• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Stark

Banned
Just one more day, man!

Amazon says mine ships August 10th. I hope their estimates for shipping are also way off in a positive way like their estimates for delivery, lol. ;_;

Too bad Prime doesn't exist in Canada (I think?)

@Marrshu: That helps a tinsy bit. :(

Oh okay. Thanks!

Astral

Basically when you're on defense, think defense. Try to read what they are going for and try to avoid being predictable.

I have a nasty habit of looking at my character while I'm blocking for whatever reason, but I block pretty well when I'm really paying attention. My most cherished moment in Blazblue was instant blocking Ragna's 5B and super kicking him with Hazama. I was so proud of myself. Then he bursted and killed me.

Hex

Banned
Aigis is really frustrating to fight against. Instant overheads to 3k damage owns me.

I was afraid of her, but so far she has been dealable.
Yu.....fuck Yu. Seriously.
But so far I am loving Elizabeth, but when people get awakened you realize how much that low health really hurts if you slip up.

Fun fact you CAN NOT CHICKEN BLOCK IN THIS GAME.

The first 3 frames of jumping and the first 5 frames you are off the ground you lose the ability to block.

Gotta learn how to properly guard mix up game in this, but with aegis it's kinda dumb haha

I'm probably going to lose a lot of matches just doing that on reaction.

B00TE

Amazon says mine ships August 10th. I hope their estimates for shipping are also way off in a positive way like their estimates for delivery, lol. ;_;

Too bad Prime doesn't exist in Canada (I think?)
Awww. That's lame, hope that's moved up.

BlackJace

But so far I am loving Elizabeth, but when people get awakened you realize how much that low health really hurts if you slip up.

What's up with Yu? I'm curious cuz I was gonna make him my main.

Infinite

Why do you hate Yu?

BlackJace said:
What's up with Yu? I'm curious cuz I was gonna make him my main.

He's a strong character with good normals and a simple yet very effective oki.

Dive kick.

His Dive kick isn't good for pressure. You'll probably only be using it to end air combos to get the hard knockdown and the J.D oki.

BlackJace

Nah. I think his ability to carry you to the wall and advance forward with his persona is really strong though. He's just solid in general.

Oh cool. Yeah I've put my self in a media blackout until launch, so I'm not really up to snuff on combo videos.

G-Pink

I like buying fighting games on release because of the feeling of having a slight advantage against online players for a week or two if I really work at learning the characters and get comfortable with a few of them, but I'm not such a fan when the company who released it comes out with a newer version about a year later.

Arc System Works has done it with BB:Calamity Trigger, and Guilty Gear XX. What does everyone think the odds are of an updated version of this one? I'm thinking slim to none, but I'd like a few opinions before I take the plunge.

Ken

OH SHIT. :D

zGWQm.png

Not one of us.

:(

vocab

I'm thinking slim to none, but I'd like a few opinions before I take the plunge.

Low unless Atlus is really interested. It's a total collaboration between the two companies. If atlus doesn't want to devalue the brand, they will probably tell ASW to make something else.

Sophia

I think with BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma just announced, the chances of this getting a full blown new update within the year are pretty low. More likely it'll get DLC characters and general arcade updates.

I like buying fighting games on release because of the feeling of having a slight advantage against online players for a week or two if I really work at learning the characters and get comfortable with a few of them, but I'm not such a fan when the company who released it comes out with a newer version about a year later.

Arc System Works has done it with BB:Calamity Trigger, and Guilty Gear XX. What does everyone think the odds are of an updated version of this one? I'm thinking slim to none, but I'd like a few opinions before I take the plunge.

I think if you're not a super serious player, buying the game on release, playing with everyone else that got it for the first few weeks/months, and then moving on to whatever else afterward would be fine.

If you're a super serious player, buying the game on release, playing with everyone else that got it for the first few weeks/months, and then continuing to play the game after all the casuals leave would also be fine.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Yeah, I'm so damn used to stuff like QCF, DP, HCF, etc. I freaking hate number notation to this very day.

EDIT: oh shit, I'm a member now~.

In defense of number notation - it's a helluva lot more efficient than any alternative when applied to 3D fighters (namely SC and VF, Tekken goes over my head but I don't play it). [3][3][P] > down-forward down-forward P.

OceanBlue

In defense of number notation - it's a helluva lot more efficient than any alternative when applied to 3D fighters (namely SC and VF, Tekken goes over my head but I don't play it). [3][3][P] > down-forward down-forward P.

33P would probably be df, df P. Still pretty inefficient. To be honest, I like number notation more because I think it's a lot more open-ended. I can do [4]6 for a charge move, 5ABC (8) j.BC or something if you need to do a neutral jump, 623A 6B for KOF input shortcuts, etc. It's pretty easy to read if you're used to it too.

alstein

I think given that it's the most successful Japanese fighter in its first week ever, there will be at least a DLC update and some milking, though odds of a full-blown sequel are about 50/50.

Hokuto was somewhat popular and didn't get a sequel (game was horrifically and hilariously broken though, it really was Japanese Marvel)

Personally, I don't mind paying for the updates, unless it's truly milking it like Extend (I don't think Arc will repeat that mistake- I think they know they messed up which is why they went hard on the next BB, or they needed to raise funds for the next BB- not sure which)

Still would like to know who the best counterpick is versus Aigis- that's the character I'd probably want to main- Aigis just looks unfun to play against.

Chavelo

So, I finally had some time to check out the story mode for the past few hours. Did the first parts for Charlie, Naoto, Kanji and Yukiko.

As expected, the Atlus staff did an amazing job handling this part of the game. I really like how they handled the little details connecting the separate stories such as
Yosuke setting up an emergency exit (as explained in the main four characters' meeting in Junes for the first time) in the TV world. You know, just in case someone is clumsy enough to fall into it by being half-asleep and not being careful... which is what Kanji did, of course.
I'm a real sucker for this type of stuff, so I'll probably won't even hit the lab for the next few days. :lol

I did have a little offline session with the local resident BB player who's also looking to getting into the game. We did go back and forth for the first half of the set, but he did pick up some of the mechanics a little faster than I did. I played as Charlie (Yu) so I will probably be using him for the first week of offline/online play. I did learn a lot about Elizabeth's moves, though. :p

P4A <3

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I think given that it's the most successful Japanese fighter in its first week ever, there will be at least a DLC update and some milking, though odds of a full-blown sequel are about 50/50.

Hokuto was somewhat popular and didn't get a sequel (game was horrifically and hilariously broken though, it really was Japanese Marvel)

Personally, I don't mind paying for the updates, unless it's truly milking it like Extend (I don't think Arc will repeat that mistake- I think they know they messed up which is why they went hard on the next BB, or they needed to raise funds for the next BB- not sure which)

Still would like to know who the best counterpick is versus Aigis- that's the character I'd probably want to main- Aigis just looks unfun to play against.

It was a funds thing, they had to rework and redo a lot of stuff for part 3 because they couldn't reuse a good chunk of assets. Extend was pretty much a LOL SORRY BB3 Isn't done yet! Here take this character we created using P4A as a base and some gameplay tweaks see you in a year!

Sophia

So, I finally had some time to check out the story mode for the past few hours. Did the first parts for Charlie, Naoto, Kanji and Yukiko.

As expected, the Atlus staff did an amazing job handling this part of the game. I really like how they handled the little details connecting the separate stories such as
Yosuke setting up an emergency exit (as explained in the main four characters' meeting in Junes for the first time) in the TV world. You know, just in case someone is clumsy enough to fall into it by being half-asleep and not being careful... which is what Kanji did, of course.
I'm a real sucker for this type of stuff, so I'll probably won't even hit the lab for the next few days. :lol

I love some of the gags in story mode. The little details that carry over from one character to the next are just awesome. Case in point:
Nobody ever lets Mitsuru live down the fact that she was suppose to be on a covert operation in Inaba. Seeing her reactions to this in story mode = PRICELESS

Ken

I did have a little offline session with the local resident BB player who's also looking to getting into the game. We did go back and forth for the first half of the set, but he did pick up some of the mechanics a little faster than I did. I played as Charlie (Yu) so I will probably be using him for the first week of offline/online play. I did learn a lot about Elizabeth's moves, though. :p

P4A <3

*thumbs up*

Infinite

A weekone tip. If you're comboing someone and they're about to awaken and you cant kill them use your super to do as much damage as possible before the defense boost.

Who's Charlie?

Sophia

A weekone tip. If you're comboing someone and they're about to awaken and you cant kill them use your super to do as much damage as possible before the defense boost.

I'm guessing from the achievements and the videos I saw that Awakenings don't happen right away? They have to be on the ground or otherwise be neutral for a second?

Who's Charlie?

Yu Narukami. "Charlie Tunoku" was the nickname given to him by the Giant Bomb Endurance Run.

Busaiku

I think given that it's the most successful Japanese fighter in its first week ever

This isn't true.
Maybe for a 2D game, but Tekken always has bigger debuts.

Don't have data for older 2D games (prior to PS2), so those may have been bigger too.

Chavelo

This isn't true.

Don't have data for older 2D games (prior to PS2), so those may have been bigger too.

Data is for the last 4 years:

First week sales of fighting games between 2008-2012 in Japan by Media Create

[PSP] Dissidia Final Fantasy (Square Enix) {2009.12.18} - 489,100 | NEW
[PSP] Dissidia: 012 (Duodecim) Final Fantasy (Square Enix) {2011.03.03} - 286,117 / NEW
[PS3] Persona 4: Arena (Atlus) {2012.07.26} - 128,485 / NEW
[PS3] Tekken 6 (Namco Bandai) {2009.10.29} - 103,105 / NEW
[PS3] Street Fighter IV (Capcom) {2009.02.12} - 86,000 / NEW
[PS2] Fate/Unlimited Codes (Capcom) {2008.12.18} - 82,900 | NEW
[PS3] Super Street Fighter IV (Capcom) {2010.04.28} - 80,882 / NEW
[PSP] Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha A's Portable: The Battle of Aces (Namco Bandai) {2010.01.21} - 76,088 / NEW
[PS3] Soul Calibur IV (Namco Bandai Games) {2008.07.31} - 74,607 / NEW
[PS3] Marvel Vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds (Capcom) {2011.02.17} - 67,187 / NEW
[PS3] Naruto Shippuden: Narutimate Storm Generation (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.02.23} - 65,758 / NEW
[PS3] Street Fighter X Tekken (Capcom) {2012.03.08} - 58,471 / NEW
[PS3] Dragon Ball: Raging Blast (Namco Bandai) {2009.11.09} - 57,972 / NEW
[PSP] Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha A's Portable: The Gears of Destiny (Bandai Namco) {2011.12.22} - 57,320 / NEW
[PS3] Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition (Capcom) {2011.06.30} - 54,924 / NEW
[PS3] BlazBlue: Continuum Shift (Arc System Works) {2010.07.01} - 49,871 / NEW
[PS3] Dragon Ball: Raging Blast 2 (Bandai Namco) {2010.11.11} - 47.610 / NEW
[3DS] Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition (Capcom) {2011.02.26} - 44,649 / NEW
[PS3] Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi (Bandai Namco Games) {2011.12.08} - 44,593 / NEW
[PS2] Melty Blood: Actress Again (Ecole Software) {2009.08.20} - 44,292 / NEW
[360] Street Fighter IV (Capcom) {2009.02.12} - 38,000 / NEW
[360] Soul Calibur IV (Namco Bandai Games) {2008.07.31} - 34,786 / NEW
[PS3] Soul Calibur V (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.02.02} - 34,328 / NEW
[PSP] Fate/Unlimited Codes Portable (Capcom) {2009.06.18} - 34,205 / NEW
[PS3] BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger (Arc System Works) {2009.06.25} - 33,768 / NEW
[PS3] BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend (Arc System Works) {2011.12.17} - 32,992 / NEW
[360] Super Street Fighter IV (Capcom) {2010.04.28} - 28,454 / NEW
[PSP] Tekken 6 (Namco Bandai) {2010.01.14} - 25,131 / NEW
[360] BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger (Arc System Works) {2009.06.25} - 24,812 / NEW
[WII] Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Cross Generation of Heroes (Capcom) {2008.12.11} - 24,100 / NEW
[PSP] BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II (Arc System Works) {2011.03.31} - 23,808 / NEW
[3DS] Dead or Alive: Dimensions (Koei Tecmo) {2011.05.19} - 23,078 / NEW
[PS3] Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 (Capcom) {2011.11.17} - 22,436 / NEW
[PS3] The King of Fighters XIII (SNK Playmore) {2011.12.01} - 21,525 / NEW
[PS3] Arcana Heart 3 (Arc System Works) {2011.01.13} - 17,219 / NEW
[360] Marvel Vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds (Capcom) {2011.02.17} - 13,779 / NEW
[360] Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition (Capcom) {2011.06.30} - 12,326 / NEW
[360] Phantom Breaker (5pb.) {2011.06.02} - 9,960 / NEW
[360] Persona 4: Arena (Atlus) {2012.07.26} - 9,801 / NEW
[3DS] Tekken 3D: Prime Edition (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.02.16} - 9,421 / NEW
[360] Street Fighter X Tekken (Capcom) {2012.03.08} - 8,527 / NEW
[360] Soul Calibur V (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.02.02} - 7,679 / NEW

Sophia

This isn't true.

P4A actually outsold Tekken 6 in each game's respective first weeks. (128,485 P4A to Tekken's 103,105)

Bleh, Chavelo beat me to it. But yeah, the PS3 version alone beat the combined first week sales of Tekken 6 on the 360 and PS3.

Noi

It's kind of amusing seeing P4A's sales as both one of the highest (PS3 version) and one of the lowest (360 version).

EVOL 100%

After losing to the same guy 11 times in a row I think I finally sussed out a little bit on how to play Naoto.

Man, 2D fighting games are hard as fuck.

Also, here's some more substantial impressions for the netcode. 3+bars is basically no lag at all. On 2 a very slight slowdown begins to occur, and and 0 there's a slight input lag. Nothing too terrible though.

Top Bottom