• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

Sophia

I think they had the original art on separate layers, since on the "School-Life" page on the English site you can see the Protagonist's art from the cover, but on his own.

And yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I think it looks better with the number on the left side, but I wouldn't expect Atlus USA to go that far with localizing the UI (or even be able to).
It doesn't make a world of difference, and I'd be happy with them just improving the awful current one.

Yeah see, that right there looks perfect.

I do wonder why they're doing it the way they are. Hm...

If you like good cinematography, the anime cutscenes are decent, but the in game cutscenes are miles better. The direction in them is seriously fantastic. Almost every frame is screenshot worthy - which is why it's so damn painful they disabled the share button.

Well, not all hope is lost, at least. Yakzua 0 re-enabled the share features on the US release. We can only hope for the same for Persona 5.

Mediking

Nah, they usually have quick little loading animations between stuff. But they do a lot of cool framing and stuff with the menus which awesome. The battle transitions in and out are decently seamless though.

If you like good cinematography, the anime cutscenes are decent, but the in game cutscenes are miles better. The direction in them is seriously fantastic. Almost every frame is screenshot worthy - which is why it's so damn painful they disabled the share button.

Man, this is very great to hear. I freaking love cinematography in games. Great direction of scenes and seamless transitions from cutscene to gameplay is so cool to me.

I'm looking forward to whatever Persona 5 throws at us.

I'm almost tempted to make a thread about how awesome cinematography is in games....

Nachos

Holy cow is that really the UI they're sticking with? They showed that date counter in their November stream but I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that it was just temporary, but they really seem to be using that. It's terrible, and to make matters worse they stretched the objective markers to cover even more of the screen because they chose such a wide font. Surely Atlus USA have some graphic designers?
The objectives themselves are also just as stiffly written as ever; "Days until Pics Leaked," and "Await the change of heart," seriously? Really starting to fear for the localization now that it's only a short ways off and nothing seems to be improving.
I didn't even notice what the text actually says. "Days until pics leaked" doesn't even make grammatical sense. It's describing an event in the future, yet it's using past tense.

I have no idea what is going on with the UI, though. They clearly have some control over how it looks, since they removed the outline for the 日, but then they go and use Japanese quotation marks.

But yeah, your mock-up looks leagues better. I would've tried using small caps on "PHOTOS LEAK" to see if that'd give the text a slight boost in legibility, and then increase the spacing between the "E" and "A" in "LEAK", but that's literally it.

I mean that tense might make sense? In the small amount of time I spent with my JP copy of Persona 5 it seems like
it's a frame story, the MC is captured and being interrogated and he is asked to recall events. You then play sections and then return to the interrogation room.
This was marketed in a lot of later promos for P5 in Japan but I wanted to tag it just in case someone is completely blind. Weird wording, but potentially makes sense.

Lunar15

I understand the complaints and I don't even disagree with them, but I've been waiting since fucking 2009 for this goddamn game and I just don't even care anymore. The UI could be comic sans and wingdings at this point, just give me the fucking game.

It's actually comical how much of my life has passed and changed in that time.

Even "Days until the pics are leaked" would make more sense. Not as good as that mockup fixyouregrammar did, but that helps with the weird tense issues.

I understand the complaints and I don't even disagree with them, but I've been waiting since fucking 2009 for this goddamn game and I just don't even care anymore. The UI could be comic sans and wingdings at this point, just give me the fucking game.

On the other hand, I'm kinda annoyed that I've waited this long and it seems to be stumbling right before the (English language) finish line.

In the end though, I think a lot of the concerns over the localization will only be a problem for the people who are the most invested in P5. I think the majority either won't notice or won't care. Which is kinda frustrating too.

I'm a little saddened that they seem to be going super literal with the translation, because balancing between literal and liberal is something Atlus is usually good at .-.

Nachos

I mean that tense might make sense? In the small amount of time I spent with my JP copy of Persona 5 it seems like
it's a frame story, the MC is captured and being interrogated and he is asked to recall events. You then play sections and then return to the interrogation room.
This was marketed in a lot of later promos for P5 in Japan but I wanted to tag it just in case someone is completely blind. Weird wording, but potentially makes sense.
I could maybe see that, but it's still weird when all the objectives are phrased as imperatives, which only exist in the present tense.

Even "Days until the pics are leaked" would make more sense. Not as good as that mockup fixyouregrammar did, but that helps with the weird tense issues.

In the end though, I think a lot of the concerns over the localization will only be a problem for the people who are the most invested in P5. I think the majority either won't notice or won't care. Which is kinda frustrating too.
Yeah, that'd work, though it'd still be clunky.

But I do have to wonder about your other point. I'd say the more hardcore anime and manga fans are used to poorly-written translations, just from scanlations and fan subs back in the day. Even the more casual fans put up with that to some degree, because some really stilted writing and inaccurate translations still frequently make their way into Crunchyroll and Funimation subs.

But Persona has managed to reach other niches and demographics who wouldn't think about touching anime or who haven't given Japanese culture much thought. They're not huge groups or anything, but I'm sure the culture shock continues to be mitigated by how well-written the localizations have been. And considering how many mainstream publications have been giving series so much attention through all the delays, I expect those numbers to increase. Those are the people I'm expecting to be most sensitive to everything. Most people don't give graphic design or voice acting or all the other things behind the scenes much thought at all, but things can still feel subtly off to them without their realizing it.

But I do have to wonder about your other point. I'd say the more hardcore anime and manga fans are used to poorly-written translations, just from scanlations and fan subs back in the day. Even the more casual fans put up with that to some degree, because some really stilted writing and inaccurate translations still frequently make their way into Crunchyroll and Funimation subs.

But Persona has managed to reach other niches and demographics who wouldn't think about touching anime or who haven't given Japanese culture much thought. They're not huge groups or anything, but I'm sure the culture shock continues to be mitigated by how well-written the localizations have been. And considering how many mainstream publications have been giving series so much attention through all the delays, I expect those numbers to increase. Those are the people I'm expecting to be most sensitive to everything. Most people don't give graphic design or voice acting or all the other things behind the scenes much thought at all, but things can still feel subtly off to them without their realizing it.

I agree with what you're saying about a good localization lessening the culture shock, and that's a good point to make. I wasn't referring to the people who like anime and manga in general though, I was referring to the people who love Persona games specifically; for example, the ones who might not like most anime or manga but fell in love with P4G. A lot of Persona fans I know love the characters and interactions first and foremost, and stilted dialogue takes away from that. The messy UI takes away from the polish one might expect from the series too.

Yeah see, that right there looks perfect.

I do wonder why they're doing it the way they are. Hm...

Well, not all hope is lost, at least. Yakzua 0 re-enabled the share features on the US release. We can only hope for the same for Persona 5.

Didn't John say there was hope for this? I don't want to put words in his mouth, though.

At any rate, I'd be satisfied with just knowing that atlustube won't be lurking in the shadows waiting hand out takedown notices on YouTube come April 4.

Sophia

Didn't John say there was hope for this? I don't want to put words in his mouth, though.

At any rate, I'd be satisfied with just knowing that atlustube won't be lurking in the shadows waiting hand out takedown notices on YouTube come April 4.

I think he said something to the effect, and he mentioned Yakuza 0 at the same time.

Although I don't know why SEGA slapped the ugliest watermark possible on screenshots, lol... at least you can stream it, unlike the Japanese version.

DNAbro

I don't really understand why companies do this.
I mean I understand having it in the fist few weeks after the game launches to avoid spoilers.
But after that it seems pretty dumb to still have it.

muh spoilers

I was pissed in Kingdom Hearts 0.2 that it blocks it after a certain point. The game gets really pretty and I wanted to take pictures, but nope. Gotta block it.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah basically I'm ok with having a first week to a month block but after that it really should be lifted. Especially because at least anecdotally for me I think I could convince a few friends to get the game after showcasing it per stream(we kind of currently all live in different cities so it's hard to just have them come over to watch a game x_X). And I don't really plan to buy a capture card currently.

Oh well just gotta keep mentioning it. We just managed thanks to AtlusUSA to have dual language parity like many other games have. If the point can get raised enough I'm sure things can change.

4.jpg

:|

http://atlus.com/valentine2017/

I mean I understand having it in the fist few weeks after the game launches to avoid spoilers.

FFXV had it on like, the actor credits sequence and that's it, and to me that was so bizarre because it was literally nowhere else in the game except that one credits sequence.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
FFXV had it on like, the actor credits sequence and that's it, and to me that was so bizarre because it was literally nowhere else in the game except that one credits sequence.

It was for the whole ending sequence actually, and it wouldn't even let you screenshot the title screen after beating the game. Fortunately, the devs actually did exactly what KoroEunectes suggested and in a patch about a month after the game released, they reenabled the share features for those scenes.

Sophia

https://twitter.com/JohnLHardin/status/806869644006952960

He said P5 would probably have the same restrictions as the Japanese one

Just now noticed this. This is very unfortunate. It's only Japanese games that tend to block streaming/sharing options like this.

I really hope we're not being forced with the restrictions because of the Japanese voice acting being included. That would suck.

It's probably some combination of licensing issues and stingy Japanese businessmen who are out of touch with the rest of the world. :p

Has there been a game released in the west with such a prohibitive lock on sharing/streaming for PS4? It's the entire game after you clear the gameplay part of the prologue.

For all of us who have known about this since last September, it's old news. I can't imagine it going well when it hits the casual audience in a couple of months. It's really counter-intuitive to western gaming culture. There's a reason manufacturers are building share features into consoles now.

PK Gaming

Has there been a game released in the west with such a prohibitive lock on sharing/streaming for PS4? It's the entire game after you clear the gameplay part of the prologue.

For all of us who have known about this since last September, it's old news. I can't imagine it going well when it hits the casual audience in a couple of months. It's really counter-intuitive to western gaming culture. There's a reason manufacturers are building share features into consoles now.

"Hey if Japanese players can't share P5 content, we're sure as shit not going to let western players do the same."

-Some angry guy at Atlus, probably

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Just now noticed this. This is very unfortunate. It's only Japanese games that tend to block streaming/sharing options like this.

I really hope we're not being forced with the restrictions because of the Japanese voice acting being included. That would suck.

It's probably some combination of licensing issues and stingy Japanese businessmen who are out of touch with the rest of the world. :p

I doubt that. If that were the case it wouldn't make sense for screenshots to be disabled too, and the prologue is able to be recorded which has a bunch of voice acting in it.
I feel like it's more that they're worried if people can watch the whole game online, they think they might not buy it.

Interesting question from Atlus Japan's survey asking which Persona related games people would be interested in:

Online game,
Board game,
P5 fighting game,
HD remake of Persona 1,
All new Persona 6,
HD remakes of Persona 2,
P3 Dancing game,
HD remake of P3,
PQ sequel,
Added scenario to Persona 5,
Persona series based shooting game,
P5 Dancing game

Honestly, an HD remake of Persona 1 and 2 sounds pretty cool. 2 in particular has such a good story, it's a shame most people won't give it a try due to the gameplay.

bluethree

Persona 6 set in Fukuoka and having a setting that moves away from high school for once just for a change of pace (college maybe?) would be my dream entry in the series.

barybll

Banned
Interesting question from Atlus Japan's survey asking which Persona related games people would be interested in:

Online game,
Board game,
P5 fighting game,
HD remake of Persona 1,
All new Persona 6,
HD remakes of Persona 2,
P3 Dancing game,
HD remake of P3,
PQ sequel,
P5 Dancing game

So it seems like we gonna get a mobage, a card game, Persona 5 Arena and Persona 1 remaster before persona 6

Lynx_7

Persona Stalker Club is scheduled to end in March.

Hashino is really leaving us, isn't he? ;-;

He had a great run. Hopefully this means we can get both exceptional Persona games and new Hashino games in a timely manner.
Or worst case scenario his successor isn't up to snuff and Persona follows Tales of in the path of mediocrity.

And I'm down for P1 and P2 HD remakes. I hope they really mean remakes instead of ports though. I'm also intriguided and scared by the idea of a Persona shooter.

asagami_

Banned
Am I wrong to wish a P2 remake using the Devil Survivor engine? I love the designs from it, especially the demons, and the humans movements are funny (this surprise me a lot in Devil Survivor 2). The battle engine should be based in P2 EP and improve a lot the contact system.

Online game,
Board game,
P5 fighting game,
HD remake of Persona 1,
All new Persona 6,
HD remakes of Persona 2,
P3 Dancing game,
HD remake of P3,
PQ sequel,
P5 Dancing game

I want an online board game where the figures fight each other, in pretty HD models and dance all night if they win, in my Persona 6.

Olengie

Online game,
Board game,
P5 fighting game,
HD remake of Persona 1,
All new Persona 6,
HD remakes of Persona 2,
P3 Dancing game,
HD remake of P3,
PQ sequel,
P5 Dancing game

Everything.

I want Persona 3 Platinum though

Lunar15

Persona Stalker Club is scheduled to end in March.

Hashino is really leaving us, isn't he? ;-;

I'm fine with this, honestly. Persona's been a great series (and might even continue to be great), but Hashino needs to be free of the series to work on new things.

Top Bottom