• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth |OT| -- No Dating, Just Dungeons

Xenoflare

Ok after 24 hours playing PQ I feel so burnt out. Started
floor 3 of ghost dungeon just unlocked skill card extraction.

And since I bought both PQ and Poke AS, I have to say I expected more from ORAS, for some reason it just doesn't feel as lively is X/Y, but it seems like I'm in the minority.

I need a break, time to Vita.

Soulflarz

Banned
Ok after 24 hours playing PQ I feel so burnt out. Started
floor 3 of ghost dungeon just unlocked skill card extraction.

And since I bought both PQ and Poke AS, I have to say I expected more from ORAS, for some reason it just doesn't feel as lively is X/Y, but it seems like I'm in the minority.

I need a break, time to Vita.

I think youre burnt out because you played so much in such a little time :p
Might be games in general?

Xenoflare

I think youre burnt out because you played so much in such a little time :p
Might be games in general?

It's just that the 3rd dungeon is a really, really
bitchy when it comes to puzzles

and PQ is topping my record of most time spent on a game. 24 hours in 4 days wow.

What am I doing with my life.

Soulflarz

Banned
It's just that the 3rd dungeon is a really, really
bitchy when it comes to puzzles

and PQ is topping my record of most time spent on a game. 24 hours in 4 days wow.

What am I doing with my life.

Psh, Ive done...
er I dont know. I did 999 in two sittings, that was in under 24 hours irl time. Ive definently done more >.>

spiritfox

Is it just me or does chie kinda suck

She's decent, and gets Power Charge on her main Persona, so you don't have to hunt for a sub that gets that. But she lacks skills to use, so put a sub with good physical skills on her all the time. Also, she has perhaps the worst SP gain, so you can't actually use Power Charge unless you can constantly get boosts on her, which is not as hard as it sounds.

Xenoflare

She's decent, and gets Power Charge on her main Persona, so you don't have to hunt for a sub that gets that. But she lacks skills to use, so put a sub with good physical skills on her all the time. Also, she has perhaps the worst SP gain, so you can't actually use Power Charge unless you can constantly get boosts on her, which is not as hard as it sounds.

Power Charge's SP cost really discourages use outside of boosts.

Soulflarz

Banned

I give aigis priority for the good skills though because lets be honest, shes more useful compared to chie :p

spiritfox

So (2nd Labyrinth)
who did everyone get in the end? I got Yosuke. I'm disappointed, but should have expected after I picked "slugging it out on the riverbed". The dialogue was so worth it though, especially with Yosuke playing straight man.

I liking the dialogue in this game better now compared to in the 1st labyrinth. Maybe it's because there's more people now, so the flanderization is not as obvious compared to then.

Xenoflare

So (2nd Labyrinth)
who did everyone get in the end? I got Yosuke. I'm disappointed, but should have expected after I picked "slugging it out on the riverbed". The dialogue was so worth it though, especially with Yosuke playing straight man.

I liking the dialogue in this game better now compared to in the 1st labyrinth. Maybe it's because there's more people now, so the flanderization is not as obvious compared to then.

I got
Junpei, I remember cracking up when I saw the Japanese screenshot of it and when I see it with my own eyes on my 3ds I just lost it.

I guess my follow up question is: how do I unlock the electric door? I've unlocked the two doors requiring Darkness Keys, and Akihiko says that I have all three pages of the algebra puzzle.

It should unlock by itself after you
complete the puzzle with Rei in the dark room. You need to head up the stairs to the far left to get to it.

Lusankya

So right in the beginning Margaret told me that enemies can drop special loot under certain circumstances (like killing them while hitting them with an aelement they resist/null/repel). Does every enemy have such a special loot and can you see it in the enepedia once obtained?

Zareka

Well my copy arrived from ShopTo today, but the tarot cards are nowhere to be seen. Not a big deal but still kind of annoying considering they were advertised with it.

Edit: And by "not a big deal" I mean I'm going to be on at them all day because I'm not putting up with this incompetency.

Edit 2: Quick question, how do I get a move that binds agility? I need it for that side quest.

In fact, how do I get moves that bind anything? Do characters just learn them as they level up?

Kensuke

Well my copy arrived from ShopTo today, but the tarot cards are nowhere to be seen. Not a big deal but still kind of annoying considering they were advertised with it.

Edit: And by "not a big deal" I mean I'm going to be on at them all day because I'm not putting up with this incompetency.

Edit 2: Quick question, how do I get a move that binds agility? I need it for that side quest.

In fact, how do I get moves that bind anything? Do characters just learn them as they level up?

You can find a weapon for Teddy that agility binds in a chest on the first floor of the second dungeon. That's how I did it.

Kensuke

I've been rocking this formation for a while:

P4MC/Kanji/Aigis
Naoto/P3MC

I feel almost unbeatable with it. Aigis is an amazing tank that shields everyone with swordbreaker. After giving her media with a card she can also heal if needed. Naoto and P3MC clean up from the back with Mudo/Hama and heal with media. P4MC and Kanji kill tougher enemies with link skills. You really don't need a dedicated healer.

Ooooh, I might already have it in that case, unless it came from the
clear the entire floor
chest. Thanks!

It's not from clearing out the entire floor, I think it was a chest behind some spikes though.

Second dungeon question:
So do you need to step on all the spiky things too for the 100% floor completion?

Yes,
but you can buy an item to walk through the spikes safely.

3rd Labyrinth is 2spoopy4me. It's like they took Hall of Darkness and cranked the spooky factor up to 11.

I remember my first encounter with
the doll FOEs. I have a habit of strafing so I don't miss out on secret passages when exploring dungeons, so the first time the FOE indicator appeared next to me I turned to look at it and thought "damn, creepy dolls." Later on I was just rushing through it and happened to run into it head-on. The way it makes its entrance is TERRIFYING, and its animation when you engage it in battle even more so!
I'd love to see Atlus turn up the spooky a little for P5. Catherine gives me confidence in them doing horror.

So right in the beginning Margaret told me that enemies can drop special loot under certain circumstances (like killing them while hitting them with an aelement they resist/null/repel). Does every enemy have such a special loot and can you see it in the enepedia once obtained?

Not all enemies have it, but I think there's always a ??? in the third slot of their drop list when they have special conditions for drops.

Just checking the add on contents can only be downloaded once you get to certain points in the game right? Saw on the eShop one of the persona was free but can't find where to download there and in game the add on content menu just checks for updates.

spiritfox

Just checking the add on contents can only be downloaded once you get to certain points in the game right? Saw on the eShop one of the persona was free but can't find where to download there and in game the add on content menu just checks for updates.

Check the Add-ons on the main menu. You'll be able to see all the DLCs there. The free Persona is only available after you open the compendium, but you can get the DLC whenever.

Check the Add-ons on the main menu. You'll be able to see all the DLCs there. The free Persona is only available after you open the compendium, but you can get the DLC whenever.

Ah thanks, now for the hours to go flying by, maybe XD probs get killed a bunch.
Edit:
Don't think so. I downloaded the free content before I even started my game. It just wasn't available in-game until a certain point.
Ah wasn't able to find it on the eShop, will continue and the compendium and try downloading it then.

GeekyDad

Don't think so. I downloaded the free content before I even started my game. It just wasn't available in-game until a certain point.

Well so far I'm mostly enjoying the game because its the Persona characters, if it didnt have those then I probably wouldnt last too much longer. Im hoping I just have to give the Etrian style dungeons and mechanics a bit longer to get used to them but first impressions from the first level of the dungeon have not been great.

Semajer

Has anyone with a PAL copy been able to access the DLC? I've tried, but it just goes to a loading screen for a while and then returns to the title screen.

Pbae

Went into the game blind and loving it so far.

Picked P4MC to start and thought it was like Pokemon where the P3MC was your rival or something. Named him PENIS FACE.

Just reset after I cleared the first boss...

MSMrRound

Game's all nice and fun till you find yourself facing a whole bunch of those wind corrosion/magarula shadows.

Urgh. It's such a pain encountering them.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So considering I have the funds to buy better weapons & armor for the characters I haven't used it (Yosuke, Naoto which I've heard on here is a great party member to use, & Teddie), would it be wise to take them to the 3rd floor of the first dungeon to get them leveled up/test them out, or should I go back to the 2nd floor to be safe?

Totakeke

3rd labyrinth. Actually they gave me my first game over during harvesting power spots. I was hit by two of them with enemy advantage and I got greedy trying to take them down when my team was half dead after the first round. :x

Soulflarz

Banned
So considering I have the funds to buy better weapons & armor for the characters I haven't used it (Yosuke, Naoto which I've heard on here is a great party member to use, & Teddie), would it be wise to take them to the 3rd floor of the first dungeon to get them leveled up/test them out, or should I go back to the 2nd floor to be safe?

I wouldnt suggest taking everyone to the same level, youll be here a LOT longer than if you just have a set team.

Setsu00

Has anyone with a PAL copy been able to access the DLC? I've tried, but it just goes to a loading screen for a while and then returns to the title screen.

I'm having the same issue. It's too bad since I wanted to create a Kaguya with many, many Navi skills ;-;

Ourobolus

Banned
So I think I'm swapping:

Front: P3MC / Akihiko / Shinjiro
Back: Yukari / Rei/Zen

to

Front: P4MC / Akihiko / Kanji
Back: P3MC / Naoto

Seem good? I've got plenty of healing with subpersonas.

I hope this will be my entry drug into the Etrian Odyssey series (already own 4 and the first on the DS...but would rather play Untold 1).

So many good 3DS games after the dry summer >:D !

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I wouldnt suggest taking everyone to the same level, youll be here a LOT longer than if you just have a set team.
So maybe just one new character at a time while keeping 4/5th of my party? I like having everyone in my party be as close to the same level as possible on the grounds I fear something among the lines of "OH NOES, THE GROUP SPLIT UP & NOW YOU GOTTA USE THESE CHARACTERS" will happen.

muteki

Coming from P3P/P4 a few things about the battle system annoy me (some of which are probably ignorance on my part, to EO or this game in particular):

-conditions for AOA seem random or otherwise unclear.
-hitting an enemy with a weakness does not "knock them down" consistently a la P3/P4. If it does knock them down, they tend to get back up the same turn.
-the buff you get for hitting with a weakness is easily lost by enemies attacking.
-the encounter rate...is almost too low?

I'm only 3 floors in, and like P3/P4 there was a period early on where I didn't have many spells available to me and things were slow, so hopefully I grow out of it in time.

I am in love with drawing the map though. Too much, I think. And Rei is hilarious. More games need corndogs.

Soulflarz

Banned
So maybe just one new character at a time while keeping 4/5th of my party? I like having everyone in my party be as close to the same level as possible on the grounds I fear something among the lines of "OH NOES, THE GROUP SPLIT UP & NOW YOU GOTTA USE THESE CHARACTERS" will happen.

Dont worry about that, I doubt itll happen :p If it does I'll warn you when I get there I guess. But yeah, It's not worth wasting hours keeping everyone even.

Nimby

Banned
I fucking hate the way buffs work in P3 and P4 and now PQ. So much better in SMT, rather I probably have just become used to it.

I was legit surprised when Tarukaja only worked on one person.

Top Bottom