• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth |OT| -- No Dating, Just Dungeons

Xenoflare

This. Though I don't like being limited to the "main" featured Persona of the cast. I want to be able to change them ALL. D:

I said this a million times in the community OT but I really hope P5 adopts this method of personas, but this would probably mean that S.links are going to be revamped to an extreme degree.

Just tried to take on a FOE for the first time. After about five turns I finally turned and ran with my tail between my legs.

This. Though I don't like being limited to the "main" featured Persona of the cast. I want to be able to change them ALL. D:

Yeah, I'd prefer a P2 style system where you could change everyone's Persona at will. This sub-persona system seems like it could introduce neat combinations, but it also imposes a lot of limits on what you can do.

Teknoman

I hate it (not really) when I like every party member possible. I can never fully decide on what I want my party to be. Really liking the conversations mid battle though.

Being a new Persona game, im going to have to figure out how to force myself to stop and play Pokemon OR too lol.

Fandangox

What level do you suggest for Boss of First Dungeon on Hard? I am 8-9, only attempted it once, Boss didn't hit pretty hard, but once my SP died it all went (very slowly) downhill.

OceanBlue

What level do you suggest for Boss of First Dungeon on Hard? I am 8-9, only attempted it once, Boss didn't hit pretty hard, but once my SP died it all went (very slowly) downhill.

I think I was level 12 on Hard. I couldn't figure out how to last without running out of SP either and I couldn't beat it until I grinded out Media on one of my personas.

OceanBlue

I see, 12 it is then. I already have the media skill card you get from
the third floor's black chest
just not sure who to give it to :/

I hadn't used it yet at that point either. I wanted to save it until I had a more solid idea about who I was using.

Xenoflare

I like new Theo, to be honest if Travis Willingham wasn't Theo in the first place I'm totally fine with it,
his squishy personality suits his new voice too

Though I'll be missing Travis of course.....

arue

Finally meet with the P4 crew! I love the scene when they do the poses.

I can't believe Margaret is the one who told them to do the poses.

Atlas157

I finally started the second dungeon, I'm loving the game so far.

Is it necessary to use everyone? Can I just go through the game with one team?

Hobbun

Oh wow, a Persona Etrian Odyssey-like game, how did I miss this? Definitely will be picking this up!

How much does this draw from P3 and P4?

If you haven't played P4, and played this game, will there be spoilers for you? Or is it better to play P4, first?

Ourobolus

Banned
Fuck it, went P3 Risky.

Made it to the 3rd floor, am Level 6, and finally defeated an FOE. Wasn't too bad, but I basically abused Leader Skills and Rei/Zen's Recovery Skill every time they got a boost from a crit. Front row spent the fight hoping for crits on physical attacks, with Yukari on Heal Stone/Dia/Tarunda duty.

Front: MC, Akihiko, Shinjiro
Back: Yukari, Zen/Rei

Having a blast so far. Other than a quick test run at Level 3 to see how bad the FOEs were, I haven't died yet. Though picking up the
sword and then being attacked by 5 swords gave me a scare. Super-defensive that fight, but made it out alive.
Now to wipe out the rest of these FOEs.

Kensuke

I also just made to the third floor on risky. Having a blast. Drawing maps is great.

One question, can I check Persona skills somewhere? I want to know what they'll learn. I tried to Google it, but there doesn't seem to be a tool for Persona Q yet.

Atlas157

Oh wow, a Persona Etrian Odyssey-like game, how did I miss this? Definitely will be picking this up!

How much does this draw from P3 and P4?

If you haven't played P4, and played this game, will there be spoilers for you? Or is it better to play P4, first?

Play P4 first. There aren't big spoilers but I think you'll enjoy the game more if you play P4 to get to know the characters.

If you want, you can play P4 up to October 30th in game, then start and finish PQ, then continue P4.

Omikaru

PAL copy from Rice Digital complete with tarot cards arrived today. First time I've used them and I'm super impressed!

B3dA45sIgAAMRBl.jpg:large

Sadly, I've gotta do some work before I get stuck in. Going to be a painful few hours. :(

Kensuke

Any impressions on Aigis? Her defensive skills seem good for a risky playthrough (which is what I'm doing).

Finally unlocked the P3 crew after 6.5 hours. Party choices are so hard now! D:

I know right? Not sure what to go with. Right now I have:

F: P4MC/Kanji/Yosuke
B: Yukiko/Z&R

Might go with:

F: P4MC/Kanji
B: Mitsuru/Aigis/Z&R

spiritfox

I also just made to the third floor on risky. Having a blast. Drawing maps is great.

One question, can I check Persona skills somewhere? I want to know what they'll learn. I tried to Google it, but there doesn't seem to be a tool for Persona Q yet.

For the main Personas? Gamefaqs has a list of skills they learn (which is not a lot) here (minor spoilers). For the subs? Nothing in English yet.

I'm really frustrated that there's no easy way to move the map data with the game from system to system... I prefer using my 2DS at home but wanted to use my launch day Ambassador 3DS when I'm travelling to work because of the added portability (I can drop it in the breast pocket in my suit). The limit of three save data slots on the cart is fine but I can't transfer the memory card from one 3DS to another; the data's set up so a 3DS can only see the game data written to it by that particular system.... Without the maps, I'm reduced to retracing old stomps just to grind on my commute, because I don't want to explore new areas that I'll have to redo at home... it's a piss-off...

^I only have one 3DS but aren't the maps saved to the SD Card? Would you be able to just swap SD cards?
Any impressions on Aigis? Her defensive skills seem good for a risky playthrough (which is what I'm doing).

Aigis is excellent so far. Her high defense has made her a permanent addition to my party. She actually works very well in the front row too, probably better than the back honestly.

I'm having a hard time narrowing down a team as well. Right now I'm doing:
Aigis Mitsuru P4MC
Yukiko P3MC

But I'm thinking about moving Mitsuru to the back and replacing Yukiko with Kanji and putting him up front. Phys skills seem really strong in this game so I'm torn between Aki and Kanji right now.

I figure the sub-persona system means I can just make Mitsuru my dedicated healer. P3MC is a good mage too so he's fine in the back.

spiritfox

I have this party right now:

P4MC Chie Aigis
Yukiko Naoto

Naoto is so good at clearing random mobs right now, though I'm not sure if she'll be as useful later on. I'm kinda disappointed at Chie though, other than Power Charge, she doesn't hit as hard as I would like. Maybe thinking of replacing her with Akihiko or Kanji.

I beat it at LV10 on Risky, but I had to use an SP item mid-way. It was definitely close near the end (most characters were out of SP). Rei/Zen's Curse attack has a good success rate on the boss & I used elemental moves to get rid of her reinforcements in 1 turn (if there are any reinforcements at the end of the turn, the boss uses more powerful abilities).

Naoto is so good at clearing random mobs right now, though I'm not sure if she'll be as useful later on.

From what I've heard, a lot of people consider Naoto to be the best character in the game.

^I only have one 3DS but aren't the maps saved to the SD Card? Would you be able to just swap SD cards?

Nope... that doesn't work... If you just swap SD cards, the new system can't recognize the maps drawn by the preceding system and starts generating it's own... put the SD card from system 2 back into system 1, and the only map you see is what had been explored and saved on system 1 prior to putting the SD card in system 2... I even tried digging up some files and copying them from one SD card to the other (using file date/time) and what it told me is the files are corrupt... you can see they're saved in folders with different "gibberish" names on the two cards - I think the folder names are derived from the system's MAC address or something; there's some kind of encryption going on here binding the data to a specific system....

Semajer

I'm expecting my copy tomorrow. Does this game make use of Streetpass? If so, what is it and when does it activate?

Am I fucked sans Bufu in the first dungeon? None of the starting sub-Personas have it, and I don't like using Teddy (my front row is stacked with characters I love!). When will I be able to fill this gap?

edit: And what's up with that Magic Box on the first floor of the first dungeon? Do I stand to gain anything by waiting until I can put a different item in it?

spiritfox

Stupidly warped back after beating an optional mark but didn't check the void behind. Went back, and it respawned >.<

It was a pretty hard battle. Guess I'll do it later again...

Balb

So can it be said yet whether the crossover aspect is interesting from a character interaction standpoint? Or does it feel like fanfiction?

kewlmyc

I know it's not necessary in order to succeed the request but for the trading competition request
Is it actually possible to get the Jumbo Parfait? Yosuke and Kanji always seem to finish it after the first trade.

Escalario

Banned
Are there moments in P3 story where I am forced to use some P4 characters and viceversa? Because screw grinding so many characters...

PK Gaming

I know it's not necessary in order to succeed the request but for the trading competition request
Is it actually possible to get the Jumbo Parfait? Yosuke and Kanji always seem to finish it after the first trade.

Yeah.
Once they finish, the prize they get is a coupon for another Jumbo Parfait.Provided you secured a drink from either Fuuka or Ken, and given it to them, you should obtain it

Aeana

Are there moments in P3 story where I am forced to use some P4 characters and viceversa? Because screw grinding so many characters...

The experience curve in the game seems to be logarithmic, so that paired with the fact that you can equip leveled sub-personas on characters who aren't leveled should make catching any particular character up pretty painless.

Nope... that doesn't work... If you just swap SD cards, the new system can't recognize the maps drawn by the preceding system and starts generating it's own... put the SD card from system 2 back into system 1, and the only map you see is what had been explored and saved on system 1 prior to putting the SD card in system 2... I even tried digging up some files and copying them from one SD card to the other (using file date/time) and what it told me is the files are corrupt... you can see they're saved in folders with different "gibberish" names on the two cards - I think the folder names are derived from the system's MAC address or something; there's some kind of encryption going on here binding the data to a specific system....
Ah, that's a shame :(
Nothing serious, but just being safe:
AFAIK no. But apparently you'll want to use both of the Main Characters for a sidequest or something much later on so it seems like a good idea to keep the P4MC with you.

Chorazin

Ok, I'm stuck on You In Wonderland's
Level Three FOE ending puzzle, with the three guards and the roses. I just can't figure out how to get past them. I'm no good at these puzzles. :(

EDIT: Got it! Whew.

Soulflarz

Banned
Ok, I'm stuck on You In Wonderland's
Level Three FOE ending puzzle, with the three guards and the roses. I just can't figure out how to get past them. I'm no good at these puzzles. :(
Oh thats a puzzle? It was 2am, I saw the room, said screw this, went to sleep :p

Kensuke

Changed Yosuke for Naoto a few hours ago. So glad I did. Hama and Mudo are very useful in this game and Naoto is pretty speedy as well. I'd recommend her for any team. My team right now:

F: P4MC/Kanji
B: Yukiko/Naoto/Z&R

I'm pretty sure I'll go with this after I get the other party members:

F: P4MC/Kanji/Aigis
B: P3MC/Naoto

Dimmle

Hey, big P3/4 fan who hasn't been following the prerelease hype of Q too closely with a question:

Is there any typical Atlus incentive to buy the physical copy of the game? Just realized this was out and the temptation to download and dive right in is strong.

Soulflarz

Banned
Is EXP divided by those in the battle? Orr nope.

Hey, big P3/4 fan who hasn't been following the prerelease hype of Q too closely with a question:

Is there any typical Atlus incentive to buy the physical copy of the game? Just realized this was out and the temptation to download and dive right in is strong.
Half a tarot card set.

I'm still annoyed that I have to order Ultimax from Rice Digital if I want the full set of tarot cards in Europe. I don't even care about the cards, I'm annoyed that I could order Persona Q from anywhere and get half a set. Now all I have will be half a set...

The OST is 4 tracks, the 3DS case is meh, and honestly it's not worth it.

The only good thing is the sexy box, but that's not worth 30 bucks.

Top Bottom