• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Sallokin

God the 360 online is gross. Seriously considering getting the PS3 version instead, but I don't have any arcade sticks for the PS3.

Otherwise, I'm really loving the game. VO changes didn't bother me that much at all.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Akihiko-san~ <3 Oh how I've missed you. Never leave me again. :(

Anyway, games pretty fun. But I don't really like the A/C B/D layout. It kinda goes against BB conventions of A/B/C/D and even Marvel conventions that were drilled into me. Not sure I'm going to keep the default layout. Gotta play a bit more.

Gonna go online and see how bad my connection is currently.

Also, does negative edge apply in this game?

Yes. Negative Penalty is in the game, IIRC.

vocab

Akihiko-san~ <3 Oh how I've missed you. Never leave me again. :(

Anyway, games pretty fun. But I don't really like the A/C B/D layout. It kinda goes against BB conventions of A/B/C/D and even Marvel conventions that were drilled into me. Not sure I'm going to keep the default layout. Gotta play a bit more.

Gonna go online and see how bad my connection is currently.

You know what really sucks. When you rebind the keys, the challange mode buttons are not reflected to your change.

TWILT

Banned
Playing through story mode...

..And didn't get any alternative endings for Yu or Yosuke no matter what choice I made...unless I have to lose a fight or something? I got just got a gag ending for Yukiko, and I'm going through the "canon" ending right now after picking a different choice.

Erekiddo

I went out for lunch, and came back with this game (360) and then placed an order for the $30 fightstick on Amazon + Sanwa replacement joystick and button parts.

Whyyyyyyy!

Noi

Try Yukiko or Liz

Pretty much the two I feel most comfortable with, and got the highest on their respective challenges. Liz is a bit too glass cannon than I'm comfortable with. I feel much better with Yukiko, but I can't seem to DO much with her, if you get what I mean. Then again, having subpar normals is something I should be used to with Lambda...

Despite getting a stick just for this game, I think I'm going to stick to pad. This is ironically the one game where I feel like there's barely any difference between the two, and I even get one button cancels and bursts.

B00TE

Playing Kanji now, just mauled a Labrys. Perfected her once. Second round was so intense. I'm so hype right now.

LProtag

Anyone else not finding a lot of good connections while looking online? Tons of connection quality levels aren't even showing up for me. On PS3, just wondering if it's normal.

Sophia

What the hell is with Labrys voice? She sounds like a cowboy.

Are Boston accents really that unfamiliar to you people? She sounds nothing like a cowboy. >_>;

Anyone else not finding a lot of good connections while looking online? Tons of connection quality levels aren't even showing up for me. On PS3, just wondering if it's normal.

It appears to be normal. Lots of Japanese players on. I mistook it for my connection being shit when really there was nothing wrong. It's a lot better today now that everyone actually has the game. :p

Onemic

So looks like Mistsuru it is. Finally getting used to those charge moves, and man do I love her 5A pokes. Her jumpin is godlike too.

LProtag

It appears to be normal. Lots of Japanese players on. I mistook it for my connection being shit when really there was nothing wrong. It's a lot better today now that everyone actually has the game. :p

Okay, thanks for reassuring me. Hard to find player rooms for me for some reason.

Getting some decent ranked matches though with no lag.

Sophia

Okay, thanks for reassuring me. Hard to find player rooms for me for some reason.

Getting some decent ranked matches though with no lag.

I've found even some zero-bar matches are lag free. I kinda fretted when I accidentally accepted a rank match against a zero-bar Aigis player, but it turned out to be the best match I've had ever, and I won too. :D

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
So glad that Mitsuru and Yukiko are clicking with me. They are the two I wanted to use before I started to play.

Beats

Good stuff Beats.

I'm sorry I suck so bad, Elizabeth. I promise I'll stop making you look worse than you already are soon.

Yeah, good games. Man, I was pretty surprised when you got the instant kill counter, and trying to get around the Elizabeth's giant laser was a bit of a struggle. :x

mollipen

What the hell is with Labrys voice? She sounds like a cowboy.

It's one of the big problems in translations from Japanese: Osakaben. Japanese dialects don't always have a great equivalent in English, and Osakaben/Kansaiben is popular in things like anime and gaming due to many reasons (one of which is because it's awesome).

There's no really good way to bring over the impact that Osakaben has in Japanese, and many companies have tried even more attempts as doing so.

alstein

I havent had issues vs any character yet really. Then again if you know how to block with the minion shadow lab is pretty well rounded outside of having a good reversal.

Try Yukiko or Liz

I've been trying Yukiko first day- is she a rushdown character- playing her as keepout just isn't workign for me.

Tomorrow I will try the Mitsuru army and see if I have any better luck.

Shaffield

So looks like Mistsuru it is. Finally getting used to those charge moves, and man do I love her 5A pokes. Her jumpin is godlike too.

I definitely recommend sticking with her, you really have that AA down and some of those combos are just damn hard to avoid.

you guys were beating my ass, I need to learn how to do some damage :p

B00TE

I've found even some zero-bar matches are lag free. I kinda fretted when I accidentally accepted a rank match against a zero-bar Aigis player, but it turned out to be the best match I've had ever, and I won too. :D

Our matches here have been all 2 bar or less, and it's been ridiculously good. Haven't been able to blame a loss to lag, haha.

My buddy is on doing ranked, surprisingly hasn't fought a yu yet. I might jump in to try and rep Kanji, but my hand is so thrashed, heh.

Instro

Played a bit earlier, its really fun but its going to take me awhile to get used to playing a fighting game. Its been ages since my last one. Mitsuru is ace, that jacket throw pose is too cool.

Sophia

It's one of the big problems in translations from Japanese: Osakaben. Japanese dialects don't always have a great equivalent in English, and Osakaben/Kansaiben is popular in things like anime and gaming due to many reasons (one of which is because it's awesome).

There's no really good way to bring over the impact that Osakaben has in Japanese, and many companies have tried even more attempts as doing so.

I find Labrys's accent choice was handled really well here. It fits her personality much better than the usual Texan accent they go for. Maybe it's because I know a few girls from the Boston area... =P

Infinite

I love Labrys voice. It adds to the appeal of the character for me.

Most of you play on PSN? I may play some games online over the weekend when my connection isn't dog shit.

Onemic

I definitely recommend sticking with her, you really have that AA down and some of those combos are just damn hard to avoid.

you guys were beating my ass, I need to learn how to do some damage :p

You frustrated the hell out of me with Yukiko though. Once you get me in midrange I have no idea how to get in cleanly without taking a fuckton of damage.

Just stick with the 5AAAAAA autocombo until you learn real ones. all my combos I did were just Mitsu's basic auto combos with some DP's thrown in. I still don't know hoe to properly use her persona or her B normals. Getting up to challenge 23 didn't really help in the combo department first go, although I am practicing one of the challenge combos that's persona based.

You frustrated the hell out of me with Yukiko though. Once you get me in midrange I have no idea how to get in cleanly without taking a fuckton of damage.

Just stick with the 5AAAAAA autocombo until you learn real ones. all my combos I did were just Mitsu's basic auto combos with some DP's thrown in. I still don't know hoe to properly use her persona or her B normals. Getting up to challenge 23 didn't really help in the combo department first go, although I am practicing one of the challenge combos that's persona based.

jump B, abuse it for instant overheads. Also you can use 6/4 B to frame trap people if they block auto combo. Lastly the dumbest gimmick with Mitsu is DP and if they don't airdash recover just bufu rofl (air unblockable)

Mesoian

They made Elizabeth pretty poorly. Making her the prospect of a glass cannon doesn't apply when your number 1 arsonal is an unblockable string.

I would have much rather prefered her play more like magneto proper. Low health with high damage output rather than this messy status nonsense.

Top Bottom