many times in that match doing Rolls.

it did that much because you had negative penalty.

The biggest problem you have is a problem a lot of players have and its the need to press buttons. Most of yukiko's setups are pressure strings. They only punish you if you press a button because her mixup options are poor.

The next big thing is you kept backing up. As Aki vs yuki that is a big no. You are just giving me more space to work with. Most character I prefer mid range, but against Aki I can stay full screen and not worry about a thing.

Geneijin

ggs to hypernima and raginingnight

So I've been downloaded already. Damn

hypernima

Banned
it did that much because you had negative penalty.

The biggest problem you have is a problem a lot of players have and its the need to press buttons. Most of yukiko's setups are pressure strings. They only punish you if you press a button because her mixup options are poor.

The next big thing is you kept backing up. As Aki vs yuki that is a big no. You are just giving me more space to work with. Most character I prefer mid range, but against Aki I can stay full screen and not worry about a thing.

I back up by bad habit. I get frustrated a lot because 5A is my best tool yet my worst enemy, it always messes me up. I just can't find a way to get confirms because everyone sans Akihiko seems to be so damn safe.

Not really, but when I take a match to block I usually measure how far or when a string ends, you can still moonsault mixup but i'm a bit more wary of that now, or you can end a string early to overhead or you can just end a string early to confuse me, theres still lots of shit you can do, but for the most part I noticed patterns to stop Yosuke's play. The main point though is that I just can't lock you down and you score counter hits from my recklessness.

I back up by bad habit. I get frustrated a lot because 5A is my best tool yet my worst enemy, it always messes me up. I just can't find a way to get confirms because everyone sans Akihiko seems to be so damn safe.

Against yukiko I would say its a hard matchup for him. I want to say 6-4 only because aki needs to get in only 1-2 times to seal the deal (2 times because of burst).

You just need to play a bit more patient and know what tools you have. SB kill rush isn't bad to react to slow startup moves.

Honestly. I have never fought a decent Yosuke outside like the first week of the game so I wasn't sure about some of his moves. I did pickup on some habits really early on though.

Geneijin

Not really, but when I take a match to block I usually measure how far or when a string ends, you can still moonsault mixup but i'm a bit more wary of that now, or you can end a string early to overhead or you can just end a string early to confuse me, theres still lots of shit you can do, but for the most part I noticed patterns to stop Yosuke's play. The main point though is that I just can't lock you down and you score counter hits from my recklessness.
Matchup inexperience more than anything else I think. Your 5A and j.B beat a lot of my options, and j.C is a good air escape punish when timed right. I find I have to zone Akihiko more than any matchup.

Honestly. I have never fought a decent Yosuke outside like the first week of the game so I wasn't sure about some of his moves. I did pickup on some habits really early on though.
So I'm terribad. As expected, the crown of scrub is mine.

Matchup inexperience more than anything else I think. Your 5A and j.B beat a lot of my options, and j.C is a good air escape punish when timed right. I find I have to zone Akihiko more than any matchup.

So I'm terribad. As expected, the crown of scrub is mine.

Naw. I think I need to clarify. You are the first yosuke outside the first week I played that was solid.

You had some really good ideas and were willing to risk doing things to see what happen. That is something a solid players has.

The one thing that stood out was the whole kunai zoning to take away my persona cards. Normally most people let me get away with some things that I know aren't safe, but you made me respect that option of yours. The one big habit I saw was pushing buttons. Its a common mistake most people make and even I fall for it.

Yosuke matchup feels like a match of who can control the pacing. Yosuke uncontrolled is pretty nuts.

Ken

Yeah, I noticed you like those OMB combo's a lot. I had a 7k fatal CH combo in store for you but I never managed to start it.

Maybe next time :p

Also, I am free to AOA's. Seriously, I can see them coming but I just don't block them. Normal overhead moves yeah, but AOA's make me free. I think I blocked one throughout all those matches.

Funny because you'd think the flash of white of AOA would tell your brain to block.

Funny because you'd think the flash of white of AOA would tell your brain to block.

Flash of white? I can't remember seeing anything like that.

I feel it is similar to my compulsion to jump at Kanji when he does his dive grab thing.

I know you can avoid it by crouching. Even if he's on the other side of the screen and I'm crouching in anticipation I'll still jump up to meet him sometimes.

Ken

Flash of white? I can't remember seeing anything like that.

I feel it is similar to my compulsion to jump at Kanji when he does his dive grab thing.

I know you can avoid it by crouching. Even if he's on the other side of the screen and I'm crouching in anticipation I'll still jump up to meet him sometimes.

Character flashes before AOA.

I've got my brain to just crouch 2B whenever I see a Kanji jump happy.

Beckx

So near the end of P3, I will play nothing until it's finished. But
at level 70 I'm having trouble with Nyx, so I'm going to try to grind up and beat Margaret's challenges first.

But playing it makes me rage at the fact that Akihiko is flinging ziodynes all day long. I can only assume that Ceasar got hit in the head one too many times and is now suffering from the Persona equivalent of concussion syndrome.

Deps

I've been playing Yosuke a lot and theres a good Mitsuru in my local scene. There is no way that matchup is bad. She can't AA you period. Glide or airdash into moonsalt is very scary for her. Air turn is a part of glide, and airturn lets you block immediately from an airdash. Moonsalt itself also has quite a bit of invincibility. On the ground, Yosuke sweep goes under most of Mitsuru's pokes and Yosukes counter gives him a full combo vs air hits which makes her instant OH much scarier to use. And I'm not 100% sure on this but I think Yosukes DP punishes do the most dmg in the game.

This is just my experience, but someone also asked SBO winner Mitsuru (Syuuto) on Jiyunas stream what matchups he struggled with and he said Yu/Teddie can fight her and Chie/Yosuke are hard for him.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
But playing it makes me rage at the fact that Akihiko is flinging ziodynes all day long. I can only assume that Ceasar got hit in the head one too many times and is now suffering from the Persona equivalent of concussion syndrome.

Are you analyzing enemies? He shouldn't be flinging Ziodynes if you have him on "Wait/Support/All-out Assault" mode when he knows he can't get a one-more out of it.

She can't AA you period.

...That's half the match for me.

Air turn is a part of glide, and airturn lets you block immediately from an airdash.
So? I'm not DPing airdashes.

Moonsalt itself also has quite a bit of invincibility.
Not enough, apparently. I DP that shit every damn time.

On the ground, Yosuke sweep goes under most of Mitsuru's pokes
I spend most of the match normal jumping A against him.

Yosukes counter gives him a full combo vs air hits which makes her instant OH much scarier to use.
I never ever use her instant OH. I probably should, though, after watching the CC tutorial. But not necessarily against Yosuke.

And I'm not 100% sure on this but I think Yosukes DP punishes do the most dmg in the game.
On air hit?

This is just my experience, but someone also asked SBO winner Mitsuru (Syuuto) on Jiyunas stream what matchups he struggled with and he said Yu/Teddie can fight her and Chie/Yosuke are hard for him.
That's fine, but I haven't seen the way he plays against Yosuke. Mitsuru/Yosuke for me is a slow burn but I tend to win each round with 80-90% leads. I'm a super patient player when the match calls for it. I'll down back and jA people to death if it's a guaranteed win.

How can he moonsault on reaction a moonsault I DP on reaction?

@_@

That‘s the problem, it‘s a “whoever moves first loses situation“ :T

Technically, he CAN Moonsault your Moonsault punish I guess but if that happens it‘s the Mitsuru‘s fault for being so slow to punish.

The problem for Yosuke with that DP is the fucking hitbox it has :/

Deps

If you're J.A'ing them that much the Yosuke is not gliding properly or needs to stay on the ground more. If you glide correctly, Mitsuru CAN NOT J.A air to air you she has to J.B, 2B, or DP. Doing moonsalt to beat DP is not done on reaction, you glide then just before you hit the ground you moonsalt (which is when the DP would be done) which forces the Mitsuru to do something because if the glide finishes and Yosuke lands or gets a J.A out (which will safejump the DP), he gets in. When Yosuke is in you need to guess to get out due to Mitsurus slow pokes and Yosukes godlike frametraps (Yosuke S.B is +1 on block). If Mitsuru whiffs one DP Yosuke can punish for 6k, 7k in the corner with a grounded punish. Once she has meter you have to bait it but by then doing an air punish still hurts. On the ground slide as I mentioned is great, and his 2B is one of the best AA's in the game so Mitsuru can't jump around too much.

I don't know how the Yosukes play against you but it sounds to me like they're not playing the matchup correctly. I wish I could play you but I'm on xbox :{

If you're J.A'ing them that much the Yosuke is not gliding properly or needs to stay on the ground more. If you glide correctly, Mitsuru CAN NOT J.A air to air you she has to J.B, 2B, or DP. Doing moonsalt to beat DP is not done on reaction, you glide then just before you hit the ground you moonsalt (which is when the DP would be done) which forces the Mitsuru to do something because if the glide finishes and Yosuke lands or gets a J.A out (which will safejump the DP), he gets in. When Yosuke is in you need to guess to get out due to Mitsurus slow pokes and Yosukes godlike frametraps (Yosuke S.B is +1 on block). If Mitsuru whiffs one DP Yosuke can punish for 6k, 7k in the corner with a grounded punish. Once she has meter you have to bait it but by then doing an air punish still hurts. On the ground slide as I mentioned is great, and his 2B is one of the best AA's in the game so Mitsuru can't jump around too much.

I don't know how the Yosukes play against you but it sounds to me like they're not playing the matchup correctly. I wish I could play you but I'm on xbox :{

Someone I suddenly want to play is on 360? What is this madness? I want to see your Yosuke in action when school is not being a pain in the ass.

I don't jA on reaction to glides, I'm in the air in the first place because I'm constantly normal jumping around. Yosuke's advanced movement options are pretty set in stone and double jumps aren't. I'm trying to make it hard for Yosuke to confuse me. He's expecting a guy trying to keep him on the ground where mitsuru is strongest, but I play the match running away. Who says I even need to try to beat his moves? If I'm not 100% comfortable I can tag him, I just block. Yosuke isn't going to beat me with chip damage.

As for the people I play, I actually refused to play anyone other than A or S ranked in ranked matches unless they challenged me. It took a long time to rank up that way(especially when I realized that I wasn't getting rank battles because they have to be same rank...), but I didn't want to learn as many bad habits as possible. About 90% of the A/S rank players I was fighting were Yu, Teddie or Yosuke.

Deps

I don't jA on reaction to glides, I'm in the air in the first place because I'm constantly normal jumping around. Yosuke's advanced movement options are pretty set in stone and double jumps aren't. I'm trying to make it hard for Yosuke to confuse me. He's expecting a guy trying to keep him on the ground where mitsuru is strongest, but I play the match running away. Who says I even need to try to beat his moves? If I'm not 100% comfortable I can tag him, I just block. Yosuke isn't going to beat me with chip damage.

As for the people I play, I actually refused to play anyone other than A or S ranked in ranked matches unless they challenged me. It took a long time to rank up that way(especially when I realized that I wasn't getting rank battles because they have to be same rank...), but I didn't want to learn as many bad habits as possible. About 90% of the A/S rank players I was fighting were Yu, Teddie or Yosuke.

If you're not doing it on reaction then it just sounds like the Yosuke is not patient enough. The matchup is easier for Yosuke if the Mitsuru likes jumping around. Once she jumps she limits her options to airdash/double jump/nothing. If I see someone jumping around I don't mindlessly glide into air normals. I get to a spot where I can AA the Mitsuru if she airdashes. If she airdashes I anti air her, if she double jumps shes stuck till she lands and I either dash up AA her into a combo or wait till she lands then pressure. Once Yosuke is close enough then I can dash up 2B or dash up B which is +1 on block but also has a good hitbox to stop jumping away.

As far as just blocking Yosuke, a good one will always open you up. He has some of the best frametraps in the game, he has a fuzzy guard, hop into moonsalt, and IAD glide during a blockstring is one of the fastest crossups in the game. Once he gets on you it's bad, period. I've never seen someone (even in top Jpn play) block Yosuke in a way that made his pressure look bad. Once he is on you, you have to take big risks to get out. If you guess wrong you eat 50%.

Also I'm not trying to say im good or anything special, but I've played the Yosuke vs Mitsuru matchup a lot, and I just don't see how it's bad.

Deps

Yosuke's pressure game isn't all that good imo

Its just not sustainable.

You can do any string with Yosuke and end it with S.B(+1) then dash forward A(5f) and do it over and over again or cancel B into 2C which does 6k on FC. It beats mashing and you never get out of range.

Why would Mitsuru air dash for anything other than oki?

If you're just jumping/dj'ing then that's even easier for Yosuke to pin her down/AA.

Omikaru

So near the end of P3, I will play nothing until it's finished. But
at level 70 I'm having trouble with Nyx, so I'm going to try to grind up and beat Margaret's challenges first.

Just a hint for P3, since this caught my eye:
If you want to grind from 70+ really quickly, and you haven't discovered it yet, go to Monad. It'll give you lots of experience, really quickly. To unlock it, you need to beat Elizabeth's Request #53, which is defeating the Reaper. That in itself is a challenge, but you might be able to manage at lvl. 70-ish. I did, using Odin's Thunder Reign to shock him, and then concentrate on knocking him down. It's a long haul of a fight, but it's relatively simple in its technique. It certainly beats grinding Margaret's challenges, which are a nightmare.

After beating that request, you get 5,000,000 yen, which is more than enough for you to grind out exp in Monad up to lvl100 in one evening, using the clock to heal.

You can do any string with Yosuke and end it with S.B(+1) then dash forward A(5f) and do it over and over again or cancel B into 2C which does 6k on FC. It beats mashing and you never get out of range.

If you're just jumping/dj'ing then that's even easier for Yosuke to pin her down/AA.

If he rushes at me I just fall on him with jA and he stops with me at positional advantage. I just tested your blockstring which Mitsuru can beat for free by just hitting 2A after his B which means you're now in the corner, even if he doesn't dash in between. If you block the 2A, that's a free mixup off of 5C.

Astral

How do you fight Mitsuru as Elizabeth? This match-up is impossible for me. I can almost never safely summon Thanatos and Mitsuru's full of shit in general.

Deps

If he rushes at me I just fall on him with jA and he stops with me at positional advantage. I just tested your blockstring which Mitsuru can beat for free by just hitting 2A after his B which means you're now in the corner, even if he doesn't dash in between. If you block the 2A, that's a free mixup off of 5C.

J.A can easily be AA'd by Yosuke 2B/dash 2B unless I'm way too far, but then your J.A will whiff unless I run into it. Another thing that always works vs J.A is Yosuke can slide and it will hit everytime, loses to 2B and blocking but slide can be cancelled on block so it's safe. J.B is hard to AA but can still be 2B'd and has much less horizontal range.

Also I just tried S.B blocked into 2C or dash 5A. With Mitsuru I couldn't 2A through it by mashing, timing it, and not even with turbo. Mitsuru got CH every time, and you don't want to get CH by 2C. I think the only option she has is throw or DP which are big risks.

Geneijin

Excuse my lack of knowledge but what is S.B here? 5B?

Top Bottom