• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

OceanBlue

They made Elizabeth pretty poorly. Making her the prospect of a glass cannon doesn't apply when your number 1 arsonal is an unblockable string.

I would have much rather prefered her play more like magneto proper. Low health with high damage output rather than this messy status nonsense.

Which string is the unblockable one? I can't think of anything she can do that is unblockable except for the command grab.

Also, some of the 0 bar smooth connections might be NAT issues. I had that problem with SSF4 on the PS3 where it would show 0 bars for good connections.

MechaX

Man. Seems like every "noob friendly" room is just some guy with like 15+ wins demolishing everyone. And naturally, I get kicked for sucking so badly. This is getting quite frustrating, actually.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Just checked out the achievements for this game and they seem pretty fair. That's a good thing as far as fighters go.

Clipse

SO glad I decided to pick this up today rather than waiting for the online to be patched first. Haven't been into a game like this for months.

Anyone buy the DLC or close to buying it? Really tempted to buy the glasses pack since I'm a sucker for cosmetic items (TF2 hats!).

Mesoian

Done with online until it gets patched. I just got 84 hit comboed in the corner by a Chie because the lag was so horrendous, it wouldn't register a burst. Fucking awful. Sticking to single player and the lab for now.

Noi

Just checked out the achievements for this game and they seem pretty fair. That's a good thing as far as fighters go.

C'est Magnifique!
You completed Score Attack Mode with all characters.

Combo Crazy
You have completed all the Challenges! Funky Student would be proud.

I don't think you looked hard enough.

The search for a main continues.

I like Yosuke but I tend to mash with fast characters and I can't figure out a gtfo option outside of burst. Really fun to play with.

I'm gonna put more time into Labrys, she has the gtfo option (at least for those who don't know about it).

I got some wins with Liz but felt bad about them. Poor guy couldn't deal with my beams and if he did he got caught by c,c,c into d. I gotta learn her specials tho...I kept using he mind charge and that let people back into the match since I would get murked and lose a ton of life. I do like having a zonign character that I can understand for once...plus Liz is awesome yo.

Then there is Chie....yeah hit dat A son. Also fun to play with. Will do her arcade run tomorrow.

Going through arcade really helps you get a grasp of how to play a character...because until Shabrys decides to eat your face the computer doesn't put up a great fight (also the P3 cast..they tend to not fuck around too) giving you ample time to experiment.

I am having a ball.

I buy every damn fighting game because I can waste a lot of time in them for various reasons (VF and SC has been the goddam customization modes....wrrrry) but I am really enjoying the shit outta this game...and I haven't even touched the story mode yet.

Astral

This game has brought me nothing but pain and misery so far. I just finished Yu's challenge mode after about 3 or 4 hours. It's all I've done in the game so far. I don't think I can even play anymore today. My hands and head hurt, and my eyes are tired. Fuck challenge mode. From now on I'm not going past challenge 20 for anyone. At least I unlocked the Mitsuru navigator. That's over and done with.

Onemic

Man. Seems like every "noob friendly" room is just some guy with like 15+ wins demolishing everyone. And naturally, I get kicked for sucking so badly. This is getting quite frustrating, actually.

If you're on PSN I can make a gaf room

This game has brought me nothing but pain and misery so far. I just finished Yu's challenge mode after about 3 or 4 hours. It's all I've done in the game so far. I don't think I can even play anymore today. My hands and head hurt, and my eyes are tired. Fuck challenge mode. From now on I'm not going past challenge 20 for anyone. At least I unlocked the Mitsuru navigator. That's over and done with.

I spent half an hour on Mistsu challlenge 23 and just said fuck it. Past challenge 21 the challenges just become insane suicide missions rather than combos you can take and apply to the game.

Tomat

C'est Magnifique!
You completed Score Attack Mode with all characters.

Combo Crazy
You have completed all the Challenges! Funky Student would be proud.

I don't think you looked hard enough.

Still seems possible, will just take time that's all.

ultron87

Played for a long while. Story mode is great from a "I love all these characters" perspective. But it is pretty much a visual novel with occasional easy fights so far. But honestly that's fine with me. I would take more P4 story in almost any medium.

The actual fighting is pretty fun too from what I played around with in arcade mode and challenges and whatnot. Yukiko seems to be my girl so far. Definitely feeling my lack of fighting game chops in the later challenges.

On the negative side, 360 online is indeed atrocious. And most of the songs don't seem to loop. Instead they just awkwardly fade out then start over.

Thores

Hey guys! I just got the True Ending of Persona 4 tonight, and this game is arriving on my porch tomorrow evening. Sorry for not checking the rest of the thread's 88 pages for this, but I do have a question:

I haven't played Persona 3 yet. I own the PSP version, but haven't gotten around to it yet. It's absolutely on my to-do list, but for now, how necessary is playing/beating Persona 3 for me to enjoy/appreciate/understand Persona 4 Arena's story mode in full?

phaonaut

I landed Akihiko's Earth Breaker in an online match, I was about to die so I threw it out as a desperation move. I haven't laughed that hard in so long.

Then I got this message "This Lobby has Been Disbanded", I laughed even harder.

OceanBlue

Played for a long while. Story mode is great from a "I love all these characters" perspective. But it is pretty much a visual novel with occasional easy fights so far. But honestly that's fine with me. I would take more P4 story in almost any medium.

The actual fighting is pretty fun too from what I played around with in arcade mode and challenges and whatnot. Yukiko seems to be my girl so far. Definitely feeling my lack of fighting game chops in the later challenges.

On the negative side, 360 online is indeed atrocious. And most of the songs don't seem to loop. Instead they just awkwardly fade out then start over.

Songs not looping is probably my only complaint for most Arcsys music (aside from BB having harsh normalization, in my opinion). They never seem to do it for some reason.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, I can't get past Yu's 15 challenge. My hand is cramping.

Has anyone fully completed a characters challenges?

Finished Aigis up to 25 and then realized that not only will I probably never use them during a match, but there's better bread and butter combos that I could just practice in training mode.

Noi

Still seems possible, will just take time that's all.

Score Attack and "Fair" shouldn't exist in the same sentence. It's basically a gauntlet of boss versions for every character in the game, while you only play as a normal character. You have no continues, so if you lose against one, you have to restart from the very beginning. It's the equivalent of having to fight a whole bunch of SNK hard bosses, all in one go.

For reference. And that's the first fight.

BlackJace

Finished Aigis up to 25 and then realized that not only will I probably never use them during a match, but there's better bread and butter combos that I could just practice in training mode.

Yeah as someone said earlier, some of the later combos are suicide missions that probably won't even be used by even the most hardcore players.

Sophia

I have two complaints with this game.

One, Story Mode and Arcade Mode should really have separate difficulty settings. It's absurd that it basically jumps to Arcade Mode difficulty for the true ending final boss.

Two, fuck score attack. Seriously.

Astral

Guys, I can't get past Yu's 15 challenge. My hand is cramping.

Has anyone fully completed a characters challenges?

I finished all of Yu's. I'm gonna assume you have trouble getting Ziodyne to land. Start doing the input with your fingers during down C. His later challenges (especially 30) are a bitch so just take a break. I didn't and now I feel like I'm dying.

Also, does anyone know if you can unlock more BGMs for versus mode? I could've sworn I saw someone in here say Danger Zone from P3P was a versus mode BGM.

Tomat

Score Attack and "Fair" shouldn't exist in the same sentence. It's basically a gauntlet of boss versions for every character in the game, while you only play as a normal character. You have no continues, so if you lose against one, you have to restart from the very beginning. It's the equivalent of having to fight a whole bunch of SNK hard bosses, all in one go.

For reference. And that's the first fight.

Wow, that's fucked up.

Sophia

Wow, that's fucked up.

I tried score attack once and basically refuse to even it exists on the menu anymore. Seriously, fuck Score Attack mode in any Arc System Works game.

I want a proper survival mode, honestly. Guilty Gear had it, why not here? :\

Noi

Two, fuck score attack. Seriously.

It wasn't even as bad in BlazBlue because they allowed you to jump in as Player 2 and interrupt the match, which gave you a free continue if you were about to lose. Plus, you only had to fight the "Unlimited" versions of the last few fights, everyone before that was just the normal version. They introduced Unlimited Mars in EXTEND, which is this game's Score Attack, but they only required you to just attempt it ten times for a trophy.

I have no idea what compelled them to do Score Attack this way outside of wanting people to buy the DLC navis and making trophy hunters suffer.

SO glad I decided to pick this up today rather than waiting for the online to be patched first. Haven't been into a game like this for months.

Anyone buy the DLC or close to buying it? Really tempted to buy the glasses pack since I'm a sucker for cosmetic items (TF2 hats!).

I ended up buying the glasses pack DLC, its just cosmetic items. Kinda feel the glasses should have been in the game in the first place..but it was somewhat worth it I guess. :p

Sophia

I ended up buying the glasses pack DLC, its just cosmetic items. Kinda feel the glasses should have been in the game in the first place..but it was somewhat worth it I guess. :p

In the arcade mode, they WERE part of the original game in the first place.

It wasn't even as bad in BlazBlue because they allowed you to jump in as Player 2 and interrupt the match, which gave you a free continue if you were about to lose. Plus, you only had to fight the "Unlimited" versions of the last few fights, everyone before that was just the normal version. They introduced Unlimited Mars in EXTEND, which is this game's Score Attack, but they only required you to just attempt it ten times for a trophy.

I have no idea what compelled them to do Score Attack this way outside of wanting people to buy the DLC navis and making trophy hunters suffer.

Yeah I don't really get it either. It's completely at odds with the rest of the game's philosophy. Should be renamed and a proper Score Attack/Survival mode added in.

Um, guys?

I'm playing my friend in a lobby right now and we're on a stage where there's Noel and Ragna standing still in a background, looking all black and white. What the fuck is this shit? Pictures in a sec...

IMG_0044.jpg

MechaX

Well, ggs to the players in the room I was playing in, but it really felt like I was just blatantly wasting your guys' time.

BlackJace

I finished all of Yu's. I'm gonna assume you have trouble getting Ziodyne to land. Start doing the input with your fingers during down C. His later challenges (especially 30) are a bitch so just take a break. I didn't and now I feel like I'm dying.

Also, does anyone know if you can unlock more BGMs for versus mode? I could've sworn I saw someone in here say Danger Zone from P3P was a versus mode BGM.

Guess my troubles are only gonna get worse :p
Thanks for the tips.

Getting destroyed helps you get better imo in a way.

In Blazblue: Calamity Trigger I fought a Tager as Nu.

He beat me 20 times before I won a single match.

It helped me improve a lot as I had to try different strategies in order to get a win out.

Also, if you want practical combo's, don't use challenge mode.

Got to dust loop for usable combo's.

Top Bottom