• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth |OT| -- No Dating, Just Dungeons

Althane

Just got it a few hours ago, completed the first floor a little while ago (I ate dinner and watched some other stuff in between). So far my lineup is:

F:
Minato (P3 Protag)
Akihiko
Mitsuru
B:
Zen
Aigis

I'm sure I'll have to modify the party some, but it's got enough elemental coverage for me right now.

Haven't used Aigis' Orgia mode yet, saving it for a boss. Level 3, just sold off all my mats from 100%'ing Floor 1, got 3k from it. Lookin' for mah upgrades...

Enjoying the music so far too.

Also, good god, the tarot cards are ginormous.

enoki

I just went through the tutorial to the first dungeon, and it reminded me heavily of Madoka Magica.

The 3DS is also a thousand times better looking than the pictures show. I was expecting the blue and silver to look matte, but the shine is great.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
What does the map percentage counter count anyway? You mapping, or you stepping on all the tiles?

If it's the last one, goddamn it. I'll just use that instead of painting for the maps.

Eh. I might pass on it, then. As much as I love Etrian Odyssey, I really can't deal with Demon Pokémon.

"Demon Pokemon" is the whole latchkey of SMT.

So how is the story in this game? Sorry I haven't really been keeping up to date on it, because I knew I might not be able to buy it right away. I've been hesitant to be too hyped for it because I love Persona 4, but not really a fan of Etrian Odyysey, or Persona 3.

man high level persona drops from foes is awesome. running around with level 20+ personas while mc is 7 level 13 is awesome. makes the risk of fighting foes worth it.

TheSeks

Well I'm 100% sure I painted the whole of Floor 1 Dungeon 1 earlier but was only 77% complete or there about.

If it's steps, I'll just avoid doing the drawing outside of putting special stuff on the map. Too pointless then.

stupei

What does the map percentage counter count anyway? You mapping, or you stepping on all the tiles?

If it's the last one, goddamn it. I'll just use that instead of painting for the maps.

"Demon Pokemon" is the whole latchkey of SMT.

Definitely stepping on the tiles, which makes painting them in with the paintbrush sort of pointless. Drawing the walls in is something I tend to find helpful, though.

Although you can use play coins to open the map based chests, if you're missing a few spots.

Well I'm 100% sure I painted the whole of Floor 1 Dungeon 1 earlier but was only 77% complete or there about.

If it's steps, I'll just avoid doing the drawing outside of putting special stuff on the map. Too pointless then.

I'm painting tiles with different colors to avoid that problem.

Or just walk everywhere.

lem0n

P4G was my first and only Persona game. I really liked what I played of it, but I ended up selling my Vita to a friend that broke his. I have missed it ever since. I didn't get too far, but liked what I had played. I now have a 3DS. Should I look into this title? Or is this one that's purely for the fans?

1337Sauce

So how is the story in this game? Sorry I haven't really been keeping up to date on it, because I knew I might not be able to buy it right away. I've been hesitant to be too hyped for it because I love Persona 4, but not really a fan of Etrian Odyysey, or Persona 3.

Would also like to know this. Meant to pick the game up today but decided to finish my remaining school work before I get addicted.

stupei

I've been running with:

Minato/ Junpei (Akihiko) / Mitsuru
Aigis / Zen & Rei

I think I'm about to switch it up to, just to experiment:

Minato / Chie / Yosuke
Yukiko / Zen & Rei

Would also like to know this. Meant to pick the game up today but decided to finish my remaining school work before I get addicted.

You know how sometimes fans of Persona 1 & 2 say that the newer games are too light, fun, and fluffy?

This is about five times that.

Kind of light on actual heavy overall "plot" thus far, but lots and lots of fantastic character moments and little interactions And the gameplay itself is really fun. I'm liking it more than the traditional Etrian Odyssey titles, personally.

Laconic

Banned
As much as I like Z&R, and I like them a lot, I think my favorite party setup now is:

Yu/Yosuke/Chie

Naoto/Yukiko

I love Z&R for their unique skills, but the advantages of dual Personas and the grey life and mana that they provide, is just too good NOT to have on everyone.

spiritfox

Orgia mode kinda sucks. You waste the turn you activate it on, and it lasts only 3 turns. After that, Aigis can't act for 3 turns. Might be useful for finishing off a boss, but otherwise, eh.

ChrisD

automap fills in the walls. the tiles you step on are always mapped.

It's drawing the full thing though, walls included. Maybe I actually have it on, the on/off options are sort of ambiguously colored. Can't tell what's yes and what's no. I'll edit this in a sec if that's it.

Edit: Changed the option, still happening. Maybe it's a first-floor thing? =L

Yasumi

Banned
Got totally wiped by a ridiculously big beetle random encounter on the third floor. Guess I need to grind a bit.

Thoraxes

Turning the game off resets your options.

All of them, including sound.

...Why?
Seems to be common with ATLUS games. SMT IV had this issue as well. I known because I'd reset the game to get a clean loop everytime I did audio rips and would have to readjust the sound options everytime.

At least it's better than nothing though, which was the case with P4G.

I'll try when I get home to be sure on PQ though.

epmode

Seems to be common with ATLUS games. SMT IV had this issue as well. I known because I'd reset the game to get a clean loop everytime I did audio rips and would have to readjust the sound options everytime.

Bugged me too. I can tell you for sure, though, that this game saves your volume options. At least, it only remembers them after loading your save game. If you check the sound after booting up the game but before loading a save, the sound will be set back to defaults.

ChrisD

Aha! Okay so loading the game wasn't taking note of the options from the title screen. I think the config option on the title screen only affects the new game option -- It's not really a game-wide options menu. Changing the option to no auto-map with the in-game config worked immediately. All of the sound options were at 100% (what I had them set to) as well, even though I had them at 80% within the title screen's options.

Pretty wonky stuff haha.

Edit: Or yeah, what epmode said. It saves your options, but doesn't show in options before loading a save.

TheSeks

Is P3MC ok in back?

If you have a Magic using Persona with SP regen skills, I don't see why not. But he's recommended to be in the front.

Also yeah: Was missing a secret area and yes it counts the areas you step in. So lesson learned: No painting for me unless it's doors I pass through. Thereby making a cohesive map.

Really wish the game would just "automap" for me a la Persona 1.

Edit: Oh, there is an auto-map like Persona 1?

OceanBlue

Also yeah: Was missing a secret area and yes it counts the areas you step in. So lesson learned: No painting for me unless it's doors I pass through. Thereby making a cohesive map.

Doesn't the locked treasure chest in each area show you which spots you haven't stepped in? I'm still in the first dungeon, so I don't know if there's a chest in every floor of every dungeon, but that's what I used when I was painting.

TheSeks

Doesn't the locked treasure chest in each area show you which spots you haven't stepped in? I'm still in the first dungeon, so I don't know if there's a chest in every floor of every dungeon, but that's what I used when I was painting.

Yeah, that's how I found the secret area, actually. It "fogs" a big area for where you're missing. The problem is, if you skipped some areas it'll fog a bunch of patchwork areas to where you aren't sure if it's a missing area or not.

I'd rather just auto-map instead of doing the painting since the painting is tedious anyway. I know that's sacrilege to EO fans, but nah. It isn't really that fun. P1/2's automap was so much better.

Yeah, that's how I found the secret area, actually. It "fogs" a big area for where you're missing. The problem is, if you skipped some areas it'll fog a bunch of patchwork areas to where you aren't sure if it's a missing area or not.

I'd rather just auto-map instead of doing the painting since the painting is tedious anyway. I know that's sacrilege to EO fans, but nah. It isn't really that fun. P1/2's automap was so much better.

It's rewarding as hell, watching your fully made maps in some of the craziest dungeons is super amazing. The first levels are easy and usually don't reflect this.

So I disagree, one of the reasons EO is amazing is the map creation and I hope it stays that way forever.

Automap? Thank god in heaven, sorry EO fans, I can't stand that drawing stuff, CAN'T STAND IT.

Maps can be as crazy as Strange Journey as long I don't have to draw anything.

FluxWaveZ

So far, I'm not tired of manual mapping. Feels satisfying, kind of. Though, if auto-mapping accomplishes everything manual mapping does, I might switch eventually, but I'm not at that point yet.

The contextual quips during battles are a nice touch. Mitsuru expressing concern for Akihiko when he was critically wounded, telling him to fall back and Aki going "Yeah, yeah... I know" was pretty great.

Even if you use automap you still have to map stuff like doors, gathering spots, some walls, shortcuts, write down notes, and stairs.

You could ignore all of that but I don't leave a floor without mapping everything perfectly.

epmode

The contextual quips during battles are a nice touch. Mitsuru expressing concern for Akihiko when he was critically wounded, telling him to fall back and Aki going "Yeah, yeah... I know" was pretty great.

I really love this stuff in P3 and P4 so I was glad it see it carry over to PQ.

I'm only on the second floor of the first dungeon but I'm pretty surprised at how much story and voice acting there's been. I expected a barebones Etrian Odyssey reskin. This is pretty close to actual Persona story content. Lots of fun.

Top Bottom