• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth |OT| -- No Dating, Just Dungeons

Oh my god, mapping is the weirdest feature I never knew I wanted.

There's a sense of attachment to slowly moving through an area, making ridiculously detailed layouts and using several colors and styles that all mean something to you and putting Notes on every little thing you find interesting or just to "name" things, then optimizing your auto-route through an area and being able to "see" your progress and revisit the path you took...

This is really cool. I know we'll never get the mapping system, but I hope Team Persona takes some ideas home from working with the Etrian Odyssey guys.

This guy gets it.

So what's the general opinion on Rei? I want to use her because she's the new character but I don't see her in many teams, is it beause she doesn't get the extra SP from a subpersona?

Advantage: Good stats, useful abilities, has a long-range weapon. Disadvantages: No sub-persona. I've been using him/her and though probably not optimal for the ultimate team, they're certainly not a liability. But yeah, if you want to use Rei, use Rei.

I'm also not sure about having both MCs in my team. So far I'm having no trouble even in hard so I'm not trying to have an optimal team but I'm just being curious about what others think.

There's a rather important side-quest that requires both MCs to be above a certain LV. So even if you don't use both all the time, you'll want to LV up the other MC at some point.

SoulUnison

Banned
And the way the bottom screen is almost always in play so you never feel like there's any downtime.

"Oh, I got interrupted by a weak enemy, but I'll just let the team handle it on Rush while I'm still mapping on the bottom screen."

"Oh, there's a minor cutscene happening, but it's cool because I can finish filling in these last few notes, anyway."

*Stereotypical Italian finger kissing gesture*

It's beautiful and makes Pokemon feel clunky.

GeekyDad

Love when a game turns out better than expected. Love Persona, love EO, but the combination is better than I anticipated. It still, surprisingly, feels very much like a Persona experience. And the banter between Yukitan and Stupei is still hilariously cute.

Wilsongt

Just made it to floor 3....

....and fuck the beetles. Easy to mitigate damage after 1 turn but damn that two hit combo.

Luigi87

And after that you have to NAME them.
I shut down at the next step, where they ask you to name both of them. Still undecided on what to put.

Naming was easy for me, I just went with the anime/movie names!
... Well, sort of... Not enough characters to write Narukami...

I chose the P4 protag, because I strongly prefer the P4 cast.

I've never played an Etrian game before, but I'm noticing that there is something weirdly satisfying about drawing in your own map...

Rutger

Banned
This is really cool. I know we'll never get the mapping system, but I hope Team Persona takes some ideas home from working with the Etrian Odyssey guys.

Yeah, I can't imagine mapping will ever find itself in Persona, though at least having notes would be nice if they go back to non-randomized dungeons.

Speaking of ideas I want the Persona team to take from PQ, I hope sub Personas are here to stay. I like the idea of the customization that comes with letting everyone change their Persona in the earlier games, but I'm not a fan of how it takes away from the character's identity and they all start to blend together in combat. I'm getting the best of both worlds in this game.

Having interesting dungeons for once is nice too, I really hope the Persona team is looking at what the EO team does with dungeons.

I knew some people would like the EO mapping, hopefully some of you give EO a chance when you're done with PQ.

I can't wait to get home and continue with PQ, I'm actually enjoying the game a lot more than I thought I would, the subpersona stuff is pretty cool. I'm just conflicted about what team to use atm, but hearing that both MCs are important for a sidequest means I'll be using both for a while.

Curufinwe

My wife is playing it now. She watched me play all the other P3 and P4 games, and now it's my turn to follow along.

The six character limit for names is lame.

OceanBlue

So do I never need medicine again if I have that one item?

I still carry around medicine in case I need to do two heals in one turn and don't want to spend MP or if I want to heal in the dungeon.

I have such a hard time with bosses lol. I need to stock up on tons of healing items just so I don't run out of MP.

FluxWaveZ

Quoting myself from Persona community thread:
Yes! Beat my first F.O.E. on hard mode, on floor 2 with my level 6-7 team (only Zen/Rei were level 6). Thought we weren't going to make it for a sec and I was about to face my first genuine party wipeout, but the MVPs Makoto (Twin Slash), Zen/Rei (Bane Slice and Boosted Recovery) and Yukari (Healing Stone) pulled through. RIP Akihiko and Mitsuru who perished about halfway through the battle.
I had run out of revival beads. If I had been smarter at the start and used Boost state for healing/defense rather than trying to get more damage off, Mitsuru and Akihiko probably would have survived. I was thinking of swapping Zen/Rei out, but now I'm not so sure anymore. Bane Slash was landing a crit. about 70-80% of the time during that battle.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Woah. The second floor of the first dungeon: THE TRUE ETERIAN PERSONA STARTS HERE.

Akihiko got killed because I haven't used meds until now and never used the Fuuka healing spell either. Whoops?

spiritfox

Labyrinth progress is the only thing you don't lose, can be overwritten after party wipe out. Its experience and items which get lost.

I meant stuff like shortcuts and chests and items. You only save map data after a defeat, which I rather not since it messes up my perception of where I have been before.

Fandangox

I meant stuff like shorcuts and chests and items. You only save map data after a defeat, which I rather not since it messes up my perception of where I have been before.

Well I don't see how that can be a problem, if you are putting icons for treasures and shortcuts they should let you know if they have been open or activated, its a lot easier to find them that way.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Hate to break it to you but it'll go up per level~

Wait, per floor? Or per Minato/Seta's level? I was thinking it was per use which was "holy shit, no."

Not that it's a big deal since I've been selling things and swimming in some money. I guess I should probably buff my equipment before reaching continuing. Finally unlocked Fusions and thankfully, the Compendium is here so I can start to pull some max level Personas back out to fuse again.

Wait, per floor? Or per Minato/Seta's level? I was thinking it was per use which was "holy shit, no."

Not that it's a big deal since I've been selling things and swimming in some money. I guess I should probably buff my equipment before reaching continuing. Finally unlocked Fusions and thankfully, the Compendium is here so I can start to pull some max level Personas back out to fuse again.

Per main character level, it seems to be level x 100

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
*clears first floor of 1st dungeon* "Heh, imagine if there was a twist where
Rei & Zen were actually personas themselves since they can't summon them
, that'd be interesting"

*cutscene plays that strongly implies this*

Well damn, surprised I called that. Anyways, I feel like I'm ALMOST getting into the game. I'm thinking it should "click" after another floor or clearing the first dungeon. Least I can use different personas now.

Wait, where's the sub-persona that I downloaded? I don't see it. Do I have to "buy" it or something?

Ugh, when is Elizabeth going to stop charging so much to heal? Went from 100 to 300 to 700.
It's not so bad. You get a decent amount of money from running Power Spots and fighting monsters to deal with it. The sub-persona system and Boost Mode let you go pretty far without wasting your own SP.
Wait, where's the sub-persona that I downloaded? I don't see it. Do I have to "buy" it or something?

Play further. You can't access it until you get access to Persona fusions and the Compendium.

PK Gaming

I assassinated a FOE on the 3rd floor of the first dungeon, and got my hands on this bad boy.

2014%2B-%2B1

robotrock

Banned
Did they keep the same voice actors for the Persona 3 cast? If so, I'd totally pick the Persona 3 path over the Persona 4 path.

FluxWaveZ

Did they keep the same voice actors for the Persona 3 cast? If so, I'd totally pick the Persona 3 path over the Persona 4 path.

Fuuka has a different voice. Ken's might be different, but there's no confirmation on that and he sounds similar enough. Everyone else is the same.

At the end of the first dungeon
Pretty sure they don't start at lvl 1 but I don't use them so I don't remember 100%.

They come at level 12, so around what your party should be at that point anyway.

Most of the P3 cast have their original voices, but you interact with everyone regardless of which path you pick, so you'll hear everyone anyway.

Top Bottom