• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Tamanon

Banned
Hell I liked P3's guide just for the little bits at the beginning about the various holidays and honorifics. Plus the interview was nice.

inner-G

Banned
Tamanon said:
Hell I liked P3's guide just for the little bits at the beginning about the various holidays and honorifics. Plus the interview was nice.
Yeah, i don't think you would have even gotten that stuff about the holidays anywhere in the game.

Not to mention that sometimes you take a few days off from the game and you come back to it only to find yourself thinking: "WTF is Terntraroofoo or Marakukajah" or some shit.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Tamanon said:
51B0KQZPQEL._SS500_.jpg
I miss Igor's bone cellphone.

And I really miss Nanashi/Nameless and Belladonna. Was hoping P4 would bring them back when I knew P3 wouldn't have them, they add so much charm to the Room. Please, Atlus, for P5!

Blackjack

Darkman M said:
This is one of the few games were the guide is almost essential, especially is you want all s-links and persona.
From what I hear S.Links are much, much, much easier than in Persona 3.

Tenks

Tamanon said:
As long as there's no S Link like Yukari's which breaks just because I try and give her a hug!

They should add in the option where if you're too nice and a total puss to the girl she friends zones you and you can never achieve anything higher than SLink4!

Tamanon

Banned
Tenks said:
They should add in the option where if you're too nice and a total puss to the girl she friends zones you and you can never achieve anything higher than SLink4!

Well....the girls do have two branches. One a friend, and one a girlfriend!

Blackjack

Tenks said:
Not no higher than rank 4, you're just locked into the Friendship path.

And then the rest of the S.Links are all about how the MC has turned into a Nice Guy douchenozzle.

Guled

Tenks said:
awesome idea :lol

Costanza

Banned
Tenks said:
:lol :lol :lol

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Never played a Persona game, but GAF loves it so I may buy this next year (once my back log gets finished a bit). If I need linearity in my games, will this still appeal to me?

Tenks

jon bones said:
Never played a Persona game, but GAF loves it so I may buy this next year (once my back log gets finished a bit). If I need linearity in my games, will this still appeal to me?

Persona3, at least, was very much on rails.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Tenks said:
Persona3, at least, was very much on rails.

OK, so far, so good. A few more things someone may help me with:

-I keep hearing these games are like 100+ hours long... is that with sidequests or is the main quest that long? I don't know the last time a super-long game held my attention...
-Do I have to worry about the game + guide + goodies going out of print in the next 6 months?

sublime085 said:
I'm buying this tomorrow just so I can it get while it's still easy to find.

I won't be playing it for a few months most likely though. Gotta keep playing P3. I'm only in September of the Journey.

Is there any reason P4 will be hard to find? I literally just picked up P3:FES and I saw it in a few stores. I'm assuming there will also be a FES style update of this as well if I don't bite on P4 now.

mollipen

Tamanon said:
It's either buy the guide now, or pay three times the price later on! I collect them personally. I even have this one!

51B0KQZPQEL._SS500_.jpg

I wrote the two opening text pages and then the next couple pages of information, by the way.

Guled

jon bones said:
OK, so far, so good. A few more things someone may help me with:

-I keep hearing these games are like 100+ hours long... is that with sidequests or is the main quest that long? I don't know the last time a super-long game held my attention...
-Do I have to worry about the game + guide + goodies going out of print in the next 6 months?
guide and goodies most likely, but I'm sure you can find the game 6 months from now. I would say the main quest in P3 is around 60 hours, but I can totally see people sending over 100 hours on it

Amir0x

Banned
Man I really haven't finished any games on my backlog, this is like a 80 hour behemoth or some shit. I'm so fucked.

Tamanon

Banned
Picked up the guide and the Gamestop guys said the game would be in stock tomorrow for me to pick up. Nice:)

Huh, the opening of the guide is really useful, laying out the different ways to increase your stats, and which ones you should concentrate on first. Pretty hefty 50 or 60 pages before even the walkthrough.

Ok so i went to gs today before class for last min p4 preorder action and low and behold i managed to get the art book early. I only had a chance to take a glance, but it looks good so far, even with the overabundance of the color yellow.

Guled

Tamanon said:
Picked up the guide and the Gamestop guys said the game would be in stock tomorrow for me to pick up. Nice:)

Huh, the opening of the guide is really useful, laying out the different ways to increase your stats, and which ones you should concentrate on first. Pretty hefty 50 or 60 pages before even the walkthrough.
thats why I love doublejump guides

Tamanon said:

which gamestop? ;o

ampere

inner-G said:
Not to mention that sometimes you take a few days off from the game and you come back to it only to find yourself thinking: "WTF is Terntraroofoo or Marakukajah" or some shit.
:lol :lol :lol
Some of those attack names were pretty bizarre. I kept forgetting them all the time. However, by the time I finished the game, most were glued to my brain.

Tamanon said:
Tentarafoo is Japanese for "Wasted turn of Mitsuru"

:lol It's funny cause it's true. I hated using her just because of that, but everyone had that one really useless spell. I'm so glad P4 gives you full control.

Just pre-ordered at Gamestop and they had artbooks! Yay. I got mine.

Tamanon said:
Tentarafoo is Japanese for "Wasted turn of Mitsuru"
I'm playing P3 right now and that move literally just saved my ass on the Magical Magi battle.

It charmed everyone and saved my ass big time.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
I've been in an RPG mood lately (Last Remnant, Titan Quest, and I have Valkyria Chronicles and Witcher in my backlog). I think I'll pick up Persona 4 this week.

So it'll also be my first SMT/Persona game. Should I play Persona 3 first (not for the story but because it's so damn good?) or just start with this game and then go back to Persona 3 when I have time and have enjoyed this game? I gotta be honest, this series looks about as hardcore as it gets and I'm feeling intimidated.

I'm also going to Japan soon so this will put me in the mood. :)

Shouta

Duck Amuck said:
ALDJF;

FUCK

It's actually fairly balanced now. I got some SICK bonuses from them through the course of the game while getting hit with some bad ones. P3's shuffle time is waaaaay too nice and overpowering IMO and this new version provides some really cool benefits.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
chespace said:
I've been in an RPG mood lately (Last Remnant, Titan Quest, and I have Valkyria Chronicles and Witcher in my backlog). I think I'll pick up Persona 4 this week.

So it'll also be my first SMT/Persona game. Should I play Persona 3 first (not for the story but because it's so damn good?) or just start with this game and then go back to Persona 3 when I have time and have enjoyed this game? I gotta be honest, this series looks about as hardcore as it gets and I'm feeling intimidated.

I'm also going to Japan soon so this will put me in the mood. :)

I say start with P4 for the sole reason that dungeons are supposed to be much more varied/distinct in setting this time around.

Volcynika

Persona 4 uses much of Persona 3's systems, so if you go from 4 to 3, you might feel a little limited in what you can do.

Tamanon

Banned
o_O Fusion Forecast is more fun and useful than I thought. This game has so many more side things and methods of improving your characters/personas than P3. :D

Tamanon

Banned
Hey Marin Karin actually surprised me a few times, especially when it worked on Tartarus bosses like the Knights.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Shouta said:
It's actually fairly balanced now. I got some SICK bonuses from them through the course of the game while getting hit with some bad ones. P3's shuffle time is waaaaay too nice and overpowering IMO and this new version provides some really cool benefits.
Now I'm curious to try it. Was getting a bit worried.

Costanza

Banned
The following items have been shipped to you by Amazon.com:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Qty Item Price Shipped Subtotal

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Amazon.com items (Sold by Amazon.com, LLC):

1 Shin Megami Tensei: Person... $34.99 1 $34.99

Shipped via UPS

:D :D :D :D

edit: UPS says the package is 2lbs, so that confirms Amazon didn't screw me out of an artbook.

Tamanon

Banned
Fuu said:
I miss Igor's bone cellphone.

And I really miss Nanashi/Nameless and Belladonna. Was hoping P4 would bring them back when I knew P3 wouldn't have them, they add so much charm to the Room. Please, Atlus, for P5!

Interview in the guide mentions them. Igor explains why they're not there in the room in the game. Also the interview says that Philemon is the Butterfly in both P3 and P4.:lol

Guled

Costanza said:
The following items have been shipped to you by Amazon.com:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Qty Item Price Shipped Subtotal

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Amazon.com items (Sold by Amazon.com, LLC):

1 Shin Megami Tensei: Person... $34.99 1 $34.99

Shipped via UPS

:D :D :D :D
lucky you

Got my copy a couple of hours ago from Amazon. Was going to play DMC4 to hold me over, but since I got it today I guess I'll start it today. Better luck next year DMC4.

Top Bottom