• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth |OT| -- No Dating, Just Dungeons

First Dungeon and First Boss complete.

The third floor was ruining me for a while when the RNG hating me. Had one encounter where the enemies had the advantage, immediately dropped my MC's defense and focused fired on him, killing before I had a chance to do anything. This of course happened right after solving the last puzzle and preparing to head to the next floor.
The rose and bunny chase puzzles were fun. I made the last one more difficult by not realizing right any that once there is only one rose bush left, the last FOE will head towards it no matter how far away it was.
The characters interaction is great, and brings back fond memories of playing persona 3/4 for the first time. The 'drink me' bottle scene was great, as was the discussion about cuteness on the third floor.
I managed to beat the boss on my first try. After reading some post in this topic and seeing people beating the boss with double digit levels and hard, I thought my level 9 risky attempt would be a trial run.
I had MC, Mitsuru, Akihiko in front and Yukari and Aigis in the back. I had Aigis use the aggro with defense boost skill to the boss attacking the back row, minimizing the damage from Mow Down. I cast Takunda and Sukunda to also help minimize damage. I didn't have rakunda to help with my damage. Kept Fuuka regen skill up the entire time as well.
I had MC, and Akihiko, Aigis and Yukari use physical skills, while Mitsuru used a normal attack.
When I got critical boosts, I would use them to extend the dubuffs, unless the cards were summoned summon, then I got free elemental attacks on them. The MC having Magaru really helped with defeating the cards. Also managed to get a couple All-Out Attacks during the battle.
Everyone's SP, except for Yukari's, was drained by the end of the battle. Mitsuru was probably the dead weight of the party, with physical skills, and buff/debuff abilities.

The other team's entrance right before the boss fight was nice as well.

Gazoinks

So... I'm thinking the idea behind (Dungeon 1 Floor 3)
getting past the three FOE's with the three rosebushes is to paint the top one and then the side ones? The top one generally will have the top FOE painting it, which blocks the damn stairs and me being able to get off this floor to the fourth.

Am I correct or overlooking something?

You're correct, you just have to time it right.
You have to wait until one of the side FOEs is closer to the top bush than the top FOE. Then you can proceed to paint the side bushes (make sure not to box yourself in like I did the first time).

The fourth dungeon is getting pretty brutal, just done a quest where
I had to fight 5 waves of shadows in a row, took me a few attempts due to enemies spamming ailments.
. I feel like I'm warping out to heal a lot more often now.

Same thing for me. Maybe another one of those "Euro/Aus-exclusive" bugs ? :(

I guess they've forgotten to put it up, that sounds like what happened with my copy when I tried to access it before the official release date. Has anyone with a Euro copy managed to get the DLC?

Laconic

Banned
I realize that the first boss would be doable, with multi hit elemental spells, but I cannot find a single damned one, that is not on a level 13+ Persona.

It is severely pissing me off, in a way that EO never has.

I'm level 12 on Hard, and cannot even come close to besting her.

P4 characters Yu, Yosuke, Chie, Naoto, Yukiko.

No EO game made me want to lay it down, and say "Fuck it", and forget it. But I am about to drop this game and not look back.

Xenoflare

I realize that the first boss would be doable, with multi hit elemental spells, but I cannot find a single damned one, that is not on a level 13+ Persona.

No EO game made me want to lay it down, and say "Fuck it", and forget it. But I am about to drop this game and not look back.

Lower your difficulty?

Xenoflare

Exactly. I don't mean to come across as rude, but I honeslty don't understand players who complain a game is too hard when they choose to play hard mode. This is my first EO game and Normal has been quite fair / enjoyable.

Yep, if you are clearly not enjoying it, why not change it?

Laconic

Banned
Lower your difficulty?

It feels bad enough not going Risky. The only reason I did not, is because of the whole Persona mechanic of MC dead = game over, which is basically an extra layer of frustration on top of EO being EO.

I really want play on Hard or Risky, or not at all.

I do not mind hard. Beating the EOs was hard. This is just plain not fun.

Xenoflare

It feels bad enough not going Risky. The only reason I did not, is because of the whole Persona mechanic of MC dead = game over, which is basically an extra layer of frustration on top of EO being EO.

I really want play on Hard or Risky, or not at all.

I do not mind hard. Beating the EOs was hard. This is just plain not fun.

MC death=game over is a harder difficulty exclusive thing.

Speaking of the main character dying resulting in game over, thank god that this game doesn't have that. My main character just got killed on the same turn that I finished off
Elizabeth
in the 2nd labyrinth by Hamaon, it was probably a 15 minute fight if not a bit more.

Xenoflare

Speaking of the main character dying resulting in game over, thank god that this game doesn't have that. My main character just got killed on the same turn that I finished off
Elizabeth
in the 2nd labyrinth by Hamaon, it was probably a 15 minute fight if not a bit more.

Nope, this is a thing if you are playing on hard or risky.

spiritfox

Doesn't Yukiko get Maragi pretty early? I already had it when I fought the boss, and I was around 10.

Laconic

Banned
Doesn't Yukiko get Maragi pretty early? I already had it when I fought the boss, and I was around 10.

Yes.

She is the only one.

I do not clear the Card Enemies in one round, with only it and the other guys' attacks, and so The Queen guts my crew with multi-hit spells.

kewlmyc

If I liked the world of P4 but hated the dungeons, will I like this game?

Yes. These dungeons are actually dungeons, not empty corridors. You have moving floors, puzzles to solve involving moving around super powerful enemies, and floors that sap away your SP if you step on them. Clearing one floor can easily take over 2 hours.

Yes. These dungeons are actually dungeons, not empty corridors. You have moving floors, puzzles to solve involving moving around super powerful enemies, and floors that sap away your SP if you step on them. Clearing one floor can easily take over 2 hours.

Can you save mid floor at all? EO newby.

kewlmyc

Can you save mid floor at all? EO newby.

You have a one time only save that gets delete the moment you load it.

Saving isn't that big a deal since items that you let you leave the dungeon are the cheapest items in the game. Also you can reenter a dungeon from latest floor you've been to and there are several shortcuts in the floors.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
At level 8 the boss of the first dungeon kick my ass. I'm playing on hard.

I'm gonna scour the levels, upgrade gear, get some new personas... and try again.

ramyeon

Only a few more days until I can finally get my hands on this (Australian). Reading the impressions here has made it such a hard wait, it sounds fantastic.

daydream

Banned
This is Persona, so it kinda goes without saying, but man, this game just oozes style and the soundtrack is fantastic.

I have the hardest time going back into dungeon because yo, this jam~

Need dungeon help. Dungeon 2 spoilers.

floor 3, bottom of the map. Room with two FOEs. I can move one of them two spaces downward, but can still not progress through the narrow opening. As far as I can tell, i cannot move the FOE facing right. Any help?

PK Gaming

Yes, he's pretty much like that (more his Arena self than how goofy he can be in the anime), with the exception being when he (minor non-story event spoiler)
really got charged up about the idea that it's in a man's spirit to consume something that looks strange after coming across a mysterious drink and grabbed it to the surprise of everyone else
(probably a reference to the P4 fridge).

Oh wow

I can't wait to play through this game again

floor 3, bottom of the map. Room with two FOEs. I can move one of them two spaces downward, but can still not progress through the narrow opening. As far as I can tell, i cannot move the FOE facing right. Any help?

I think I know what you're talking about. Is it this room?

Soulflarz

Banned

No clue which spot this is (dont have my 3ds open) but a general tip is that going through green passageways doesnt reset FOEs. I'll check in a few though.

If it's the room I'm thinking of:
Look for a secret passage

Fandangox

Any tips for the [request spoiler]
Golden beetle at the end of You In Wonderland?
I feel like my party is not optimized to beat it, but aside from Zio weakness, I don't know what else I can use to boost my members.

Any tips for the [request spoiler]
Golden beetle at the end of You In Wonderland?
I feel like my party is not optimized to beat it, but aside from Zio weakness, I don't know what else I can use to boost my members.

Use status ailments. I made it panicked so it didn't do anything but attack itself for most of the fight.

I'm really liking this game so far. Playing on risky is fun and I haven't died much so far. I'm 12 hours in and only just got to floor 2 of the 2nd labyrinth. I can see this game lasting a while. I'm already planning my 2nd play through team.
Currently I'm using:
Front: P3MC/Akihiko/Shinjiro
Back: Naoto/Yukari

Shinji is getting the time he deserves ;-;

Edit: Fucking hell. I say this and now I've lost like an hour of progress because my MC just got rekt'd. The added rule of game over when your MC dies on risky is 'fun'.

Fandangox

Use status ailments. I made it panicked so it didn't do anything but attack itself for most of the fight.

That's the first thing I tried since it
worked on the other beetles
but every time I tried it on this one it missed.

Also is Luck better than Speed? I guess it depends on my party, but Yosuke is one of the ones I am sticking with, and was wondering if it was worth to use the luck-agi reverse accessory on him.

daydream

Banned
Huh, Rise's lvl. 21 skill (Zero Set) seems pretty crucial. You could spend way more time in a dungeon by just saving the MP costs for the first turn.

Gonna take a while to get, though.

PK Gaming

Huh, Rise's lvl. 21 skill (Zero Set) seems pretty crucial. You could spend way more time in a dungeon by just saving the MP costs for the first turn.

Gonna take a while to get, though.

It's a great skill, but it's costly (4) so it can't really be used from battle to battle. It's a great tider changer against FOEs/bosses though.

This skill upgrading thing is kind of weird. Tarukaja just turned into Mind Charge. They do different things!

For reasons I don't quite grasp, Mitsuru's the only character who experiences that kind of skill transformation. Every other character's skillset follows the standard path.

Xenoflare

Mhmm, I have the personas that contains Mediarama and Me Petra. Don't know if I want to retire Yukari and use Naoto instead, since she can Hama/Mudo in dungeon while heal in bosses/FOEs

But there is a 17 lv gap though....

daydream

Banned
Hm, the fact that Zen and Rei have their own armour sets makes me think that the game is suggesting I should roll with them because they're special in some way. Don't really want to, though, haha. Hope I'm not missing out on anything.

It's a great skill, but it's costly (4) so it can't really be used from battle to battle. It's a great tider changer against FOEs/bosses though.

Oh, it costs SP? How does that work then if she's a support character? Does it automatically activate until she's out of SP?

Xenoflare

Hm, the fact that Zen and Rei have their own armour sets makes me think that the game is suggesting I should roll with them because they're special in some way. Don't really want to, though, haha. Hope I'm not missing out on anything.

Oh, it costs SP? How does that work then if she's a support character? Does it automatically activate until she's out of SP?

It's 4 leader skill points, since the max is 5 so it's really a costly move.

Top Bottom