• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Onemic

ggs noi

I am so goddamn free at this game. 2 days doing nothing but training and I feel I've gotten a million times worse.

goldensun

One major thing many people don't realize is that any training mode in a fighting game allows you to practice your offense/combos/setups and has NOTHING to do with your defense/reactions.

I could spend a year doing nothing but practicing in training mode with the computer on and off set to hardest and all I would learn is how to do my combos, how to start setups and how badly scripted the AI is after I've played it over 1,000 times.

Normally I'd say the best practice is local matches (and I've found a few people locally to play with but we never meet up really), but since this game's netcode is so godlike the online play really does give you some decent practice, I'd spend the majority of my time online.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
One major thing many people don't realize is that any training mode in a fighting game allows you to practice your offense/combos/setups and has NOTHING to do with your defense/reactions.

Well, you can also use it to practice blocking common strings so you know when to block high and low.

Onemic

Have you been learning mixups and oki setups? That's probably more important than learning a specific combo.

mitsurus mixups are non existent apart from Sweep fake to throw and sweep fake to j.B, which I couldn't land once since my hits I got in were very few and far between. Her only real oki setup is her aegis refelctor. But ya all I've been learning in training mode is specifically her throw setups and ccorner combos and IAD.

Well, you can also use it to practice blocking common strings so you know when to block high and low.

It should work in theory, but doesn't work that well in practice. I probably spent all of last week setting Labrys to 100 and blockign her mixups, and I still can't block shit. Especially considering the CPU can't do oki.

And ggs Sophia. You just need to begin blocking more and learn to watch your bullets, as you just let them fly. Learn one BnB that you can use consistently.

Onemic

Gonna stream matches in a little bit.

Name on PSN: K0FF1X

down to play a few if you're still on

ggs Sollune. I really need to work on Mitsus throw setups. I only know the one from her block string, but clearly from my matches with you there are a ton more.

Solune

ggs Sollune. I really need to work on Mitsus throw setups. I only know the one from her block string, but clearly from my matches with you there are a ton more.

GGs. I think you were only susceptible to throws because of the 5AA pressure. I haven't tested it but in mirrors I think you can sweep under it like Yosuke can? And I only started throwing them out because I couldn't open you up.

Anyways you've improved alot, your hitconfirms are way cleaner (and nicer) than mine. I gotta start that hyperbolic time chamber again.

T.O.P

Banned
My ntsc 360 is shipping tomorrow finally

iMqUh3VtrknC.gif

can't wait to make some sweet love to Akihiko :3

G-Fex

Shit sorry I passed out while watching Floe's stream.

I'm up and early right now Persona folk.

Let's play!

Uncle AJ

Another sleepless night in training mode, lol. Spent most of it learning this dirty little mixup tool.

I keep saying I'm going to switch to Aigis once I feel I've maxed my potential with Chie so I don't have to deal with as many bad matchups, but I know there's so much more I can do with Chie still. My air-to-air confirms are still kind of ass, and I use 8566 instead of 956 for instant air-dashes because 956 rarely ever works for me, but 8566 is just a tad slower and higher off the ground so it loses a lot of its mixup potential.

Did you know you can hit Chie's IK on reaction to Mitsuru's Bufudyne super flash? ^_^

This actually bugs me a lot. There are a lot of chances for them to use music at opportune times during this game and they don't. Not using I'll Face Myself for P4 mirror matches is a big mistake for one.

I guess they wanted to use the normal battle themes for mirror matches because that's what you hear most often in the RPGs. Still, they could have at least allowed us console players to choose those songs. Personally I'm most disappointed by the lack of Master of Tartarus.

On a related note, is The Ultimate based on a track from the RPGs? I don't remember hearing anything sounding like it, yet the one in the game is referred to as "Stage Edit", implying there's another version out there?

OceanBlue

I guess they wanted to use the normal battle themes for mirror matches because that's what you hear most often in the RPGs. Still, they could have at least allowed us console players to choose those songs. Personally I'm most disappointed by the lack of Master of Tartarus.

On a related note, is The Ultimate based on a track from the RPGs? I don't remember hearing anything sounding like it, yet the one in the game is referred to as "Stage Edit", implying there's another version out there?

The Ultimate is a track in Persona 4.

Uncle AJ

Man I can't find a good conneciton with anyone on netplay. All of my practice and timing goes out the window in favor of:

8wqho8.gif

(replace Marvel with Persona, and mashing several buttons with mashing a single button)

Onemic

Yeah well I'm enjoying my days off after 3 weeks of waiting.

:p

If anyone wants to play I'm in the room that says twitch.tv/TBT gang.

I'm playing with those pros

if you're still down to play send me an invite.

GGs. I think you were only susceptible to throws because of the 5AA pressure. I haven't tested it but in mirrors I think you can sweep under it like Yosuke can? And I only started throwing them out because I couldn't open you up.

Anyways you've improved alot, your hitconfirms are way cleaner (and nicer) than mine. I gotta start that hyperbolic time chamber again.

Ya, I was trying to low profile it by doing some random sweeps, but you wouldn't 5A. I'm not sure if you can sweep under it when 5A is already active so I didn't risk it and just stayed still. Can you tell me some of the throw setups you used? You seemed to be able to do some of them after a drill.

G-Fex

ggs, I think you should stick with Naoto or Yu, you already seemed to know one of her persona mixups, at least from what you were doing in the first two matches with her.

me thinks it'll take a lot of practice to master Naoto, the gunslinger.

Can she do trick shots?

Onemic

It seems you're doing something right. I told you you to work on those mixups/oki setups man.

I TOLD YOU.

Ya thanks, seems like it paid off. I still need to work on throw setups other than from her sweep fake, as well as j.B mixups. I think working on hitconfirms helped more than anything, as I now never use her autocombo and can go into sweep fakes or throws from it, which I could never do before.

Sollune or GB do you know how to bait a DP from a blocked hitconfirm? Usually when my sweep fake to throw setup becomes really successful, my opponent tends to just spam DP like crazy as soon as they see the sweep coming.

Top Bottom