• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth |OT| -- No Dating, Just Dungeons

OceanBlue

My team is P4MC/Kanji/Chie in front, Naoto/Reizen in back. Everyone is just about at Lv 9 with Naoto at 6 since I switched her out later from hearing good things in here.

What's weird is that sometimes, the battles AREN'T BAD. Like right now, I got lucky with being able to stun them. But then another time, it goes awful. I guess it's based on luck....

Do you have any debuffing moves? MiguelMexMistery mentioned Tarunda and Poisma, but there are also skills like Disarm and Pulinpa which you can also use to make the battle easier. You could always spend a turn defending with everyone but the person you're using to debuff lol. When I first fought the beetle the only way I'd survive was by ending all of my turns with Sleeper Punch and defending with the characters that might wake him up. :<

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Your team seems pretty balanced so maybe just level up a bit, I was level 12 when I defeated the boss so you don't sound that underleveled. Get the best equips you can get and fuse some personas, any extra hp/sp helps.
I probably should fuse some new personas now that I'm a bit higher and got some new ones to use.

Do you have any debuffing moves? MiguelMexMistery mentioned Tarunda and Poisma, but there are also skills like Disarm and Pulinpa which you can also use to make the battle easier. You could always spend a turn defending with everyone but the person you're using to debuff lol. When I first fought the beetle the only way I'd survive was by ending all of my turns with Sleeper Punch and defending with the characters that might wake him up. :<
I seem to have Sleeper Punch (though I hate using HP costing moves) & Stun Circle on Chie, but otherwise, it's just removing binds or status ailments (Pure Memento should provide useful on a future boss) or making me stronger. I'll keep this in mind when I make new personas.

Hugstable

Banned
That first boss, my goodness. I can't believe I just finished that alive, I thought my run would surely end in disaster. I survived with Yu and Zen and Rei left alive, both no MP and down to 30 hp as I was spamming attacks in the end just trying to off that last sliver of health. What a feeling, GAME OF THE FUCKING YEAR

Mr.Towel

I seem to have Sleeper Punch (though I hate using HP costing moves) & Stun Circle on Chie, but otherwise, it's just removing binds or status ailments (Pure Memento should provide useful on a future boss) or making me stronger. I'll keep this in mind when I make new personas.

That's something I think you'll have to get over, HP-using attacks seem much more prominent and useful than in 3 or 4.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
That first boss, my goodness. I can't believe I just finished that alive, I thought my run would surely end in disaster. I survived with Yu and Zen and Rei left alive, both no MP and down to 30 hp as I was spamming attacks in the end just trying to off that last sliver of health. What a feeling, GAME OF THE FUCKING YEAR

Sounds like etrian odyssey.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
That's something I think you'll have to get over, HP-using attacks seem much more prominent and useful than in 3 or 4.
But why use an attack that HURTS me when I'm attacking enemies to make sure I don't get hurt & stay alive? What if I used an attack that costs me HP, only for it to not kill the enemy & then it results in my character dying because of it?

It just seemed so counter-productive to me in P3 & P4. Heck I beat P4G without ever using them.

spiritfox

But why use an attack that HURTS me when I'm attacking enemies to make sure I don't get hurt & stay alive? What if I used an attack that costs me HP, only for it to not kill the enemy & then it results in my character dying because of it?

It just seemed so counter-productive to me in P3 & P4. Heck I beat P4G without ever using them.

With so many ways to regenerate HP, I rather use HP based moves than SP based moves if I can. Plus, enemies can't kill you if you kill the first :p

Seda

HP is much easier to regain than SP

OceanBlue

Think of it as an investment that pays off by making the battle shorter and giving the enemy less turns to hit you. The damage enemies can do to you in a single turn is so much higher than the HP cost of most moves that people have at their level that it's worth taking away enemy turns. It's also reliable (you choose who takes damage and when it happens) so it's easier to plan heals around it.

With so many ways to regenerate HP, I rather use HP based moves than SP based moves if I can. Plus, enemies can't kill you if you kill the first :p

Lol basically this.

believe me, HP moves are fucking AMAZING in PQ.

arue

This is why some people find the P3 side easier. Fuuka has a navi skill that heals you after every turn and I never have a problem with HP-based skills because of this. Since you started with P4 side, I understand that HP-based skills can be quiet hard to use.

Echoing many others above me, I'd say there is nothing wrong with them because you can heal HP much easier than SP.

Laconic

Banned
Pure levels aren't as important as skills or stat gains

Kaguya get's an ability that nulls damage for 3 turns, so it's quite broken

Huh.

I never leveled it past its initial level of 16, so I never even used that ability.

I just put her on Yukiko for the 3rd floor of the 1st dungeon, and the boss right after, due to the huge SP boost.

Laconic

Banned
My team is P4MC/Kanji/Chie in front, Naoto/Reizen in back. Everyone is just about at Lv 9 with Naoto at 6 since I switched her out later from hearing good things in here.

What's weird is that sometimes, the battles AREN'T BAD. Like right now, I got lucky with being able to stun them. But then another time, it goes awful. I guess it's based on luck....

I am about to start a new game, and see just how much easier the damned thing is with the P3 cast.

Fuuka sounds like she breaks the game wide open, compared to Rise.

Yukari is better than Yukiko with heals.

And P3MC covers the whole Naoto angle, so yeah.

OceanBlue

believe me, HP moves are fucking AMAZING in PQ.

Lol yeah it's kinda ridiculous how strong HP moves are compared to SP moves for their cost. Healing SP moves are so much cheaper than damage SP moves that I find it hard to justify using SP for damage most of the time.

I am about to start a new game, and see just much easier the damned thing is with the P3 cast.

Fuuka sounds like she breaks the game wide open, compared to Rise.

Yukari is better than Yukiko with heals.

And P3MC covers the whole Naoto angle, so yeah.

Beginning seems a lot easier with Fuuka. Rise isn't as useful until your characters can make a huge difference with a single turn, and everything is expensive early so free healing is useful.

Xenoflare

I probably should fuse some new personas now that I'm a bit higher and got some new ones to use.

Oh trust me, SP skills are way to costly to use, coupled with Fuuka's 1 leader point healing skill using HP skills is much more efficient.

I mean, Garula costs 28sp, let's think about that, Megido costs 54.

This game is extremely biased towards physical attacks and thus HP skills, since there are elemental physical attacks too. Like Fire+cut, Lightning+Bash etc.

Magic is practically useless. Sans healing and support Hama/Mudo. This is one of my main gripes for PQ. Seriously, magic skills means nothing.

Laconic

Banned
Lol yeah it's kinda ridiculous how strong HP moves are compared to SP moves for their cost. Healing SP moves are so much cheaper than damage SP moves that it's hard to justify using them most of the time.

This really is a bone that sticks in my craw, design-wise.

I actually despise it, in practice.

If the rest of the game weren't so engaging, I'd probably have already shelved it again, and started up Ruby instead.

Xenoflare

This really is a bone that sticks in my craw, design-wise.

I actually despise it, in practice.

If the rest of the game weren't so engaging, I'd probably have already shelved it again, and started up Ruby instead.

Maybe SMT IV's MP costing physical skills aren't so bad, but then again the sp cost in that game is a hell lot more balanced than PQ.

Even with boost and Mind Charge, your SP pool is still pitiful no matter how much you stack up due to the costs.

Laconic

Banned
Maybe SMT IV's MP costing physical skills aren't so bad, but then again the sp cost in that game is a hell lot more balanced than PQ.

Even with boost and Mind Charge, your SP pool is still pitiful no matter how much you stack up due to the costs.

Agreed 100%.

On a side note, I would go crazy for a legit (NOT a modern Japanese style) Wizardry type of dungeon crawling game on the 3DS.

6-8 person parties, unique legendary items, an immense level of customization, traits, and spells... *drool*

Xenoflare

Agreed 100%.

On a side note, I would go crazy for a legit (NOT a modern Japanese style) Wizardry type of dungeon crawling game on the 3DS.

6-8 person parties, unique legendary items, an immense level of customization, traits, and spells... *drool*

Oh, that reminded me, physical skills can crit, thus it's the only way to gain a boost status if you are facing enemies with no weaknesses.

Seriously who thought giving magic with that much sp cost a good idea.

It lacks damage output, cannot crit, high cost, and does not have a 100% hit rate.

Seda

Later in the game, I found that I had a ton of spare cash, and buying Chewing Souls (refill 100 SP) was suitable enough to have some mage characters use spells fairly regularly (that plus some high level Sub-persona with large SP pools)

OceanBlue

Later in the game, I found that I had a ton of spare cash, and buying Chewing Souls (refill 100 SP) was suitable enough to have some mage characters use spells fairly regularly (that plus some high level Sub-persona with large SP pools)

Lol I can't wait until I have tons of money to spend. All of it goes towards distributing moves using the compendium and getting Skill Cards. I want Yukari and Naoto to feel more impactful instead of just being healers/support. :<

Xenoflare

Ohh boy.

That purple doll FOE that moves two steps every step, trying to beat it? LOL P3MC is weak to darkness

Mamudoon

Oh and it actually knows Diarahan. Fuck this FOE.

PK Gaming

Heh, looking forward to being able do to that myself.

Incidentally, this is exactly what I did in Persona 2:Innocent Sin. The prime personas were really strong, but the SP costs were ludicrous, haha.

spiritfox

I find elemental SP moves easier to get than HP moves, plus of course Hama and Mudo is powerful here. But HP moves are just so much better in this game.

Eblo

I walk into the Velvet Room and get bombarded with more melodramatic poetry.

What did I do to you, Atlus?

Seda

I find elemental SP moves easier to get than HP moves, plus of course Hama and Mudo is powerful here. But HP moves are just so much better in this game.

The one skill that I found by far the most useful in the game was
Death Counter.

Akihiko basically murdered the final boss using this, among many other baddies.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
FINALLY finished the first dungeon. Unlocked the P4 cast. Now to add Seta to Minato's party lineup and ignore most of the rest of the cast
Especially Chie.
while team Protagonist+ShotaAndDog
Maybe Shinji replacing one of these two
+BeefCakeBoxer finish the story for me.

The one skill that I found by far the most useful in the game was
Death Counter.

OH MY GOD. YES. Akihiko had that and Yukari had Posumudi = gg first boss.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Aw yeah, P3 characters FINALLY appeared, & complete with BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY.

Hugstable

Banned
Aw yeah, P3 characters FINALLY appeared, & complete with BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY.

You're playing P4 side? That scene was so hype!
Best part is it continues into the battle right before the boss. Headphones got cranked up for that

EDIT: I'm loving all these scenes after the first dungeon, this is truly some great stuff!

Xenoflare

Fuck.

I didn't realize that the 4th floor of the 3rd dungeon have 2 staircases that goes up.

Fuck fuck fuck

Now I have go through the fucking FOE again.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wow, I JUST BARELY made it through the first boss battle. Revived Chie just in time for her to get XP for winning the battle.

I must say, P3 MC's voice is rather fitting.

OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOD!!

I was at the puzzle of chapter 3 where there are 3 FOEs and you need to lure the one from the north, but since I failed after so many times, and the only way to return was from going all the way back, I said to myself "FUCK THAT" and I confronted a FOE a-and and I defeated it!!

It feels soooo satisfying, specially since I literally had no SP during the last part of the battle and I relied on some medicines + Fuuka's ability, and the best part of it was having crits with physical attacks! I normally hated those during P3 and P4 because I hated wasting my HP, but man they're amazing! Specially since P3MC did a crit, then Shinji another + lower defense, then Zei&Ren another one + curse status!

I obtained a Raiju level 12 + 5053 exp + Painted Card!

Top Bottom