• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

I'd beaten Persona 4 last week, really loved it as the only big RPG I'd played so far this year besides Pokemon Platinum. That said, I thought that
the final-final dungeon and boss were fairly throw-away, felt like what would've happened if FES was half-complete for P3 and stapled onto the end of original P3
. Also, the anime sequences were extremely jarring compared to everything else overall.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Fimbulvetr said:
Really? I thought it was when she tells you the weakness of a random enemy as you enter battle(you are never told which enemy it is).

"The enemy is weak to fire! That's HOT!":lol

Haha, I seem to remember her saying this as well:
"The enemy is weak to ice? Time to cool it down, sempai!"

At least she's not... unBEARable! Am I right? Am I right?

MechaX

Red Scarlet said:
Fuuka made me mute Ted and Rise just on principle of their role in the group. Hate her.

"[She] has multiple weaknesses."

In all seriousness, Fuuka did at least have a funny reaction to the Fortune boss.

dralla

Fuuka is the most boring/cliche jRPG archetype of a character possible. I just pretended she didn't really exist.

Teddie is 20 times better. Rise...meh

Tamanon

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
But Teddie has the best lines!

"Five reinforcements, grin and bear it!"

Then again Fuuka was a freaking captain obvious at times.

That's so weird using a Wild Arms 2 song! I've never heard him say "Ding", that's so awesome, I hope that's one of his leveling up quotes.

My favorite Teddie quote was either "Wow! This tastes awful!" or "It's because *I'm* not working hard enough!" The delivery on both was hilarious.

Fimbulvetr said:
But Teddie has the best lines!

"Five reinforcements, grin and bear it!"

Then again Fuuka was a freaking captain obvious at times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2Daj43A3mI&NR=1

:lol

Fuuka is the most boring/cliche jRPG archetype of a character possible. I just pretended she didn't really exist.

She's actually a bit oddly endearing*. Too bad character development was off the shelf in that game and subtle as a bag of doorknobs.

At least outside of battle. All 4 of them are Captain Obvious. I'd actually like if they were quieter and more conversational with the battle folks talking to them and trading quips. They kinda act as if they can't hear each other.

That's so weird using a Wild Arms 2 song! I've never heard him say "Ding", that's so awesome, I hope that's one of his leveling up quotes.

My favorite Teddie quote was either "Wow! This tastes awful!" or "It's because *I'm* not working hard enough!" The delivery on both was hilarious.

Note how the ones that the devs specifically aimed to change for the English dub and landed the perfect role. Perfect voice, perfect delivery, perfect enthusiasm. Anything else would sound sickeningly sweet or creepily wierd. Chie was the other one. (AH HA IS THIS OUR CHANCE notwithstanding).

"I'VE CLIMBED THE STAIRWAY...to maturity."
"Just say the word, and it's BEAR TIME!"
"KANJI! So you WERE after my fuzzy fur!"

Tamanon

Banned
Rise at least varies her tone of voice in the game. Fuuka never did, I actually would've preferred Mitsuru sticking around as support.

DR2K

Banned
I love Rise, mainly because her VA does the voice work for ChunLi in SFIV. I was bummed out when I found out she wasn't playable.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Its not like Persona 4 doesnt also fail with the subtly. Plot points are drilled into your face and then repeated with awkward prose by every member of the group.

firex

Rise/Teddie are both better than Fuuka would ever be, and it's awesome being able to double dip by having Teddie in your party and Rise commenting. In general I like P4's cast more than 3's anyway, but part of that is the Fuuka factor, and part of that is P3 having crappy characters like Ken and Chidori (worst subplot in P3, and she gets way too much screen time).

Yaweee

HK-47 said:
Its not like Persona 4 doesnt also fail with the subtly. Plot points are drilled into your face and then repeated with awkward prose by every member of the group.

Have you played Raidou 2 yet?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Yaweee said:
Any complaints about characters repeating things in P3/P4 will be dwarfed by Raidou 2.

Yeah so? You think thats a good argument? "Hey these games may have awkward writing and plot exposition deserving of ridicule but at least they arent this game."

All this tells me is Persona and Raidou writers need to learn subtly.

Yaweee

HK-47 said:
Yeah so? You think thats a good argument? "Hey these games may have awkward writing and plot exposition deserving of ridicule but at least they arent this game."

All this tells me is Persona and Raidou writers need to learn subtly.

Oh, I wasn't trying to use it as an excuse or defending P3/P4. I was just bringing up that your description fits Raidou 2's problem perfectly.

ultron87

I'm now standing at the doorway to the boss in Heaven. But I'm waiting till tomorrow to actually fight it so that my friend who has been watching me play the vast majority of the game will be back. Because this game is extra awesome when you have someone co piloting.

I don't know how much longer I can take the emotional devastation brought on by
coming home and not having Nanako there welcoming you back. If/when it gets worse this game is going to destroy me.

ultron87 said:
I'm now standing at the doorway to the boss in Heaven. But I'm waiting till tomorrow to actually fight it so that my friend who has been watching me play the vast majority of the game will be back. Because this game is extra awesome when you have someone co piloting.

I don't know how much longer I can take the emotional devastation brought on by
coming home and not having Nanako there welcoming you back. If/when it gets worse this game is going to destroy me.

If you don't want any more emotional devastation, you should be very careful to avoid getting the bad ending. I mean, you should do that anyway, but still...

ultron87

KuwabaraTheMan said:
If you don't want any more emotional devastation, you should be very careful to avoid getting the bad ending. I mean, you should do that anyway, but still...

I'm gonna see what ending I end up getting without any guides, but from what I've heard it's kind of not obvious on how to get the good one. So we'll see what happens. When do you need to have a save to be able to go back and re do stuff the correct way? Beginning of December?

ultron87 said:
I'm gonna see what ending I end up getting without any guides, but from what I've heard it's kind of not obvious on how to get the good one. So we'll see what happens. When do you need to have a save to be able to go back and re do stuff the correct way? Beginning of December?

Yeah, start of December will be just fine.

The game doesn't let you save after any choices that effect what ending you get, so if you do get a bad one, you can just reload your save file and do things differently.

Tamanon

Banned
So, got my second cycle up to the ending fork. Man, it's such an emotionally brutal scene, the voice acting was tremendous and really helped enhance the emotions. Been changing things up with Kanji, Yukiko and Yosuke. Kanji's been much more effective than I remember him, he hits damn hard.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Fuuka is better than Teddie and Rise. She can warp you out of the dungeon FOR FREE. No need to buy shitty items or have some shitty skill taking a skill slot.

Fuuka>Teddie and Rise.

Tamanon said:
So, got my second cycle up to the ending fork. Man, it's such an emotionally brutal scene, the voice acting was tremendous and really helped enhance the emotions. Been changing things up with Kanji, Yukiko and Yosuke. Kanji's been much more effective than I remember him, he hits damn hard.

That was the party I used for most of the second half of the game my first time through, and I found that it worked really well. Kanji is definitely the tank of the party in this game. His attacks hit for a lot more damage than anyone else. I only wish he could learn something that did physical damage to all.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Error said:
Fuuka is better than Teddie and Rise. She can warp you out of the dungeon FOR FREE. No need to buy shitty items or have some shitty skill taking a skill slot.

Fuuka>Teddie and Rise.

Doesnt make up for how annoying she is. Goho-Ms cost pretty much nothing.

KuwabaraTheMan said:

There are two bad endings, or at least two variants of the bad ending.

Tamanon

Banned
firehawk12 said:
Wait, two bad endings?

Big ol' spoilers.

If you push Namatame in right away, Nanako doesn't come back to life period. Then it warps forward to March and Dojima sends you off as everyone is depressed and he questions whether the right thing was done

Well, to be technical, there are actually three bad endings, not two.

There's the Nanako dies ending, the Nanako lives but you still think Namatame was the culprit ending, and the you realize Namatame wasn't the murderer but never find out who did it ending. The last two are similar, but they have differences between them.

Curufinwe

What actions do you need to do for those last two endings? I'm pretty sure I've seen both of them, but I forget what exactly you need to do differently.

Tamanon

Banned
For the Nanako lives but Namatame is though to be the killer, you just have to get one of the questions wrong after calming Yosuke down a bit. For the other one, you have to get on the Normal Ending path and then not pick the culprit correctly when you go outside to think.

ultron87

By beating the boss in Heaven I've officially caught up to the Endurance Run! Yay!

Now when they finish the game I'll be able to watch (unless they start playing five hours a day or something). I'm hoping they'll do a live show for the epic conclusion.

The boss for Heaven was pretty easy, though I did lose once when he
Controlled all 3 of my party members when he had a sliver of health left. Stupid me went for the kill and didn't have enough to do it. And unfortunately the thing I had in was weak to fire. Which led to unpleasantness all around when Yukiko used Agidyne. The second time around went pretty well, though I was surprised when he decided to mind control all 3 people on his first cast of the spell, since the last time he had grabbed just Yosuke.

I have Naoto's S-link up to 5, I hope I have enough time left to get her to Max (mostly so I can be dating as many girls as possible by the end of the game.)

Frawdder

Wooo! Finished the game over the weekend and I have to say it was one of the best games I've played.

I thought the last dungeon would've been a little harder that it was, it just didn't seem to worry me as much as some of the previous dungeons. Final boss spoilers
Fighting Izanami I thought "This is WAY too easy" and then she turned into Izanami-no-Okami :lol
. On the subject of the end of the game I had an interesting thought,
when you're sucked into the hole or whatever (Thousand Curses spell) and you're met by all of your max S-Links telling you to stand up and fight, I wonder what would happen if you didn't have any max S-Links? Would the game tell you you have no strength or that you have no friends? I mean you'd have to be pretty stupid to not have at least one max.
I don't know it's just something that I thought of.

I really liked the story and all the characters own personal stories, even though some of them are a little depressing at the end. Also the main story finished nicely, explained everything and made sense. Definitely a nice break from the "Save the world, congrats" in some other games.

I'm quite looking forward to playing through it again, but I might give it some time before then. Now I'm off to find Persona 3 'cause I've got the bug and need more Persona and more SMT (damn living in Australia and not being able to find Nocturne/Lucifer's Call)

Frawdder said:
I wonder what would happen if you didn't have any max S-Links? Would the game tell you you have no strength or that you have no friends? I mean you'd have to be pretty stupid to not have at least one max.
I don't know it's just something that I thought of.

Concerning that
Teddie is automatic so he'd always be there, and the rest of your party may show up if you count the Fool and Judgment Arcana(not really sure if they count though).

Frawdder

Fimbulvetr said:
Concerning that
Teddie is automatic so he'd always be there, and the rest of your party may show up if you count the Fool and Judgment Arcana.

Oh, of course! *slaps forehead* Don't know why that didn't occur to me.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ah right, I forgot that there were a lot of chances to go off course with the various choices at the end game.

On the S-link stuff -
I wonder what happens at the final battle if you don't have S-link 9 with your party members... do they still take the hits for you?

It's strange. I kind of want to see this stuff to see if they accounted for it, but I don't want to play a less that optimal run of the game. Oh well. :lol

Tamanon

Banned
firehawk12 said:
Ah right, I forgot that there were a lot of chances to go off course with the various choices at the end game.

On the S-link stuff -
I wonder what happens at the final battle if you don't have S-link 9 with your party members... do they still take the hits for you?

It's strange. I kind of want to see this stuff to see if they accounted for it, but I don't want to play a less that optimal run of the game. Oh well. :lol

Well, remember....
S. Link 1 is taking the hit for you, S. Link 9 is surviving it!

Top Bottom