• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth |OT| -- No Dating, Just Dungeons

Zareka

Was it just me or was the dungeon 2 boss easy as hell? I reloaded my save and played it back on hard just to make sure. Didn't have nearly as much problems as...well, anything else so far.

Starting to think I should have started on risky. The game was busting my balls in the beginning (freaking beetles) but now it's all getting pretty tame. Though that "protagonist dies, game over" thing sounded really unappealing considering I like to use main characters as front line damage dealers. I'll be damned if I'm sticking them in the back.

PK Gaming

Was it just me or was the dungeon 2 boss easy as hell? I reloaded my save and played it back on hard just to make sure. Didn't have nearly as much problems as...well, anything else so far.

Starting to think I should have started on risky. The game was busting my balls in the beginning (freaking beetles) but now it's all getting pretty tame. Though that "protagonist dies, game over" thing sounded really unappealing considering I like to use main characters as front line damage dealers. I'll be damned if I'm sticking them in the back.

I felt the same way, but the 3rd dungeon presents a noticeable hike in difficulty

Make sure you stay on hard though

Zareka

Wait till you get to the second floor of the third dungeon.

I felt the same way, but the 3rd dungeon presents a noticeable hike in difficulty

Make sure you stay on hard though

Oh boy. The last time I played I was maybe mid way through the 1st floor of dungeon 3 so I better start preparing myself.

I'm definitely keeping it on hard from now on. Normal was pretty difficult back when I played Persona 3 but it's gotten way too easy now. Risky will be saved for my P4 run.

AniHawk

i have a weird question. can anyone in europe access the miiverse on 3ds? what about the wii u? for us players, can you get to the miiverse on the wii u?

Ourobolus

Banned
If anyone wants a decent (IMO) Battle Navi persona, here's a QR code for you.
5ebEn7T.jpg

Field Navi:

Dimmle

Chie's new VA is really growing on me in a way that she definitely didn't in Arena, but then she screams "MEAT" about twenty times in a row.

I guess you need some form of character writing shorthand in such a dense game but she's been reduced to a single-minded carnivore.

Eblo

QR code Personas? Is this a new game+ feature, or did I somehow completely miss a scene? Just started the second labyrinth btw.

PK Gaming

Healing Harp is pretty much Salvation for 3 turns, so might want to refrain from using it if you want to keep a challenge.

Other than that, I think Orpheus Telos gets Golden Link, so it's worth picking up if you like using links.

Dantis

Can you actually access the DLC? I wasn't able to download Kaguya for some reason (presumably since I have a PAL copy)...

Nope. Sends me back to title.

Is it NISA? We should tweet them.

Chie's new VA is really growing on me in a way that she definitely didn't in Arena, but then she screams "MEAT" about twenty times in a row.

I guess you need some form of character writing shorthand in such a dense game but she's been reduced to a single-minded carnivore.

Chie, Teddie and Akihiko are completely ruined in this. Weird, because everyone else feels like a more whimsical version of their usual self.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Well that worked out nicely. Did the first request which gave me enough EXP to level up to fuse the persona needed for the other request.

When is the navigator DLC out and who is available?
For $3 each:

12/9: Margaret, Elizabeth, & Theodore
12/16: Marie & Nanako

So that's $15 for them all.

Busaiku

Man, sub Personas completely changed everything.
At first, I was dreading every encounter, now I'm wondering if I should take on the FOEs.

PK Gaming

I wonder if those navigators will have character specific comments.

Elizabeth: It appears that the boy with the cap is dying. Interesting.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Speaking of Elizabeth:
Y U CHANGE BLUE TO WHITE ATLUS!?
. I get she's a nurse, but COME ON.

magnetic

I had completely forgotten how bland the enemy designs from the Persona games really are.

Grey slime with a mask, grey table with a mask, grey cupid with high pitched voice (don´t forget the mask!), grey flying snake with male symbol, grey flying girl sitting on a floating pyramid. Grey boulder with mask. (The only one I really liked was the giant beetle, which was really well animated and look properly menacing, unlike those lame
card knight FOEs or the irritating cupid/horse ones
.)

Coupled with the inexplicaply slow battle speed (with even rush mode taking ages) this is really picking away at my curiosity for what´s ahead. Reminded me of Final Fantasy Tactics A2, where each action was paused with some large period of nothing where the game seemed ponder the meaning of life. And man, those characters never, ever seem to shut up, just one dialog box after another interrupting the gameplay.

Which is a shame, since there´s still stuff I enjoy: The great visual design of the dungeons and the cute animations of the chibi-fied characters. But this game is getting tedious far sooner than I expected - the first boss especially was a huge disappointment, basically a mix between slightly too easy and just a gigantic healthbar. The only positive thing was the outright cheesy rap part in the battle tune, when he does the little "waaaaaaaaay" part - I picture a campy early 90s eurodance video going along with that.

I thought that EO had made me fall in love with dungeon crawlers in general, but I realized that it´s really those details that make or break these games for me.

Couple of questions, does this follow normal persona rules where you can't fuse above yor level unless it is an accident, and how many total floor levels are there, and are they all separate dungeons, and if this spoils too much you can tell me to just find out.

Setsu00

I had completely forgotten how bland the enemy designs from the Persona games really are.

Grey slime with a mask, grey table with a mask, grey cupid with high pitched voice (don´t forget the mask!), grey flying snake with male symbol, grey flying girl sitting on a floating pyramid. Grey boulder with mask. (The only one I really liked was the giant beetle, which was really well animated and look properly menacing, unlike those lame
.)

I wouldn't call them bland. Subdued seems more appropriate to me. Also, I don't really see why you complain about the enemies wearing masks since "Persona" means "Mask".

About the speed thing: Have you tried adjusting the battle speed in the config menu?

Couple of questions, does this follow normal persona rules where you can't fuse above yor level unless it is an accident, and how many total floor levels are there, and are they all separate dungeons, and if this spoils too much you can tell me to just find out.

I don't know the answer to your last two questions, but I can say that it seems to follow the normal fusion rules.

You can't fuse above your level, but you can sacrifice other Personas to give them exp which can put them to a higher level than you.

There are 3 floors plus a boss floor in the first dungeon, and 4 floors + Boss in later ones. There are
about 5
dungeons in total.

Fandangox

Nope. Sends me back to title.

Is it NISA? We should tweet them.

Chie, Teddie and Akihiko are completely ruined in this. Weird, because everyone else feels like a more whimsical version of their usual self.

Haven't played P3, but yeah Chie's characters seems to basically be "meat".

Its kind of odd though considering that (from what I have played so far) some characters's... endearing traits were toned down. Like Yosuke obsession with girls doesn't get brought up all that often really, wasn't even expecting him and
Ken to have a talk about Saki and Ken's mother.

Teddie is weird cause all he does is hit on girls in this game, but I honestly don't remember that many other traits from him in the main game lol, just that he did not do that often.

.)

Coupled with the inexplicaply slow battle speed (with even rush mode taking ages) this is really picking away at my curiosity for what´s ahead. Reminded me of Final Fantasy Tactics A2, where each action was paused with some large period of nothing where the game seemed ponder the meaning of life. And man, those characters never, ever seem to shut up, just one dialog box after another interrupting the gameplay.

Which is a shame, since there´s still stuff I enjoy: The great visual design of the dungeons and the cute animations of the chibi-fied characters. But this game is getting tedious far sooner than I expected - the first boss especially was a huge disappointment, basically a mix between slightly too easy and just a gigantic healthbar. The only positive thing was the outright cheesy rap part in the battle tune, when he does the little "waaaaaaaaay" part - I picture a campy early 90s eurodance video going along with that.

I thought that EO had made me fall in love with dungeon crawlers in general, but I realized that it´s really those details that make or break these games for me.

I think you're right about the enemy design, as I made the same observation. They definitely stand out compared to something like EO4, where the monsters are generally pretty interesting to look at.

magnetic

About the speed thing: Have you tried adjusting the battle speed in the config menu?

I did, but that did almost nothing, sadly, it´s still way too slow for my taste. Which is weird, since EO:Untold already had the option for very speedy battles, and is made by the same team (or so I´ve heard).

It´s such a minor detail but easily my biggest gripe. I can´t go back to EO1 and EO2 for the same reason - in games with hundreds of random battles, I don´t want to waste my time by having these arbitrary delays during the battles.

Setsu00

Can someone help me with one of the puzzles in the second floor of the third dungeon?
I have to walk on certain tiles in a specific order but I can't figure it out. I also have no idea where those hints Naoto mentioned are supposed to be

DKL

Can someone help me with one of the puzzles in the second floor of the third dungeon?
I have to walk on certain tiles in a specific order but I can't figure it out. I also have no idea where those hints Naoto mentioned are supposed to be

If you drew the map right, you would notice that
the FOE locations make each section of the room look like dice.

This thing actually makes me curious because I'm wondering if auto-mapping marks things besides walls.

EDIT:

Er, it might be the other puzzle, as mentioned in the other post.

Dimmle

The enemy design in Persona is fine and unique; the problem is how the games have recycled fan-favorite aspects to a barely discriminating audience since 2008.

Persona 5 needs to fold in some of PQ's smarter game features and abandon the exhausted character tropes that PQ's shorthand character writing has highlighted.

The Persona series is great but it's never been perfect and its less-critical fans will put it in the ground.

Sera O

Banned
Persona 5 needs to fold in some of PQ's smarter game features and abandon the exhausted character tropes that PQ's shorthand character writing has highlighted.

The dungeons are godly, and I love fat-puppy Koromaru, but man. The writing is like some kind of caricature fanfic sometimes. Chie likes meat. Akihiko likes protein. Teddy likes girls.

But, good dungeons and puzzles, unlike P3 and P4. Also, I expected the recycled images of personae that we've been seeing for years, especially given it's a handheld. But then, Oukuninushi in a badass action pose! Ippon Datara, dance champion! Flauros going hulk, Setanta looking stealthy and thoughtful!

The more dynamic portraits - different angles, more varied poses - is really refreshing. While not all of them have different portraits, I'm sure it's my first time seeing a good number of them, and I like most of them more than the original (not like SMTIV where art was different in a bad way).

DKL

Honestly, I'm just waiting for mainline Persona to move out of the dark ages and have actual dungeons that had thought put into them.

PQ is definitely a step in the right direction in that regard.

The dungeons are godly, and I love fat-puppy Koromaru, but man. The writing is like some kind of caricature fanfic sometimes. Chie likes meat. Akihiko likes protein. Teddy likes girls.

But, good dungeons and puzzles, unlike P3 and P4. Also, I expected the recycled images of personae that we've been seeing for years, especially given it's a handheld. But then, Oukuninushi in a badass action pose! Ippon Datara, dance champion! Flauros going hulk, Setanta looking stealthy and thoughtful!

The more dynamic portraits - different angles, more varied poses - is really refreshing. While not all of them have different portraits, I'm sure it's my first time seeing a good number of them, and I like most of them more than the original (not like SMTIV where art was different in a bad way).

The Personas are technically recycled, they're still using the PS2 era models rather than original art, just in new poses.

I don't think the writing is all bad, it's mostly fairly decent and there are times where it really shines. It's just those three characters who are awful.

Top Bottom