• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
SF and BB are on complete opposite ends of the spectrum

(Also, picking up Arakune as your first main is lolz)

edit: i'm already laughing at the people attempting to pick up liz. its phoenix all over again
Yeah, that much I get. As for the Arakune comment, I can't say I agree. I'd rather not learn another character just because they're "easier." Where's the real motivation there?

I'd much rather pick and play a character I'm interested in and try to learn them.
My roommate and I are dying to start playing P4A. He's a huge P4 fan, I'm a huge megaten/JRPG fan, and we're both huge ArcSys/fighting game fans.

It really is the perfect game for us.
I'd love to hear impressions from someone who is a big Persona fan but not a big fighting fan.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
My roommate and I are dying to start playing P4A. He's a huge P4 fan, I'm a huge megaten/JRPG fan, and we're both huge ArcSys/fighting game fans.

It really is the perfect game for us.

Yeah, that much I get. As for the Arakune comment, I can't say I agree. I'd rather not learn another character just because they're "easier." Where's the real motivation there?

In that scenario, the motivation is to win.

I guess I understand what you mean. I'm just used to the different inputs used in Blazblue.

I also have character ADD, I frequently switch mains on a weekly/daily basis although I think I was best with Ragna.

I was initially looking at Akihiko/Aigis/Yukiko, but I need to try everyone else out first before I decide who I want to focus on.

I'm the opposite. I never stray from the initial character I pick. I just feel comfortable with a character I get good with, and don't like changing to something new.

Astral

SF and BB are on complete opposite ends of the spectrum

(Also, picking up Arakune as your first main is lolz)

edit: i'm already laughing at the people attempting to pick up liz. its phoenix all over again

Hey man don't discourage me. I need to learn Elizabeth. It's fucking Elizabeth. I'll mess around with other characters first though. I learned Hazama first in Continuum Shift. That felt good. I didn't wanna fuck with Carl or Arakune though. Liz seems to be in that level of nonfuckability, but I'll give her a shot.

Everyone is Carl/Relius in P4: Arena.

Well, not really.

Persona's come out on command based on input, where with Carl at least you had to control both him and Nirvana separately.

I guess it wouldn't really be beginner friendly if all characters controlled their persona's like Carl controls Nirvana.

Getting the loops was fun though once you got the timing down.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Believe it or not I think Guilty Gear is easier to pick up than BB. It sounds really crazy, but It feels so much better to play, and you can do some basic chains into air combos and feel good about your self. Of course I know as you go up the skill chain it gets ridiculous, but that's besides the point. BB just didn't click with me.

Nah you are right. GG at a hyper basic level is easier to pick up than BB. It's when you get to high levels that GG shows that it's deeper than BB and more complex thus considered harder on that respect.

Seems true. Q will probably dumpster us all, and he's using pad.
Damn youuuuuu

But Q said that he's one of the worst player on the spreadsheet notes! :(
LOL did you not see proto's comment? :p Honestly I'm not bad, but I wouldn't consider myself great as I have almost no tournament experience in anything. I'm stuck as an online warrior sadly.

Esura

Banned
Hey man don't discourage me. I need to learn Elizabeth. It's fucking Elizabeth. I'll mess around with other characters first though. I learned Hazama first in Continuum Shift. That felt good. I didn't wanna fuck with Carl or Arakune though. Liz seems to be in that level of nonfuckability, but I'll give her a shot.

I'm stealing this. :p

vocab

I really think Elizabeth with be easier than both of those.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I dunno. MvC is pretty accessible with 236/214 inputs being the "hardest" thing on it (okay maybe 41236/63214's. I don't think it has 360's/grapple combos.

Speed and damage rate/high-damage combos is what throws people off Marvel, really.

Blazblue's issue is that while the tutorial explains the basics (at least in CS1/2) okay, it doesn't fully show them and wants you to pull of combinations of the move and idea behind it without really "showing" you/explaining in more detail. Plus the characters are too varied to where they don't have similar ideas behind them besides the system. Arakune plays different from Hakumen who plays different from Ragna who plays different from Jin who plays different from...

Yeah, you can "ice car" command as Ragna, but his drive and general movements/gameplay isn't the same as that ice-car.

Man, this is not pointed at you at all, but this post reminds me how much I hate numerical notation.

I live by qcf, qcb, dp, fc, hc, etc etc

Tomat

Someone needs to change my comment on that chart to "Not actually buying the game. Will continue to talk about it though."

*edit*
Changed it, didn't know it was public.

Sophia

Man, this is not pointed at you at all, but this post reminds me how much I hate numerical notation.

I'm rather fond of numerical notations. "236" is something I easily understand, having been around games most of my life. Where as "qcf" didn't mean a damn thing until I got into Street Fighter extensively.

Someone needs to change my comment on that chart to "Not actually buying the game. Will continue to talk about it though."

Err, change it yourself? :(

thetrin

I'm rather fond of numerical notations. "236" is something I easily understand, having been around games most of my life. Where as "qcf" didn't mean a damn thing until I got into Street Fighter

i've been playing SF for 18 years. it's a hard habit to break.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

I'd much rather pick and play a character I'm interested in and try to learn them.

I'd love to hear impressions from someone who is a big Persona fan but not a big fighting fan.

To learn the game first.

The variation between all of BB/GG fighters is huge. Its not like switching between Ryu and Makoto and only having to remember changes in inputs and timing. You'd be trying to not only learn a new game speed and type of fighter, but a screen controlling, janky character that is very unique within that new game.
I really think Elizabeth with be easier than both of those.

I think she'll be easier to "understand" but harder to use.

Esura

Banned

Took a year to actually grasp numerical notation and I still dislike it. I understand why its the standard for most fighters but I still dislike...no hate it.

vocab

I don't care about the notation that much. What drives me up the wall is when people start making up shit, and if there isn't a footnote about them you are fucked. Adding like all these crazy symbols and characters. 236 x n ¿[{114*&87532156 +3]> WS 6 THE FUCK ( Ya I made it up, but that's how i feel while I read tekken combos some times).

thetrin

Took a year to actually grasp numerical notation and I still dislike it. I understand why its the standard for most fighters but I still dislike...no hate it.

It still takes me time to understand what a specific notation means. If someone says "oh its qcb A" I understand it immediately.

Noi

LOL did you not see proto's comment? :p Honestly I'm not bad, but I wouldn't consider myself great as I have almost no tournament experience in anything. I'm stuck as an online warrior sadly.

I was kidding! I've lurked on the MarvelGaf threads long enough to know that I should take whatever you say about you being a terrible player with a grain of salt.
KuGsj.gif

Was referring to this~

thetrin

I was kidding! I've lurked on the MarvelGaf threads long enough to know that I should take whatever you say about your skill with a grain of salt.
KuGsj.gif

Or is that a grain of sugar?

TWILT

Banned

Yeah, I'm so damn used to stuff like QCF, DP, HCF, etc. I freaking hate number notation to this very day.

EDIT: oh shit, I'm a member now~.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Can't you just chicken guard them, or is this a marvel 2 fuzzy guard your fucked kinda situation?

Fun fact you CAN NOT CHICKEN BLOCK IN THIS GAME.

The first 3 frames of jumping and the first 5 frames you are off the ground you lose the ability to block.

Gotta learn how to properly guard mix up game in this, but with aegis it's kinda dumb haha

Naite

When I first saw the number notation I thought it was the most stupidest format ever. But now it feels very natural and I prefer it. I guess it also helped that I was always near a keyboard with a number pad whenever I needed it.

I don't care about the notation that much. What drives me up the wall is when people start making up shit, and if there isn't a footnote about them you are fucked. Adding like all these crazy symbols and characters. 236 x n ¿[{114*&87532156 +3]> WS 6 THE FUCK ( Ya I made it up, but that's how i feel while I read tekken combos some times).

Ha. This is exactly how I often feel about the Tekken notation.

Infinite

Can't you just chicken guard them, or is this a marvel 2 fuzzy guard your fucked kinda situation?

Chicken guarding is a terrible option. You can't block until after the 5th frame of your jump.

9 times out of ten Aigis players tend to go high though.

vocab

Fun fact you CAN NOT CHICKEN BLOCK IN THIS GAME

The first 3 frames of jumping and the first 5 frames you are off the ground you lose the ability to block

I see.

So roll, or burst? I wonder if you can get a preemptive gold burst on her.

Damn I also forgot there was no pushblock.

Infinite

Yup those are you choices, or a correct guess. Rolling isn't the best option in the world either as it counts as a counter hit if you get hit at the end of it

Also it's easy to react too and doesn't have invincibility at the start. Your hurtbox is extended after it too.

instant air backdash might be an option...

Sophia

Are you from MI or is it shipping from there?

I'm from Michigan. Although nowhere near Romulus. I dunno why stuff comes from there when it's UPS, but good odds I'll have it by the time monday is over. :p

(And before anyone asks, yes, we have a Remus too. And Hell.... )

Tomat

I'm from Michigan. Although nowhere near Romulus. I dunno why stuff comes from there when it's UPS, but good odds I'll have it by the time monday is over. :p

Nice, same here. Granted, anytime something I order actually gets closer to my house it suddenly slows down a few cities away and takes a full day.

Astral

I chicken blocked a lot in Blazblue by accident. I was mostly trying to run the hell away lol. I got hit with lots of air unblockables because of it. Hopefully this game will improve my defensive game. It will either do just that or make me feel like shit because I can't do it.

BlackJace

What the hell, no chicken blocking? ArkSys...

Well I guess by not having chip, they would have to give SOME over defensive penalty besides Negative and Poison.

Infinite

I chicken blocked a lot in Blazblue by accident. I was mostly trying to run the hell away lol. I got hit with lots of air unblockables because of it. Hopefully this game will improve my defensive game. It will either do just that or make me feel like shit because I can't do it.
Basically when you're on defense, think defense. Try to read what they are going for and try to avoid being predictable.

Top Bottom