• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth |OT| -- No Dating, Just Dungeons

I fucking hate the way buffs work in P3 and P4 and now PQ. So much better in SMT, rather I probably have just become used to it.

I was legit surprised when Tarukaja only worked on one person.

Yeah, that's true. It is annoying. What I miss more is the stackable buffs from SMT. I hate only being able to have one level of buffing/debuffing. One thing I do like about Persona Q is that you can extend the duration of a buff by casting it again, which makes it a handy thing to do if the character with that buff is low in SP but got into boost mode. I've taken advantage of that a couple of times in tougher fights.

kewlmyc

About 25 hours into the game now and only at the 4th floor of the 2nd Labyrinth. I'm going to go ahead and take a week or so break from the game since I'm getting fatigued.

KarmaCow

I like that sub-personas add a battle only pool of hp and sp. It makes experimenting with weaknesses far less of a drain on resources. It also makes the game way easier though since starting that initial chain of boosting for free special abilities is way less of drain through out the dungeon.

Still, I just had my first EO moment where I was debating over getting the chest before leaving and then immediately had 4/5ths of the party wipe on the next encounter, only barely escaping after burning through items to keep the MC alive.

Soulflarz

Banned
These floors are way too big for the encounter rate. I've had no trouble, and I'm on the third floor of the 2nd dungeon. My teams now...23s. Welp.

Lusankya

Anyone in Europe using HomePass and getting some Persona Q hits? I already had over 100 persons in HomePass today, but not a single one with Persona Q (although one stated he played it, but apparently he didn't set up us his card).

Soulflarz

Banned
Oh God Rise calling Yu (who I named Yu Senpai) Senpai is finally weird
"Have you seen Senpai? You know, Yu-senpai?"
Basically if she says senpai, it means Yu.

Coming from P3P/P4 a few things about the battle system annoy me (some of which are probably ignorance on my part, to EO or this game in particular):

-conditions for AOA seem random or otherwise unclear.
-hitting an enemy with a weakness does not "knock them down" consistently a la P3/P4. If it does knock them down, they tend to get back up the same turn.
-the buff you get for hitting with a weakness is easily lost by enemies attacking.
-the encounter rate...is almost too low?

I'm only 3 floors in, and like P3/P4 there was a period early on where I didn't have many spells available to me and things were slow, so hopefully I grow out of it in time.

I am in love with drawing the map though. Too much, I think. And Rei is hilarious. More games need corndogs.

Odds of AOA increase the more characters end a turn in Boost state starting from 3, I think it's guaranteed if all 5 end in that state.

Enemies will always get up at the end of a turn, but they lose their action for that turn if they haven't taken it before they get knocked down, so it's still pretty useful if you're faster.

I feel like the encounter rate is perfect for the later dungeons, which are incredibly puzzle heavy. I think they'd start to get incredibly annoying if they were more frequent. It's balanced out by them being longer, more threatening fights than in most JRPGs too.

Totakeke

I wish I knew what exactly the effect of passive skills like Death's Scythe, First Star, Warrior Title etc. are. Most of them feel underwhelming and I spend so much time getting them. Adding to that is that most of them are usually not transferrable to most other personas.

Double Link is definitely the best one so far though.

Odds of AOA increase the more characters end a turn in Boost state starting from 3, I think it's guaranteed if all 5 end in that state.

Enemies will always get up at the end of a turn, but they lose their action for that turn if they haven't taken it before they get knocked down, so it's still pretty useful if you're faster.

I feel like the encounter rate is perfect for the later dungeons, which are incredibly puzzle heavy. I think they'd start to get incredibly annoying if they were more frequent. It's balanced out by them being longer, more threatening fights than in most JRPGs too.
This has me very excited for later in the game. I'm actually loving this more and more every time I play it.

OceanBlue

The third labyrinth is fun. It's missing a lot of the fun character interactions the second one had, but the labyrinth itself is more fun to go through.

OceanBlue

Someone care to explain how link skills work in Q to me?

As far as I've noticed, if you damage an opponent who you've previously used a link skill on, they get hit again for double the power of the link skill. It only happens once unless you have a skill that increases the number of links.

So right now I'm using Frost Link with my P4MC and it does 50 damage. If I hit that enemy with an attack, they get hurt by the attack and Frost Link activates again for about 100 damage.

Soulflarz

Banned
"Sup, Risecchi!"

...Junpei. Die, in a painful way preferably.
As far as I've noticed, if you damage an opponent who you've previously used a link skill on, they get hit again for double the power of the link skill. It only happens once unless you have a skill that increases the number of links.

So right now I'm using Frost Link with my P4MC and it does 50 damage. If I hit that enemy with an attack, they get hurt by the attack and Frost Link activates again for about 100 damage.

Thanks

Dantis

Not sure how I feel about (barely a spoiler)
Naoto secretly liking cute things.
I pretty sure this wasn't a 'thing' before PQ (in fact I'm pretty sure she's made reference to things being cute before in a normal, non-denial way), and it's like, super cliché.

Loving the game in general, though. The battle system, with Boosts and sub-Personas and whatnot is really smart and fun. Great dungeon designs too.

Holy shit at Kanji's strength stat when I finally got him.

Also, P3 Battle Theme > P4 Battle Theme.

The P3 one sounds closer to Meguro's sound, so I like that one in general more. I like LJ's rapping in the P4 one though.

Nachos

*Jet Engine Noises*
Looking through personas is so annoying. I don't know what they were thinking.

Still, I'm having fun. I tried restarting on Risky, and I'm enjoying that more. It's not that much more difficult, and it forces me to use everything to survive. Bosses and FOEs average about 30 turns, though, since I'm forced to conserve everything, and regular attacks are my best friends.

Coming from P3P/P4 a few things about the battle system annoy me (some of which are probably ignorance on my part, to EO or this game in particular):

-conditions for AOA seem random or otherwise unclear.
-hitting an enemy with a weakness does not "knock them down" consistently a la P3/P4. If it does knock them down, they tend to get back up the same turn.
-the buff you get for hitting with a weakness is easily lost by enemies attacking.
-the encounter rate...is almost too low?

I'm only 3 floors in, and like P3/P4 there was a period early on where I didn't have many spells available to me and things were slow, so hopefully I grow out of it in time.

I am in love with drawing the map though. Too much, I think. And Rei is hilarious. More games need corndogs.
All of those are exclusive to Q. In Etrian, hitting a weakness only boosts the damage of a skill and activates any passive skills invoicing weaknesses, if you have them.

60 item slots seems way too little if you fight a lot >.>
It's been that way in every Etrian game since the very beginning, so I'm used to it, but it certainly seems balanced towards Risky, where you'll be lucky to survive a few regular encounters and are expected to get most resources from p•spots. My problem is the 14-slot sub-persona limit.

Ourobolus

Banned
After I beat this, I'm going to have to give the original EO another shot. I've got it sitting around here somewhere, but it is just so goddamned brutal. I made it to like the 5th floor and it's just a slog. Can barely make progress before I run out of MP (or TP, or whatever it was), and money is a pain to scavenge for.

Zareka

I can't say I'm too fond of the whole "P3 MC is emo" thing Atlus seems to be rolling with, at least from what I can tell playing P3 side. He never, ever sounded this bored in P3 when he was fighting.
I
It's not from clearing out the entire floor, I think it was a chest behind some spikes though.
Oh, in that case I'll keep an eye out for it.

arue

Guys I need help with the arrow quest on the second dungeon.
What am I supposed to do to complete the quest? I tried killing both FOEs in the room full of spikes and it didn't work. I also walked along the walls and made sure to get hit by their arrows from the farthest distance and it also didn't work.

Did I miss something when Aigis spoke upon arriving in the big room full of spikes?

Gazoinks

Guys I need help with the arrow quest on the second dungeon. What am I supposed to do to complete the quest?
I tried killing both FOEs in the room full of spikes and it didn't work. I also walked along the walls and made sure to get hit by their arrows from the farthest distance and it also didn't work.

Did I miss something when Aigis spoke upon arriving in the big room full of spikes?
You need to check all of the walls the FOEs face.
The correct one is
down a long path of trap floors.

Setsu00

I can't say I'm too fond of the whole "P3 MC is emo" thing Atlus seems to be rolling with, at least from what I can tell playing P3 side. He never, ever sounded this bored in P3 when he was fighting.

Oh, in that case I'll keep an eye out for it.

I get the feeling that he's kinda spacey and not emo, especially (minor 2nd dungeon spoiler)
when he drank that cup of coffee

Guys I need help with the arrow quest on the second dungeon.
What am I supposed to do to complete the quest? I tried killing both FOEs in the room full of spikes and it didn't work. I also walked along the walls and made sure to get hit by their arrows from the farthest distance and it also didn't work.

If I recall correctly, if you keep walking north from the FOE on the left, you'll find an easily missable hallway / room. Keep going that way, and at the back wall (Straight north from the FOE) will be the arrow.

Edit: Oops, didn't realize I didn't refresh, didn't see the other answers haha.

D-Man

Got to the 4th floor of the second labyrinth. I gotta say, hearing (event spoiler)
Akihiko reading Marie's poem out loud was really great. You could hear Liam O'Brien thinking "What the hell does this even mean?" when he's saying his lines.

I really do like the amount of voice acting that's in this game compared to P3 and P4. It gives the events a lot more life than usual.

Nachos

After I beat this, I'm going to have to give the original EO another shot. I've got it sitting around here somewhere, but it is just so goddamned brutal. I made it to like the 5th floor and it's just a slog. Can barely make progress before I run out of MP (or TP, or whatever it was), and money is a pain to scavenge for.
Coming from someone who started with Etrian 1 seven years ago as a blissfully-unaware thirteen-year-old, I wouldn't wish that as anyone's first exposure to the series now that there are alternatives. The game really nails the feeling of playing an old-school RPG, including how obtuse and unintuitive they can be. There are certain exploits and glitches you can abuse to push things in your favor drastically, but without those, I genuinely believe it's one of the hardest games ever made. If I didn't have so much free time back then, I wouldn't have beaten it, since there was so much junk to divine and decipher.

Though the remake changed a lot of things (to the point where I'd recommend playing both for hardcore fans, since the director of 1 never directed an Etrian again), I really think Untold on classic is the best experience can have with 1's little quirks.

It's because he sounded exactly like Yosuke
Preeetty much. Im not sure on a real solution here though other than that.
I was hoping for a recast, but Atlus clearly thought their decision was for the best and served their audience's interests better than any alternative. I'm not completely on-board with it, but I can respect that, particularly when I'm ignorant of the production decisions they would need to make.

Zareka

It's because he sounded exactly like Yosuke
Oh snap, you're right. I always though the sounded different enough if a bit similar, but I never realised how samey they sounded before I compared the just there. I can live with that decision, then. That's what PSP quality speaker's will do for you I guess!

Also, I never realised how...feral P3 MC sounds in some of his P3 grunts. Sheesh.
I get the feeling that he's kinda spacey and not emo, especially (minor 2nd dungeon spoiler)
when he drank that cup of coffee
Well I'm only taking it from his battle quotes and grunts since I'm playing P3 side first, so I could be completely off base. He just sounds all bored all the time to me in battles. I'll be glad if I'm wrong when I play P4 side, though! Spacey sounds a lot more accurate than emo (for someone who didn't have a personality to begin with).

Gazoinks

I was actually surprised how goofy the P3MC is so far (I'm playing P4). I expected him to be more emo! xD

What's P4MC like for people playing the other side? He's had a lot more characterization, so I assume it's pretty much in line with Arena and the anime?

FluxWaveZ

What's P4MC like for people playing the other side? He's had a lot more characterization, so I assume it's pretty much in line with Arena and the anime?

Yes, he's pretty much like that (more his Arena self than how goofy he can be in the anime), with the exception being when he (minor non-story event spoiler)
really got charged up about the idea that it's in a man's spirit to consume something that looks strange after coming across a mysterious drink and grabbed it to the surprise of everyone else
(probably a reference to the P4 fridge).

KdylanR92

Just wiped on the third floor of the first dungeon playing on hard.........i was not amused lol Some beetle came out of nowhere and just RKO'd my whole team

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So... I'm thinking the idea behind (Dungeon 1 Floor 3)
getting past the three FOE's with the three rosebushes is to paint the top one and then the side ones? The top one generally will have the top FOE painting it, which blocks the damn stairs and me being able to get off this floor to the fourth.

Am I correct or overlooking something?

Zareka

Just wiped on the third floor of the first dungeon playing on hard.........i was not amused lol Some beetle came out of nowhere and just RKO'd my whole team
That beetle had me running on normal. It might as well have been an FOE for all I cared.

Pretty glad I didn't charge in to this at a higher difficulty. :p

Anyone in Europe using HomePass and getting some Persona Q hits? I already had over 100 persons in HomePass today, but not a single one with Persona Q (although one stated he played it, but apparently he didn't set up us his card).

Not sure if one of the recent updates fixed this, but there was a bug in the Streetpass system earlier this year where sometimes the last game activated wouldn't actually grab anything.

I had the issue with Tomodachii Life during the summer, had to download that Rusty's Real Deal Baseball game and activate that before TL worked.

Might be worth trying out if it isn't just an issue of nobody on HP having the game yet.

Xenoflare

So... I'm thinking the idea behind (Dungeon 1 Floor 3)
getting past the three FOE's with the three rosebushes is to paint the top one and then the side ones? The top one generally will have the top FOE painting it, which blocks the damn stairs and me being able to get off this floor to the fourth.

Am I correct or overlooking something?

I was stuck there too, I forgot the specifics but you have to make the one on the left or right to paint the top one, I do remember that I forced the top one to paint the left one in the end.

Top Bottom