• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

MechaX

back. Hypernima or anyone else wanna 1v1?

Actually, maybe I should leave the room at this point. The last couple games I played on ranked led me to damaging my small fan, and I haven't gotten that mad at a video game in almost a decade. So yeah, for the sake of my more expensive stuff in my room, I absolutely do not need to be playing this game right now.

Onemic

Actually, maybe I should leave the room at this point. The last couple games I played on ranked led me to damaging my small fan, and I haven't gotten that mad at a video game in almost a decade. So yeah, for the sake of my more expensive stuff in my room, I absolutely do not need to be playing this game right now.

well if you would just let me 4b you......

You have to start somewhere man. I was getting bodied by everyone like 2 weeks ago, to the point I was thinking of switching my main. Once you break that wall it feels extremely satisfying and you get to make people rage instead.

I understand that feeling. For me I get salty when I know I outplayed somebody but 2-3 mistakes cost me the round due to 50-60% combos.

Also avoid rank. I get way saltier in rank because its one game set. It means you can get away with more stupid shit than usual because there isn't enough time to download the other player. Quite literally you have to play dumber against a good portion of players just to win because they just like pressing buttons.

Didn't we go 50/50? All I was trying to do was either IK you with the super or go for that stylish SMP combo. I landed the mudon ONCE. Then the combo dropped.

Also, I learned a little bit of Naoto because of my roommate so yes, I had some prior knowledge.

Weren't you using Aegis when we played?

MechaX

You have to start somewhere man. I was getting bodied by everyone like 2 weeks ago, to the point I was thinking of switching my main. Once you break that wall it feels extremely satisfying and you get to make people rage instead.

But therein is the problem. I've had the game for over a month, put in a ton of time practicing, playing people, etc in prior weeks, read dustloop, read mayonaka, read SRK, watched tournament videos and tutorial videos, tried to ask for help on here and other boards, etc, etc, and it just doesn't seem like that wall is anywhere in sight. I'm still getting bodied and I'm not fully understanding why, I still don't like playing as Naoto at all (nor do I really like the rest of the cast), and I have exerted a tremendous amount of effort to try to learn a game that has only really been more frustrating than anything else in recent memory.

I'm pretty much at my wit's end here.

I understand that feeling. For me I get salty when I know I outplayed somebody but 2-3 mistakes cost me the round due to 50-60% combos.

Also avoid rank. I get way saltier in rank because its one game set. It means you can get away with more stupid shit than usual because there isn't enough time to download the other player. Quite literally you have to play dumber against a good portion of players just to win because they just like pressing buttons.

Yeah, there definitely is some strange stuff you can get away with on ranked that would in no way fly on any other match (and technically, the same could be pulled on you too in ranked).

MechaX

Have you played any other 2D fighter?

Yeah, missed the boat on BB (only played that casually), but I played SF, KOF, and GG pretty seriously. GG is probably the most serious I have played a 2D fighter in terms of actually pursuing local competition and what-not.

I did fairly well in SF and GG. Can't say about KOF because I never really had much of local competition in that one.

Weird. I would assume the knowledge in those games would carry over. I never played GG, or BB competitively and just using knowledge from 3s, and the vs series to get by in this game.

What kind of characters do you normally play?

Dantis

Seen all of story mode now. It was... A lot more simple than I expected. All those people calling it a true sequel to P4 are nuts.

On the plus side, Labrys actually wasn't irritating, and I even got used to her silly voice.

Now I just need to actually play the game. :/

MechaX

Weird. I would assume the knowledge in those games would carry over. I never played GG, or BB competitively and just using knowledge from 3s, and the vs series to get by in this game.

What kind of characters do you normally play?

It depends. On GG, I mostly played Ky and Millia, with KOF, Iori or other more close ranged characters, and in SF I either stuck with the shotos or oddball characters like Juri.

But therein is the problem. I've had the game for over a month, put in a ton of time practicing, playing people, etc in prior weeks, read dustloop, read mayonaka, read SRK, watched tournament videos and tutorial videos, tried to ask for help on here and other boards, etc, etc, and it just doesn't seem like that wall is anywhere in sight. I'm still getting bodied and I'm not fully understanding why, I still don't like playing as Naoto at all (nor do I really like the rest of the cast), and I have exerted a tremendous amount of effort to try to learn a game that has only really been more frustrating than anything else in recent memory.

Try taking a break from the game for a few days, you might find yourself doing better with a clearer mind.

TWILT

Banned

I don't mean to be rude/an elitist or anything like that, but honestly, if this game hasn't clicked with you after all this time...maybe it just isn't for you.

Onemic

Although I had to leave prematurly, if you like naoto mecha, stick with her. You did much better when you finally started using her traps. You shouldn't be going in on me so much because you're pretty much letting me play my game instead of yours.

Geneijin

Perhaps your struggles are mainly matchup inexperience? The way I get better is getting exposed and losing is a part of that. If you have troubles understanding why you're still losing after a number of games or aren't experimenting enough as your learning, then maybe you want to look at your own replays or have someone spectate your play. Sometimes, the easiest way to learn is to ask that person what it is you're losing to.

Also, if you don't like playing Naoto at all, I would consider finding a new main.

Curufinwe

So if anyone else is having trouble finding any Teddie or Labrys/Shabrys opponents online and wants to get the Speak with Your Fists achievement out of the way, add me on Xbox Live and we can play a few rounds as each of them, or whoever you haven't faced yet.

Onemic

ggs mecha. The thing with mitsu is that you dont want to mash against her, or else you eat a fuckton of damage. especially if you're anywhere close to the corner as she can corner carry like crazy. Which character do you actually enjoy using?

Noi

Perhaps your struggles are mainly matchup inexperience? The way I get better is getting exposed and losing is a part of that. If you have troubles understanding why you're still losing after a number of games or aren't experimenting enough as your learning, then maybe you want to look at your own replays or have someone spectate your play. Sometimes, the easiest way to learn is to ask that person what it is you're losing to.

Also, if you don't like playing Naoto at all, I would consider finding a new main.

This is accurate. I lost twice against Onemic before I got 10 straight wins on our last set. :3

Onemic

This is accurate. I lost twice against Onemic before I got 10 straight wins on our last set. :3

I hate you noi ;_;

I wanna rematch! Im so free against lab/slab :(

MechaX

Okay, a lot of quotes to address here...

Try taking a break from the game for a few days, you might find yourself doing better with a clearer mind.

To be honest, that's exactly what I did before coming back to it yesterday, and well...

I don't mean to be rude/an elitist or anything like that, but honestly, if this game hasn't clicked with you after all this time...maybe it just isn't for you.

Yeah, you may be right. If I can't get the game to click even after all this effort, then perhaps it really was more of a waste than anything else.

Sounds like Yu is your character. Maybe lab as well.

I'm more ambivalent to Lab, but the main thing about Yu that trips me up is that for all the talk on how he is similar to Ky he... really isn't that much similar to him at all. Or at the very least, I found it much easier to adapt to CSE oki games as opposed to messing around with Izanagi.

Although I had to leave prematurly, if you like naoto mecha, stick with her. You did much better when you finally started using her traps. You shouldn't be going in on me so much because you're pretty much letting me play my game instead of yours.

Well, that did work, until you quickly figured out that attacking the traps is often a much safer alternative than leaving them on the field. Combined that with Mitsuru's super fast whip and 6k combos... Yeah.

Whenever I have someone spectate, most times I am told "well, you shouldn't have let this one attack go into a combo well over 2/3rds of your life." Well, that kind of helps, I guess. And more often than not, I get hate mail from random ranked players even when they demolish me, so that avenue is out.

ggs mecha. The thing with mitsu is that you dont want to mash against her, or else you eat a fuckton of damage. especially if you're anywhere close to the corner as she can corner carry like crazy. Which character do you actually enjoy using?

To be fair, I actually don't enjoy using anyone so far. At first I chalked that up to me just being inexperienced with most characters, but it's like there is no character that I have dabbled with that makes the matchups particularly fun.

Noi

To be fair, I actually don't enjoy using anyone so far. At first I chalked that up to me just being inexperienced with most characters, but it's like there is no character that I have dabbled with that makes the matchups particularly fun.

Just wanted to point out, I was in your shoes early when the game came out. The closest thing to a character I liked was Yukiko since she's this game's pure zoner, but I couldn't really get into her like I could other zoners like Lambda in CSEX. That and my horrible matchup against Q's Shabrys led me to explore other characters, until I ended up settling on Labrys, who was someone I'd originally written off since I'm no good with rushdown characters. I still can't combo for shit with her, but I'm very comfortable playing as her due to how simple her overall movelist is so when I lost, I can easily blame it on my execution more so than unfamiliarity with the character.

BASICALLY, my suggestions would be to give other characters another shot. I pictured myself using Naoto or Aigis before the came out cause they're the people I like the most, but have no regrets sticking to Lab.

Geneijin

Whenever I have someone spectate, most times I am told "well, you shouldn't have let this one attack go into a combo well over 2/3rds of your life." Well, that kind of helps, I guess.
I don't like like that type of advice honestly. For example, when to Burst, what move is susceptible to a FC combo, etc are stuff I rather figure out by experience as it's easier for me to understand than simply being told what not to do if I can't apply it myself.

And more often than not, I get hate mail from random ranked players even when they demolish me, so that avenue is out.
Play more player matches, less rank. Longer sets against one player helps. It's not even because rank is only one set, but if you facing a multitude of different matchups and struggling against all of them for example, it's not very conducive to the improvement of your game. You'd be better learning one matchup at a time than several.

MechaX, you will never get good enough to the point where no one can body you. No one will.

Even the best players in Japan get bodied by certain players. It's just part of the game.

Also, will be available to play in one hour.

Onemic

ggs noi

man im so damn free against labrys. A player totally new to her can present a serious challenge to me. It feels like she shuts down almost all my options. I can barely do hitconfirms against her which destroys my whole throw/counter game. Not to mention she's one of the matchups where my most damaging combos don't work against her(along with yosuke, slab, akihiko, and mitsuru mirror)

MechaX

Just wanted to point out, I was in your shoes early when the game came out. The closest thing to a character I liked was Yukiko since she's this game's pure zoner, but I couldn't really get into her like I could other zoners like Lambda in CSEX. That and my horrible matchup against Q's Shabrys led me to explore other characters, until I ended up settling on Labrys, who was someone I'd originally written off since I'm no good with rushdown characters. I still can't combo for shit with her, but I'm very comfortable playing as her due to how simple her overall movelist is so when I lost, I can easily blame it on my execution more so than unfamiliarity with the character.

BASICALLY, my suggestions would be to give other characters another shot. I pictured myself using Naoto or Aigis before the came out cause they're the people I like the most, but have no regrets sticking to Lab.

I'll definitely keep that in mind and give some of the other characters another look, even ones that I completely wrote off due to play-style stuff. At the very least, I feel like Lab is one of my best shots; I never felt particularly attached to her, but I never had a particularly bad time when playing as her.

I don't like like that type of advice honestly. For example, when to Burst, what move is susceptible to a FC combo, etc are stuff I rather figure out by experience as it's easier for me to understand than simply being told what not to do if I can't apply it myself.

Play more player matches, less rank. Longer sets against one player helps. It's not even because rank is only one set, but if you facing a multitude of different matchups and struggling against all of them for example, it's not very conducive to the improvement of your game. You'd be better learning one matchup at a time than several.

In that case, I'll start looking towards player matches from now on. The rotation wait can get unbearable at times, but that might be something that I'll just have to get used to.

MechaX, you will never get good enough to the point where no one can body you. No one will.

Even the best players in Japan get bodied by certain players. It's just part of the game.

That's true, but getting bodied in the scenario where you truly feel like you're learning something out of it is the key, as opposed to getting bodied without fully being able to learn from it. With most of the characters I have been using now, it has essentially been trying to force a square peg into a round hole (with the additional frustration being that even on paper, some characters should be good fits but just are not for reasons that still kind of elude me).

Onemic

I'll definitely keep that in mind and give some of the other characters another look, even ones that I completely wrote off due to play-style stuff. At the very least, I feel like Lab is one of my best shots; I never felt particularly attached to her, but I never had a particularly bad time when playing as her.

ya you gave me problems when you used her against me. Then again I am totally free to labrys.

In that case, I'll start looking towards player matches from now on. The rotation wait can get unbearable at times, but that might be something that I'll just have to get used to.

Just do 1v1 player matches. I can't stand multiplayer lobbies.

Geneijin

Look for 4-person lobbies at most to cut down on wait times or 1v1 with some of the others in P4A-GAF. I'd volunteer to play right now, but the most useless matchup experience in the game is Yosuke :p

MechaX

Actually, now that I think of it, I did legitimately have fun playing as Liz, even if I derp through every match with her.

MechaX

Okay, crisis averted for now. Lab is still okay, but Liz is actually very funny to me. I need to look at some combos for her.

Onemic

Good games. I guess you left for dinner?

I noticed you almost got that 5k combo off of me. Looks like you've been practicing.

ya, im back now if you want to play some more.

Ive gotten that combo off before, the problem is I really have a hard time setting it up against labrys as its hard to go into my sweep fake game with her. I still don't know what to do against labrys. She scares the shit outta me.

ya, im back now if you want to play some more.

Ive gotten that combo off before, the problem is I really have a hard time setting it up against labrys as its hard to go into my sweep fake game with her. I still don't know what to do against labrys. She scares the shit outta me.

Sure you do. It's all pressure. You even got a perfect on me.

Best way to win is to pressure your opponent so they are afraid to try things and have to keep on guessing to avoid taking damage.

If you can keep the momentum on your side you can win matches pretty quickly.

Onemic

ggs poorfate

I think this is the most frustrated I've been since the beginning of the game when I kept getting bodied by Yukiko. I don't know what the fuck to do when facing a labrys user. Bare with me as since I'm really salty right now Im might take some things out of my ass.

What are labs strengths and weaknesses and what is unsafe with her? it seems like any combo/blockstring she does is extremely safe and completely unpunishable. You could go into a blockstring end with that overhead and id never be able to punish you no matter what I used, dp's included. the only thing I found punishable were continuous B attacks as they aren't true block strings, but beyond that nothing. Not only that but her ability to get in at will is off the charts, her chain thing is a 50/50 mixup whether you get hit or blocked and seems like a legitimate free get in card, for no meter unlike Chie who needs awakening for meteors. getting in for me is the biggest pain in the ass against her next to only Naoto. her DP is great in that it catches you totally off guard as theres no indicator that its coming out. one 5a from mitsu and as long as its not charged you're eating a dp plus a full punish, free offense starter plus an increase in axe level. her 2B destroys my air game, and her jb is tricky as hell. Not only that Lab is one of the few characters where I have to use different less damaging combos as my normal ones dont work on her.

I try and pressure you and your 2b stops me dead in my tracks most of the time. Those matches I won were through complete luck with my 4b punish.

rant over, I will now stop playing and wallow in saltiness. ;_;

ggs poorfate

I think this is the most frustrated I've been since the beginning of the game when I kept getting bodied by Yukiko. I don't know what the fuck to do when facing a labrys user. Bare with me as since I'm really salty right now Im might take some things out of my ass.

What are labs strengths and weaknesses and what is unsafe with her? it seems like any combo/blockstring she does is extremely safe and completely unpunishable. You could go into a blockstring end with that overhead and id never be able to punish you no matter what I used, dp's included. the only thing I found punishable were continuous B attacks as they aren't true block strings, but beyond that nothing. Not only that but her ability to get in at will is off the charts, her chain thing is a 50/50 mixup whether you get hit or blocked and seems like a legitimate free get in card, for no meter unlike Chie who needs awakening for meteors. getting in for me is the biggest pain in the ass against her next to only Naoto. her DP is great in that it catches you totally off guard as theres no indicator that its coming out. one 5a from mitsu and as long as its not charged you're eating a dp plus a full punish, free offense starter plus an increase in axe level. her 2B destroys my air game, and her jb is tricky as hell. Not only that Lab is one of the few characters where I have to use different less damaging combos as my normal ones dont work on her.

I try and pressure you and your 2b stops me dead in my tracks most of the time. Those matches I won were through complete luck with my 4b punish.

rant over, I will now stop playing and wallow in saltiness. ;_;

Labrys' strengths are her long hitstun and moujuu D damage with red axe for EZ mode combo's and damage. She has nice range on her attacks but they are kind of slow so you have to put them out ahead of time. 5AA, sweep, guillotine A, and a few other things are safe on block. The chain is unsafe on miss/block, so if I throw it out at the wrong time I can be punished easily. You can DP the second part of it(pull in). Her DP is nice but half the time you ended up on the opposite side of me so I had to use it more conservatively. I also didn't use 2B that much since Mitsuru can hit her before the axe touches her so I had to rely on 5A for anti air.

The matches you won weren't luck. 90% of fighting games is guessing what your opponent is going to do based on previous experience and you guessed right during those times. The trick is to try to stay unpredictable and not fall into patterns that get punished/read easily.

Top Bottom