• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth |OT| -- No Dating, Just Dungeons

Totakeke

Deep into the 3rd labyrinth now. The dungeon puzzles are pretty challenging man and the design is amazing. I don't remember the recent EOs having these kind of dungeons. Or maybe the setting is doing it wonders because it's more relatable than the EO fantasy setting. I don't remember being this impressed by the dungeons since playing EO1 for the first time.

Totakeke

That's the 3rd dungeon isn't it? If you prepare a Marakukaja I think it'll cancel out corrosion. You could try silencing them too.

Silence circles and panic circles aren't really foolproof but they work most of the time. Magic bind are the same thing too. Better if you have personas with passive skills that increase ailment or bind chances.

Most often if I see two casters, I just hope that I can kill them fast enough before they wreck my team. If there's three then I just use silence circle and cross my fingers. Doesn't help that around these levels is where the first level of ma- magic spells seem to knockdown enemies far less often so it means you have to take them down one by one.

17 hours in, I'm already burned out.

I'm not really enjoying everyone getting to have subpersonas when compendium prices are still just as expensive as mainline Persona.

Xenoflare

Um, how do you suspend a game? I don't see any options to create a suspend save other then returning to title which warns me about loss of progress.

Totakeke

My MVP so far for the 3rd labyrinth. I think most people will probably end up doing something similar because how obvious it is, but don't click if you don't want build spoilers.

http://i.imgur.com/1XAxcnU.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/htQeWyC.jpg

Akihiko is perfect for links because he has the best strength + agility combination, with the links he can do 400-500dmg per turn which is far better than anyone else at this stage. Double Link just lets each link trigger twice rather than just once. First Star gives you about ~25% damage boost though it may not kick in when you first fight new enemies that are faster than you. Heroic Gemini isn't really good at all but when it triggers you see him doing 300+ dmg just by himself which is always cool (no, it doesn't increase the link amount, just does one extra basic attack which triggers the link). I was running out of space on Tarkus so I had to skill extract First Star, Bolt Link, and Frost Link which is pretty easy to do.

Assault Shot obviously doesn't belong but so far I haven't seen anything that would replace it. Probably some 3 turn buff skill? Though this build is also great because you don't need to set anything up and you can just go and kill stuff which is important for random encounters. Bloody Vanguard would be awesome but I don't think that skill can be extracted out from anyone. Usually the annoying thing that happens is that enemies hit Akihiko so he loses the boost and is no longer the first in the party to act.

Xenoflare

For people who finished the game and did that certain sidequest

In NG+
will the tier 2 personas carry over? I'm under the impression that if you completed the sidequest for it during subsequent playthroughs once your character's level is high enough their personas will transform.

MrBS

CkezJNS.jpg

I'm happy with my choice.

Nightbird

I am thinking about picking up that Game sometime next Month, but i still have 2 Questions:

1.) L/R are busted on my 3DS, is this somehow going to be Problem to me?

2.) I really enjoyed the Social Aspect of Persona 3/4, so it was kind of a bummer knowing that it isn't in this Game, is there some kind of replacement of that? Will i still get to see a large Fokus on how the Characters interact with each other, or not?

Soulflarz

Banned
I am thinking about picking up that Game sometime next Month, but i still have 2 Questions:

1.) L/R are busted on my 3DS, is this somehow going to be Problem to me?

2.) I really enjoyed the Social Aspect of Persona 3/4, so it was kind of a bummer knowing that it isn't in this Game, is there some kind of replacement of that? Will i still get to see a large Fokus on how the Characters interact with each other, or not?

1) In the second dungeon? Yes, youll really want L/R for some puzzles.
2) strolls, they interact still.

Kensuke

I love the game, but there is one thing I'm really disliking: the characters are pretty one-note. Chie (meat meat meat) and Teddy (girls girls girls) are especially annoying. The depth the characters have in the main games is missing in action here. Is it better over on P3 side?

My MVP so far for the 3rd labyrinth. I think most people will probably end up doing something similar because how obvious it is, but don't click if you don't want build spoilers.

http://i.imgur.com/1XAxcnU.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/htQeWyC.jpg

What does Golden Link do? Just hit level 27 and I was thinking of making this persona. You can pass on Bloody Vanguard from Eligor (level 17) by the way.

vall03

Ugh, I can't believe I'm going to ask this question since I've never had any party problems in EO before. Uhmm, any party tips/suggestions when you can use both casts? I'm currently running Front: P3MC/P4MC/Aigis B: Naoto/Zen&Rei but for some reason I'm not feeling this team. Currently doing fine but I having a feeling that I'm going to get into trouble somewhere down the line in the 2nd or maybe 3rd dungeon.

I actually don't want to use Naoto but I got excited when I saw her learning Megido, but I have a feeling that I'll have difficulties with her moveset. Don't also if Zen&Rei will be useful but they're kinda jack of all trades so I'm sticking with them. Thinking of using Akihiko for Death Counter as well but I don't know if I'll be able to accommodate him into the party.

Another question, is Linking good here? Initially used it in EOIV but too much set-up turned me off there and the Imperials would deal the higher damage anyway.

GeekyDad

I love the game, but there is one thing I'm really disliking: the characters are pretty one-note. Chie (meat meat meat) and Teddy (girls girls girls) are especially annoying. The depth the characters have in the main games is missing in action here. Is it better over on P3 side?

No, it's the same. The characters in this game are more caricatures of the characters from their respective games. I'm okay with it, as I wasn't expecting it to be much more than that, really. Aki and Shinji are probably the worst case.

Zareka

Man, I'd probably be getting through this game a lot quicker if I wasn't constantly switching around party members. 20 hours in and I'm only on the 3rd floor of the 2nd dungeon. I don't even care though, this game can suck up as much of my time as it wants.

I agree a bit with the characters being one note thing. They're better than Arena, but Chie and Teddie are really getting on my nerves. Chie already annoyed me but I dread Teddie even walking on screen now.

spiritfox

Ugh, I can't believe I'm going to ask this question since I've never had any party problems in EO before. Uhmm, any party tips/suggestions when you can use both casts? I'm currently running Front: P3MC/P4MC/Aigis B: Naoto/Zen&Rei but for some reason I'm not feeling this team. Currently doing fine but I having a feeling that I'm going to get into trouble somewhere down the line in the 2nd or maybe 3rd dungeon.

I actually don't want to use Naoto but I got excited when I saw her learning Megido, but I have a feeling that I'll have difficulties with her moveset. Don't also if Zen&Rei will be useful but they're kinda jack of all trades so I'm sticking with them. Thinking of using Akihiko for Death Counter as well but I don't know if I'll be able to accommodate him into the party.

Another question, is Linking good here? Initially used it in EOIV but too much set-up turned me off there and the Imperials would deal the higher damage anyway.

Sub-Personas can cover your team's weaknesses so party structure isn't that important. But you should at least have a healer i.e. Yukari or Yukiko, though anybody with high magic plus a healer sub can do it too. Zen and Rei are alright, but the lack of sub-Personas make them less useful IMO.

Links only proc once unless you have the Dual Link skill, so I find it not worth the time.

DKL

Man, I completely bodied the 2nd dungeon on hard... the boss didn't stand a chance.

This includes
Elizabeth
event battle.

Really wishing I just restarted on Risky now, though I'm a little at odds at exactly how they would have made the thing more difficult:

Would they retool enemy compositions and their weaknesses, or do they artificially create difficulty through RNG and inflated HP?

As it was, everything in the dungeon was
weak to either Hama or Mudo... so of course I gave at least 2 characters in my waifu harem the moves... but fights would get dragged out because they decided to be dicks and make the moves miss like 3-5 times in a row once I got to a certain point in the 2nd floor.

Not that resource management becomes an issue given that you can fuse Personas that replenish things enough so that you will at least be able to execute Hama or Mudo at least once every battle.

Also, King enemy thing isn't worth fighting more than once because of how much EXP it gives you with respect to how long the fight might last and consume resources.

That aside, enjoy this game a lot better than actual P4. I don't feel bored like I do when I trek through that game's random dungeons.

I'm also more motivated to do side quests since they're more entertaining and fleshed out. Not only that, but they're structured into the actual game pretty well: they tend to pop out as you try to 100% a dungeon, so there's a lot of good reasons to 100% all the floors.

I do honestly wish they would consider changing up mainline Persona to something more "designed"... it's time to move away from random shit, honestly.

Move P3MC to the back. I'd probably replace Zen and Rei with a heavy phys dealer like Chie, Kanji, or Akihiko to use up front for big damage.

Oh god, first dungeon, second floor, I
picked up the sword in the rubble. 5 of those sword guys? Eugh, it's already a pain when fighting two of them. So I set everyone to run.
Of course, it being an event fight means I can't, so everyone's turn is wasted. They wail on Teddy, the only bufu caster, their only weaknees, and kill him.

I just closed the 3ds and walked away. Not looking forward to resolving that.

DKL

I realize that the first boss would be doable, with multi hit elemental spells, but I cannot find a single damned one, that is not on a level 13+ Persona.

It is severely pissing me off, in a way that EO never has.

I'm level 12 on Hard, and cannot even come close to besting her.

Oh yeah, I actually did this battle on hard on level 9 with P4 characters (meaning no healing wind...)... it's possible, but man is it a long fight. Like, REALLY long.

That said, as I pointed out earlier, the second labyrinth is kinda free...

Man, I completely bodied the 2nd dungeon on hard... the boss didn't stand a chance.

This includes
Elizabeth
event battle.

Really wishing I just restarted on Risky now, though I'm a little at odds at exactly how they would have made the thing more difficult:

Would they retool enemy compositions and their weaknesses, or do they artificially create difficulty through RNG and inflated HP?

As it was, everything in the dungeon was
weak to either Hama or Mudo... so of course I gave at least 2 characters in my waifu harem the moves... but fights would get dragged out because they decided to be dicks and make the moves miss like 3-5 times in a row once I got to a certain point in the 2nd floor.

Not that resource management becomes an issue given that you can fuse Personas that replenish things enough so that you will at least be able to execute Hama or Mudo at least once every battle.

Also, King enemy thing isn't worth fighting more than once because of how much EXP it gives you with respect to how long the fight might last and consume resources.

That aside, enjoy this game a lot better than actual P4. I don't feel bored like I do when I trek through that game's random dungeons.

I'm also more motivated to do side quests since they're more entertaining and fleshed out. Not only that, but they're structured into the actual game pretty well: they tend to pop out as you try to 100% a dungeon, so there's a lot of good reasons to 100% all the floors.

I do honestly wish they would consider changing up mainline Persona to something more "designed"... it's time to move away from random shit, honestly.

Bosses in the game aren't much of a threat, with the exception of maybe the first one. The mobs, on the other hand...

DKL

Bosses (well, the first one) and FOEs so far have so much HP tho...

Like, man, I feel like I'll be old by the time this thing finishes.

EDIT:

Well, maybe the HP thing isn't the case anymore, really... I can do real damage now that I have stuff.

My main foe towards the end of the 2nd labyrinth was RNG and
whether or not the fight would last longer than 1 turn

Sophia

Oh god, first dungeon, second floor, I
picked up the sword in the rubble. 5 of those sword guys? Eugh, it's already a pain when fighting two of them. So I set everyone to run.
Of course, it being an event fight means I can't, so everyone's turn is wasted. They wail on Teddy, the only bufu caster, their only weaknees, and kill him.

I just closed the 3ds and walked away. Not looking forward to resolving that.

I just did that a little bit ago. A tip, if you're interested:
Those enemies have a second weakness to Darkness. I'm not sure who has that on the P4 side, as I'm playing P3 and haven't gotten them yet. But you can use Ice + Darkness and play defensively for it.

Bosses (well, the first one) and FOEs so far have so much HP tho...

Like, man, I feel like I'll be old by the time this thing finishes.

I love it. The best RPGs are when it comes down to the last moment in a boss battle. <3

spiritfox

I just did that a little bit ago. A tip, if you're interested:
Those enemies have a second weakness to Darkness. I'm not sure who has that on the P4 side, as I'm playing P3 and haven't gotten them yet. But you can use Ice + Darkness and play defensively for it.

I love it. The best RPGs are when it comes down to the last moment in a boss battle. <3

Naoto. Just Naoto.

Hugstable

Banned
Hey what's a good difficulty to start this game on? I have experience beating Persona 3+4 (did 4 twice once Normal and once on Hard in Golden), Beat SMT3 at Normal, played at Hard, never did finish that one though, gave up like 3/4 of the way through the true demon end lol), and I've beaten EO4 and Strange Journey. Just don't wanna choose a difficulty where I'm just breezing through with no challenge or one where it's gonna be way too much grinding to just have to move on. I think I'm going P3 over P4 anyway, dat battle theme, plus I'm guessing I have Fuuka and Aigis earlier than if I was to go P3?

DKL

This wasn't the case in the second boss... I kinda walked all over the thing.

That said, I think the HP thing isn't so prominent now that I have stuff like Naoto's
Megido
and dual links with a character (but some encounters aren't actually worth it because of the time and resources they would take... I could beat the things, but I could also just... fight other enemies and get more EXP in the same amount of time)... it's more about whether or not RNG will troll me and make the fight go longer than it has to be.

Because of how the
weaknesses
were structured in the second labyrinth, the optimal encounter strategy was pretty simple... I was almost exclusively
using two character to spam Hama and Mudo, while everyone else defended

Does anyone have a gameplay video of about 10-20 minutes showing just overall the mechanics? I know this is oddly specific, but just trying to see if I will like this game, sounds like a decent time investment, I know Altus had a bunch and before scouring YouTube I'd start with the ot.

DKL

You know what this game's best feature is?

Allowing everyone to have
a sub persona.

NO WAIFU LEFT BEHIND.

I currently run P4 main (can't make his last name Narukami, ATLUS PLS) and Mitsuru in front.

Aigis, Natoto and Yukari in the back.

Because of the flexibility of the system, you can practically run any team you want (though Naoto is particularly better than the other characters because of her skills... but you can always just fuse Persona to make up for this, though I'm not sure how to get
Megido
as early as she gets it, which is
level 16
)... I like that.

I'd like to use Rei, but, as pointed out by people in the thread, it feels like a waste having someone not level up a Persona.

Did I mess up by picking Persona 3 characters first? I mean, I was under the impression it didn't matter. I do like the P4 characters more but I hadn't played P3 in a while and so I thought it'd be cool to play through with them. I'm still only on the first dungeon though.

Sophia

Did I mess up by picking Persona 3 characters first? I mean, I was under the impression it didn't matter. I do like the P4 characters more but I hadn't played P3 in a while and so I thought it'd be cool to play through with them. I'm still only on the first dungeon though.

It only really affects cutscenes beyond the first dungeon. Unless you really like one cast over the other, you can't "mess up" your choice.

The first dungeon itself isn't that much different, you're just limited to one team or the other.

Totakeke

What does Golden Link do? Just hit level 27 and I was thinking of making this persona. You can pass on Bloody Vanguard from Eligor (level 17) by the way.

Golden Link increases the damage your links do the more links you have. Probably more useful later than now where you only have double link. I haven't tested exactly how much extra damage it contributes.

Yeah, I was thinking more of skill extraction for Bloody Vanguard since it'll be a pain to fuse Turdak again with the right skills.

3rd dungeon second floor puzzle question:

how do I solve the four rooms, four switches thing?

Walk through the doors in the big square on bottom left in in the order stated in the hint on the room before it where the FOE is blocking you. Yeah it's not completely right because you have to pass through the doors more than once but just do it and it works.

It only really affects cutscenes beyond the first dungeon. Unless you really like one cast over the other, you can't "mess up" your choice.

The first dungeon itself isn't that much different, you're just limited to one team or the other.

Okay that's what I wanted to know. Affects the cutscenes as in the stories are different or just slightly altered? I like both casts but P4 has more fun characters. Like I said I hadn't visited P3 in a while so I went with them. Just gotta figure out how to press on in Ch. 3 so I can continue making progress.

Sophia

Okay that's what I wanted to know. Affects the cutscenes as in the stories are different or just slightly altered? I like both casts but P4 has more fun characters. Like I said I hadn't visited P3 in a while so I went with them. Just gotta figure out how to press on in Ch. 3 so I can continue making progress.

Same story, different cutscenes. The Persona 4 side puts focus on them, the Persona 3 puts focus on SEES. So unless you really hate SEES or you reeeeallllly wanted to see those Investigation Team cutscenes, it's not a big deal.

Top Bottom