• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth |OT| -- No Dating, Just Dungeons

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
If you dislike Persona because of Social Links, calendar structure, and repetitive randomized dungeons, then know Persona Q doesn't have these elements.

If you dislike Persona because you don't like the characters, dialogue, or persona-fusion mechanics, know Persona Q does incorporate these elements. (Persona Q has a lot of dialogue, even if the story itself is pretty skeletal.)

Battles are round-based, with a focus on elemental advantages similar to Persona.

If a Persona comes with a "Resist Dark" passive skill (as in, it actually occupies a skill slot), it would cancel out the weakness, I believe. I might be wrong though.

Do you know how viable it is going P3MC and risky in terms of finding a resist dark sub? I really wanna do that combo. Or are all the resist dark personas late game or terrible?
I do like Alice a lot, so the faster I can get her the better it seems.

OceanBlue

It's weird how easy I could deal with the talking when I played P4G recently, but with this game I'm getting really impatient pretty quickly. I guess in the end I consider it more of a EO game than a Persona game. Well, also the dialogue has been mostly perfunctory so far.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
been on hold with BB for nearly two hours.

Apparently there was no receipt issued for my $80 cash pre-order. only $5 pre-order charge.

which is odd since I pre-ordered Porject Diva and GTAV for the Xbone all on the same receipt and I currently have both of those games.

The only info about PersonaQ on my account shows a cancellation for my pre-order today and nothing else.

I think the BB clerk I pre-ordered with stole my money...

The employee's name should be on the receipt.

Seda

Do you know how viable it is going P3MC and risky in terms of finding a resist dark sub? I really wanna do that combo. Or are all the resist dark personas late game or terrible?
I do like Alice a lot, so the faster I can get her the better it seems.

I didn't play Risky, but there aren't too many enemies that use Mudo skills. A few in the later dungeons, and a couple of FOEs.

I remember finding a Resist Dark Sub-persona by happenstance sometime in the middle. You can eventually buy an accessory to nullify the weakness too.

I played between Hard and Normal, and I will say my P3MC did fall in battle from time to time. In my case, throwing a revive at him isn't much of a hassle, but RIsky players would definitely need to be more cautious (like throwing him in the back row, perhaps, to focus on magic abilities)

RadioSupreme

Neo Member

Apparently there was no receipt issued for my $80 cash pre-order. only $5 pre-order charge.

which is odd since I pre-ordered Porject Diva and GTAV for the Xbone all on the same receipt and I currently have both of those games.

The only info about PersonaQ on my account shows a cancellation for my pre-order today and nothing else.

Im confused. How was there no receipt issued for the pre-order but you have the receipt for the other games which was on the same receipt. Not trying to be a jerk either just really confused by your wording

MikeDip

I didn't play Risky, but there aren't too many enemies that use Mudo skills. A few in the later dungeons, and a couple of FOEs.

I remember finding a Resist Dark Sub-persona by happenstance sometime in the middle. You can eventually buy an accessory to nullify the weakness too.

I played between Hard and Normal, and I will say my P3MC did fall in battle from time to time. In my case, throwing a revive at him isn't much of a hassle, but RIsky players would definitely need to be more cautious (like throwing him in the back row, perhaps, to focus on magic abilities)

Excellent, thanks! P3 + Risky it is.

I feel much happier about doing P3 and Risky on my first run. Cheers.

joe2187

Banned
Im confused. How was there no receipt issued for the pre-order but you have the receipt for the other games which was on the same receipt. Not trying to be a jerk either just really confused by your wording

Which is confusing me as well. Because now they are telling me when they lookup my pre-order for the other two games it still shows an outstanding balance of a $103.00

I dont have the paper receipt for the pre-order since it was a while ago, but the other pre-orders show in my account, however the PQ pre-order only shows a $5 charge.

I paid in store cash, and it only shows $5 tendered on the receipt, the rest of the $75 I paid in store is not on the receipt.

RadioSupreme

Neo Member

Which is confusing me as well. Because now they are telling me when they lookup my pre-order for the other two games it still shows an outstanding balance of a $103.00

I dont have the paper receipt for the pre-order since it was a while ago, but the other pre-orders show in my account, however the PQ pre-order only shows a $5 charge.

I paid in store cash, and it only shows $5 tendered on the receipt, the rest of the $75 I paid in store is not on the receipt.

If you have a mybestbuy account they could look up all your previous receipts. just have them pull it up and find that specific receipt.

So I got that heal stone in the first map, is that like an infinite healing item or something? I'm scared to use it

Also, any reason not to sell any materials? Also, any reason to keep old crappy equipment, or just sell them whenever I upgrade?

kujcaV5.jpg

picked up the last XL and copy of the game.

So I got that heal stone in the first map, is that like an infinite healing item or something? I'm scared to use it

Also, any reason not to sell any materials? Also, any reason to keep old crappy equipment, or just sell them whenever I upgrade?

It's infinite.

Occasionally materials are needed for quests, but that's pretty rare and they can easily be reobtained. You're best selling everything you don't need.

MikeDip

Just got surprised with the beautiful Q 3ds. Now I just need amazon to ship out my game and I will be set.

Time to transfer everything over to my new 3ds from my old launch one.

Shit. O_O

I pre-ordered this as an impulse off amazon a while back and meant to cancel it yet completely and totally forgot.

It just showed up at my door right now, and I don't even have the heart to return it. Faaaaaak.

(I mistook its charge on my account as another bill.)

Goodbye time. Goodbye wallet.

P3MC is weak to Elec and Dark. P4MC is weak to Wind. P4MC gets better Vit and Str. P3 gets better Mag, Agi, Luc. The dark weakness is probably the biggest knock against the P3MC.

Somebody translated the Japanese wiki here for stats and abilities. Potential spoiler warning..

And I thought P3 Orpheus blew ass with two weaknesses only! lol

Both Chies suck. Original Japanese voice is Yui Horie, and no English voice actress could ever top her.

nasalnasalnasalnasal

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=939244.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

(Club Nintendo code) Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth -- MB-D03BE108D69D5B12 - Taken by ModBot - Taken by Narroo
Can't care about Club Nintendo. Enjoy free-loaders?

Dantis

How is the dialogue? Actually good like the mainline games, or caricature-ish and terrible like the Arena games?

How is the dialogue? Actually good like the mainline games, or caricature-ish and terrible like the Arena games?

Curious about this too.

Also, I know it's a dungeon crawler, but are there bits of story and what not paced throughout the game, or is it a bit at the beginning, and then a whole lot of "go fight shit ad nauseum just because" in a never-ending dungeon?

Gazoinks

It's pretty caricature-ish so far. Chie won't shut up about meat, Kanji is too dumb, etc. That's pretty much what I expected going in though, so I'm not particularly put off.

Curious about this too.

Also, I know it's a dungeon crawler, but are there bits of story and what not paced throughout the game, or is it a bit at the beginning, and then a whole lot of "go fight shit ad nauseum just because" in a never-ending dungeon?

There's actually been ton of dialog (2ish hours) so far. Most of it is more character banter than story, though.

Curious about this too.

It's ok. I'd say it's better than Arena, but it really varies from character to character.

There's not really much story so far, but there are constant scenes with the characters interacting both in and out of dungeons.

GeekyDad

Good intro considering the type of spin-off it is. The set-up works. I like how they implemented the expression bubbles into the text brackets. Nice presentation so far.

Dantis

It's pretty caricature-ish so far. Chie won't shut up about meat, Kanji is too dumb, etc. That's pretty much what I expected going in though, so I'm not particularly put off.

TRULY SHOCKING.

Prepared to fall asleep every time Naoto opens her mouth.

Dantis

I bet you Junpei will be reeeeeally silly!

And watch out for Mitsuru, because she'll be stern!

I actually don't think it will bother me, because PQ feels harmless. It only bothered me in Arena because Atlus pushed it so much as a sequel to P4.

I'm still real hype for PQ.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Do I need to have played P3 and 4 to enjoy this game? The aesthetic and the gameplay appeal to me but is the story non-stop fan-service that I'd be completely lost in?

Narroo

Every EO game has a story, they just aren't narrative heavy ones, I'm a big fan of almost every EO storyline so far.

I haven't played it but Persona Q is going to have to be really good to top EO3 story wise for me. I don't know anything about it but I'm expecting it to be a fanservice game and maybe even pull the lol it was a dream ending, so it migt not even get close.

The game has Aigis, so I know I'll love it no matter what but probably not as much as an EO title.

I don't mind minimalistic stories, like Shadow of The Colossus or Eco. that said, I heard that EO4 has lots of DLC, which I'm a bit against. I want to just buy a game and have it stand alone. Also, I heard the EO1 remake has a spoiler-y story mode?

Dantis

Do I need to have played P3 and 4 to enjoy this game? The aesthetic and the gameplay appeal to me but is the story non-stop fan-service that I'd be completely lost in?

I think people will say no but I think that the real answer will be yes.

Play Persona 3 and 4 either way, because they're two of the best games ever.

I've just started out, but it seems pretty heavy on the P4 stuff (I'm on that side, but I would guess the P3 side is similar for that game) so far. That probably lightens up some once things get further in, but I think having some familiarity with at least one of the games would be a big help.

I don't mind minimalistic stories, like Shadow of The Colossus or Eco. that said, I heard that EO4 has lots of DLC, which I'm a bit against. I want to just buy a game and have it stand alone. Also, I heard the EO1 remake has a spoiler-y story mode?

what?

EO4 has no DLC. Get EO4 if you want to get into the series, and then play the EO1 remake but AVOID Story mode, you won't get spoiled.

When I buy new equipment I can not only immediately equip it, but also have the option to immediately sell the previously equipped item right on the spot? Praise Atlus!

The music and atmosphere is giving me a lot of great Persona 4 nostalgia so far. Enjoying the setup right now. Rei and Zen also seem like decent fun as characters.

Top Bottom