• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

vocab

BB felt incredibly slow to me. Q is right the game is good, but it may not be good for some. Which is why no one plays the same fighting game.

BB characters are overly complex compared to most games, and it turns a lot of people off.

Astral

My hype for new games always dies as the release date draws near. For no real reason either. I'm still getting it though.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Never play UMVC3 then lol.
I did. Had more fun with it than BB, but yeah, too crazy for me. If I spent a week with it though it might be another story.

I've purchased just about every big fighter for the 360 that isn't Tekken related.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Never play UMVC3 then lol.

I dunno. MvC is pretty accessible with 236/214 inputs being the "hardest" thing on it (okay maybe 41236/63214's. I don't think it has 360's/grapple combos.

Speed and damage rate/high-damage combos is what throws people off Marvel, really.

Blazblue's issue is that while the tutorial explains the basics (at least in CS1/2) okay, it doesn't fully show them and wants you to pull of combinations of the move and idea behind it without really "showing" you/explaining in more detail. Plus the characters are too varied to where they don't have similar ideas behind them besides the system. Arakune plays different from Hakumen who plays different from Ragna who plays different from Jin who plays different from...

Yeah, you can "ice car" command as Ragna, but his drive and general movements/gameplay isn't the same as that ice-car.

Sophia

Erm, Ice Car is Jin.

Also, I wouldn't take anything you see in Challenge Mode as a representation of the actual game. A portion of all the combos seen for each character are impractical to pull off in an actual fight. It's decent for learning simple combos however.

P4A's got a pretty good Tutorial mode compared to other fighting games, I don't think you'll run into the issues that you see in Blazblue. It's more accessible.

B00TE

Dawn of the Hype Train:

24 hours remaining.

Haha, was wondering if I'd see this.

Considering joining the Steak Army after seeing Brett play Chie for a bit. Up to three characters that I'd really like to play, so I'm already at a better start than I was for Blazblue. Only ever cared to play Ragna.

vocab

Erm, Ice Car is Jin.

No he means the commands like 236 + A don't transfer to character to character. None of the characters share any similarities what so ever. Like if you play street fighter. Most motion characters with 236 have projectiles. So you can pick up characters way more quicker, and feel more comfortable.

BlackJace

Do what I do, which is attack Arcade and Story for weeks. When confident enough, get online and kick some ass.

BlazBlue was overcomplicated though. It's the only fighting game I tried my hardest to learn, but gave up

Sophia

No he means the commands like 236 + A don't transfer to character to character. Like if you play street fighter. Most motion characters with 236 are projectiles. So you can pick up characters way more quicker, and feel more comfortable.

Oooh, I see. Misread his post then.

I think the hardest part of P4A will be learning the individual game systems, and if you've played a previous ASW game, you've already got a lot of those down. The characters themselves (except maybe Naoto?) aren't terribly complex. Hell, Aigis's seems extremely simple on paper. :p

TheSeks

Erm, Ice Car is Jin.

I know. You misread. While you can get a similar attack as Ragna, it isn't the same.

Whereas in Marvel you may have Wolverine Rush/Berserk Slash toward the enemy but it's mechanically the same as Ryu's Hadoken with the same command.

TWILT

Banned
Can kinda understand why people don't really like BB. I actually like the game myself, but never was totally serious with it. Hakumen for life though.
I did. Had more fun with it than BB, but yeah, too crazy for me. If I spent a week with it though it might be another story.

I've purchased just about every big fighter for the 360 that isn't Tekken related.

Good.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Plus the characters are too varied to where they don't have similar ideas behind them besides the system. Arakune plays different from Hakumen who plays different from Ragna who plays different from Jin who plays different from...

I fail to see how this is a complaint, it's like saying shotoclones are a great thing. This is exactly why I go off on people that suggest a character to learn the game with in the BB thread. People will pick ragna to "learn the game" yet everything you learn with ragna doesn't mean jack squat on another character. It's the strong point of arcsys games but you can't approach it like you would every other fighter when it comes to learning them. Honestly Persona 4 is the same way with a minor exception to Shadow lab even then she is crazy different

Tomat

Can kinda understand why people don't really like BB. I actually like the game myself, but never was totally serious with it. Hakumen for life though.

Good.

lol, at the very least I'm blindly supporting the fighting genre.

vocab

I fail to see how this is a complaint, it's like saying shotoclones are a great thing. This is exactly why I go off on people that suggest a character to learn the game with in the BB thread. People will pick ragna to "learn the game" yet everything you learn with ragna doesn't mean jack squat on another character. It's the strong point of arcsys games but you can't approach it like you would every other fighter

Yup. I was told to learn the game on Ragna. I hated how he played. Moved on to another character, and you literally have to start from scratch.

Sophia

I fail to see how this is a complaint, it's like saying shotoclones are a great thing. This is exactly why I go off on people that suggest a character to learn the game with in the BB thread. People will pick ragna to "learn the game" yet everything you learn with ragna doesn't mean jack squat on another character. It's the strong point of arcsys games but you can't approach it like you would every other fighter

It's one of the things I really enjoy about ASW games myself, and the reason I'm running arcade mode with everyone to start with, even if I'll main Aigis online.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yup. I was told to learn the game on Ragna. I hated how he played. Moved on to another character, and you literally have to start from scratch.

I think a lot of people that try to introduce the game go about it wrong honestly, Fugu, proto, and me as far as I noticed on GAF will tell you pretty much what I said and try and go into detail about stuff. Although Proto and Me are pretty much on hiatus til BB3 Fugu is still a great help on that side of things. It's a shame most people approach GG and BB with a SF mentality then end up getting turned off from them

Man Narukami is such a beast. Labbing up his Oki setups and hitconfirms.

I had disagreement with it from some people, but honestly I find him similar to Ky with his oki's and cross over shenanigans stuff.

TheSeks

I fail to see how this is a complaint, it's like saying shotoclones are a great thing.

You misunderstand. I'm not saying "EVERYGAME NEEDS KEN AND RYU AND FIFTY THOUSANDS OF THEM" but the base of each character needs to be the same/similar. BB's diversity would be nice with the drive system if has. But at the end of the day you can't learn "all characters"/basics of the characters and then dive into a character/get deeper into the systems. That's my complaint. Marvel/SF/others like it can have you learn "all the characters" in five minutes with the basics. But "mastering" them all will take you a while because their playstyles/etc. are varied from Ryu/Ken.

That's the problem with BB really: There's no "foundation" to build from. You have to pick a character and stick with them, only to learn later that maybe that character isn't for you. What you see as a "pro," Me (and others similar to me) see as a strong "con" against the game.

I'm hoping P4U's mechanics are similar for each character to where you can "random" pick and not feel like you're completely helpless in random pick battles because you don't know how the characters basics are.

Sophia

What do R1/2 and L1/2 do? Can you customize controls?

I believe they're button presses (A+B, B+C, A+B+C) by default, and yes, you can customize them to whatever you like, just like Blazblue before it.

You misunderstand. I'm not saying "EVERYGAME NEEDS KEN AND RYU AND FIFTY THOUSANDS OF THEM" but the base of each character needs to be the same/similar. BB's diversity would be nice with the drive system if has. But at the end of the day you can't learn "all characters"/basics of the characters and then dive into a character/get deeper into the systems. That's my complaint. Marvel/SF/others like it can have you learn "all the characters" in five minutes with the basics. But "mastering" them all will take you a while because their playstyles/etc. are varied from Ryu/Ken.

That's the problem with BB really: There's no "foundation" to build from. You have to pick a character and stick with them, only to learn later that maybe that character isn't for you. What you see as a "pro," Me (and others similar to me) see as a strong "con" against the game.

I'm hoping P4U's mechanics are similar for each character to where you can "random" pick and not feel like you're completely helpless in random pick battles because you don't know how the characters basics are.

Can't say I agree with you, but it sounds like P4A will be a lot better for you. Given there's more of this "foundation" you speak of. :p

Astral

I guess the fact that no Blazblue character plays similarly to each other makes it kind of inaccessible to some. I find it really hard to learn more than two characters in that game. If I use Hazama for too long and then switch to Relius, I start using Relius as if he was Hazama for a little while. It gets confusing.

Sophia

Okay good. Cuz I'm watching the tutorial video and the short dash is 2 buttons at the same time, which I suck at. Making it R1 is a lot easier.

Yup, you can do that. You kinda have to if you're a pad warrior such as myself.

One of these days we'll promote ourselves to the glorious joystick. ;_;

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Okay good. Cuz I'm watching the tutorial video and the short dash is 2 buttons at the same time, which I suck at. Making it R1 is a lot easier.

That "short dash" Is a roll actually to go through moves :p

Yup, you can do that. You kinda have to if you're a pad warrior such as myself.

One of these days we'll promote ourselves to the glorious joystick. ;_;
Pad for life, you stick holding scumbags will never wiiiiiiiin... I'd play stick if I could haha

Infinite

I guess the fact that no Blazblue character plays similarly to each other makes it kind of inaccessible to some. I find it really hard to learn more than two characters in that game. If I use Hazama for too long and then switch to Relius, I start using Relius as if he was Hazama for a little while. It gets confusing.

So play one character?

vocab

That "short dash" Is a roll actually to go through moves :p

Pad for life, you stick holding scumbags will never wiiiiiiiin... I'd play stick if I could haha

It's a four button fighter. I see no advantage to a stick whatsoever in this game besides hitting acd easier. No dp motions, gg. Time to dust off my TE. Been too busy using this hollow ass hrap that feels awkward as hell to play for PC.

Tomat

Actually I have to say my favorite fighter is a toss up between VF5 Final Showdown and SSF4 AE. Both are good, and I haven't spent a lot of time with VF5, but the game is just pure fighting, no bullshit. It's great.

Sophia

I'm leaning towards PS3, Is that what most of GAF is going to be playing as well?

It's what most of the internet will be playing. It's also where the Japanese players are at. :p

Pressing Square + X is way easier than pushing R1 or L1 or whatever.

I beg to differ, as my experiences with Blazblue and Street Fighter have taught me....

I've heard from a buddy that this isn't that bad to play as a pad warrior. Is that true?

Not at all. It's four buttons, and the combinations are really simple. Mostly quarter circles and such.

vocab

I'm leaning towards PS3, Is that what most of GAF is going to be playing as well?

The list in the OP shows a huge gap. A lot of people switched to PS3 because of the netcode reports, but honestly, I just get PS3 because I don't own a 360, and I would never pay to play for online.

I've heard from a buddy that this isn't that bad to play as a pad warrior. Is that true?

Seems true. Q will probably dumpster us all, and he's using pad.

Kellen

The list in the OP shows a huge gap. A lot of people switched to PS3 because of the netcode reports, but honestly, I just get PS3 because I don't own a 360, and I would never pay to play for online.

Well I just tried to get online to play some marvel and it says that my xbox gold is expired. So that solves my dilemma.

Noi

Seems true. Q will probably dumpster us all, and he's using pad.

But Q said that he's one of the worst player on the spreadsheet notes! :(

I actually decided to make the switch from pad to stick for this game, since it's something I've been meaning to do anyway. Working out the kinks on moving effectively via BBCSEX, though thankfully I don't need to learn any DP inputs yet.

If you guys think Blazblue is hard, you should try out Guilty Gear.

Learning the basics with each character is pretty easy with the tutorial mode and practice mode, it basically tells you everything you need to know to get started with whatever character. There's even an ingame move list so you know what inputs do what, which takes about 2 seconds to bring up.

I don't think inputs need to be similar because each character plays differently and the inputs are part of that.

Unless you are talking about going into a game and spamming common inputs and getting good results. Maybe that works in other games, but I don't see the point in that.

If I'm going to play a character, I'm going to look at the inputs first instead of trying things out blind. That way I know what I can do ahead of time.

Maybe P4: Arena lets you have an easier time jumping in blind. I'm wondering, will you expect to do well not knowing the capabilities of the character's in the game? I'm just wondering because prior to learning the limitations of different characters in BB, my wins were basically based on hoping the enemy player didn't do something I've never seen before/having no knowledge of how to defend against.

This post is getting incoherent so I'm just going to end it here.

vocab

Believe it or not I think Guilty Gear is easier to pick up than BB. It sounds really crazy, but It feels so much better to play, and you can do some basic chains into air combos and feel good about your self. Of course I know as you go up the skill chain it gets ridiculous, but that's besides the point. BB just didn't click with me.

TheSeks

I've tried GG. I prefer it over BB, actually. It has a "foundation," even if Chipp's 236P isn't the same as Sol's 236P. But mechanically they're "similar," they go forward.

Whereas BB's Ragna's 236A feels different from Jin's.

It's kinda hard to explain and comes down to feeling and these foundations for me. I feel GG doesn't break too far from "learning all the characters"/basics like BB does. If BB's diversity came only from the drive system and it's style of play behind the drive system, I don't think it would turn as many people off. *shrug*

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Probably SSF4, but only because that's the one I've played the most. With the right group of people I could probably have fun with P4U as well.

I spent most of the BB games trying to learn Arakune while constantly getting shit on by a friend of mine. That aside, the gameplay just felt... weak compared to SSF4 and I think this is partly due to the speed of the game. It's fast, and everyone seems to have a ridiculous amount of health.

SF and BB are on complete opposite ends of the spectrum

(Also, picking up Arakune as your first main is lolz)

edit: i'm already laughing at the people attempting to pick up liz. its phoenix all over again

I guess I understand what you mean. I'm just used to the different inputs used in Blazblue.

I also have character ADD, I frequently switch mains on a weekly/daily basis although I think I was best with Ragna.

I was initially looking at Akihiko/Aigis/Yukiko, but I need to try everyone else out first before I decide who I want to focus on.

LegatoB

What they're trying to get at is that each individual character in BB has a much greater "variance" in how they move and fight even compared to other characters of a similar archetype than you see in other fighting games. It's much more difficult to get a sense of how a character plays at a mid-to-high level without putting in the effort to get there. Doing a couple of combos in Challenge Mode or sparring with the AI in Arcade Mode does a pretty poor job of explaining what it's actually like to play a character.

Top Bottom