• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth |OT| -- No Dating, Just Dungeons

Mr.Towel

Are there like warp points in the dungeon to fast travel to? I realize opening up the shortcuts help, but should I be pressing on in a dungeon to get to some sort of warp point or stairs or something, or do I just use a Goho-M every time I need to leave?

The only warp spots are before bosses, and you can only start at the entrance of the furthest floor you've gotten to in every dungeon after leaving. My strategy has generally been to push through the floor until I hit a shortcut then goho-m out to save/heal.

Just hit the 4th floor in the 2nd labyrinth. I'm liking the FOEs in this place
despite them being babies on a human on all fours with a horse head and wearing bondage gear?

This game's design is like the Etrian Odyssey dev team made a game but felt that they needed to be constantly on LSD while doing it.

I've been preoccupied by VC, then visiting the folks, and now D:OS, but the nods to P2 and the handling of Igor's seiyuu passing leaving Margaret 'n company runnin' thangs is meta as hell and great for it.

Finished up the second labyrinth, really enjoyed it as a whole. Ended up going with a party of:

P4MC/Aigis/Kanji
Naoto/Koromaru

Koro's cuteness was too much to resist- and his speed certainly doesn't hurt. I just wish he had some more SP at the moment. I've had to stick him in the back row since I didn't want to get rid of Kanji and Aigis (who I've got in the front because Swordbreaker is way too good), so there's not much he can do other than magic. Darkness is often great on random enemies, but he runs out of SP pretty quickly against bosses and ends up just using items.

Lusankya

She was really good in Golden too! She's definitely one of the best party members in this game alongside Aigis and the Persona 3 MC.

I put Aigis in my party as soon as I met the P3 team (sorry, Chie), but she kinda sucks at the moment. How should I properly use her and should I use the Orgia mode at all?

On halfway of floor 2, dungeon 2 and I'm feeling a bit burnt out. I really liked the first dungeon a lot but I'm not feeling dungeon 2 at all. :(

I put Aigis in my party as soon as I met the P3 team (sorry, Chie), but she kinda sucks at the moment. How should I properly use her and should I use the Orgia mode at all?

I usually just throw a phys subpersona on her, so right now I have a Setanta with Power Charge and a few attack skills.

But the real reason why Aigis is so good is because of her amazing defense. Once you level her up she gets a skill called Swordbreaker and it has a chance of making anyone in her row take less damage. She also has another ability that lets her take damage in place of teammates so if someone is low on HP you could just use that while someone heals. She basically helps everyone live longer and she has a super beefy defense but she has a pretty good attack stat too so she's alright as a physical attacker. Her only real problem is her lack of speed but you can use accessories to help.

Even though the game says she's better in the back, use her in the front.

I only use Orgia mode if I need to get rid of an ailment or bind honestly

ChrisD

I wouldn't say I'm burnt out already, but unlocking Stroll has me kind of wanting to play Persona 3 instead hahaha. Never played it before and seeing these characters interact in Stroll has me wanting more of that. Not that the gameplay here is no fun, mind you, but I want more S.Link. :p

On-topic game talk: These encounters in the second dungeon are crazy. Like jeez man, I know it's just because I need to get new armor but they deal more than the first boss.

Also curious on if using Aigis' Orgia mode is worth it.

Okay so I said in the community I would have waited for Friday to play it but FUCK THAT

Already started, P3 side, first dungeon, just completed the first floor, phew. So far I'm really liking this game and the interactions. I love how Akihiko is all "FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIIIIIIIIGHT!!" Also I don't remember Junpei calling Chidori "Chidorita" in P3, huh.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
This game's design is like the Etrian Odyssey dev team made a game but felt that they needed to be constantly on LSD while doing it.

Game's a higher budget than EO games for sure.

Actual character models instead of just portraits, scenes with the characters, more detail on monsters and dungeons...

BlackJace

Does it make sense to have a "reserve" squad, or are you all sticking with a set squad for the whole game?

Thinking about going with

Front: P4MC - Aigis - Akihiko
Back: Naoto - Yukari

for now.

OceanBlue

This game makes me want to revisit P3FES. It's been a while lol. It's too bad that P3 is missing so many conveniences and changes from P4G though.

If this game supports patching, as it seems to from the main menu, I hope they fix:

"Allies now has regenerating health!"

Lol, the other support skills say the same thing ("Allies's attack power increases!"). I wouldn't be surprised if both single-target and multi-target buffs trigger the same text event to occur, and the localizers decided it wasn't worth the effort changing the system and just decided on localizing the script.

Does it make sense to have a "reserve" squad, or are you all sticking with a set squad for the whole game?

Thinking about going with

Front: P4MC - Aigis - Akihiko
Back: Naoto - Yukari

for now.

I'm sticking with one squad for the entire game. I don't think the characters are different enough for me to invest a ton of time training extra characters, to be honest. Plus I'm playing on Hard instead of Risky so I can probably have some leeway. :p

Edit: That said I probably messed up by not using P3MC, since he gets a really good skill. I like the characters on my team though so I don't mind.

ramyeon

Naoto was stupid good in P4G, actually. She's only bad in the original game.
Yeah Naoto was ridiculous in Golden. Made an already easy version of P4 even easier. I love having her in my parties though, probably the only P4 character I'll be using in PQ.

I believe there's virtually no difference past the first dungeon besides which protagonist is fully voiced.

I can't compare to the P4 route, so I don't know exactly how different it is, but I am noticing a slight P3 bias when it comes to which side gets the most events and focus when playing on that side.

Ochi

Neo Member
8 hours, and I'm finally at the second dungeon....

Somehow I'm not surprised they made you wait until the first boss to get the rest of the cast

Ochi

Neo Member
I can't compare to the P4 route, so I don't know exactly how different it is, but I am noticing a slight P3 bias when it comes to which side gets the most events and focus when playing on that side.

Maybe it's to counteract the P4 bias in the Arena games? XD

That said, I started the first 20 minutes of the P4 route to see which I liked more, and the P4 route throws you into the first dungeon much much faster, whereas the P3 side builds up a lot of context for what happens beforehand.

Koriandrr

Okay, I just started the game, I'm on F3 in Wonderland. Loving it so far.

Just wanted to ask - how long approx is this game? Obviously it's meant to be replayed for the different events with the other leader, but I seriously don't have much time to spend, as much as I would love to take my time with this game... it seems rather time-consuming. I just spent like 2 hours chasing that rabbit last night, trying to corner it lol.

Okay, I just started the game, I'm on F3 in Wonderland. Loving it so far.

Just wanted to ask - how long approx is this game? Obviously it's meant to be replayed for the different events with the other leader, but I seriously don't have much time to spend, as much as I would love to take my time with this game... it seems rather time-consuming. I just spent like 2 hours chasing that rabbit last night, trying to corner it lol.

I'm part way through the fourth dungeon at 43 hours and I'm pretty sure I still have at least a dungeon and a half to go, although I don't know exactly how many dungeons there are total.

Lusankya

I usually just throw a phys subpersona on her, so right now I have a Setanta with Power Charge and a few attack skills.

But the real reason why Aigis is so good is because of her amazing defense. Once you level her up she gets a skill called Swordbreaker and it has a chance of making anyone in her row take less damage. She also has another ability that lets her take damage in place of teammates so if someone is low on HP you could just use that while someone heals. She basically helps everyone live longer and she has a super beefy defense but she has a pretty good attack stat too so she's alright as a physical attacker. Her only real problem is her lack of speed but you can use accessories to help.

Even though the game says she's better in the back, use her in the front.

I only use Orgia mode if I need to get rid of an ailment or bind honestly

Thank you. I actually just got a Setanta and will give him to her once her current Persona got all its skills.

Ourobolus

Banned
Still rocking the
P4MC / Akihiko / Kanji
Naoto / P3MC
team.

Halfway through the 3rd floor of the 2nd dungeon, roughly lv23. So much fun. I am super Zio-heavy, but I've finally managed to even out the elements a bit. And Naoto is amazing. Not as great for bosses, but I gave her some extra skills to give her something to do.

Around what level should I be at in order to start beating FOEs in dungeon 1?

I'm playing on Hard. They have so much HP, they just end up outlasting me.

I was roughly level 6 when I beat the ones on the first floor (on Risky). Just gotta abuse leader skills and boosts.

Only just got through the first labrynth last night and while im not entirely sold on the Etrian style to the dungeons and combat, the Persona fan service is more than making up for it. So many little touches that are just making me smile while playing.

Reordered my team last night but havent tested them out so wouldnt mind peoples opinions on:

P4 MC | Kanji | Mitsuru
Yukiko | Naoto

Busaiku

Alright, finally about to go.
Probably gonna do Normal, cause I'm scared of FOEs.

Can you change difficulties on the fly?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Decided to switch Yukiko out for Naoto.

.....having instant-kill attacks is SOOOOOO nice. And got her to level 4 after about 5 battles.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So playing on Normal, what's a good level to be prepared for the FOEs in the first dungeon? Aside from Naoto, everyone is at Lv. 8.

spiritfox

So playing on Normal, what's a good level to be prepared for the FOEs in the first dungeon? Aside from Naoto, everyone is at Lv. 8.

You should be able to kill them easily now.

The 3rd dungeon is killing my enthusiasm for the game.
Because it's freaking me OUT. I should stop playing at night.

Corgi

Banned
hmmm should I go back and finish P4G before this? beat p4 when it came out, and gotten pretty far in P4G (think was about to go do marie dungeon), but haven't touch that in years.

how are the difficulties for this? Never really could get into etrian odyssey stuff, mainly because of the difficulty (heard they streamlined those games a bunch though). Heck I could get into modern personas because they were a bit easier than your typical SMT.

spiritfox

hmmm should I go back and finish P4G before this? beat p4 when it came out, and gotten pretty far in P4G (think was about to go do marie dungeon), but haven't touch that in years.

how are the difficulties for this? Never really could get into etrian odyssey stuff, mainly because of the difficulty (heard they streamlined those games a bunch though). Heck I could get into modern personas because they were a bit easier than your typical SMT.

It's not that hard. If you have played Persona before Normal should be easy for you. You can change difficulties on the fly though (unless you're on Risky), so if it's too hard or easy you can switch to something else.

And yes, go finish P4G. After this game.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I've been playing on Normal w/ Auto-Map (but I'll make notes of doors, shortcuts, etc.) & I haven't played any EO games aside from Untold's demo. It's very doable for the most part as someone who's had little exposure to the series (though I'm a RPG fan as well). There was only one battle that I had issue with & that was because I was unprepared and chose to activate the battle/trap.

If you're having trouble, you can always lower the difficulty if you wish (unless you're playing on Risky, the hardest setting).

Only thing I dislike is choosing all the attacks beforehand as I'm just so used to choosing a party member's attack & having it happen instantly, but one could argue it adds strategy on if you should spread out your attacks or focus on one enemy.

Top Bottom