• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

KaosAngel

Banned
Is it still possible to reserve it for the art book? I'm going to visit NYC this Thursday so I want to do a quick reserve and pick up the game with the art book. Is this possible?

epmode

drtomoe123 said:
Oh God, the first time that I fought it, I ended up with my characters killing themselves because they got status ailments...and the final form had like NO HP left. It KILLED me!
Asshole stole a full heal from Yukari. TWICE.

I had to go back for anti-charm stuff.

epmode said:

Erghhh, it makes me mad just remembering it! :lol

Anyways, my order on Amazon is being prepared...so that means it should go out tomorrow. I don't know why I'm worried, I can't play until Friday anyways because of finals.

Well...I shouldn't play, that is. :D

Blackjack

I never had a problem with the final boss of Persona 3.

of course, my lowest level character was 94, so the fight didn't exactly last long.

Blackjack said:
I never had a problem with the final boss of Persona 3.

of course, my lowest level character was 94, so the fight didn't exactly last long.

Honestly, I really wish that I would have gone back and leveled up more. I LOVE grinding in SMT games, it's really enjoyable. I think that after that big rush in the story there near the end of the game, I was just so eager to see the ending that I just wanted to finish.

Yaweee

epmode said:

As much as I love the phase design and music during that fight, I hate it like no other boss battle. Between the charmed heals back to full health, reflective shield that protects it 80% of the time, the propensity to get hit by a status ailment and die in a single hit, or that the fight is so damn long and mindlessly easy until the last phase, I was about ready to smash my fist through the TV screen.

Of course, all of that is moot if you've gone through Monad, but unless you're cheaping him, The Reaper is harder than the last boss.

zoku88

drtomoe123 said:
Honestly, I really wish that I would have gone back and leveled up more. I LOVE grinding in SMT games, it's really enjoyable. I think that after that big rush in the story there near the end of the game, I was just so eager to see the ending that I just wanted to finish.
You like grinding?

I always try to beat them at the lowest level possible. More use of strategy ^^

zoku88 said:
You like grinding?

I always try to beat them at the lowest level possible. More use of strategy ^^

I'm usually the SAME way. When it comes to most of the Final Fantasies, Wild Arms, Shadow Hearts, etc, I usually rush through, use lots of strategy, and I get more focused on the story than anything else.

Somehow, though, with the SMT and DQ games, I can run around and just sit there battle, battle, battle and be happy. I think it has more to do with the gameplay mechanics themselves...like in the SMT and DQ games, I always feel like the stats are a LOT more important than they are in Final Fantasy, for example.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
96.4% at gamerankings. FUCKING AWESOME.

Hashino :bow
Soejima :bow
Atlus R&D1 :bow

Blackjack said:
I don't wanna be left out :(

Honestly, I wouldn't mind this at all, at least when it comes to Atlus. As long as the quality doesn't go down the toilet, I'd rather have everyone experience great RPGs like this.

Wilsongt

Well, seeing as how my Gamestops have actually placed a normal magazine rack without space for guides like Doublejump's, I ordered the guide off of Amazon and it should arrive soon. Besides, if the guide is already out, I should have been able to find it already, but I've gone to three Gamestops and I've got nothing.

Fuckers better give me my Artbook on Tuesday/Wednesday, also...

Tamanon

Banned
Eh, a lot of times the guides aren't put out until the game comes in. I know I've gotten the Disgaea and P3 guides at gamestop. Back when they were Babbage's, I even got my P1 and P2:EP guides there!

drtomoe123 said:
Either this or a reprint of the first one. I was hoping that after they reprinted 2 that they'd go ahead and do the first one too.

I don't think Persona 1 has aged well, it was indeed an awesome game for its time, but now, mmm... ; \

Shanks

hidepsyence said:
I don't think Persona 1 has aged well, it was indeed an awesome game for its time, but now, mmm... ; \

Yeah. I honestly don't know if I'd buy it if they reprinted it. A remake would amazing though.

Tamanon

Banned
Persona 1 isn't a bad game, it's just from a different era of RPGs. Old school graph paper dungeon ones.

Also, it's pretty fuckin' hard.:lol Looooooooooooooots of grinding.

Durante

Instead of remakes or ports I'd rather have them work on a new game actually. (And if I had the choice then I'd want it for a HD platform (or both of them), but they should do whatever they think works best for them financially.
except DS
)

zoku88

Id like for them to makea new game with a different system than the P3 system. Im sure after P4, I'll be wanting something else.

Tamanon said:
Persona 1 isn't a bad game, it's just from a different era of RPGs. Old school graph paper dungeon ones.

Also, it's pretty fuckin' hard.:lol Looooooooooooooots of grinding.
Yeah. I put it in a few weeks ago to try it again, and man, I was confused. It took me an hour just to find the hospital, and this was before the game allowed battles. Just over an hour of, "Well, maybe it's over here? No. That's that tree thing again. Maybe to the south?"

zoku88 said:
Id like for them to makea new game with a different system than the P3 system. Im sure after P4, I'll be wanting something else.
I actually hope that the Persona games stay with the life sim aspects, as I find them to be awesomely, but it would be nice for them to take a break from the series. I just might be tired of it after 4, but I doubt it.

Volcynika

zoku88 said:

There's always hoping that SMT IV finally is announced!

Volcynika said:
I heard Persona 1 was just awful, so if it would just be reprinted, no buy on that!

Haha, I just want it looking all pretty on my shelf next to P2, P3, and P4. No one said I'd force myself to play it, haha.

zoku88

crowphoenix said:
I actually hope that the Persona games stay with the life sim aspects, as I find them to be awesomely, but it would be nice for them to take a break from the series. I just might be tired of it after 4, but I doubt it.
I meant the battle system and dungeons specifically. This one still has random ones, right?

I hate that.

I like it when RPGs have lots of little dungeons :-/

I love my sim parts

matmanx1

Atlus R&D1 games are soooo good even on the PS2 that I'd love to see what they could do with the extra horsepower provided by the PS3/360. And I really hope they do go multi-platform with their first HD game as the more people that can buy and enjoy it, the better. The art and design elements are so good that it would be a real treat to see them on a system with alot more horsepower.

Anyway, Persona 4 is almost here and I'm extremely excited. And it looks like it's about time to change my avatar. :D

Forkball

The problem with the life sim stuff is that it's not too flexible. Yeah, you can improve whatever S. Link/skill you want, but you're on a pretty tight schedule if you want to max out as many as possible. There should also be more sidequests/minigames/random events because basically the life sim aspect is there to just boost your S. Links.

Teknoman

BlazingDarkness said:
i want a Persona for my PSP
the calendar system lends itself well for portable gaming imo

There was one scheduled awhile back according to IGN. But that was quite some time ago.

Personally i'd like some kinda remake of Persona 1 and 2. Keep the same story, characters, and settings of course, but just with the Persona 3-4 battle system (except able to control all characters).

Of course i'd also like SMT IV on PS3 or a new spin off SMT series for an HD system altogether.

Tamanon

Banned
Forkball said:
The problem with the life sim stuff is that it's not too flexible. Yeah, you can improve whatever S. Link/skill you want, but you're on a pretty tight schedule if you want to max out as many as possible. There should also be more sidequests/minigames/random events because basically the life sim aspect is there to just boost your S. Links.

You should enjoy P4 then, there's a lot more side stuff to do.

Blackjack

I really think I'd like the S.Links A LOT more if there wasn't a silent protagonist. As it is, I'm basically just telling everyone exactly what they hear and it's just stupid.

Also maybe if I could have some friends that weren't so damn whiny.

Blackjack said:
I really think I'd like the S.Links A LOT more if there wasn't a silent protagonist. As it is, I'm basically just telling everyone exactly what they hear and it's just stupid.

Also maybe if I could have some friends that weren't so damn whiny.
Or if they really actually acted like real life, where you'd have to go against them to get them to a good place? There were so many times in 3 I was "While this is a completely stupid decision, I will say it's awesome so that you will like me more and I can summon something stronger."

Blackjack

crowphoenix said:
Or if they really actually acted like real life, where you'd have to go against them to get them to a good place? There were so many times in 3 I was "While this is a completely stupid decision, I will say it's awesome so that you will like me more and I can summon something stronger."
Or if you could do something that makes sense...

"My mom's sick and can't really support us...I guess I'll have to give up all my hopes and dreams and work a dead end job for the rest of my life..."

"- Okay.
- See ya later.
- Bye"

Why no "You know...I can make hundreds of thousands of yen every night, maybe I could give you a loan..."

I've been watching a few videos and such, but I was wondering...I know you can control the other party members or set it to AI, but is the MC still the only one who can change Persona in this one?

I really liked P3 a lot more in P2 in that regard. In P2, I always felt so overwhelmed, having to get cards and find the best stuff for each character. In P3, it was so nice just getting to worry about the demons that I wanted.

Blackjack

drtomoe123 said:
I've been watching a few videos and such, but I was wondering...I know you can control the other party members or set it to AI, but is the MC still the only one who can change Persona in this one?

I really liked P3 a lot more in P2 in that regard. In P2, I always felt so overwhelmed, having to get cards and find the best stuff for each character. In P3, it was so nice just getting to worry about the demons that I wanted.
Yup.

I'm the exact opposite way, though. Every time I play through Persona 2, it makes me like Persona 3 less :lol I miss all of my party members being useful, instead of them just being glorified meat shields for the MC.

birdchili

...a tale of a young manipulative man, charming his way to power in order to defeat a shadowy menace... putting aside personal feelings of right, he uses his friends and peers to serve a greater purpose: saving the world.

i'd love to see a return to the persona 2-style conversations, where you had to exploit the demons' various personalities to various ends.

Guled

I think the next Persona game will be for psp, but I hope for next-gen but I don't think they have the cash yet. I just hope its not on Wii

Blackjack said:
Yup.

I'm the exact opposite way, though. Every time I play through Persona 2, it makes me like Persona 3 less :lol I miss all of my party members being useful, instead of them just being glorified meat shields for the MC.

I honestly don't get why I feel that way, haha. I mean, I love my Pokemon, so why don't I love collecting stuff for P2? :lol

But thanks, that makes me feel better. Maybe after I finish P4, I might try to go back and appreciate the system. :D

You know, thinking back on P2, I think it might have just been a bad first impression. I remember being horribly confused during the beginning of the game. I didn't realize how to use your Persona until like an hour in the game. I just kept attacking stuff physically. :lol

Top Bottom