• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Fugu

It should work in theory, but doesn't work that well in practice. I probably spent all of last week setting Labrys to 100 and blockign her mixups, and I still can't block shit. Especially considering the CPU can't do oki.

And ggs Sophia. You just need to begin blocking more and learn to watch your bullets, as you just let them fly. Learn one BnB that you can use consistently.
Input a blockstring and practice blocking that. Once you start getting it, change the unsafe points in the pressure and then practice blocking that. Try to IB the whole thing. If at any point in time you find yourself blocking it too naturally, stop playing for a half hour and then come back and see if you can still block it. P4A has a small enough cast that you can hammer out the vast majority of what you'll have to block on reaction that way. Half of the challenge with blocking is about learning when to pay attention and learning how to make yourself do as little work as possible; this is what you can accomplish in training mode. The other half is mind games and learning when your opponent will choose what option, and that comes with experience. But the more things that you can block, the more frustrating it will become for your opponent to pressure you in the first place, so one step begats the other.

Onemic

Input a blockstring and practice blocking that. Once you start getting it, change the unsafe points in the pressure and then practice blocking that. Try to IB the whole thing. If at any point in time you find yourself blocking it too naturally, stop playing for a half hour and then come back and see if you can still block it. P4A has a small enough cast that you can hammer out the vast majority of what you'll have to block on reaction that way. Half of the challenge with blocking is about learning when to pay attention and learning how to make yourself do as little work as possible; this is what you can accomplish in training mode. The other half is mind games and learning when your opponent will choose what option, and that comes with experience. But the more things that you can block, the more frustrating it will become for your opponent to pressure you in the first place, so one step begats the other.

damn, so pretty much I have to learn other chracters then? Yu, Labrys, Aigis, and Chie block strings seem pretty damn long and complex.

Anyone down to play a few rounds?

Beats

I'm guessing the training dummie's "Only First Hit" setting for blocking is how people determine if something is a true blockstring? Cause when I do 5AA > 5BB > 5C > 2C with Yukiko the dummy gets hit by 2C. But when I do something like 5AA > 5BB > 2C the training dummy blocks all of it.

Am I the only one who didn't know this? :x

Onemic

ggs geneijin, those were some real tough matches.

Yosuke is such a hard matchup for mitsu, her 5A is totally useless against him as he can low profile everything making you play the matchup totally different compared to most of the cast. Hitconfirming stuff with Yosuke is such a pain in the ass due to that and his fast movement speed. Only good thing is that her DP destroys his stupid moonsault game.

geneijin do you know how to get out of that mixup you were doing on me where you throw me high in the air and you 2B me afterwards?

You don't need a dual modded stick. Get a $19 Mayflash Universal Adapter from Play-Asia. I use one and both my TE & Hori FE work perfectly on my PS3.

I'm quoting this post from way back because it needs more mention/buzz;

YOU. YEAH YOU.

YOU ARE A GOD.

This thing works. Literally just works. My old SFAC Arcade Stick, my Tekken 5 stick, my 360 Fightpad. THEY WORK ON EVERYTHING NOW. And the whole needing the wired 360 thing is covered by the Fightpad, so I don't even need to do that.

AND IT WAS 20 DOLLARS.

MY BRAIN IS FREAKING MELTING

Also, ahem. Persona. Still trying to figure out good BNBs with Yu, but I think my play skews more towards reading the player and trying to land Lions

Geneijin

ggs geneijin, those were some real tough matches.

Yosuke is such a hard matchup for mitsu, her 5A is totally useless against him as he can low profile everything making you play the matchup totally different compared to most of the cast. Hitconfirming stuff with Yosuke is such a pain in the ass due to that and his fast movement speed. Only good thing is that her DP destroys his stupid moonsault game.
You can 5B over Yosuke's sweep.

geneijin do you know how to get out of that mixup you were doing on me where you throw me high in the air and you 2B me afterwards?
You mean when I try to run under you for an unblockable 2B after finishing a combo with kunai? Not really. I do know your j.B tags me if I'm not quick enough. Perhaps double jumping to avoid the 2B if you suspect it?

Onemic

You can 5B over Yosuke's sweep.

You mean when I try to run under you for an unblockable 2B after finishing a combo with kunai? Not really. I do know your j.B tags me if I'm not quick enough. Perhaps double jumping to avoid the 2B if you suspect it?

oh, interesting. I guess the question now would be how to properly apply it in the matchup. Gonna take a lot of trial and error.

Blockstrings are usually incredibly easy to execute.

I guess I'll start with Labrys and Yu as I generally see them the most and their blockstrings give me so much trouble. Do you still play the game Fugu? Do you know what local places in the GTA host P4A casuals/tourneys? I'm actually interested in playing an FGC game locally for once.

GGs Solar, the delay was kinda nasty :/ Kanji combos are easier in that delay.

GGs to you too. Yeah, dunno what was up with that delay at the end, it was doing pretty well before that :/

As usual I decide to blame my brother for it >_>

Still, now THAT Kanji was a real man, none of that dive grab spam shit. Anyways, I totally fail at gliding in an actual battle right now >.> I learned that TK Moonsaults are fun though :D

Fugu

I guess I'll start with Labrys and Yu as I generally see them the most and their blockstrings give me so much trouble. Do you still play the game Fugu? Do you know what local places in the GTA host P4A casuals/tourneys? I'm actually interested in playing an FGC game locally for once.
I don't really play, no. But unless Toronto's scene has improved greatly in the last few months, shit is sparse. There was a tournament at A&C last week though.

Onemic

I don't really play, no. But unless Toronto's scene has improved greatly in the last few months, shit is sparse. There was a tournament at A&C last week though.

damn, looks like I should start playing some AE again then.

Anyone up for matches?

lawful

Banned
As someone who only watched the anime and not played the game (OG Persona 4) is the story mode really worth it? I did Yu and Chie's groaning the whole way basically. Entirely way too much reading for a fighting game. It felt budget and half-assed.

Anyway, what's the grand total of hours I'm looking at if I decide to beat Persona 4 Arena: The Novelization?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
As someone who only watched the anime and not played the game (OG Persona 4) is the story mode really worth it? I did Yu and Chie's groaning the whole way basically. Entirely way too much reading for a fighting game. It felt budget and half-assed.

Anyway, what's the grand total of hours I'm looking at if I decide to beat Persona 4 Arena: The Novelization?

The story mode in ASW games are essentially visual novels. It works well with Persona.

If you haven't played P3 or P4, you lose quite a lot.

The story mode in ASW games are essentially visual novels. It works well with Persona.

If you haven't played P3 or P4, you lose quite a lot.

This.

I haven't finished it but you lose out a lot by not playing P3 at least. It's important to understanding everything that you know what happened in both games.

You did say that you watched P4: The Animation so I guess that's good.

Hmm, but there's no psn in this post . . . or on your profile.

Hmm . . .

It's the same as his username.
I think.

Onemic

ggs guys.

anyone else up for matches? I literally have nothing else to do but get drunk and play this game. Oh and anyone know how to setup voice chat for this game? My mic is connected to my PS3 but I don't know how to make persona recognize that I have one.

Beats

ggs guys.

anyone else up for matches? I literally have nothing else to do but get drunk and play this game. Oh and anyone know how to setup voice chat for this game? My mic is connected to my PS3 but I don't know how to make persona recognize that I have one.

I'll play for a bit. Gimme a sec..

Beats

Yo onemic, are you still around? The lag was pretty bad heh. I sent you an invite if you want to keep playing.

The bar numbers for connections seem kind of worthless. It was showing 3 bars, but there were big spikes happening pretty often.

Onemic

Yo onemic, are you still around? The lag was pretty bad heh. I sent you an invite if you want to keep playing.

The bar numbers for connections seem kind of worthless. It was showing 3 bars, but there were big spikes happening pretty often.

Sorry man, I was watching Big two, send another invite and I'll come throughhhh

hypernima

Banned
if you've got time to complain, you better be saving every one of these matches so you can review then later

5B 2B

5C 5C 5D
If not 5D just 5B again and start over, Akihiko can't really do shit to get in, can't weave 5B because I'll eat a 236A

Too far? Tough luck Akihiko you can't Roll or Weave 236A/B
Get in too far all liz needs to do is trap with 5B again and make em guess if they will 214A or 5D

I'm not complaining (besides the superjump thing) but I was analyzing the whole match and didn't see not one thing I could do to land some damn confirms.

The Mirror matches I learned from but I really dislike Mirror matches so I switched.

5B 2B

5C 5C 5D
If not 5D just 5B again and start over, Akihiko can't really do shit to get in, can't weave 5B because I'll eat a 236A

Too far? Tough luck Akihiko you can't Roll or Weave 236A/B
Get in too far all liz needs to do is trap with 5B again and make em guess if they will 214A or 5D

I'm not complaining (besides the superjump thing) but I was analyzing the whole match and didn't see not one thing I could do to land some damn confirms.

The Mirror matches I learned from but I really dislike Mirror matches so I switched.

everyone always says that akihiko sucks, but he's not worse than Elizabeth

and, that he has trouble getting in, so that's something you have to deal with as an akihiko player

maybe stop pressing so many buttons to get in, and just focus on getting closer

running or dashing at me from full screen definitely isn't the way to go about it though

i think he has a rush punch kinda thing, that just launches him forward crazy fast? i hate that move, you should use it more

Elizabeth's 5B is slow as shit. And I don't think two in a row are safe. You also counterhit me a ton of times when I did it.

The thing you have to know about Elizabeth is that she can't open you up. Don't be scared to block. You'll probably fare better once you play the match up a bit more.

Will they have Persona? It's the only game where I won't be completely bodied by everyone in the room.

On the Facebook page, it's listed! The state of Toronto's FGC is as follows:

The Game List For T13:
UMvC3, AE, MK, KOF, TTT2, SCV, P4, and BBCSEX will be the official game list.
-DOA was taken out since it is too close from release date.
-Virtua Fighter has disappeared or no longer active.
-Summers End showed SkullGirls to be dead.

Top Bottom