• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth |OT| -- No Dating, Just Dungeons

At the end of the second dungeon, I got
paired with Teddie. He was so excited :D

I got
Zen. He was kinda quiet and curious about what getting married is and how it's supposed to work. And he assumed the selection was a trap to separate him from Rei.

Is it possible to get every single party member?

I've just got to the third dungeon and I've only JUST realised Ken has a new voice actor. Or does he? He sounds very similar, but...different. His S's don't sound the same and he sounds like Cindy Robinson, but I never found out for sure who voices Ken in the first place. Could just be different delivery.
Yes, it's a different VA to Persona 3, but the same as in Ultimax.

Setsu00

I got
Zen. He was kinda quiet and curious about what getting married is and how it's supposed to work. And he assumed the selection was a trap to separate him from Rei.

Is it possible to get every single party member?

I think it's possible to get every named character save for boss characters in the game since I got Theodore.

Xenoflare

I've just got to the third dungeon and I've only JUST realised Ken has a new voice actor. Or does he? He sounds very similar, but...different. His S's don't sound the same and he sounds like Cindy Robinson, but I never found out for sure who voices Ken in the first place. Could just be different delivery.

If you watch Ken's PQ English trailer, the first sentence where he introduce himself sounded exactly like Labrys.

Zareka

Yes, it's a different VA to Persona 3, but the same as in Ultimax.

If you watch Ken's PQ English trailer, the first sentence where he introduce himself sounded exactly like Labrys.
Woah, I didn't notice it in Ultimax either. I knew it was different, but I out that down to him being older. I haven't watched any of the trailers either since I was going in blind.

I don't really like VA changes, but I guess I can't complain if I didn't even notice till now. :p

Holy crap this third dungeon. (Early spoilers)
That baby genuinely frightened me.

Sera O

Banned
I've really been enjoying this game so far. I'm playing on hard and wrapped the second dungeon last night. Getting to the end of the dungeon goukon event and slowly realizing
the destined partner of P3 MC was going to be Kanji
made me laugh. My favorite character in the party at the time. As I was going through the question rooms,
I actually thought they would alter the boss rather than choose who to fake-marry. It's cool though - Kanji has been tripling my party's damage with bestial roar and double link. That's the kind of gal you put a ring on.

I kind of wish I'd started off with the P4 side. I'm more curious about the P3 MC. I thought of him as a space cadet with slightly shady tendencies, but there wasn't much to go on. It's so nice to play a new-school Persona related game with great dungeons. The puzzles involving FOEs so far are fun. I have this issue where I can't move past a floor before getting 100%.

It surprised me it's persona/item inventory getting full that makes me escape the dungeon. Usually it would be SP depletion - but though the party complains about energy, they never actually seem to run out. I hit every SP damage floor I see, but they still go into battle with enough to get a skill or two off. Physical element attacks are practically free with Fuuka's regen, and link skills are really efficient - it's always the constant prompts to delete personas/items that drive me out.

Questions - does the level of the navi personas matter at all? If not, I can't see myself bothering to fuse those up anymore until better skills appear - I'd have to give an orb buff up in fusion. Do more persona slots become available?

abrack08

He does have a new VA. Original Ken was Mona Marshall. This Ken is almost definitely Labrys without the accent (aka Cindy Robinson).

Hugstable

Banned
Chapter 1 Floor 3 Spoilers**

That scene where they drink the shrinking potion at the door was hilarious. Really like how they are tying themes of Alice in Wonderland into these dungeons through design and puzzles

Firestar

The characters act for the most part are pretty good imo (not akihiko), but Junpei calling Chidori "Chidorita" is getting on my nerves after the first time. Kind of ruins any conversation where he brings her up to me.

Seriously loving all the puzzles though. Very pleased with this game

Up to the third floor of the first dungeon. I'm reaaaally loving the interactions.And oh my god do I love Akihiko even more than before. Rei and Zen are better characters than I expected. So far my team is P3MC, Aki, Shinji, Yukatan and Rei&Zen, and thanks to the Sub-Personas, I'm stomping through enemies!

In which level should I be to confront the boss? And the FOEs from the previous floors?

Playing in Hard or better is best. Those who ain't are missing out on that Etrian Goodness.

The Boost system is really, really neat; been getting to dabble in alot of brand new battle experiments that go off wonderfully and it's neat.

I don't think some characters are Flanderized in this (outside of Akihito CAN'T THIS GUY CATCH A BREAK!?!?), but there are some dropped balls in terms of how it was done. Example: Chie could say "Oh, a treasure chest; I guess it's too much to ask that it's a filet mignon, huh?" and it set off a conversation. What was there was too...flat.

The color choices for icons is brilliant, but I DON'T like the nomenclature for icons; it's boxing in minds.

and "Rei and Zen is dead"

I still say one's the other's persona or some shit.

It's weird how Q has better dungeons and UI than its parent games.

I'd say it's the fact that the focus is the dungeons, strictly speaking, in Q. The mainline Persona games have to balance a lot of other complex systems. I honestly have enough room in my heart for both Persona experiences. I'd love a new Q game with an entirely different cast, or the P2 roster.

Xenoflare

He does have a new VA. Original Ken was Mona Marshall. This Ken is almost definitely Labrys without the accent (aka Cindy Robinson).

Did Mona Marshall ever verified that? I have seen other sources saying that he's voiced by Brianne Siddall in P3

OceanBlue

In which level should I be to confront the boss? And the FOEs from the previous floors?

Depending on your skills, you could probably do it after level 10. If you aren't confident, you can try fighting the FOEs on the first floor pretty early. IMO, the difficulty is something like Painter FOEs (last floor) > Boss >>> Card FOEs (first few floors).

Post-Dungeon 2 spoilers:
Someone needs to do a dialogue dump of all of that. I'd love to see how all the different characters react.

You can redo it. Just enter the dungeon from the entrance. There's even a guide here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/739685-persona-q-shadow-of-the-labyrinth/70676810

Busaiku

Haha, what the heck, the Persona Q 3DS XL isn't even listed on the Club Nintendo selection.
They have the NES 3DS XL, but not this.

Zareka

I've not binged a game like this without burning myself out completely in a long time. In fact, the last time this happened was probably Persona 3.

Man I love this series. So so glad I decided to pick up P3P in that Gamestop a couple years back instead of Pokemon or something.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
OH GOD WHAT THE HELL IS THIS GIANT BEETLE, AND WHY IS HE GETTING TWO TURNS IN A ROW TO 1-HIT KO MY MEMBERS GAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

Depending on your skills, you could probably do it after level 10. If you aren't confident, you can try fighting the FOEs on the first floor pretty early. IMO, the difficulty is something like Painter FOEs (last floor) > Boss >>> Card FOEs (first few floors).
Gotcha!
OH GOD WHAT THE HELL IS THIS GIANT BEETLE, AND WHY IS HE GETTING TWO TURNS IN A ROW TO 1-HIT KO MY MEMBERS GAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH
Are you talking about the one in the third floor of the first dungeon? Because if so, I find it kinda easy to beat. With P3MC I use Poisma (which is like 125 damage per turn), with Akihiko and Zen&Rei I use an Ice spell (which either stuns him or resorts into a follow attack/AllOutAttack), with Shinjiro I use Teardrop which usually crits and also lowers defense, and Yukari lowers its guard with Tarunda. Try finding Sub-Personas with those skills.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Are you talking about the one in the third floor of the first dungeon? Because if so, I find it kinda easy to beat. With P3MC I use Poisma (which is like 125 damage per turn), with Akihiko and Zen&Rei I use an Ice spell (which either stuns him or resorts into a follow attack/AllOutAttack), with Shinjiro I use Teardrop which usually crits and also lowers defense, and Yukari lowers its guard with Tarunda. Try finding Sub-Personas with those skills.
I didn't even get a chance to try out the spells because he would basically take out one of my members in one turn. I'm still at Lv 8 with most of my party members. & don't think I have any personas that has Poisma or Tarunda. Also playing with the P4 cast.

Edit: GOOOODDDDDDD, this is exactly why I hate having to select every member's attack before they actually perform it. 2 members are KO'd in the front, well okay, I'll have Kanji & Naoto revive them, then Rei/Zen can use recovery NAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH REI & ZEN GO FIRST MAKING THAT PLAN USELESS NOW HOW ABOUT A FOE TO APPEAR IN BATTLE TO MAKE ALL THAT HEALING AND USING YOUR ITEMS COMPLETELY USELESS & TIME TO GO BACK TO THE NURSE'S OFFICE MAKING YOUR TRAVELS MEANINGLESS AS WELL

OceanBlue

Ok, floor 3 for the ghost dungeon, holy shit. I need halp

Never mind I figured it out.

This is what I liked about the ghost dungeon. There were a lot of puzzles which forced me to try and think about the solution in different ways. I feel like the puzzles were at the right difficulty where you had to stop and reconsider, but not too hard that you couldn't figure out after thinking about it for a moment.

I didn't even get a chance to try out the spells because he would basically take out one of my members in one turn. I'm still at Lv 8 with most of my party members. & don't think I have any personas that has Poisma or Tarunda. Also playing with the P4 cast.
Hmm, maybe it's because of the parties we're using then, since I have been able to defeat it since level 7. By the way, Slime has Poisma (AND Endure!) while the Agathion I have on Yukari has Tarunda, but I'm pretty sure there are other Personae who have it as well.
How soon do we unlock the ability to Streetpass?
Is it there from the getgo (still haven't started...)?
If I remember right you unlock it after arriving to the third floor, along with Velvet Room access.

pariah164

Thank you, based UPS.

eO2dKr5.jpg

dTQMsb4.jpg

ziFtLCP.jpg
Can't actually play with them till Christmas, but they are here at least. Wait was torture.

Meia

Edit: GOOOODDDDDDD, this is exactly why I hate having to select every member's attack before they actually perform it. 2 members are KO'd in the front, well okay, I'll have Kanji & Naoto revive them, then Rei/Zen can use recovery NAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH REI & ZEN GO FIRST MAKING THAT PLAN USELESS NOW HOW ABOUT A FOE TO APPEAR IN BATTLE TO MAKE ALL THAT HEALING AND USING YOUR ITEMS COMPLETELY USELESS & TIME TO GO BACK TO THE NURSE'S OFFICE MAKING YOUR TRAVELS MEANINGLESS AS WELL

The best advice I can give to you at first with them is you have a near 100% chance to escape from them if you run into one. I don't recall "escape" failing, even once against them. Of course, unless you're using Spotlight on Rise so one of your characters can go before it, it will go first and hit you twice.

That fight only really gets easier on the P4 side when you get the best armor for the dungeon, which you really won't have access to until you're almost done with the floor and higher in level anyway.

abrack08

Did Mona Marshall ever verified that? I have seen other sources saying that he's voiced by Brianne Siddall in P3

You might be right, I was going by what it says on Behind the Voice Actors, I think it might have changed the past year or so when I checked before. I listened to some clips and he does sound like Brianne Siddall. Could be either one, but I think I'm leaning Brianne now.

But either way... I'm 99% sure it's Cindy Robinson now.

OceanBlue

Oh, I knew you can redo it. It's just that doing that for every member of the cast would take an eternity.

The guide is neat, though. Thanks for linking it!
Yeah I hope they show up on YouTube. I don't want to have to play the game again to see the other MC's dialogue. I chose the P4MC but I want to see how the P3 characters react to the P3MC.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The best advice I can give to you at first with them is you have a near 100% chance to escape from them if you run into one. I don't recall "escape" failing, even once against them. Of course, unless you're using Spotlight on Rise so one of your characters can go before it, it will go first and hit you twice.
ESCAPE FAILED ON ALL CHARACTERS. I lost Naoto, so I tried escaping BUT NOPE TOOK OUT EVERYONE GAME OVER A GOOD HOUR LOST.

Like jesus christ, I was enjoying the difficulty of the game so far but all of a sudden the 3rd floor is just frustrating, & this is on NORMAL.

ESCAPE FAILED ON ALL CHARACTERS. I lost Naoto, so I tried escaping BUT NOPE TOOK OUT EVERYONE GAME OVER A GOOD HOUR LOST.

Like jesus christ, I was enjoying the difficulty of the game so far but all of a sudden the 3rd floor is just frustrating, & this is on NORMAL.
I suggest putting Koropokkur as a Sub-persona for your navigator, since it has Sutakora Foot which lets you escape from battle and teleport you into the floor entrance.

Also that should remind everyone to choose the P3 side over the P4 side :p

Normal? that sounds like you're awfully under leveled or you're doing something wrong, I'm playing in Hard and they did hit hard but not THAT hard.

I played P3 route, and Aigis being a wall + Fukka helped a lot.

Laconic

Banned
I suggest putting Koropokkur as a Sub-persona for your navigator, since it has Sutakora Foot which lets you escape from battle and teleport you into the floor entrance.

Also that should remind everyone to choose the P3 side over the P4 side :p

P4 side has it rough, starting out. Real talk. It took lots of luck, Poisma, and a level 12 Yu for me to finally smack the crown off of the queen.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Normal? that sounds like you're awfully under leveled or you're doing something wrong, I'm playing in Hard and they did hit hard but not THAT hard.
My team is P4MC/Kanji/Chie in front, Naoto/Reizen in back. Everyone is just about at Lv 9 with Naoto at 6 since I switched her out later from hearing good things in here.

What's weird is that sometimes, the battles AREN'T BAD. Like right now, I got lucky with being able to stun them. But then another time, it goes awful. I guess it's based on luck....

My team is P4MC/Kanji/Chie in front, Naoto/Reizen in back. Everyone is just about at Lv 9 with Naoto at 6 since I switched her out later from hearing good things in here.

I played P3 route and Fukka's healing is awesome, also Aigis being an amazing wall.

Your team seems pretty balanced so maybe just level up a bit, I was level 12 when I defeated the boss so you don't sound that underleveled. Get the best equips you can get and fuse some personas, any extra hp/sp helps.

I've really been enjoying this game so far. I'm playing on hard and wrapped the second dungeon last night. Getting to the end of the dungeon goukon event and slowly realizing
the destined partner of P3 MC was going to be Kanji
made me laugh. My favorite character in the party at the time. As I was going through the question rooms,
I actually thought they would alter the boss rather than choose who to fake-marry. It's cool though - Kanji has been tripling my party's damage with bestial roar and double link. That's the kind of gal you put a ring on.

I kind of wish I'd started off with the P4 side. I'm more curious about the P3 MC. I thought of him as a space cadet with slightly shady tendencies, but there wasn't much to go on. It's so nice to play a new-school Persona related game with great dungeons. The puzzles involving FOEs so far are fun. I have this issue where I can't move past a floor before getting 100%.

It surprised me it's persona/item inventory getting full that makes me escape the dungeon. Usually it would be SP depletion - but though the party complains about energy, they never actually seem to run out. I hit every SP damage floor I see, but they still go into battle with enough to get a skill or two off. Physical element attacks are practically free with Fuuka's regen, and link skills are really efficient - it's always the constant prompts to delete personas/items that drive me out.

Questions - does the level of the navi personas matter at all? If not, I can't see myself bothering to fuse those up anymore until better skills appear - I'd have to give an orb buff up in fusion. Do more persona slots become available?

Level of navi persona has no direct effect on battle. And you never get more persona slots either.

Top Bottom