• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Busaiku

qfpNI.gif

I thought you mained Yosuke in the beginning?

he did. I remember losing to him in the gaf tournament =(. Was so close to getting 2nd.\

Anybody want to play? message me here first if yes. Otherwise I'll try to finish my backlog before my "a new game a week" event comes.

RoeBear

I thought you mained Yosuke in the beginning?

Haha I've kinda messed around with everyone I did play as Yosuke in the tourney when I lost cause I was hoping it would throw people off my Akihiko, but I really never got used to his fast play style. I do still dabble in him every once in a while.

Onemic

We need another GAF tourney like a ranbat or something. I'd be totally down to organize and host it but my connection is ass :(

vall03

oh man, its been a couple of weeks since I last played the game and its pretty evident how I really really suck at fighting games. I noticed how I used auto-attack a lot today and how Im falling for the same tricks over and over again. And I still have a lot of awful habits in my play style. Guess I'll just played a bit more to get that 100 online matches trophy and battle against all characters trophy. *sigh*

Shito

Haven't played in like 5 days and it shows.
Still, my crappy and veeeeery basic Liz already granted me two rage-quits, in player matches mind you!

What I prefer about Mitsuru's DP is that it beats Yu's one, clean. <3

[EDIT]
Got exposed by a decent Mitsuru, my rusty one lost 9-2, but I learned quite a few things along the way.
By the way, onemic, you were speaking about combos not working on certain "light" characters, the other day: which one are they? '__'

Beckx

Correct, which means I'm basically fucked against that super. Fuck Teddie. :| *snaps the disc in half*

*doesn't snap the disc in half but still is pissed*

How are you (and other Aki players) doing with Akihiko generally?

I took time off from every other game to finish P3P. Now that's in the books I need to dust off my Akihiko and get back to owning face
getting bodied

We need another GAF tourney like a ranbat or something.

Yes!

Onemic

Haven't played in like 5 days and it shows.
Still, my crappy and veeeeery basic Liz already granted me two rage-quits, in player matches mind you!

What I prefer about Mitsuru's DP is that it beats Yu's one, clean. <3

[EDIT]
Got exposed by a decent Mitsuru, my rusty one lost 9-2, but I learned quite a few things along the way.
By the way, onemic, you were speaking about combos not working on certain "light" characters, the other day: which one are they? '__'

They work, but the timing is really weird and very strict, so I just use less damaging ones against them.

Akihiko, Yosuke, Lab, Slab, and Mitsuru are the ones that have different timings for mitsus j.B> j.C combos.

If you're on PSN add me. I can't play mitsu mirrors for the life of me. I play like a day one mitsu in them, no combos or anything.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Any word on whether the alleged EU release date this Friday is legit? Still waiting for Midnight...

Geneijin

he did. I remember losing to him in the gaf tournament =(. Was so close to getting 2nd.\

Anybody want to play? message me here first if yes. Otherwise I'll try to finish my backlog before my "a new game a week" event comes.
Haha I've kinda messed around with everyone I did play as Yosuke in the tourney when I lost cause I was hoping it would throw people off my Akihiko, but I really never got used to his fast play style. I do still dabble in him every once in a while.
Ah, how disappointing :(

I like:

Yu -> Yosuke -> Chie -> Yukiko -> Teddie -> Kanji -> Naoto -> Aigis -> Akihiko -> Mitsuru -> Labrys -> repeat previous list to finish cliffhangers -> Elizabeth

I got burnt out going through the first 4 since they are basically the same thing, and all are too long. Way too much text in this game.

Busaiku

Nothing makes me saltier than playing you onemic, except playing you and then waiting however long only to lose in 15 seconds again.

Onemic

ggs Busaiku and hypernima

learned a little bit more about which characters are safe to 4BFC on a blocked well spaced droit.(Teddie, Akihiko, and Chie are really easy to do it to) slab will forever be one of my worst matchups because of her dp. And I will forever be free to Labrys for the same reasons among others.

Honestly busaiku all you have to do is utilize Teddie bat and items more. There was a Teddie that I faced from GAF that uses a keepaway method and fighting him was the most aggravating thing ever.

hypernima

Banned
Most characters can't punish her Droit B, and while some could, it's very risky and not worthwhile. Plus, it's safe on block I believe.

I'm going to have to drop Akihiko for the Mitsuru Matchup.
He can't really do anything besides 214 a/b or 214c/d 4b on reaction, and thats pretty hard to do.

onemic why the fuck did you respect Liz so much though when I used her? I don't even know more than 2 combos with her.

Onemic

Most characters can't punish her Droit B, and while some could, it's very risky and not worthwhile. Plus, it's safe on block I believe.

Droit is weird in that both versions are unsafe, but it's spacing dependent. Her B droit is punishable if you use it up close and are blocked(but really if you use her B droit up close you deserve to get punished) fully charged though it's completely safe. A droit is unsafe on block but once again it's dependent on spacing, and I'd pretty much say it's safe as long as you block right after doing it.

Well spaced droits though, can actually be to mitsus advantage even though they're unsafe due to its range. If you hit someone with the tip of A droit, even though you're something like -2 on block you have advantage due to characters inability to punish with a long enough range normal. That's why a 4B after a well spaced A droit is deadly because most players will just assume they can attack, and they press a button or DP and they eat a FC combo.

Only characters where well spaced droits don't matter as much are Lab, slab, Kanji, Naoto, and Yosuke due to their DP's. If they press any other button though they eat a FC combo.

I'm going to have to drop Akihiko for the Mitsuru Matchup.
He can't really do anything besides 214 a/b or 214c/d 4b on reaction, and thats pretty hard to do.

onemic why the fuck did you respect Liz so much though when I used her? I don't even know more than 2 combos with her.

Her throw DP has historically caused me problems even though I should be able to punish her hard with a well placed blocked droit into 4B.

Yeah, I think 214A should be able to beat a spaced blocked droit into 4B. I would think it's fast enough.

Busaiku

Isn't Labrys's Furious Action better than Shadow Labrys's?

And the bat is way too slow and unsafe for me.
I can never throw it out where you can't punish me. I honestly don't know why you should be dying to it in the 1st place.
I can't follow up on it with anything unless I get wallstick and with Mitsuru, you can easily escape from that situation.

Same with items.

Onemic

Isn't Labrys's Furious Action better than Shadow Labrys's?

And the bat is way too slow and unsafe for me.
I can never throw it out where you can't punish me. I honestly don't know why you should be dying to it in the 1st place.

With the bat it's all about anticipation rather than using it on reaction. For Teddies items just be throwing them out the entire match. If you saw my matches with Morrissey he was able to use his items and bat to punish me hard and limit my gameplan.

At least for me slabs is better because it destroys my gameplan entirely. labs only shuts down a few of my options.

hypernima

Banned
Her throw DP has historically caused me problems even though I should be able to punish her hard with a well placed blocked droit into 4B.

Yeah, I think 214A should be able to beat a spaced blocked droit into 4B. I would think it's fast enough.

Tech it, Droit, and hope you don't eat 5B or 5D (dunno if 5D is possible havent tested it.)
I intentionally did it RIGHT after you finish your active frames of Droit, because you can't do anything about it. I really need to learn how to confirm my combos in this game though.

Busaiku

Yukiko's Instant Kill is clearly the cheapest in the game.
I mean 0 frame startup, full screen, unblockable? There's no other way I would get hit by that 100% of the time.

TWILT

Banned
Yukiko's Instant Kill is clearly the cheapest in the game.
I mean 0 frame startup, full screen, unblockable? There's no other way I would get hit by that 100% of the time.

Dude no. :lol

I'd say she has one of the better ones in the game though.

BlackJace

I thought it was pretty clear that I wasn't serious (well, I was about getting hit with it 100% of the time).

For some reason I couldn't detect sarcasm. All she does is just send her Persona right at you in a straight charge right? I think what I would always do was super jump and avoid it altogether.

Top Bottom