• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth |OT| -- No Dating, Just Dungeons

Luigi87

Hey guys, I'm 4 hours into the game, only at the level 2 of the first dungeon (P4 protagonist)...I wanted to ask : is it better to turn on the auto-map ? (I usually explore all of the map before going to another level). Thanks !

That's really up to you. Turning on auto-mapping will make things a lot faster technically.
It depends if you enjoy drawing in your own map. Personally I draw in my own as there is something oddly satisfying about watching it all come together (100%) and knowing you pieced it all together yourself. Of course that will slow down your gameplay rather significantly if you're worried about that.

Do you guys think the limited edition is worth the price? I want to get the game, but I'm thinking about going with the limited edition, even if it'll cost me a pretty penny.

Personally, it wasn't worth it. I wanted the cards, and I either didn't notice or it wasn't clear at the time I pre-ordered that the standard edition would have the cards as well. Also, part of me is still mad that shipping and customer service screw ups conspired to cheat me out of a Bravely Default CE and made me want this one more. The case is nice, but I don't feel the need or want to use a case for my DS.

Dimmle

She'll only learn dia-spells, so it might be worth it. I'd recommend getting rid of Yukiko altogether though. She's slow, which makes her a mediocre healer.

Thanks! I'll save media for Yukari, then.

Another question for you fine folks: how exactly do special character attacks and all-out attacks work in this game? The character-specific prompts seem to occur randomly, but I think I've noticed some vague pattern to when the all-out prompt is triggered.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
All-out is when a majority of characters are boosted/hit an enemies weakness.

3/5 needed to have the chance to trigger. If you have ALL five boosted (which is the series "critical" summoning Persona eye-image) you'll auto-get the chance to do an all-out.

Fandangox

Request spoilers does anyone know where the
love potion
is?

Teddie keeps saying west, then east when I go to each direction.

Request spoilers does anyone know where the
love potion
is?

Teddie keeps saying west, then east when I go to each direction.

Ugh that sidequest felt so broken. I legitimately thought it was glitch or it was going to be revealed that Teddie's nose wasn't working. He would tell me I'm far away and need to go east. So I'd start walking to the east side of the floor and then he'd chime in and say I'm far away and had to go west. It took foreverrrr to find.

Vexxan

Damn this game is good, just got to the final floor of the first dungeon and I'm having a blast. It's pretty satisfying filling out the map on your own and I'll probably try to get 100% on every floor. Haven't played any EO games before but I'm really enjoying the small puzzle sections in the dungeons, even if they only taken a minute (at least so far).

As expected, the music is awesome.

BlackJace

Around what level should I be at in order to start beating FOEs in dungeon 1?

I'm playing on Hard. They have so much HP, they just end up outlasting me.

//ARCANUM

Does Persona Q have multiple endings and very specific (and next to impossible to figure out without a guide) things you have to do to get a "true" ending?

Dimmle

So, uh, I'm sure this has been answered already, but...

Can you ever hold more than 14 persona? I'd like every party member to have their own sub-persona at all times. Barring that, is it possible to save persona configuration so two members can use the same sub-persona across two separate squads?

How are other players dealing with this limitation?

abrack08

Thanks! I'll save media for Yukari, then.

Another question for you fine folks: how exactly do special character attacks and all-out attacks work in this game? The character-specific prompts seem to occur randomly, but I think I've noticed some vague pattern to when the all-out prompt is triggered.

Yukari's main Persona already learns Media. By the time the two groups meet up, she should already know it. I wished I saved the Recarm card for Yukari, it was nice being able to revive people without using an item with Yukiko but now that Yukari's in my party instead, it's back to items.

//ARCANUM

Yukari's main Persona already learns Media. By the time the two groups meet up, she should already know it. I wished I saved the Recarm card for Yukari, it was nice being able to revive people without using an item with Yukiko but now that Yukari's in my party instead, it's back to items.

oh crap. is THAT what recarm does? I hate that it doesn't tell you what the cards do until you give it to someone. i thought it was something else entirely and sold it to the shop.... is there any way to get another one?

spiritfox

She'll only learn dia-spells, so it might be worth it. I'd recommend getting rid of Yukiko altogether though. She's slow, which makes her a mediocre healer.

Yukiko's not slow, she's the fastest character in my party, and I have Naoto.

I have Ag-Luck Reverse on her.

Hugstable

Banned
So I've gotten to the second floor with both my P3MC party and P4MC party, but I want to go with my P4MC party, except for the fact that Fuuka had that awesome leader skill which gives everyone health regen for 3 turns. Can I eventually learn that Leader Skill for Rise on P4MC? I would have liked that skill way more than the Act First skill Rise has.

Gazoinks

So I've gotten to the second floor with both my P3MC party and P4MC party, but I want to go with my P4MC party, except for the fact that Fuuka had that awesome leader skill which gives everyone health regen for 3 turns. Can I eventually learn that Leader Skill for Rise on P4MC? I would have liked that skill way more than the Act First skill Rise has.

Once the parties meet, you can choose Rise or Fuuka as your navigator.

//ARCANUM

also, I've asked this before but i didn't see an answer - in Persona Q do I want to be equally leveling everyone throughout the whole game (swapping them in and out like I would in Persona 3/4) or do I pick a party and stick with it?

Kensuke

Yukiko's not slow, she's the fastest character in my party, and I have Naoto.

I have Ag-Luck Reverse on her.

Ha, yeah, that's a pretty good idea. I love how flexible the game is with that stuff. Still, I'd say there are more useful characters for healing and magic damage. P3MC for one.

Gazoinks

also, I've asked this before but i didn't see an answer - in Persona Q do I want to be equally leveling everyone throughout the whole game (swapping them in and out like I would in Persona 3/4) or do I pick a party and stick with it?

You're probably better off sticking with one party due simply to the sheer number of party members in this game. You'll be grinding a lot if you want to keep everyone leveled.

Never played an EO before but game's pretty great. I didn't like drawing the maps so I just put automap on. It's also really fun to see the two teams interacting with each other.

All-out is when a majority of characters are boosted/hit an enemies weakness.

3/5 needed to have the chance to trigger. If you have ALL five boosted (which is the series "critical" summoning Persona eye-image) you'll auto-get the chance to do an all-out.

Shit, I was wondering how that worked. The chance for an All out Attack wouldn't show up even when I hit all the enemies with their weaknesses. Thanks.

Kensuke

You can't switch out your MC, so he'll definitely end up over overleveled that way. The characters are also pretty similar, though I'd say there are a few that stand out. Just pick the ones you like and make sure you have a good balance between physical and magic.

any recommendations on a strong party? and should I restart the game (i'm 4 hours in) since I stupidly sold that Recarm card? Or will I be able to get another later on?

I'm going with:

P4MC/Kanji/Aigis
Naoto/P3MC

Naoto is amazing at cleaning up mobs with hama/mudo. P3MC is a great healer thanks to his incredible speed, but also has high luck (more hama/mudo) and magic. Aigis keeps the frontline alive with swordbreaker and is pretty much the ultimate tank (highest HP in the game). I used a media and recarm card on her, so she can even support in emergencies. P4MC doesn't do much, I'm playing risky so he's often defending or doing some odd job. Kanji meanwhile gets a ton of points in strength early (I think more than other DPS characters like Aki and Chie). He uses link skills to wreck anything.

No, you shouldn't redo 4 hours for recarm. You can easily get multiple subpersona's with that skill.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I leveled a little and went with a team of 10's and 9's and the first labyrinth boss destroyed me again. I got farther than before tho.

My main problem is that I cannot land any single debuff on the boss except lowering attack. Stun circles, arm binds, poison... nothing lands.

It's specially a problem towards the end when it starts doing those elemental attacks.

Eblo

I leveled a little and went with a team of 10's and 9's and the first labyrinth boss destroyed me again. I got farther than before tho.

My main problem is that I cannot land any single debuff on the boss except lowering attack. Stun circles, arm binds, poison... nothing lands.

It's specially a problem towards the end when it starts doing those elemental attacks.
I just used skills that both attack and have a chance of inflicting ailments. I'm doing the P3 side, so Fuuka's Leader Skill helped tremendously. I was also level 12.

Hugstable

Banned
How would an this party combination do?

P4MC/Aigis
P3MC/Yukari/Naoto

Never used Naoto really in P4, but she is really awesome here, and has been nice in this early dungeon getting her boosted with just normal attacks from enemies with the pierce weakness and then going for the hama.

P4MC/Aigis
P3MC/Yukaro/Naoto

Never used Naoto really in P4, but she is really awesome here, and has been nice in this early dungeon getting her boosted with just normal attacks from enemies with the pierce weakness and then going for the hama.

Phys attacks seem really strong in this game so I'd probably swap Yukari for a brawler, but otherwise that should be fine as long as you know how to manage your SP in longer fights.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I just used skills that both attack and have a chance of inflicting ailments. I'm doing the P3 side, so Fuuka's Leader Skill helped tremendously. I was also level 12.

I'm on the P4 side, and I feel they're less powerful.

Yukiko does not have media, unlike the other healer... which is a big problem as I have to waste tons of turns just popping medicines.

Laconic

Banned

P4MC/Aigis
P3MC/Yukaro/Naoto

If you mean Yukari, then yea - that would be the idea magic intensive party, imo.

I like three physical up front, more - but that is just me.

I'm on the P4 side, and I feel they're less powerful.

Yukiko does not have media, unlike the other healer... which is a big problem as I have to waste tons of turns just popping medicines.

I agree with this.

They also get Best Worst Navigator.

Hugstable

Banned
Phys attacks seem really strong in this game so I'd probably swap Yukari for a brawler, but otherwise that should be fine as long as you know how to manage your SP in longer fights.

If you mean Yukari, then yea - that would be the idea magic intensive party, imo.

I agree with this.

Who would I replace from that team to bring a Physical up front? I've had Kanji in my party while leveling up in the first few floors, and I'm guessing Chie is an option as well? Yukari makes a good healer from what I played with her when I was doing the P3MC side earlier while trying to decide which group I was gonna play as. Really like Naoto too haha.

wow dark and light skills are extremely useful in this game, probably the most useful it's been in all the SMT games I've played

finally got both teams together, wish the game would let me use 6 people, seeing an empty spot burns me up I tell ya.

Also is it good to use Zen/Rei? They don't have any personas but they still seem pretty damn useful with all their skills.

Lucentto

Banned

P4MC/Aigis
P3MC/Yukari/Naoto

My party is pretty similar except I have Kanji in my party instead of Yukari. So its:

Aigis/P4MC/Kanji
Naoto/P3MC

I have been running through the game so far with this party. Physical seems to be really good in this game.

Who would I replace from that team to bring a Physical up front? I've had Kanji in my party while leveling up in the first few floors, and I'm guessing Chie is an option as well? Yukari makes a good healer from what I played with her when I was doing the P3MC side earlier while trying to decide which group I was gonna play as. Really like Naoto too haha.

Kanji, Chie, and Shinjiro seem like the big physical attackers, I think Akihiko would work too.

I use Kanji myself. He has a skill that buffs his attack and lets him attack first for three turns so his slow speed isn't that bad if you can land a crit or hit a weakness. I gave him a multi-hit phys move through a subpersona and he does a ton of damage compared to my other phys attackers.

Chie looks really good too though. I know she learns Power Charge naturally which is a huge plus for a phys character. She's good at landing crits AFAIK so that's another plus.

Laconic

Banned

Kanji is a great tank, yes.

But Chie is Iie, a mi.

Yosuke is kind of fun as a rogue off-tank, and my favorite for that spot. He hits fast, crits often, and carries decent skills.

wow dark and light skills are extremely useful in this game, probably the most useful it's been in all the SMT games I've played

finally got both teams together, wish the game would let me use 6 people, seeing an empty spot burns me up I tell ya.

Also is it good to use Zen/Rei? They don't have any personas but they still seem pretty damn useful with all their skills.

They have a decent set of skills, but they lack a lot when it comes to dealing damage. They're very much a Jack of all trades character and don't really excel at anything. I'm using them and they work well enough, but they do have downsides. Not being able to equip a sub Persona is a major disadvantage.

RDreamer

Came into some extra money (that crazy Best Buy trade in your old ass iPhone for a $100 gift card), so I was able to buy the big deluxe edition of this. Ran through the end of SMT IV and finished it today just so I could start this up and see what it's all about.

Never played an Etrian Odyssey, but I'm digging this so far. Love that the music and story and presentation is giving me huge Persona nostalgia vibes. The mapping system seems cool, too. I especially like that it's relieved me of my biggest annoyance coming from SMT IV. In that game you can't stand for even a second or two looking at your map trying to see where you're supposed to go. Here you can stand FOREVER! And make the map! That's cool.

Any tips or tricks for a noob to these type of things?

Few questions though, so far:

I haven't died so far, but what happens then? Do you have to restart? Do you keep the map so far? Do you keep items or exp?

How do you get more sub personas? I have a bunch now, but not enough to cover my whole team. How do I get new ones?

Came into some extra money (that crazy Best Buy trade in your old ass iPhone for a $100 gift card), so I was able to buy the big deluxe edition of this. Ran through the end of SMT IV and finished it today just so I could start this up and see what it's all about.

Never played an Etrian Odyssey, but I'm digging this so far. Love that the music and story and presentation is giving me huge Persona nostalgia vibes. The mapping system seems cool, too. I especially like that it's relieved me of my biggest annoyance coming from SMT IV. In that game you can't stand for even a second or two looking at your map trying to see where you're supposed to go. Here you can stand FOREVER! And make the map! That's cool.

Any tips or tricks for a noob to these type of things?

Few questions though, so far:

I haven't died so far, but what happens then? Do you have to restart? Do you keep the map so far? Do you keep items or exp?

How do you get more sub personas? I have a bunch now, but not enough to cover my whole team. How do I get new ones?

Dying sends you back to the title screen, but you have the option to save your map so far, which includes % completed.

You get more sub Personas by ending battles with characters in Boost state, the more in that state, the higher the odds. Some fights, like FOEs, seem guaranteed to give you a new Persona too.

spiritfox

Chie is awesome. Her sleep punch shuts down enemies like nobody's business, and she crits a lot, making Power Charge a freebie.

RDreamer

Are there like warp points in the dungeon to fast travel to? I realize opening up the shortcuts help, but should I be pressing on in a dungeon to get to some sort of warp point or stairs or something, or do I just use a Goho-M every time I need to leave?

Dying sends you back to the title screen, but you have the option to save your map so far, which includes % completed.

Oh, that's cool. So you just load up your game again, and the % completed stays the same? Cool.

You get more sub Personas by ending battles with characters in Boost state, the more in that state, the higher the odds. Some fights, like FOEs, seem guaranteed to give you a new Persona too.

Oh, that's cool. I didn't notice getting them to begin with, I guess. I'll pay more attention.

Thanks for the help.

Fandangox

Chie looks really good too though. I know she learns Power Charge naturally which is a huge plus for a phys character. She's good at landing crits AFAIK so that's another plus.

Chie is one of my 5 party members although she is the one I swap out the most. I gave her Oni as a sub-persona. She learned an ability that raises her critical hits, and power charge.

With that combination she did 350+ damage to
Elizabeth

You get them in the P3 route too.
I went into the Velvet Room harmlessly wanting to fuse some personas, then suddenly...

You basically get a poem every time you finish a dungeon.

So here is a question. Do FOEs respawn always? Never played EO and figurwd they would be gone once they were defeated. Seems like a long battle for not much exp.

All FOEs respawn every time you leave and re-enter a dungeon.

Hugstable

Banned
Kanji is a great tank, yes.

But Chie is Iie, a mi.

Yosuke is kind of fun as a rogue off-tank, and my favorite for that spot. He hits fast, crits often, and carries decent skills.

Alright so say my Party will be then

P4MC/Chie/Aigis
P3MC/Naoto

Who would be better for that physical spot, Chie or Kanji? I saw someone mention earlier about Kanji being a tank, and I wanted Aigis to be my tank, so I just put Chie more in that spot. Haven't really leveled up Chie at this point, so I'm gonna need to get her caught up.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

I agree with this.

I sort of had no choice in my.. err... choice.

You see, I haven't played P3 nor P4. My ps2 went bust towards the end of the gen and I didn't feel like buying another. I am sorta familiar with P4 from watching some of the giantbomb endurance run, so that's what I went with.

Top Bottom