• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth |OT| -- No Dating, Just Dungeons

Quick Q.

So there's no dating, and that takes care of one Persona dislike, but are demons and demon breeding still part of this?

Eblo

tumblr_nfma5pMmta1qkqf9bo1_1280.jpg

I've been really digging Persona Q so far. The music and atmosphere nail the feel you get when you play a Persona title for the first time, which has been years for me. The gameplay is simultaneously fresh yet familiar. This is what other spinoffs wish they could be. I am really hyped for Persona 5 now.

Thoraxes

When I buy new equipment I can not only immediately equip it, but also have the option to immediately sell the previously equipped item right on the spot? Praise Atlus!

The music and atmosphere is giving me a lot of great Persona 4 nostalgia so far. Enjoying the setup right now. Rei and Zen also seem like decent fun as characters.
The neat thing about the OST that I like is that a majority of the new stuff (stuff that isn't an arrangement of existing P3 and P4 music) wasn't composed by Meguro!

I really dug the OST and glad they did a CD release of the full thing.

Animekatt

I'm really, really liking this game so far. I came in for the Persona side of things, but I already would like to play a full EO game. I love making the map as I go along.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Quick Q.

So there's no dating, and that takes care of one Persona dislike, but are demons and demon breeding still part of this?

Yes, it's on the back of the box about you fusing demons. I haven't reached that part yet as I'm still in the starting areas. But it's locked like P3/4 for a bit.

That said, Safety seems a little too easy. I'm not sure if the later parts will ramp up for it but this starting area I haven't had to worry outside of SP/HP a small bit.

Picked my copy and just started. Went with Risky difficulty, gotta go all-in.

The music is as wonderful as I hoped.

Edit: I just noticed the textboxes have graphics in them that represent the emotion the speaker is conveying. I love those kind of little touches. And of course Junpei wants the leader's new persona to have "big bazongas".

So, I've never yet played any Etrian Odyssey games (they've always been on my to do list eventually, so one of these days I definitely will), but whenever I heard people talking about drawing maps I thought "that sounds like the worst thing imaginable". Turns out I actually love it. Filling in the map is so much fun.

Already I'm having to make some choices in order to afford things. This is definitely an Atlus game. They always keep money pretty tight.

The neat thing about the OST that I like is that a majority of the new stuff (stuff that isn't an arrangement of existing P3 and P4 music) wasn't composed by Meguro!

I really dug the OST and glad they did a CD release of the full thing.

Yeah, I haven't heard too much of the soundtrack just yet, but I'm really digging all the new pieces I've heard so far. It's very nice music, and definitely up to the standards of the main games.

And of course Junpei wants the leader's new persona to have "big bazongas".

This is even more amusing, since we know in the FeMC universe that even if this is the case, he isn't actually interested :p

Also, they changed Naoto's voice actress. Fuck this game, headed back to the store.

spiritfox

Yes, it's on the back of the box about you fusing demons. I haven't reached that part yet as I'm still in the starting areas. But it's locked like P3/4 for a bit.

That said, Safety seems a little too easy. I'm not sure if the later parts will ramp up for it but this starting area I haven't had to worry outside of SP/HP a small bit.

You ARE playing on baby mode :p

Normal is easy enough unless this is your first Persona/SMT game.

2Shea

Loving this game so far, it has that perfect persona feel. I haven't always been the biggest fan of EO, but this definitely works. This soundtrack will be on repeat for a loooong time.

Also, they changed Naoto's voice actress. Fuck this game, headed back to the store.

Yeah sadly her voice actress has been different since P4U, and the P4 anime. It takes some getting used to, but the new one isn't horrible.

Xenoflare

I need halp

How do I manage the 3 FOEs with 3 rose pots before the stairs to the 4th floor in the first dungeon?

Sakura

I need halp

How do I manage the 3 FOEs with 3 rose pots before the stairs to the 4th floor in the first dungeon?

If I remember correctly, if you paint one, the one closest to it will move to it. So paint them in such a way, that the only one left to move towards a further away one, is the FOE at the top.
Sorry that's not much help I'm too lazy to turn on my 3DS to check.

It's early, but hard mode seems like just the right kind of challenge for me.

Yeah sadly her voice actress has been different since P4U, and the P4 anime. It takes some getting used to, but the new one isn't horrible.

Yeah, it's okay. The only one of the new voices which is really terrible is Chie's. I'll never accept fake Chie.

Xenoflare

If I remember correctly, if you paint one, the one closest to it will move to it. So paint them in such a way, that the only one left to move towards a further away one, is the FOE at the top.
Sorry that's not much help I'm too lazy to turn on my 3DS to check.

I got the hang of it, I just need to figure out how

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You ARE playing on baby mode :p

Normal is easy enough unless this is your first Persona/SMT game.

Well, I've never played EO before. Which is why I started on Safety.

Boost is doing my head in on "all out attacks." It's not like P3/4 where you do weakness stumbles. The stumbles here seem random and All Outs seem random as well. :/

Hikami

My game finally got here, its already 8pm x_x
So excited though! Going to be up quite a while playing this..

Pretty obvious which side I'm picking :p
My skin finally has a purpose. :lol

spiritfox

Well, I've never played EO before. Which is why I started on Safety.

Boost is doing my head in on "all out attacks." It's not like P3/4 where you do weakness stumbles. The stumbles here seem random and All Outs seem random as well. :/

Downs are a random chance every time you (or the enemy!) hits a weakness, and all-outs are a random chance when more than 50% of your party is boosted. Not sure about the individual extra attacks though...

Xenoflare

It's been a while since I did that dungeon, but I think you have to wash a rose in such a way to get the far FOE to move away from the door?

I can only mix up the left and right FOE

I am stuck once I do that.

I can only mix up the left and right FOE

I am stuck once I do that.

Wait until either the left or right FOE is closer to the bush at the top than the top FOE, then clean it. Once one of those two is painting that bush then you can clean the other two and the FOE at the top will move.

Started on P4 side. Man, they absolutely nailed the Persona feeling here, which is great. I'm only around an hour in, but I know I'm going to love this. Here's hoping that this will also lead to me going through the two 3DS Etrian Odysseys sitting unloved on my shelf.

Something I noticed completely at random: you know the Persona Q logo with Teddie and Koromaru that shows up when you select the game in the 3DS homescreen? IT REACTS TO SOUNDS. Try tapping the 3DS mic or listening to really bass-heavy music.

Also OH GOD WHICH SIDE DO I PLAY FIRST

FluxWaveZ

Something I noticed completely at random: you know the Persona Q logo with Teddie and Koromaru that shows up when you select the game in the 3DS homescreen? IT REACTS TO SOUNDS. Try tapping the 3DS mic or listening to really bass-heavy music.

Haven't realized that before, but now I see that it seems to be a common thing for those 3D homescreen models to spin as a reaction to sound from the mic.

Thoraxes

Also OH GOD WHICH SIDE DO I PLAY FIRST
You can blow into the mic too.

Also movement spins it too. It used to spin like crazy when I was concert touring a few years back.

Amazon managed to not screw up my CE preorder this time, huzzah.
I will never forgive them for screwing me out of the Bravely Default CE. They ended up giving me like 90 bucks for the trouble and I was still mad as hell.

Xenoflare

Will benched (low lv) peeps get exp scaling towards their favor when playing? IIRC the protags level is the deciding factor for p3 p4

MSMrRound

Will benched (low lv) peeps get exp scaling towards their favor when playing? IIRC the protags level is the deciding factor for p3 p4

Not that I know of. Only way for them to gain exp when not on your active party is to complete requests (everyone earns the exp), or chuck a Growth 1 (or higher) item on them.

D-Man

Decided to start the game with the P3 side and I'm about three hours in or so. The music is fantastic, the voices are great as always, and the battles are pretty fun. I'm really happy that this game is a thing.

My favorite thing so far is Akihiko and Shinji's interactions. The whole
protein argument
on floor two of the first labyrinth had me in stitches.

Xenoflare

The fact that the
protag that is the opposite of your choice of story mode is voiced makes me loath the silent protag thing even more.

Khrno

Getting it on Friday, so no P3 female MC? /sadface

Will still start with P3 Hero, can't stand the P4 dude after playing the game twice (multiple playthroughs on each) and watching two different (basically the same) animes.

Oh god, that scene in the second floor of the dungeon (P4 side) where
they're all butchering the story of Alice in Wonderland
was downright hilarious. I got some great laughs out of that. This game is really doing a good job of evoking the feel of Persona 4 while not feeling like it's treading over the same ground too much (there are certainly some repeated gags, but at least so far they feel like endearing character traits rather than things which have been run into the ground).

Game's cool and all but how do you get back to the map when you accidentally tap the help button?

This took me probably a solid two minutes to figure out. You press the blue area, but it's about the least clear thing in any game ever.

Eh. I might pass on it, then. As much as I love Etrian Odyssey, I really can't deal with Demon Pokémon.

Top Bottom