• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

They are basicly what if versions of characters, designed broken as fuck and not balanced on purpose. Makoto in blazblue literally got dudely's move set for her Unlimited complete with Dempsey roll super that did 100% life damage. Oh and she get's the sf3 makoto's kick super lol

In guilty gear, sol get's his old GG1 moveset back with tweaks

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPwLnQjZdcw This video is better

So they just do a lot of damage? I don't have a frame of reference for these videos. I still don't get why you couldn't just have everybody use unlimited versions. One combo kills?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
So they just do a lot of damage? I don't have a frame of reference for these videos. I still don't get why you couldn't just have everybody use unlimited versions. One combo kills?

Because some characters unlimted are VASTLY better. Also they are not in the arcade release of the games, and they are not play tested. Yes they all have more life than normal and do more damage than normal as well. They are snk bosses/mugen characters pretty much

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Tager can't dash normally. Unlimited Tager can close the gap between you in two seconds with his unlimited run speed.

And he's a grappler.

Yeah... can you say "fear of god put in you when he dashes to close the gap to grab you?"

Because it would turn into Hokuto no Ken on steroids.

That's what I'm saying. It's obviously going to be crazier, but does it actually ruin the game? If everybody has an unlimited version, doesn't it still wind up working out? Or are they actually different rather than better?

Tager can't dash normally. Unlimited Tager can close the gap between you in two seconds with his unlimited run speed.

And he's a grappler.

Yeah... can you say "fear of god put in you when he dashes to close the gap to grab you?"

So they get new moves? Tager couldn't run?

Noi

Outdated, since it's from way back in CT, but here's a video of a regular Ragna fighting Unlimited Ragna. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsSYlQjGHU4

Notice how he's a lot faster, deals an absurd amount of damage on his supers, AND heals for an absurd amount each time.

Onemic

OT, but just a general 2d sprite question, is there any way for sprites to have AA? One thing I always notice with sprites especially so for HD ones is that they always have a fuckton of aliasing, which makes them a lot look worse than they should imo.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Anyone else not really feeling the sprite work for this game? Everything just looks kind of... cheap I guess. You know like, low quality.

mollipen

Yosuke is truly a poor man's version of Junpei. I want Junpei in this game and he holds his sword like a baseball bat :)

Junpei was a hugely unlikable character. As soon as I had the chance not to have him in my party, I got him out and never looked back. He's even worse once you switch over to FeMC.

Junpei automatically loses points because Chidori was ugly as fuck

Whoa whoa whoa. I have no love for Junpei, but the one redeeming quality he has is that he went after the red-haired Gothic Lolita girl. That's top-quality picking there!

Junpei was a hugely unlikable character. As soon as I had the chance not to have him in my party, I got him out and never looked back. He's even worse once you switch over to FeMC.

So, so true. Yosuke is better at the whole douchebag thing anyway- he's a character you actively love to think is a prat. Junpei grates.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!

Whoa whoa whoa. I have no love for Junpei, but the one redeeming quality he has is that he went after the red-haired Gothic Lolita girl. That's top-quality picking there!

So, so true. Yosuke is better at the whole douchebag thing anyway- he's a character you actively love to think is a prat. Junpei grates.
Never played P3P, but is this true? Hard to imagine he'd be an even bigger dick to feMC

SerRodrik

Junpei is more aggravating in the beginning, but by the end he's grown a lot. I seem to remember being very impressed by his maturity in the Answer. Yosuke started less annoying, but I never got the same sense of an arc for him. Heck, towards the end of the game he was the biggest advocate for
killing Namatame

That's what I'm saying. It's obviously going to be crazier, but does it actually ruin the game? If everybody has an unlimited version, doesn't it still wind up working out? Or are they actually different rather than better?
Does anyone outside of Japan even play HnK anymore? It will fuck everything over if unlimited characters were used. They are different and far better.

You'd understand if you ever use a few of them and see for yourself.

ezekial45

Banned
Just curious. Does this game have any extra modes like the GG series had? I'm kinda hoping something like the Mission Mode from GGX2, where you fight in special matches with different conditions and against powered up versions.

I'm gonna be disappointed if it's just Arcade/Story, practice and online matches.

Hex

Banned
Finally had some time in the training mode, game is very smooth and sleek My road to domination with Elizabeth is a bumpy one, because that low life really hurts when your opponent hits awakened state.Yosuke is soooo nasty and cheesy.
Mitsu is also nasty and I think that you will see alot of people picking her up.

Kuugrr

Is anybody else's Amazon delivery estimate like, Friday? I'm considering just canceling it and going to pick up the game at a local store on Tuesday.

Busaiku

Just curious. Does this game have any extra modes like the GG series had? I'm kinda hoping something like the Mission Mode from GGX2, where you fight in special matches with different conditions and against powered up versions.

I'm gonna be disappointed if it's just Arcade/Story, practice and online matches.

It's got score attack and challenge mode.

Is anybody else's Amazon delivery estimate like, Friday? I'm considering just canceling it and going to pick up the game at a local store on Tuesday.

Mine still hasn't shipped but it's estimated to come Tuesday. I really hope it does because I don't have any other way to go get it this week.

Busaiku

Just get it from NewEgg, it's $10 off there.
EMCNBNG58 - using that code.

Unless you've gotta get it launch day.

Hex

Banned

Arcade
Story
Challenge
Practice
And a replay viewer

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Never played P3P, but is this true? Hard to imagine he'd be an even bigger dick to feMC

Not really, no.

When FemMC is appointed leader he's all 'SHE'S A GIRL" and that's really it from what I remember.

Hell his whole SL is
Him finding out someone was taking pics of FemMC in her gym uniform and selling them and him finding out who it is.

Kuugrr

Mine still hasn't shipped but it's estimated to come Tuesday. I really hope it does because I don't have any other way to go get it this week.

What the hell, man? I coulda sworn my pre-order estimate was the 7th too at one point, but now it's the 10th.

Sadface.

Just get it from NewEgg, it's $10 off there.
EMCNBNG58 - using that code.

Unless you've gotta get it launch day.

That's kinda cool. But yeah, I do want it on launch day. Saving money would make not having it a little better, though... hm.

Sophia

More like the developers friendzoned feMC.

With all the dudes she gets? Naaah.

Mine has already shipped and it's listed for Tuesday. Did you order late? >.<;

Speaking of which, it's actually departing from Kentucky, so there's a rare chance I may get it Monday even o_O;

Kuugrr

Mine has already shipped and it's listed for Tuesday. Did you order late? >.<;

Speaking of which, it's actually departing from Kentucky, so there's a rare chance I may get it Monday even o_O;

I ordered like a month ago. :(

So much for Prime shipping...

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I like Junpei. Haven't beat all of P3 (70 hours in...) and towards the end of the P4 anime (wanted to watch it before Arena!), and... I wouldn't compare Junpei and Yosuke, really.

They might both be your main friend, but Yosuke feels initially mature, like he's a brat who'se growing out of his old ways, but still has them.

Junpei felt like a real bud that you'd know at that age; it's his flaws that makes him an endearing character, and I did feel like I got to see him grow into something similiar to what Yosuke already starts at.

Having Vic Mignona voice a character in the game is always a bonus too, so even more reason to have Junpei:)

OT, but just a general 2d sprite question, is there any way for sprites to have AA? One thing I always notice with sprites especially so for HD ones is that they always have a fuckton of aliasing, which makes them a lot look worse than they should imo.

Closest thing to AA on sprites like this is all the "smear" filters you see in games. But with ASW stuff, these are sprites made to fit the res of modern TVs. When at their native res, you're seeing them as they intend for them to look.

I think of it like painting, personally; The motion of the strokes in a painting actually brings out something extra in the art. Same with Spritework; being able to see the little minutia of 1 dot details gives it a feeling of "fine detail" that wouldn't exist if it was just a cel-shaded, flash-like picture asset.

Anyone else not really feeling the sprite work for this game? Everything just looks kind of... cheap I guess. You know like, low quality.

No worse than anything else ASW does! While I could complain about the animation quality itself (there's WAY too much "Still character, with 2 frame billowy jacket / scarf / hair / etc stuff going on), I actualy think the images themselves look quite classy, and considerate-of-depth in the way they're drawn. Even totally "lame" stuff like Yu's *BROFIST* jabs (talk about not putting any weight behind your punches!) somehow look really cool, and fitting to the personality he gives off.

I look forward to seeing if my opinion sways any once I get the game in my hands on Tuesday... but I really doubt it!

Top Bottom