• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Tokubetsu said:
How do books work? I just bought a great man or something and read it "thoroughly." Did I make the right choice? Will the book ever finish if i keep reading it on days?

When you read "throughly" it takes 4 nights to complete. Doing a glance read lets you complete it in 2. Generally, reading "throughly" is best as it allows you to get stats you can not get normally (like courage) during the night.

Boulayman

Ok, I levelled up MC + yukiko to level 23, chie and yosuke are at 22 (So I got the famed Assault Dive :) ). I got Rakhasha at level 25 and an Eligor

Bought 7 revival beads, 6 medical kits

I am READY for Shadow kanji ! Except it's now 3 am so I am just gonna save my progress and go to sleep :) I'll try tomorrow, I'll let you know if I am able to beat him at last

firex

I totally forgot about the snobby girl you can go out with, but I meant the cast of playable characters anyway. I forgot her because I don't really give a crap about her link, so I only go out with her when she asks me to. anyway...

I beat Shadow Kanji with everyone at level 24. Just switch off between a persona with media (or buy some medical kits or whatever the medical item is that's +50 HP to everyone, since medical kit's +100 HP to everyone might be overhealing and honestly it might be too expensive) and an ara mitama, and Yosuke has one role in that battle: casting dekaja until Nice Guy is dead. The whole point of that fight is to dispel the boss's buffs and then debuff him if at all possible. Don't forget Yosuke has sukukaja too, so if Tough Guy or Shadow Kanji still kick your ass after Nice Guy is dead and they have no buffs, use sukukaja on the hero and Yukiko for more dodges. Chie just needs to use assault dive every round, which is why it helps to have the hero as a healer/backup healer. I completely ignored Tough Guy figuring either the fight would end with Shadow Kanji's death, or everyone could pile on Tough Guy for an easy win, and the former turned out to be true. Tough Guy is ridiculously ineffective in that fight though, unless you just have shitty luck and he criticals people.

Despite the characters not having the same ability sets as in P3, I'm finding the party members work out similar to these P3 counterparts, in terms of battle roles so far anyway (level 41 for my main party):
Chie = Junpei
Yosuke = Akihiko
Yukiko = Yukari
Kanji = Shinjiro
Teddie = Ken

I'm guessing the one I should be recruiting soon will be like Aigis... at least I hope so. I really hope I get a character whose persona has all of the ma-buffs so I stop having to fuse a persona with marakukaja/sukukaja/tarukaja on the main character. Although I like that early characters basically have one of the different buffs, because in P3 I only recall Junpei getting rakukaja early on, and then when you're like halfway through the game, you eventually get someone with tarukaja and sukukaja, until you get Aigis with all 3.

Blackjack

firex said:
I totally forgot about the snobby girl you can go out with, but I meant the cast of playable characters anyway. I forgot her because I don't really give a crap about her link, so I only go out with her when she asks me to. anyway...

I beat Shadow Kanji with everyone at level 24. Just switch off between a persona with media (or buy some medical kits or whatever the medical item is that's +50 HP to everyone, since medical kit's +100 HP to everyone might be overhealing and honestly it might be too expensive) and an ara mitama, and Yosuke has one role in that battle: casting dekaja until Nice Guy is dead. The whole point of that fight is to dispel the boss's buffs and then debuff him if at all possible. Don't forget Yosuke has sukukaja too, so if Tough Guy or Shadow Kanji still kick your ass after Nice Guy is dead and they have no buffs, use sukukaja on the hero and Yukiko for more dodges. Chie just needs to use assault dive every round, which is why it helps to have the hero as a healer/backup healer. I completely ignored Tough Guy figuring either the fight would end with Shadow Kanji's death, or everyone could pile on Tough Guy for an easy win, and the former turned out to be true. Tough Guy is ridiculously ineffective in that fight though, unless you just have shitty luck and he criticals people.

Despite the characters not having the same ability sets as in P3, I'm finding the party members work out similar to these P3 counterparts, in terms of battle roles so far anyway (level 41 for my main party):
Chie = Junpei
Yosuke = Akihiko
Yukiko = Yukari
Kanji = Shinjiro
Teddie = Ken

I'm guessing the one I should be recruiting soon will be like Aigis... at least I hope so. I really hope I get a character whose persona has all of the ma-buffs so I stop having to fuse a persona with marakukaja/sukukaja/tarukaja on the main character. Although I like that early characters basically have one of the different buffs, because in P3 I only recall Junpei getting rakukaja early on, and then when you're like halfway through the game, you eventually get someone with tarukaja and sukukaja, until you get Aigis with all 3.
Kanji is more like Junpei, really, since he gets top-tier spells. Chie maxes out at Bufula/Mabufu, and after that she's pure physical, like Shinjiro.

evanylee

NOOOOOOOOOOO!
no_chie.jpg

Tokubetsu

Shadow
yukiko
just kicked my ass. Party is level 11 and we got pretty far. She was down about 2/3rds and hadn't even hit Chie with anything besides physical stuff yet when my MC just gets hit with some bullshit physical attack that did him in. Any tips or fusion recommendations?

Tetsuo9

Tokubetsu said:
Shadow
yukiko
just kicked my ass. Party is level 11 and we got pretty far. She was down about 2/3rds and hadn't even hit Chie with anything besides physical stuff yet when my MC just gets hit with some bullshit physical attack that did him in. Any tips or fusion recommendations?
It was "burn to ashes" that killed you?, it's a fire attack, so you should use a fire str persona. Try to fuse senri. Guard with Chie when she makes that move, but try to keep the prince down with ice spells.

firex

Blackjack said:
Kanji is more like Junpei, really, since he gets top-tier spells. Chie maxes out at Bufula/Mabufu, and after that she's pure physical, like Shinjiro.
Junpei was a useless caster though while Kanji actually does damage with his spells. just like Akihiko, he starts out as a fighter who can cast, but is mainly a melee/backup healer. and so far (level 45), just like Akihiko, he grows into an offensive mage and his melee starts to tail off.

I have yet to notice anyone really like Mitsuru (pure offensive mage) but I haven't bothered leveling up
Teddie
yet and they might fit that role (despite seeing them start out with a group heal, something Mitsuru never got).

and actually when I think about it, Chie is kind of like Metis from The Answer in Fes, just without the dual elements.

also, anytime anyone is having trouble against physical attacks, sukukaja + rakukaja are what you probably want to go for. You can also fuse a persona strong against fire and physical attacks for that boss fight pretty easily using what you'll win from shuffle time.

Tokubetsu

Tetsuo9 said:
It was "burn to ashes" that killed you?, it's a fire attack, so you should use a fire str persona. Try to fuse senri. Guard with Chie when she makes that move, but try to keep the prince down with ice spells.

Senri is fused with orobas and what else? I've got a pretty strong orobas so far but I'm having a hard time getting other personas since shuffle is definitely more difficult in this than in 3 :lol

Blackjack

firex said:
Junpei was a useless caster though while Kanji actually does damage with his spells. just like Akihiko, he starts out as a fighter who can cast, but is mainly a melee/backup healer. and so far (level 45), just like Akihiko, he grows into an offensive mage and his melee starts to tail off.

I have yet to notice anyone really like Mitsuru (pure offensive mage) but I haven't bothered leveling up
Teddie
yet and they might fit that role (despite seeing them start out with a group heal, something Mitsuru never got).

and actually when I think about it, Chie is kind of like Metis from The Answer in Fes, just without the dual elements.

also, anytime anyone is having trouble against physical attacks, sukukaja + rakukaja are what you probably want to go for. You can also fuse a persona strong against fire and physical attacks for that boss fight pretty easily using what you'll win from shuffle time.
:lol WHAT. :lol

My level 84 Kanji has, like, 70+ strength and 30 Magic.

Ourobolus

Banned
Man, I don't see how anyone had any issues with Shadow
Teddie
. I beat him on the first try, without a guide. Why was everyone having issues?

Yaweee

Ourobolus said:
Man, I don't see how anyone had any issues with Shadow
Teddie
. I beat him on the first try, without a guide. Why was everyone having issues?

Because if you don't know what element he's using, or what his pattern is, he can kill you in a single turn?

Blackjack

Yaweee said:
Because if you don't know what element he's using, or what his pattern is, he can kill you in a single turn?
But everything he does that can potentially do damage to you is clearly telegraphed...

Yaweee

Blackjack said:
But everything he does that can potentially do damage to you is clearly telegraphed...

When does he telegraph what element he uses? It's clear when he is going to do magic, or physical, but you won't know what element he is until you see him cast it for the first time. Even if you do make sure to not have a weakness exposed, he can still off members in a single hit if your level is too low.

First try on expert was at 26. It was a complete disaster.

grandjedi6 said:
Poor Persona 4. Had it come out on one of the next gen consoles it would be in the running for many RPG of the year awards. But as it currently stands even gaf is forgetting about it. Ah well, Persona 4 will just have to be content with being the Best Rated RPG on the PS2 :D

And the third highest rated game of the year.

EGM/1up will probably give it quite a bit of recognition.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Poor Persona 4. Had it come out on one of the next gen consoles it would be in the running for many RPG of the year awards. But as it currently stands even gaf is forgetting about it. Ah well, Persona 4 will just have to be content with being the Best Rated RPG on the PS2 :D

Blackjack

Yaweee said:
When does he telegraph what element he uses? It's clear when he is going to do magic, or physical, but you won't know what element he is until you see him cast it for the first time. Even if you do make sure to not have a weakness exposed, he can still off members in a single hit if your level is too low.

First try on expert was at 26. It was a complete disaster.
There is a guard option for a reason.

Yaweee

Blackjack said:
There is a guard option for a reason.

I'm not saying it's the hardest fight in the game, but it's sure not the easiest one, either, and you shouldn't be surprised that people die one or two times against him. It's probably the longest boss battle, and his damage output is not trivial.

If you're not on top of your buffs/debuffs, he can kill guarding people in a single hit.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Hey guys, what strategy do you recommend for the Dark Void boss?

My party is level 38 and it is Chie, Yukiko, Lead Character, and Yosuke.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Didn't think I would need
Media against an
early boss like
Yukiko's Shadow
. Had to level up my Archangel a bit until I got it, then the battle went pretty well. Just made a pumped Jack Frost, fusion forecast rocks.

Durante said:
Here are the requested gifs:
Yosuke's battle end animation
kb99mw.jpg

t6wcoh.jpg

Galactic Punt!
ok3m9u.jpg

I also made a summer version of my avatar but for some reason I don't like it nearly as much as the winter one :/
2v0h9wz.jpg
I'm a few pages late but... Durante, I love you.

Thanks! :D

Edit: aww, the avatar gets stretched to 90×162. I'll try to mess around with it later.
Edit2: cropped the bigger one to make it square sized and under gaf's limit (it's smaller but I like the close-up). Thanks again, Durante, saved all the gifs including your avatar.

Ledsen

Tokubetsu said:
Senri is fused with orobas and what else? I've got a pretty strong orobas so far but I'm having a hard time getting other personas since shuffle is definitely more difficult in this than in 3 :lol

You don't even need a fire-resistant Persona for that fight. Just level up a bit, get Mabufu for Chie and fuse a Valkyrie (she gets Media after 2 lvls, hopefully you Social Link is high enough that she gets it immediately). Media+Mabufu=easy as pecan pie. I was in the same situation (lvl 11, got my ass kicked) and just grinded for about 20 minutes to get to lvl 14 (for Mabufu).

Tamanon

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
Hey guys, what strategy do you recommend for the Dark Void boss?

My party is level 38 and it is Chie, Yukiko, Lead Character, and Yosuke.

You need Mediarama and some way to cure Exhaustion, be it Nervundi or Energy Shower. And you need to be able to deal damage as quick as possible.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
grandjedi6 said:
I wish Atlus USA had enough budget to put some tv ads for this game. :(

the adult swim crowd would eat this game up.

Volcynika

Error said:

Don't they do bumps just talking about some things on some days? Wouldn't even need a full fledged ad, but I don't see that happening either. :/

I just beat the
Heaven's
dungeon. I think there may be one or two more dungeons left. Does anyone know what the last good save date would be? That is, on what day do I actually get to choose the ending I want?

Also, its November. Its going to end soon right? That sucks so bad.

zoku88

Tamanon said:
You need Mediarama and some way to cure Exhaustion, be it Nervundi or Energy Shower. And you need to be able to deal damage as quick as possible.
That's why I used
Teddy
for that one :p

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Error said:

I was going to say that the anime crowd tends to go to the illegal side of things, but it occurred to me that the adult swim crowd could be a different demographic.

FredFish

Tamanon said:

Also it's really really important to have Patra/Me Patra for that fight. Make sure you have Yukiko in your party and at least one Persona in MC's stable with that skill.

Boulayman

Yeah, the illegal side of things is problematic for the ps2. I have quite a few friends in France who call themselves huge persona fans. When I went to the chan to show off my day 1 bought my persona 4 copy (since I think it doesn't even have a release date in Europe date), they told me to shut it since they already had it for a few days, downloaded off the internet through torrent websites. That part is almost understandable if they couldn't handle the wait but what pisses me off is that now they say they have no intention of ever buying the game since they can just play the pirated undub copy. I really don't understand that kind of attitude, all the more when it comes to a small time publisher like Atlus. They make awesome games, support them for Christ's sake !

Yaweee

frostythecat said:
I just beat the
Heaven's
dungeon. I think there may be one or two more dungeons left. Does anyone know what the last good save date would be? That is, on what day do I actually get to choose the ending I want?

It is impossible to save after a branch point, except for the New Game + data (read: don't save New Game + date over a save file). So just save as you would normally as you progress.

Blackjack

frostythecat said:
I just beat the
Heaven's

Also, its November. Its going to end soon right? That sucks so bad.
Just make sure you save on (date spoiler)
December 2nd

jsrv

Boulayman said:
Yeah, the illegal side of things is problematic for the ps2. I have quite a few friends in France who call themselves huge persona fans. When I went to the chan to show off my day 1 bought my persona 4 copy (since I think it doesn't even have a release date in Europe date), they told me to shut it since they already had it for a few days, downloaded off the internet through torrent websites. That part is almost understandable if they couldn't handle the wait but what pisses me off is that now they say they have no intention of ever buying the game since they can just play the pirated undub copy. I really don't understand that kind of attitude, all the more when it comes to a small time publisher like Atlus. They make awesome games, support them for Christ's sake !

They need to start developing main games for the 360/PS3 where pirating is less prominent...

jsrv said:
They need to start developing main games for the 360/PS3 where pirating is less prominent...
And sales numbers about the same.
I would dare say that Persona 3 and 4 are their best selling SMT games so far.

Fuu

Anedoctal evidence aside, do we have any info on how the game is doing in sales? Maybe Nich can throw us a bone here (even if not in solid numbers, a "good, ok or bad" would be nice)?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
some spoilahz !

december 2nd, i let the guy live, i get the bad ending, i throw the guy in, i get the bad ending :( stalling is the only good-way eh .. anywho it was a nice tough to keep nanako dead in the worse-bad ending (where you kill that guy) but when they first killed nanako off i was pretty shocked and saddened because i liked her :( (not in a creepy way).

still after a bunch of tries i finally figured out how to head for the good ending, honestly until they started putting together the clues i could never have suspected someone like adachi to be the bad guy. Took me by surprise. But once you start gathering the clues it becomes pretty obvious.

i have a question though, what happens if you keep guessing the wrong names when the game asks you who you think the real killer is .. the same bad ending ?

i don't wanna end the game the "full" way, because i know im just gonna get sad :(

this game has some of the most charming characters i've ever seen in a video game, much better then the (annoying) cast of P3. Even the mute-hero is a lot more lively and fun-loving guy compared to the last game's.

teddy has pretty much won me over as the best character in the game, and the whole cultural festival segment and the following inn segment were some of the best gaming moments i've had this year (what was that ghostly voice anyway ? the game never got around explaining that. Can someone tell me ?).

edit :

21o8sw3.jpg
:lol :lol :lol

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Two of my favorite moments so far:

-The gang decides a plan
-Chie repeats the plan
-I think to myself "uh, they just said that Chie. I'm not stupid"
-A second later, Yosuke says "We just said that Chie..."

and:

-The gang hides in a horrible obvious spot
-I think to myself "Well thats pretty obvious"
-A second later, Chie says "We're not hidden at all guys"

Smart diologue makes me a happy gamer :D

Blackjack

chandoog said:
teddy has pretty much won me over as the best character in the game, and the whole cultural festival segment and the following inn segment were some of the best gaming moments i've had this year (what was that ghostly voice anyway ? the game never got around explaining that. Can someone tell me ?).l
That was Hanako and Kashiwagi wailing and crying over losing the competition.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Alts said:
Are the anime scenes in the intro movies actually in the game? I have yet to come across any.

they're just there for show :(

i would have loved to see a full rise performance anime-style .. :(

Woohoo, just got my copy + the expansion today from Amazon.ca. Can't wait to play.

expansion ?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
So it's summer vacation and I need to get my Expression stat up to continue the Justice Social Link. But I don't have any books that boost it and I can't do the Sun Social Link since it's summer. And, of course, it's the one stat that the meat bowl challenge can't raise.

Any other quick and dirty ways to up it? I'm getting flashbacks to when my Social Link progress hopelessly derailed in the summer in Persona 3.

NichM

Banned
ixix said:
So it's summer vacation and I need to get my Expression stat up to continue the Justice Social Link. But I don't have any books that boost it and I can't do the Sun Social Link since it's summer. And, of course, it's the one stat that the meat bowl challenge can't raise.

Any other quick and dirty ways to up it? I'm getting flashbacks to when my Social Link progress hopelessly derailed in the summer in Persona 3.

Take the Translation job and do it nights in your room at the work table, it raises expression.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
NichM said:
Take the Translation job and do it nights in your room at the work table, it raises expression.

Now that's customer service!

Thank you muchly.

Shanks

I'm pretty sure it comes in a sleeve but I'm curious. Does the side b of the soundtrack come in a case or a paper sleeve?

Fuu

When
Yukiko
starts laughing without control I always crack up along with
her
. :lol
grandjedi6 said:
Two of my favorite moments so far:

-The gang decides a plan
-Chie repeats the plan
-I think to myself "uh, they just said that Chie. I'm not stupid"
-A second later, Yosuke says "We just said that Chie..."

and:

-The gang hides in a horrible obvious spot
-I think to myself "Well thats pretty obvious"
-A second later, Chie says "We're not hidden at all guys"

Smart diologue makes me a happy gamer :D
Just saw those, I love good stuff like this too.

Top Bottom