• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth |OT| -- No Dating, Just Dungeons

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Geez, this third floor of the first dungeon is LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG and dangerous. I think it's time to fuse some Personae together, but I'm trying to max the ones I have for the sake of the compendium.

That fucking Beetle is deadly compared to P4

Gazoinks

Geez, this third floor of the first dungeon is LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG and dangerous. I think it's time to fuse some Personae together, but I'm trying to max the ones I have for the sake of the compendium.

That fucking Beetle is deadly compared to P4

It is, though the plentiful shortcuts back ease it up a bit. This game seems a bit friendlier about that kind of thing compared to what I played of EO4.

And third dungeon down. Mostly spoiler free thoughts:
That one had some annoying puzzles towards the end, I can see a lot of people having trouble with one in particular.

It really bumped up the combat challenge too. I'd only had one game over before this point, but the shadows with the corrosion skills got me a few times, especially when paired with the ones that block damage.

The boss seemed fairly tame compared to a couple of the earlier optional ones, but still a fun fight, or I might have been slightly overleveled after a lot of running around trying to solve the final few puzzles, I still need to go back for a quest that I need to complete to 100% map the final floor.

Dialogue wise the "haha, you're pretending not to be scared but you actually are" got old after a short while.

Overall, a pretty decent dungeon though, especially visually; It wouldn't have felt out of place in a pure horror game like Corpse Party. I liked how the FOE mechanics were tied into the dungeon's theme too, this game seems to be doing a lot more unique things with them than the Etrian games that I've played.

I think Atlus went slightly too far with the puzzles at the end though, unless there was a giveaway clue that I overlooked.

Golbez

Does anyone know if the Swordbreaker skill can be carried over through fusion? I got one from Valkyrie but I'd like to fuse it into a better Persona. I checked every normal fusion possibility and none of them could inherit Swordbreaker.

Xenoflare

Second dungeon..
do i have to walk on traps for 100%

Yes, but there is an item (something sandals) that would prevent floor damage.

Does anyone know if the Swordbreaker skill can be carried over through fusion? I got one from Valkyrie but I'd like to fuse it into a better Persona. I checked every normal fusion possibility and none of them could inherit Swordbreaker.
I had this exact issue. It seems like it cannot be carried over.....

That puzzle at the end of the third floor of the first dungeon is really annoying, especially because if you get stuck on the right side of the room you have to go back through half the dungeon again. It's really annoying. I finally got through it, but that took way too much time.

It seems like some skills can't be carried over via fusion. Someone mentioned that Power Charge was unable to be transferred as well. I noticed I couldn't fuse Runic Shield (or whatever it's called) onto another Persona either.

Xenoflare

That one had some annoying puzzles towards the end, I can see a lot of people having trouble with one in particular.

It really bumped up the combat challenge too. I'd only had one game over before this point, but the shadows with the corrosion skills got me a few times, especially when paired with the ones that block damage.

The boss seemed fairly tame compared to a couple of the earlier optional ones, but still a fun fight, or I might have been slightly overleveled after a lot of running around trying to solve the final few puzzles, I still need to go back for a quest that I need to complete to 100% map the final floor.

Dialogue wise the "haha, you're pretending not to be scared but you actually are" got old after a short while.

Can you give a few hints on
what kind of puzzles are there? Not a huge fan of them here haha

Golbez

That puzzle at the end of the third floor of the first dungeon is really annoying, especially because if you get stuck on the right side of the room you have to go back through half the dungeon again. It's really annoying. I finally got through it, but that took way too much time.

That one has shortcuts back on both sides though!

Can you give a few hints on
what kind of puzzles are there? Not a huge fan of them here haha

You have to walk through some doors in a certain order, but the clues as to the order are incredibly obtuse, and there's a few absurd logical jumps you have to make to get from the clues to the solution. It tells you the answer if you get stuck on it for long enough though. Most of the other more challenging puzzles are tied to optional quests.

It seems like some skills can't be carried over via fusion. Someone mentioned that Power Charge was unable to be transferred as well. I noticed I couldn't fuse Runic Shield (or whatever it's called) onto another Persona either.

It seems to be the skills that you'd most want to transfer over that you can't.

Overall, a pretty decent dungeon though, especially visually; It wouldn't have felt out of place in a pure horror game like Corpse Party. I liked how the FOE mechanics were tied into the dungeon's theme too, this game seems to be doing a lot more unique things with them than the Etrian games that I've played.

I think Atlus went slightly too far with the puzzles at the end though, unless there was a giveaway clue that I overlooked.

I really love how the game incorporates avoiding FOEs into puzzles you have to clear the dungeon. Something that it does better than in Etrian. And the third dungeon reminded me that Atlus can probably do
horror really well. Those fucking doll FOEs...

Can't be carried over. There's a LOT of good skills the game won't allow you to inherit, including the elemental high booster skills.

Gazoinks

Question: Does weapon damage affect the damage of your physical skills? Want to figure out if the Onusa Sword is worth using.

Xenoflare

Question: Does weapon damage affect the damage of your physical skills? Want to figure out if the Onusa Sword is worth using.

IIRC in most SMT games physical skills is tied to your strength, weapon damage is tied to strength and the weapon.

I use status ailment weapons mostly, I have a 1 damage Aigis weapon that inflict agility bind pretty frequently.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah I think I walked in a circle on the floor and what do you know a door worked now

There was a whole scene with dialogue about how that door was unlocked. Did you skip through it?

Edit: Oh wait, sorry, you're saying that you were missing the spot to initiate that scene, I'm guessing.

Soulflarz

Banned
There was a whole scene with dialogue about how that door was unlocked. Did you skip through it?

Edit: Oh wait, sorry, you're saying that you were missing the spot to initiate that scene, I'm guessing.

I-its possible I'm watching one piece and that dialogue didnt seem too relevant so when i clicked A too fast I missed a line or two throughout the scene. Whoops.
Oh, wait. Yeah no, I was just being an idiot and didnt reclick the door :p didnt miss that

Haven't got the game yet, and I don't think anyone's asked this yet... do the benched party members gain experience? At the same rate or lower rate compared to the active party? I like switching around parties to keep things fresh.

Soulflarz

Banned
Haven't got the game yet, and I don't think anyone's asked this yet... do the benched party members gain experience? At the same rate or lower rate compared to the active party? I like switching around parties to keep things fresh.

No, an item gives them 25% though.

Aeana

I didn't realize you could share personas via QR code until Nich tweeted this:

B3gLmL6CcAA4oOi.jpg

https://twitter.com/nichronomicon/status/538192906209595392

I haven't seen anyone using this feature until now, so maybe people besides me didn't know about it. In the streetpass area of the velvet room, you can create QR codes to share, and scan them as well.

No, but there is an accessory you can equip on one of them to give them a percentage of experience. Not sure if you can get more of those later.

I haven't seen anyone using this feature until now, so maybe people besides me didn't know about it. In the streetpass area of the velvet room, you can create QR codes to share, and scan them as well.

ive been waiting for people to share. i dont know why people havent.

its in the velvet room streetpass section. kind of buried but i assume this was added for western release so no dedicated submenu and the qr persona is shared with streetpass so it makes sense.

Wait. Is this like the codes in Strange Journey where it essentially enables access to everyone who participates's demons Personas for relatively little cost?

Xenoflare

I hate that it replaced Agi with the medium damage version
I dont have 30mp to waste a turn.

It shows that this game is extremely physical skill oriented, SP recovery items are scarce and Fuuka's HP regen skill clearly favors a physical setup.

A personal pet peeve of me (in this and P4G's magician's upgrade) is that debuff skills gets upgraded to their Ma- counterparts, I pretty much only debuff during big party vs one big boss fights, meaning that I'm using more SP for the same thing. I loved SMT mainlines (IV for example) for the fact that all -kaja and -kuda skills are party based, even luster candy (heat riser) and debilitate

Soulflarz

Banned
It shows that this game is extremely physical skill oriented, SP recovery items are scarce and Fuuka's HP regen skill clearly favors a physical setup.

A personal pet peeve of me (in this and P4G's magician's upgrade) is that debuff skills gets upgraded to their Ma- counterparts, I pretty much only debuff during big party vs one big boss fights, meaning that I'm using more SP for the same thing. I loved SMT mainlines (IV for example) for the fact that all -kaja and -kuda skills are party based, even luster candy (heat riser) and debilitate

Which is funny because I'm going to stick with magic :p
But yeah, these traps are leaving me with no MP

Xenoflare

Which is funny because I'm going to stick with magic :p
But yeah, these traps are leaving me with no MP

I stopped trying, I only use SP skills during boosts or healing/buff/debuffs. Burn 28sp for 150 damage or 60 ish damage for the same with a 40-50 recovery every turn if I have the resources? (Which is one support point). WELL.

//ARCANUM

So I've been swapping out party members, trying to evenly level them up just as I would in persona 3 or 4. That's what I should be doing in persona Q right?

FluxWaveZ

So I've been swapping out party members, trying to evenly level them up just as I would in persona 3 or 4. That's what I should be doing in persona Q right?

That's not how I played P3 or P4, and that's not how I'm going to play PQ, at least for my first playthrough. I don't think there's any "right" way to play.

Xenoflare

That's not how I play, but I think you would have an advantage when it comes to fusion since your protag's level is high due to the fact that he is a must for the teams.

Gazoinks

I don't really see the point of doing it unless you actually plan on using every party member equally. Makes more sense to find one party you like and stick with it, imo, save tons of time and money, especially with this many characters.

I'm just sticking with a fixed party, I'll change it up if I do a second playthrough, but with 17 characters, Ieveling them all just seems tedious, although one fixed party is how I play most JRPGs anyway.

Xenoflare

I'm just sticking with a fixed party, I'll change it up if I do a second playthrough, but with 17 characters, Ieveling them all just seems tedious, although one fixed party is how I play most JRPGs anyway.

The fact that the p4 protag is 6 levels under my party level is just making me feel frustrated.

The boss at the end of the first dungeon got tense for me. I ran out of SP for pretty much everyone (which meant no more buffs), and I was running low on healing items. But Kanji managed to pull through with his physical skills and eke out a close victory (I couldn't have lasted two more rounds).

I'll just say, the scene just before that boss fight, with
The Persona 3 cast all showing up and Mass Destruction playing
was such an amazing and hyped up moment.

So are you guys levelling up all skills for your personas before fusing?

Usually, yeah. Maybe not if it means waiting just for them to get some crappy skill when they already fuse into a really good Persona, but I usually prefer to level them out the first time.

Top Bottom