• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth |OT| -- No Dating, Just Dungeons

Astarte

Finally meet with the P4 crew! I love the scene when they do the poses.

I can't believe Margaret is the one who told them to do the poses.

I never knew Margaret was a JoJo fan. I mean, they even got Josuke's pose down.

I'm really feeling the game though after I turned off the battle animations. Mapping in this game is so...easy. I feel spoiled

BearChair

I didn't see this covered yet, but can someone explain to me how the Navi skills work, like the ones that point out shortcuts on the map or add extra harvesting opportunities.

Are they just passive skills or do I have to activate them somehow?

Soulflarz

Banned
I didn't see this covered yet, but can someone explain to me how the Navi skills work, like the ones that point out shortcuts on the map or add extra harvesting opportunities.

Equip them to your navigator I believe

https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/538014418693787649 For anyone in Europe buying digitally, looks like it should be available for preloading now. I didn't realise that was even possible on the 3DS yet.

Dungeon related ones should be equipped to whoever the dungeon navigator is, they should all be passive skills.

Seda

Apparently there's a pretty important request (that I missed) you can do if you get both MCs to level 55. I kept P4MC out of the party, so I might decide to continue playing to catch him up.

So either make sure both MCs gets some battle time or throw a Growth accessory on one.

Soulflarz

Banned
Apparently there's a pretty important request (that I missed) you can do if you get both MCs to level 55. I kept P4MC out of the party, so I might decide to continue playing to catch him up.

So either make sure both MCs gets some battle time or throw a Growth accessory on one.

Wait, when do you unlock sidequests? Are they missable and such?

Seda

Wait, when do you unlock sidequests? Are they missable and such?

Sometime after the first dungeon, offered by Liz in the nurse's office. Some requests have "time limits" and are marked appropriately. I don't really know how the cutoffs work as I did these as soon as I got them.

KarmaCow

Got a few questions.

The battles seem extremely slow and I have the speed up to fastest. The problem mostly just seems to be time in between attacks, it takes a while for the next person to go. Even going into auto attack/Rush mode it seems like it takes a long time between attacks. Is there any way to speed up animations even further like in EO?

I was looking through the manual and there seems to be school stuff. How important are the out of labyrinth stuff in terms of gear and skills? Are they mostly for character interaction or will I miss something gameplay related by skipping them?

What governs when an All Out attack or follow up will trigger exactly? Is it based on how many people are boosted in your party or by the enemies' state? I assume there is some randomness to it.

epmode

The battles seem extremely slow and I have the speed up to fastest. The problem mostly just seems to be time in between attacks, it takes a while for the next person to go. Even going into auto attack/Rush mode it seems like it takes a long time between attacks. Is there any way to speed up animations even further like in EO?

Yeah, it's significantly slower than all of the Etrian Odyssey games I've played, even when going full auto. Not a dealbreaker but definitely not as smooth as Etrian Odyssey or even other SMT games.

BTW, this game needs to get off the 3DS. This screen resolution is killing me. There's a great looking game under there!

Soulflarz

Banned
Yeah, it's significantly slower than all of the Etrian Odyssey games I've played, even when going full auto. Not a dealbreaker but definitely not as smooth as Etrian Odyssey or even other SMT games.

BTW, this game needs to get off the 3DS. This screen resolution is killing me. There's a great looking game under there!

B-but...mapping!

KarmaCow

Like in the EO games, the environments are just way too detailed and busy for the resolution of the handheld. It just makes things farther than a couple blocks away look like pixelated barf.

Other than that and the slower battle speed, I'm liking the marriage between EO and Persona. It's so far sidestepped the early game issue in EO where you have so few options while also not being a complete pushover either. Of course, like SMT once your know enemy weakness the game get significantly easier but the enemies are still a drain on resources.

arue

You know the room with
the 3 card soldiers?

I was overleveled at that time and just said screw this and beat all 3 FOEs in that room. (Don't follow my example).

I was playing on Hard but then switched to Normal before beating the FOEs by the way.

I've spent like, two hours today just staring at the party select screen because it's so hard to decide who to use. For now, I've settled on P4 Hero, Kanji, Junpei, Naoto and Yukari.

Not using Koromaru, Shinji or Teddie is killing me though.

Golbez

Loving the game so far! Finally got the full cast. Does the number of Persona you can have at once ever get higher than 14? I've been cycling the cast around to keep the levels even. I've had different Persona on each character before this but now I have 19 people to give them to. Is this the point where I should focus on a smaller amount of Persona and just keeping bringing them into battle?

epmode

B-but...mapping!

I can live without it. The dungeons are great with or without having to stop every three steps to draw some lines and move icons around.

Like in the EO games, the environments are just way too detailed and busy for the resolution of the handheld. It just makes things farther than a couple blocks away look like pixelated barf.

Right? And it's not just the environment. Character models appear to have some subtle texturework that's completely lost at that resolution.

I can live without it. The dungeons are great with or without having to stop every three steps to draw some lines and move icons around.

Right? And it's not just the environment. Character models appear to have some subtle texturework that's completely lost at that resolution.

You monster.

I agree about the resoultion stuff.

Loving the game so far! Finally got the full cast. Does the number of Persona you can have at once ever get higher than 14? I've been cycling the cast around to keep the levels even. I've had different Persona on each character before this but now I have 19 people to give them to. Is this the point where I should focus on a smaller amount of Persona and just keeping bringing them into battle?

IIRC it stays at 14

It's driving me nuts :'(

Darksol

Absolutely love this game. My one niggle is that the characters often call a power spot a "P-Spot", which is the term for the prostate gland that can be stimulated in men :eek:

Dimmle

Just started PQ up. Damn, this game looks nice! I'm going to be disappointed if the step-up in presentation doesn't translate to P5.

KingSlime

Sorry if this has been asked before, but can anyone tell me whether there are Persona 4 spoilers in this game? I am a big Persona 3 fan, but I've tried a couple times to start Persona 4, and for whatever reason, petered out. Persona Q has caught my eye (being portable), but I want to one day go back to P4, and I was just wondering if PQ has any serious spoilers for it.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but can anyone tell me whether there are Persona 4 spoilers in this game? I am a big Persona 3 fan, but I've tried a couple times to start Persona 4, and for whatever reason, petered out. Persona Q has caught my eye (being portable), but I want to one day go back to P4, and I was just wondering if PQ has any serious spoilers for it.

Not major ones. It'll spoil who the party members are, though.

KingSlime

Not major ones. It'll spoil who the party members are, though.

Thanks for the answer. I think I know all the party characters already, so I'm not worried about that so much. I was moreso just concerned with finding out any major story twists (such as
who the killer is
) in P4.

It's pretty much SMTIV' StreetPass feature, if you're familiar with that. You can select a sub-Persona you own to represent your customizable player card, which other players can then use on their end.

Thanks.

I'm so glad I started with the P3 protagonist in this. Worth it for Junpei and Yukari's banter alone.

Looks like I gotta go hard then risky so I can do both. I don't wanna miss Moranji or Stupei.

One of the reasons why I went with the P4 side is that I'm much more interested in seeing how the P3 protagonist acts. I've seen plenty of Narukami in the anime and Arena games already, so it's interesting seeing his counterpart speak.

Yeah at some point I should probably replay the game for the P3 stuff. P4 protag is so good though lol. I guess I'll end up using both next time.

Any word on if there is maybe some extra stuff that's for second playthrough only, like fighting margaret on the second playthrough of Persona 4? Additional incentives beyond enjoying the other cast members would be pretty cool.

Omikaru

One of the reasons why I went with the P4 side is that I'm much more interested in seeing how the P3 protagonist acts. I've seen plenty of Narukami in the anime and Arena games already, so it's interesting seeing his counterpart speak.

That and the battle music (I prefer the P4 version) are the only reasons I really regret going with the P3 protagonist.

But I fully plan on replaying this anyway, so it's no big deal. I'll catch the other side sometime next year.

Fandangox

I threw a growth to the P3 MC because the thread kept mentioning this. Does anyone know what the cutoff point of availability for this quest is?

Soulflarz

Banned
That and the battle music (I prefer the P4 version) are the only reasons I really regret going with the P3 protagonist.

But I fully plan on replaying this anyway, so it's no big deal. I'll catch the other side sometime next year.

I thought opposite though, and presumed "oh be 3 to see 3" and not the illogical way :'(

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Damn it, fell for a trap & had to fight 5 of those sword arm guys. Wasted my first turn thinking I could escape, but couldn't. I won, but with two or three of my party members down. It REALLY annoys me when games decides "nah, despite fighting 90% of the battle, they get zilch EXP cuz their HP's 0" which then ruins the balance of my party members leveling up equally. I HAVE AN EXACT SYSTEM WHEN IT COMES TO RPGs, DAMN IT!!

Soulflarz

Banned
Damn it, fell for a trap & had to fight 5 of those sword arm guys. Wasted my first turn thinking I could escape, but couldn't. I won, but with two or three of my party members down. It REALLY annoys me when games decides "nah, despite fighting 90% of the battle, they get zilch EXP cuz their HP's 0" which then ruins the balance of my party members leveling up equally. I HAVE AN EXACT SYSTEM WHEN IT COMES TO RPGs, DAMN IT!!

OCD strikes again >.>

Seda

I threw a growth to the P3 MC because the thread kept mentioning this. Does anyone know what the cutoff point of availability for this quest is?

There is none, I did it today actually, and I've already beaten the game. I just had to get P4MC caught up.

Top Bottom