• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth |OT| -- No Dating, Just Dungeons

Laconic

Banned
So. I finally beat the Fisrt Boss. It did not feel like anything of an accomplishment. She simply elected to hit my team with powerful single target spells, and chose non-weakness members each time, this go. And Yosuke managed to get Poisma off, as opposed to missing 6 times. Yaaaay. I don't FEEL more skilled.

Hmm.. I am thinking more and more to ask for this as a gift for Xmas from my Wife, problem is she does not play video games at all and I am nervous this game will make her wonder about her chosen partner haha.

Laconic

Banned
Hmm.. I am thinking more and more to ask for this as a gift for Xmas from my Wife, problem is she does not play video games at all and I am nervous this game will make her wonder about her chosen partner haha.

You put a ring on her finger without her managing to find out that you like video games?

Or is it just JRPGs?

Hugstable

Banned
Think I'm just gonna start with P3 crew and set it to Hard, I read that I'm able to change the difficulty later anyway, so it shouldn't be a big deal. Just hope it doesn't get overly grindy. Plus I really like the sound for the P3 Crew battle theme, it's awesome :D

Edit: Who are the best P3 Characters and what formations are best for them?

Laconic

Banned
Maybe he thinks personas weird? idk

Persona REALLY isn't that bad though, as far JRPGs go.

A few years back, I tried forcing my way through Star Ocean 4.

After having been subjected to Lymle for a few hours, I wanted to divorce myself.

I swear, Lymle HAS to be a covert Shinji Mikami design trolling that game... nothing else even approaches making sense.

Hugstable

Banned
Persona REALLY isn't that bad though, as far JRPGs go.

A few years back, I tried forcing my way through Star Ocean 4.

After having been subjected to Lymle for a few hours, I wanted to divorce myself.

I swear, Lymle HAS to be a covert Shinji Mikami design trolling that game... nothing else even approaches making sense.

LOL I wouldn't wish SO4 on my worst enemy, that voice acting hurt the game so bad for me, even if the battle system was fun.

Persona I think it still pretty good at getting people who don't usually like JRPG into the genre, like my brother who really only liked Earthbound before, but he played the hell outta P3P even though he has always usually never fond of any other RPG series.

Marie your poems are still aaaaghhhh

lol me choosing P3 route is now justified! Liz and Theo together have been awesome so far in this beginning portion.

DKL

Huh, it seems like you can replay the
wedding stuff
from the 2nd labyrinth, probably with the intent of being able to see all the possible scenarios.

I made sure to
go with the right choice this time.

And by right choice, I mean Yukari.

Eblo

It looks like the cost of healing is based on how many times you use it rather than how much you need healed. Does it ever cap off? Or should I keep gathering materials from earlier dungeons to sell so I can keep up with Elizabeth's inane inflation?

Mononoke

Banned
Persona is my favorite series of all time. So I was in such delight when I finally got to open up my limited edition copy last night and dive in. I was playing Dragon Age when it came out, and just beat it the other day (took me 140 hours to beat it lol).

Anyways, this game is really beautiful. I love the art style. The colors. Just the overall production. It's really amazing. It's not your typical Persona game, but I actually think in its own way, it's amazing on a production level.

My only issue I think, is the idea of drawing the dungeon map. I know i know it's a genre style. I'm aware of the Etrian odyssey games. I love dungeon crawlers (put 100 hours into Demon Gaze just last year on the Vita). And so I'm totally okay wit that. It just feels like the map stuff is a bit tedious. Like it's an extra step that doesn't really add that much to the game, but just feels like extra work.

Maybe that will change as the maps get more complex (I'm only on Chapter 2 int he first dungeon lol so still very early in the game). The only time I thought it was neat, was figuring out the enemy patterns of Foes to avoid them. But god, the OCD in me hates this game, as I really have to draw every wall,and every detail. =/

Yasumi

Banned
It looks like the cost of healing is based on how many times you use it rather than how much you need healed. Does it ever cap off? Or should I keep gathering materials from earlier dungeons to sell so I can keep up with Elizabeth's inane inflation?
It's actually based on your main character's level x 100.

Totakeke

It's your character level x 100g.

bobohoro

Nope, it's based on your level, I think your main MCs level to be precise.

Getting the game tomorrow, still undecided on difficulty and main protagonist. Are the battle themes really tied to that choice? Would be another reason for P3, even though the P4-cast is more charismatic to me.

And does difficulty affect money/exp? I'm still not sure if I want a challenge without reward or just play the game as intended, namely normal, although I think it would be too easy for me, since I am pretty familiar with both Persona and EO. I'm really indecisive and hate choices in my videogames. :O

O' Biased Naoto Goddess, bless Zeouterlimits's party with much goodness and many instant kills. ;p
I wiped, as I expected. Came back with bufu on 3 characters and wrecked them.

The game has started getting it's hooks into me properly. I hope there's some bite in the plot though.

Kensuke

So about link skills, you should only use one character to do them.

I just tested it out and double links can get canceled out by another link skill. Let's say I use Kanji's bolt link (with a double link passive). After him Naoto uses frost link (also with double link passive). Naoto does damage and then the first link from Kanji is activated. Then Aigis does a normal attack. After she's done you might expect the second Kanji link to activate, but Naoto's first link activates instead. I'm sure it's a Naoto link because Kanji's links do way more damage. Finally P4MC attacks and Naoto's second link activates.

So yeah, it's not efficient to use link skills with multiple characters. Thought you guys might want to know.

Hugstable

Banned
I kinda like the P4 Battle theme the more I listen to it now, made another file and gonna have both and try to figure out which side I really want to be on. So hard to choose considering I'm gonna be listening to this battle theme so much hehe.

FluxWaveZ

My only issue I think, is the idea of drawing the dungeon map. I know i know it's a genre style. I'm aware of the Etrian odyssey games. I love dungeon crawlers (put 100 hours into Demon Gaze just last year on the Vita). And so I'm totally okay wit that. It just feels like the map stuff is a bit tedious. Like it's an extra step that doesn't really add that much to the game, but just feels like extra work.

You can turn it from manual mapping to automatic in the options menu.

LayLa

Finally put some time into this game, finished the first dungeon with P3 cast on Risky.
Some good dungeon design choices so far & a decent melding of Persona & Etrian battle systems. Only problem is with the dialog which is too frequent and just not funny or smart enough. Hope it improves or I'm going to be skipping most of it in future.

I love that you can use higher level personas as Subs - problem is fighting the FOEs to get them can get risky. I'm not very good at games like this until I figure out the quirks of the battle system. But so far I haven't died once fighting an FOE. I managed to hang on for dear life in one fight though.

I really need SP restoring skills/items.

Pouh

Third dungeon quest spoilers : how the f*ck am I supposed to kill the
Old Doll
?

I've tried to use bind spells, to no avail : she has crazy dodging skills. And she seems to be able to do full recovery Diarahan a la carte, yaaay...

Dimmle

Question for cool, smart people: should I bother teaching media to Yukiko's persona or will she learn it on her own like in P4?

magnetic

I kinda like the P4 Battle theme the more I listen to it now, made another file and gonna have both and try to figure out which side I really want to be on. So hard to choose considering I'm gonna be listening to this battle theme so much hehe.

Indeed. I´m still in the first dungeon and seriously considering starting over because I realized that I like the P4 theme more, I prefer the softer singing voice.

Is there really no way to change this later? Considering that Etrian Odyssey usually have around 3 battle themes through the game (iirc), not even being able to choose between only two seems a bit limiting.

Finally put some time into this game, finished the first dungeon with P3 cast on Risky.
Some good dungeon design choices so far & a decent melding of Persona & Etrian battle systems. Only problem is with the dialog which is too frequent and just not funny or smart enough. Hope it improves or I'm going to be skipping most of it in future.

...yeah, I really tried to give the dialog a chance this time. I liked the general style of the Persona games, but I can´t for the life of me bring myself to care for videogame dialog, it just never appealed to me at all.

Especially stuff like pointing out shortcuts in the wall EVERY SINGLE TIME. What do you mean, Aigis, the wall seems fishy? The one with the gigantic, animated clock that also ticks really loudly and is absolutely impossible to miss?

I would have been a lot more willing to give the dialog the benefit of the doubt if there wasn´t so much of it. When I started the game, all I wanted was to jump into the dungeon as soon as possible.

Aside from all that: Really enjoying it so far! The graphical style of Persona just looks super cool in an Etrian game, and it feels very nice to go from the usual Strata of Etria to grotesque dungeons and weird, masked enemies, and the Persona/Subpersona style is a very nice formula so far. I´m just really thankful this game exists at all. I don´t even mind the "fanservicey" elements of it since I don´t care about the characters at all, just having another Etrian game with the style of Persona is really awesome.

(Battle speed is painfully slow compared to EO:U or EOIII, the long pauses between each action feels really clunky, but the animations are nice and I won´t be marathoning this game anyway, so I guess I can deal with it. As long as it´s faster than P3/P4 I´m satisfied!)

Kensuke

Question for cool, smart people: should I bother teaching media to Yukiko's persona or will she learn it on her own like in P4?

She'll only learn dia-spells, so it might be worth it. I'd recommend getting rid of Yukiko altogether though. She's slow, which makes her a mediocre healer.

Gazoinks

Dark and light spells seem way more useful in this game than in the mainline Persona games. So many weaknesses. I'm on dungeon 2, floor 3, and I'm breezing through most battles by having Mitsuru instantly kill everyone with Mamudo (and Naoto cleaning up with Hama if necessary).

Shizuka

Do you guys think the limited edition is worth the price? I want to get the game, but I'm thinking about going with the limited edition, even if it'll cost me a pretty penny.

//ARCANUM

Do you guys think the limited edition is worth the price? I want to get the game, but I'm thinking about going with the limited edition, even if it'll cost me a pretty penny.

the 3DS XL case is awesome. The art book is basically a pamphlet, the cd is cool and so are the cards (especially if you have the first part of the set from P4AU). I'm actually gonna frame all my cards and put them over blue velvet. The box for the limited edition is nice too and looks good on my shelf.

I think the coolest part of the set is the case, if you've got a 3DS XL, go for it.

Not in Europe. NISA EU are charging an arm and a leg for it here. I really wanted the 3DS case, which is basically the thing you're buying it for.

Dark and light spells seem way more useful in this game than in the mainline Persona games. So many weaknesses. I'm on dungeon 2, floor 3, and I'm breezing through most battles by having Mitsuru instantly kill everyone with Mamudo (and Naoto cleaning up with Hama if necessary).

Seriously. I don't usually bother with either spell in SMT games, but they're incredibly useful in PQ. I use them constantly.

So here is a question. Do FOEs respawn always? Never played EO and figurwd they would be gone once they were defeated. Seems like a long battle for not much exp.

Zareka

Man I am stumped on floor 3 of dungeon 2. I've made my way
to the very south east
and I have no idea where to go now. There doesn't seem to be any doors or walls to go through. Anyone lend a hand?

Hey guys, I'm 4 hours into the game, only at the level 2 of the first dungeon (P4 protagonist)...I wanted to ask : is it better to turn on the auto-map ? (I usually explore all of the map before going to another level). Thanks !

Is the Persona Q 3DS case compatible with the New 3DS XL? Does it fit nicely?

Not that I know from experience but I'm sure the 3DS XL and the New 3DS XL are the same size. No idea how well it fits.

Hey guys, I'm 4 hours into the game, only at the level 2 of the first dungeon (P4 protagonist)...I wanted to ask : is it better to turn on the auto-map ? (I usually explore all of the map before going to another level). Thanks !

It depends. Do you want to draw a map or not? Give it a try first mind. It is the weirdest feature that people get oddly compelled by. I love drawing maps and didn't think it would be an enjoyable mechanic.

Zareka

If you'd prefer not to draw the map yourself, go for it. I thought drawing what you just stepped over was a bit pointless so I turned automap on and I'm having a way better time than I would otherwise. You still have to add in little things like doors, make custom notes and mark shortcuts and that's enough for me.

There's no objective 'better' way, though. It all just depends on what you find more fun.

Top Bottom