• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth |OT| -- No Dating, Just Dungeons

Ehhh I don't really know about that... I mean Persona 4 Golden had a bit more fanservice and the rating got bumped to 15+ (or whatever C is) in Japan compared to vanilla.
Mara is in Persona Q as well, so why would the rating be 12 in EU and 17 in US compared to Persona 4 vanilla? Swear words in text every one will see and even a kid would get compared to phallic shaped random Personas you may or may not see seems like a bigger reason to me, but what do I know. It's true America is more anti-sexual stuff.

Risky of course.

Persona 4 Golden
NIS America, Inc
The content of this game is suitable for persons aged 16 years and over only.
It contains: Realistic looking violence - Encouragement of the use of alcohol/tobacco

I guess the less realistic artstyle was what made PEGI lower the rating, if they had more trouble with the violence and alcohol than the sexual stuff.

Who are you guys using in your party so far? As always, I'm having a hard time choosing between characters I like and the ones that seem useful. Here's what I have going now:

MC
Kanji
Yosuke

Zen
Yukiko

I'd love to use Chie and Naoto, but neither seem terribly important to rounding out my party. And Teddy has Ice, but I don't like keeping him around.

Who are you guys using in your party so far? As always, I'm having a hard time choosing between characters I like and the ones that seem useful. Here's what I have going now:

MC
Kanji
Yosuke

Zen
Yukiko

I'd love to use Chie and Naoto, but neither seem terribly important to rounding out my party. And Teddy has Ice, but I don't like keeping him around.

Still in the first dungeon and I started with the P3 side so right now:
MC, Mitsuru, Aki
Yukari, Aigis

Not sure who I'll switch out once I get everyone else. Thinking about replacing Yukari with Yukiko.

Ehhh I don't really know about that... I mean Persona 4 Golden had a bit more fanservice and the rating got bumped to 15+ (or whatever C is) in Japan compared to vanilla.
Mara is in Persona Q as well, so why would the rating be 12 in EU and 17 in US compared to Persona 4 vanilla? Swear words in text every one will see and even a kid would get compared to phallic shaped random Personas you may or may not see seems like a bigger reason to me, but what do I know. It's true America is more anti-sexual stuff.

Can't speak on EU for sure, but I always got the impression that EU was less sensitive to sexual themes and more sensitive to violence in video games.

NA just marks almost anything as a mature theme.

antibolo

Banned
Are there any other Canadians here who pre-ordered the 3DS XL Limited Edition model and their EBGames order is still stuck at "Confirmed"?

Seriously getting worried.

Risky of course.

What difficulty level did you chose in Persona 3 & 4? I'd go with something similar in PQ.
The first time I always chose the standard difficulty. Ulterior playthrough are with upped difficulty levels.

Thanks !
I'm afraid to choose a more difficult level as I really hated the unfair difficulty of The Answer in P3FES. But then again, if the core game isn't that difficult to begin with, I should choose that.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Alright, FINALLY got to the first dungeon after getting the story/tutorial out of the way last night. Guess my party at the moment will be:

Front: Kanji & Chie
Back: Yukiko & Rei/Zen

Hoping to start it tonight or tomorrow.

kewlmyc

Wasn't expecting to use Zen and Rei, but on the second floor and they're pretty damn good. Rei's skill that makes the party regain SP is a godsend right now.

Using: P3MC/P4MC/Aigis
Yukai/Rei&Zen

Rei and Zen are starting to feel a little underpowered though, their healing and buff skills are good, but I might swap them out if they don't learn better offensive skills soon.

Yeah, I don't know about Rei/Zen. On the one hand, they have good abilities & high stats, but on the other hand, I can see not having the versatility of being able to use a sub-persona on them to cause them to get relatively weaker as your sub-personas get better & better.

Shikoba

Using:
Front: P4MC, Chie, Yosuke
Back: Naota, Yukiko

Still in the first dungeon. Not sure who I will switch around when I get the P3 cast. I would like Aegis in my team though. And I might switch Yosuke for someone. I don't really plan on using Zen/Rei much. Mainly because there is only 5 slots as it is and too many great characters to pick from that I already know. Reading some of the thoughts on Zen/Rei leave me not too disappointed that I am leaving them out, for now.

kewlmyc

For those not using Zen and Rei, what are you doing about SP usage? I don't really have to worry about it with Rei's SP regen skill. Does any other party member get a similar ability?

For those not using Zen and Rei, what are you doing about SP usage? I don't really have to worry about it with Rei's SP regen skill. Does any other party member get a similar ability?

Between sub-persona temporary SP & boost mode, running out of SP shouldn't be a problem outside of maybe bosses if you're careful (I'm on Risky mode). Also, I wasn't aware that Rei had a party SP regen skill (she does have an early SP regen passive but that's just for her).

kewlmyc

Between sub-persona temporary SP & boost mode, running out of SP shouldn't be a problem outside of maybe bosses if you're careful (I'm on Risky mode). Also, I wasn't aware that Rei had a party SP regen skill (she does have an early SP regen passive but that's just for her).

I might just be confused on how temporary SP works. If you use have a sub persona that has +20 SP and you only use 8 during a battle, will it replenish that 20 SP during the next battle?

I might just be confused on how temporary SP works. If you use have a sub persona that has +20 SP and you only use 8 during a battle, will it replenish that 20 SP during the next battle?

No, it will replenish to +20, it won't restore any of the non temporary SP.

Not being able to fuse Power and Mind charge onto new Personas is annoying me. I feel like I'm stuck with lower level Personas because those skills are so incredibly useful that I don't want to lose them.
Is there a guide yet that shows which Personas give them as skill cards?
(not really a spoiler, but it's a feature that opens up later on, so tagged anyway)

Temporary SP is added to your current SP at the beginning of each battle and any temporary SP that is still left at the end of battle is lost. Basically, if you use less SP in each battle than your sub-persona's SP, you don't lose any of your regular SP.

MC
Kanji
Yosuke

Zen
Yukiko

MC Kanji Teddie
Yukiko Naoto

I'm terrified of when the P3 cast becomes available, it's going to be so hard to pick who to use.

Damn. Decided to pick this up. I wasn't planning on picking up another game this years since I already have hundreds of hours of gaming from these past few weeks but I was worried that physical copies were going to become harder to find.

Oh well, I played through both P3 and P4. I loved them both so I assume I will like this.

Luigi87

Just got the game. Time to start it!

>New Game
>Whose story would you like to experience?

... *shuts 3DS*
These decisions are too hard!!

kewlmyc

Just got the game. Time to start it!

>New Game
>Whose story would you like to experience?

... *shuts 3DS*
These decisions are too hard!!

Just pick what cast you want to spend more time with. It's mostly for the first dungeon party anyway from what I heard.

No, it will replenish to +20, it won't restore any of the non temporary SP.

Temporary SP is added to your current SP at the beginning of each battle and any temporary SP that is still left at the end of battle is lost. Basically, if you use less SP in each battle than your sub-persona's SP, you don't lose any of your regular SP.

Thanks, I'll probably remove Zen and Rei from my party then.

Hylian7

Dumb question as someone who is potentially looking to get this game. Is there still the elements of Persona collecting and fusion? All the stuff I have looked at about this game has shown the characters with their starting personas, including both protags.

Secondly, which protagonist's Persona can change if you can change them? Both?

Shikoba

Dumb question as someone who is potentially looking to get this game. Is there still the elements of Persona collecting and fusion? All the stuff I have looked at about this game has shown the characters with their starting personas, including both protags.

Everyone can use a second persona of your choice. So everyone has their main persona's + one that you fuse and make. This includes the main characters.

Joyful

fusion is in, you get personas as drops from battles

everyone has a secondary persona in addition to their main because plot reasons

All of the characters have a default Persona (including the mains) and a slot for equipping a secondary persona. Unlike other Persona games, the secondary persona is always in play (no battle swapping) & gives you access to its abilities and a pool of temporary HP & SP that is added to your base at the beginning of each battle.

The one exception is the PQ exclusive "character" who doesn't have a secondary persona slot (and instead essentially has two default persona).

Xenoflare

I love DA MAN but seriously his stats are bit ugly, his slow speed is really hampering the flow of the battle.

P4MC obviously has the best stats, (not including Zen). at level 14 all of them are either close or slightly over 20.

P3MC is a lot more magic focused and his weakness to darkness is scaring me for late battles where enemies starts Mudooning.

and seriously what is up with the SP spending in this game, seems like physical skills is the better way to go. 28sp for Agilao? wat.

muteki

Just wrapped up ALBW this morning, only got to the first save point with P4 crew and first dungeon battle.

I'm loving the presentation more than I thought I would but my eyes do not like how they blur the background in dialog scenes.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
WHY CAN'T THEY GO BACK TO THE "WILD CARD" PARTY OF PERSONA 1/2!? *throws game out the window*
Totally didn't do that

Seriously though: I don't think I like this "primary/sub" Persona system. I want to be able to change Personas on Minato at will and be able to "Victory Cry" SP gain my way through the dungeons.

ARGHHHHHH.

I unlocked fusion, and then I was disappointed to see that the fusion system was pretty gimped compared to SMT IV's. I don't want to return to a world without a full fusion search.

Soulflarz

Banned
The treasure chest at the end will highlight in blue the area you missed. Odds are you missed some steps behind FOEs or a secret room.

End of the entire dungeon, or do you just mean that simple chest at the top right of the final room on the floor?

edit: reentered the dungeon, I see it. I went to eat right in front of it and I think i never actually opened it >.>

OceanBlue

Right now my team is:

Front: P4MC, Aigis, Kanji
Back: Naoto, Yukari

Kanji's strength stat is monstrous. I don't know if he'll get as good abilities as the other characters though (I already saw Power Charge on Chie). I might switch him out for Chie. Naoto is soooo good lol. She's almost always the fastest character, and she generally kills one enemy by herself each turn.

Soulflarz

Banned
Right now my team is:

Front: P4MC, Aigis, Kanji
Back: Naoto, Yukari

Kanji's strength stat is monstrous. I don't know if he'll get as good abilities as the other characters though (I already saw Power Charge on Chie). I might switch him out for Chie. Naoto is soooo good lol. She's almost always the fastest character, and she generally kills one enemy by herself each turn.

Y-you mean yukiko? Or do you eventually get the ability to group mix?

So what's the general opinion on Rei? I want to use her because she's the new character but I don't see her in many teams, is it beause she doesn't get the extra SP from a subpersona?

I'm also not sure about having both MCs in my team. So far I'm having no trouble even in hard so I'm not trying to have an optimal team but I'm just being curious about what others think.

Soulflarz

Banned
Oh uh, I kinda assumed I wasn't the first one to mention it. Sorry if you wanted to keep it a surprise. :<

Woot!

Nah, no need to make it a surprise, I'm happy I get them both in one party :p

Actually, I think I knew that awhile ago and then forgot

"Use Play Coins X 156?"

hahahha 156 play coins to get a chest nooo thanks.

SoulUnison

Banned
Oh my god, mapping is the weirdest feature I never knew I wanted.

There's a sense of attachment to slowly moving through an area, making ridiculously detailed layouts and using several colors and styles that all mean something to you and putting Notes on every little thing you find interesting or just to "name" things, then optimizing your auto-route through an area and being able to "see" your progress and revisit the path you took...

This is really cool. I know we'll never get the mapping system, but I hope Team Persona takes some ideas home from working with the Etrian Odyssey guys.

Top Bottom