• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth |OT| -- No Dating, Just Dungeons

Hugstable

Banned
Wow, I JUST BARELY made it through the first boss battle. Revived Chie just in time for her to get XP for winning the battle.

I must say, P3 MC's voice is rather fitting.

My Chie didn't make it through the fight, she did most of the damage for me, but I ran out of revival beads at the end there. That first boss fight was so thrilling near the end.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Oh wow. These side-quests. LMAO.
Zen and Teddie's "trade off"/barter contest and Teddie obviously cheats with a bear-fur Cotton Candy stick.

Gotta check the other "strolls" out before going into the second labyrinth.

I'm also not sure how to do the fusions since (AFAIK) the Persona results don't show the new Persona's weaknesses to know if it'll help/hinder on a character's main Persona weaknesses.

spiritfox

Subpersons don't affect resists and weaknesses unless they have the specific skills to raise resistance, unlike in the mainline games.

I'm also not sure how to do the fusions since (AFAIK) the Persona results don't show the new Persona's weaknesses to know if it'll help/hinder on a character's main Persona weaknesses.

They don't affect the character's elemental resistances and weaknesses anymore.

Just played for about 7 hours straight and finished the first dungeon. I'm actually finding this rather exhausting to play, going through the dungeons and fighting enemies just feels like a chore. I get the feeling that I'll probably just end up putting the difficulty down to safety for good at some point and just breeze through the rest.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
They don't affect the character's elemental resistances and weaknesses anymore.

Oh, really? So what is the point of fusions then? I already have two decent skills
Death Counter + Poison
which seem decent enough to use on bosses. Leaving the elements I only need to cover with a sub-Persona for the party.

spiritfox

Oh, really? So what is the point of fusions then? I already have two decent skills
Death Counter + Poison
which seem decent enough to use on bosses. Leaving the elements I only need to cover with a sub-Persona for the party.

Higher lvl subs give more HP and SP, and lvling Personas give you diminishing returns the higher you go. Plus better skills of course.

Soulflarz

Banned
Hard mobs or annoying FOEs or what? I'm not sure if I want to jump in to Dungeon 3 or just start playing something else right now.

Just...dull. the enemies have high evasion, more of the same. I think my issue is nothing makes it stick out, I see why people are randomly burning out here.

spiritfox

The puzzles in the 3rd labyrinth are interesting and the atmosphere is great... If you like that sort of thing. I like it despite not a being good with
horror

Seda

I preferred the third dungeon to the second. Aesthetically, thematically, appreciable bump in challenge, better incorporation of puzzles - some of which were a little tedious but overall still better than simply going from staircase to staircase.

OceanBlue

I love dungeon 3. The puzzles are fun and the atmosphere is nice. I'm not really into horror either but I like the horror setting. As a whole it was my favorite dungeon that far in, even though it didn't have the same amount of conversations as the second.

Sakura

The thing I don't really like is the running out of room for items mid dungeon. What's the point in having regenerating SP and HP thanks to sub-persona's after battle, if I have to keep leaving and coming back to get rid of my shit? If I still have full health and SP I want to keep exploring but noooo~
Though I guess it prevents me from wiping and losing 2 hours or something because I save every time I go back.

PK Gaming

Here's a small tip for those who are struggling against Corrosion enemies.

He P4 protagonist's Dekunda ability can cancel all corrosion spells. Purifying salts also work as well.

Frosteey

Neo Member
Going back to base and then getting back to where you are takes 100 gold and like maybe three fights at the absolute most.

Ochi

Neo Member
General enemy spoilers for the game :
Are really ALL the ennemies in the game weak to Hama/Mudo ? It's kind of spoiling the challenge imho :/

Not all of them are weak to hama/mudo, but very few seem to have resist or repel or null for that element, meaning hama and mudo are pretty strong, but in the early goings those spells cost more SP to cast than normal spells and have a higher chance to miss, so I guess that''s the trade off...

Totakeke

The 3rd labyrinth is great.

The 4th labyrinth...

97SDHcu.jpg

The puzzles are breaking me. Not that it's a bad thing mind you.

On the other hand I'm finally down to 6 usable personas since the start of the game after going through and getting all the skill cards for the 2nd level ma- spells.

Totakeke

I'm not sure whether it's intentional design or not, but none of the FOEs are impossible when you meet them... which opens up the avenue of just killing them to bypass puzzles. Granted some of them are now very hard without the right team, but it's possible to build a FOE killing team to bypass puzzles.

...yeah labyrinth 4 puzzles are mean.

Sakura

I'm not sure whether it's intentional design or not, but none of the FOEs are impossible when you meet them... which opens up the avenue of just killing them to bypass puzzles. Granted some of them are now very hard without the right team, but it's possible to build a FOE killing team to bypass puzzles.

...yeah labyrinth 4 puzzles are mean.

Yea when I was in the 4th floor of dungeon 2, I accidentally ran into one of those FOE's that move towards you when you move (you know what I mean) and I was like oh shit I'm screwed, but really it was such a push over. Just blocked it's physical moves, then let poison do all the work while my team just hung out.

Guys, dungeon 3, floor 2 help:

I've turned on the lights and found the Lab Storage key, but I don't seem to be able to go anywhere else. The Lab Storage west side is blocked by an FOE that follows me around. Do I have to kill it to advance or what?

Xenoflare

Yea when I was in the 4th floor of dungeon 2, I accidentally ran into one of those FOE's that move towards you when you move (you know what I mean) and I was like oh shit I'm screwed, but really it was such a push over. Just blocked it's physical moves, then let poison do all the work while my team just hung out.

I think all of the FOEs I encountered has some sort of weakness to them. I never played EO that much (have EOU but never really touched it), so once I get the boosts rolling it's not that hard.

However I am usually drained of SP after a FOE fight, so I'd usually go back and heal, and then they respawn.

The reward is also a curse.... Having a stack of high level personas means no fusion is possible, the exp you gain from the fights is not that much too.

OceanBlue

Guys, dungeon 3, floor 2 help:

I've turned on the lights and found the Lab Storage key, but I don't seem to be able to go anywhere else. The Lab Storage west side is blocked by an FOE that follows me around. Do I have to kill it to advance or what?

You don't ever have to kill any FOEs in dungeon 3.

goblin

So, what did I miss then? I can't find any other paths.

Edit: Muscled my way past the damn thing and
found the South Building key. Not sure how you're actually supposed to get around that FOE.

Are you talking about the rectangular room at grid C2?
Did you flip the fusebox in B2? That turns on lights in the storage room. The baby FOE treats lit squares as though they're solid and won't walk through them. From the spot where you trigger the FOE move clockwise around the light in the square east of you: N, E, E, S, S, W, W, N, W.

DKL

You don't ever have to kill any FOEs in dungeon 3.

I killed one because I initially thought
I had to do it for a request

That battle was kind of super RNG because of its
paralysis attack that hits everyone... was too lazy to setup someone with with me patra and null paralysis.

But yeah, it wasn't worth it: EXP gain was kind of ass and the armor from the harvested material initially seems nice, but I'm still puzzled why this one enemy that hits the back and front rows is doing more damage to the back row equipped with the new armor.

That said, overall, I'm liking the 3rd labyrinth encounters a lot better since I'm actually still optimizing the encounters as opposed to using just one strategy over and over again like I was in the 2nd labyrinth.

If things go right, I should win each encounter in two turns (EDIT: actually, now that I think about it, maybe 3)... but it's not consistent so far because I'm sort of relying on RNG since
confuse magic seems to work somewhat well against enemies

Also, the rare P4 main sword I have is funny because
it does not actually seal magic consistently in this level anymore despite the fact that it has a super magic seal rating... so using it is kind of out.

Are you talking about the rectangular room at grid C2?
Did you flip the fusebox in B2? That turns on lights in the storage room. The baby FOE treats lit squares as though they're solid and won't walk through them. From the spot where you trigger the FOE move clockwise around the light in the square east of you: N, E, E, S, S, W, W, N, W.

I tried luring it to the lights, but I guess I missed that it wasn't actually going through them. Thanks!

goblin

The reward is also a curse.... Having a stack of high level personas means no fusion is possible, the exp you gain from the fights is not that much too.

Early on I would sometimes go get a low-level persona to fuse them with, either by pulling from the compendium or dropping back to a previous area.

Later, though, I often (mechanics spoiler)
used them as sacrifices to quickly level personas I was using, wanted to fuse with more skills, or wanted skill cards from.

Oxx

I bought the game yesterday.

I've played the demos for EOIV and EOU, and watched 100 episodes of the Giant Bomb P4 Endurance Run. I'm totally prepared, right?

GeekyDad

Twenty hours in, only just now finishing up the second labyrinth, addicted. Not sure how people are finding this exhausting. I'm doing all of the requests, conversations -- can't get enough. Fusion, etc...

Lombax

Banned
I turned on auto mapping last night, and that was just a fantastic decision. I'm only about 2h in and 100% on the first floor of Wonderland, but this is a fantastic Persona game!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hmmmmm, so not sure which P3 characters to put into my party (just glad they're all at Lv 12), so I figured:

Front: P4MC / Mitsuru
Back: Naoto/Aigis/Reizen

Game says Aigis is better in the back, but I've heard she's a HP sponge, so maybe put her in the front?

Sera O

Banned
The one skill that I found by far the most useful in the game was
Death Counter.

Akihiko basically murdered the final boss using this, among many other baddies.

Yeah, when resources were scarce I kept going back to
ally 1 pain-eating, ally 2 with attack buffed death-counter in the same row, and ally 3 in the back doling out heal stone with others supporting/attacking.
. I also grew to love
link skills + passives that support them, because passives like the vanguard one with double link
turn into tons of damage without cost.

Silence circle skill is saving my ass in the 3rd labyrinth - god, those magarula jerks.

I just tried taking on one of those FOEs in the horror dungeon. Is
life drain
considered a spell (silence) or a physical skill (strength bind) in this game? Traditionally it's a spell, but the animation looks like a physical skill.

Hmmmmm, so not sure which P3 characters to put into my party (just glad they're all at Lv 12), so I figured:

Game says Aigis is better in the back, but I've heard she's a HP sponge, so maybe put her in the front?

put Aigis in the front row, the "better in back" thing is only because of characters using long range weapons.

ZeroX03

Banned
Doesn't look like my copy will be arriving early.

But it should arrive on Australian release day so it's still on time, and at a cheaper price too!

Aigis is more useful in front IMO

I use Mitsuru in the back because she has a good magic stat. Between Aigis, P4MC, and Kanji in my party, I have enough physical power in the front row.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So switch Mitsuru & Aigis around. Got it.

Probably will do some requests first before heading to the 2nd dungeon. Least I'm close to being able to fuse that persona Elizabeth wants to see (need to be one level higher).

spiritfox

So switch Mitsuru & Aigis around. Got it.

Probably will do some requests first before heading to the 2nd dungeon. Least I'm close to being able to fuse that persona Elizabeth wants to see (need to be one level higher).

You have Yosuke as your avatar but you're not using him? For shame.

Top Bottom