• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Solune

I dunno, did the region-lock outrage damage the momentum a bit?
GAF seemed enraged.

Perhaps in EU anyways. Honestly, the domestic (JP) release matters the most to the developers so if it's making them money, which it is, there will be a follow up.

I think you just simplify the bursts as:

Blue - Defense - get out of combos.

Gold - Offense- anticipating that an opponent is going to press buttons. This would blow though that on block/whiff?

One more - Combos/ Offense - Making punishable moves safe to trick the opponent. Being able to combo into things you normally wouldn't be able to.

Gold burst also gives you full meter if it hits.

I dunno, did the region-lock outrage damage the momentum a bit?
GAF seemed enraged.

I'm still bothered by it since I own two Japanese systems. I'm less pissed since it's been discovered that the Asian version will work on Japanese systems. With that, the difference in cost from the NA version to Asian version is something like $5 more for me.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Gold burst also only takes half burst gauge I think

Unless Im thinking of something else

Probably thinking One More/Roman Cancels/whatever you want to call them.

Burst is burst is burst. No matter if you use it defense (blue) or offense (gold) it's going to take a full Burst meter to do.

Lunar15

Dumb question, but my memory is foggy. Is the TV World actually called Mayonaka?

In the japanese version it was called Mayonaka Television (Mayonaka TV). In the english version, it's the Midnight Channel.

Otherwise they just called it "The TV world".

MarkusRJR

I haven't played any fighters beyond Smash Bros. Would this be a good way to get into the genre? My love for Persona made me pre-order the game + buy the silver "fixed d-pad" Xbox controller.

TheSeks

I still call it P4U (and want a reversable cover, Nich. :|) because that sounds better than "Persona 4: Arena/P4A"

Scratch

Probably thinking One More/Roman Cancels/whatever you want to call them.

Burst is burst is burst. No matter if you use it defense (blue) or offense (gold) it's going to take a full Burst meter to do.

Actually...

Pressing A+C+D while in a neutral state (meaning not attacking, blocking, or getting hit) will perform an Max Burst (also known as a Gold Burst). If the opponent is hit by an Max Burst, then the opponent is blown back and your SP will fill to max automatically (100 normally and 150 when in Awakening). The Burst gauge will also automatically start from 25% full instead of completely empty.

Taken from the dustloop persona 4 arena wiki.
And here's some visual proof

Onemic

OT question, but does anyone know if Guilty Gear on PSN/XBL will be the new Accent Core Plus R or just Accent Core Plus? It will heavily affect my decision in getting the game.

vocab

OT question, but does anyone know if Guilty Gear on PSN/XBL will be the new Accent Core Plus R or just Accent Core Plus? It will heavily affect my decision in getting the game.

Λ Core Plus. Not the newest one in arcades. So ya....

Scratch

yeah that's what I thought

like GG, RC's in this game are just meter dependent not burst.

well technically you can use your burst meter to create a pseudo rapid cancel.

Press A+C+D while performing an attack to immediately cancel your attack into a One More! Burst. One More! Bursts completely empty the Burst Gauge.

One More Bursts have the following properties:

-Blow the opponent into the air on hit, allowing for an easy combo
-Upscales damage scaling, meaning further hits in the combo will do more damage than they otherwise would.

also taken from the p4a dustloop wiki

TheSeks

Actually...

Taken from the dustloop persona 4 arena wiki.
And here's some visual proof

You're not disproving my theory.

Burst: Get-off-me attack/defense attack. It uses a full meter no matter which option you use. If the offense lands you gain 25% Burst Refill in P4U, compared to the burst being totally gone in GG and BB.

You still need a full burst meter to burst. It does not remove 50% of the Burst gauge on a successful offensive burst hit. That's my point, he's talking about a mechanic that allows you to change a move on something with 50% meter, and I said "that isn't burst because it takes a full meter."

Yeah, you can "roman cancel, one-more, whatever you call it" a move with a burst, but it isn't practical because you're wasting "meter"/burst gauge to do that for what is a super/tension/SP bar gauge mechanic.

Scratch

You're not disproving my theory.

Burst: Get-off-me attack/defense attack. It uses a full meter no matter which option you use. If the offense lands you gain 25% Burst Refill in P4U, compared to the burst being totally gone in GG and BB.

You still need a full burst meter to burst. It does not remove 50% of the Burst gauge on a successful offensive burst hit. That's my point, he's talking about a mechanic that allows you to change a move on something with 50% meter, and I said "that isn't burst because it takes a full meter."

Yeah, you can "roman cancel, one-more, whatever you call it" a move with a burst, but it isn't practical because you're wasting "meter"/burst gauge to do that for what is a super/tension/SP bar gauge mechanic.

i wasn't disproving you at all. he asked tentatively about the gold burst mechanic. you said he was probably thinking of something else. i linked something to show that he was thinking of the right mechanic.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
May just buy this, been needing some new persona in my life which ever way I can get it.

Bro, I payed off my pre-order and I'm probably one of the worst fighting game players on GAF. You go get you some Persona.

Infinite

Is it easy compared to, say, Marvel?

You think Marvel is "easy"? Define easy.

The combo system is easy to catch so far. Air combos can be a little tricky initially but you'll get used to it. Things like instant turn around air dash can also be a bit challenging at first.

TheSeks

Given GG:XX:^C+ has no release date yet for PSN/XBLA, it's up in the air. Running theory is no but who knows. Maybe that'll change if Arc has some sense.

Snakeyes

All you have to say is "rumors about demons" and BAM, whole Persona 2 cast in the background.

Ulala Serizawa
Maya Amano
Katsuya Suou
Baofu

C'mon son.
Well, I could see Maya traveling to Inaba to get the scoop on the murders and Ulala tagging along just for kicks. Katsuya could maybe have a Naoto connection. Wouldn't Baofu be in his mid-forties by then?

Junpei (Trismegistus) - Slow sword user with range and priority like Hakumen.
Yukari (Isis) - Annoying projectile character like Guile.
Maya (Maia) - Water element user, fighting style resembles Noel's.
Ulala (Callisto) - Ground element user, boxer/grappler hybrid. Maybe she could be similar to say, Kevin from Garou.

Would be a nicely balanced list of additions IMO.

Besides, pitting anyone from the P1/2 cast against the newer Persona characters would be pretty damn unfair. I mean, every single one of them are roughly on Minato's level. :p

TWILT

Banned
You think Marvel is "easy"? Define easy.

The combo system is easy to catch so far. Air combos can be a little tricky initially but you'll get used to it. Things like instant turn around air dash can also be a bit challenging at first.

Well Marvel 3 is pretty input lenient. I find it really easy to do a basic Ryu LMHS combo for example. Not saying the game itself is easy; just the combo system (I am horrible at explaining stuff). Thank for the info though.

If marvel is easy, then this game is fisher price my first fighting game

:dead

Man, including autocombos in this games seems like such a brilliant moves. Yesterday I just played this game with a friend of mine who are not interested in fighting game at all. Autocombos stuff lured him in and after a few match we start learning deeper, that was really fun.

TheSeks

Man, including autocombos in this games seems like such a brilliant moves. Yesterday I just played this game with a friend of mine who are not interested in fighting game at all. Autocombos stuff lured him in and after a few match we start learning deeper, that was really fun.

It really is a good way of letting casuals play without completely breaking the game.

I'm also glad that Arc seemed to learn from Broken Mode (er-"Beginner Mode") Troel (er-"Noel") BBBBBBBBBBBBB (whatever that is in Broken mode, CCCCCCCC?) ... BBBBBBA (mix-up) 66 (or 44 if facing left) *dash* BBBBBBBB... looping trolling in ranked mode (until they patched it. :() that CS1/2 had in that the auto-combos here end (if they have SP) in a super, if not they just end with no loop-ability. Let's the opponent at least attempt to get out of it.

Top Bottom