• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth |OT| -- No Dating, Just Dungeons

Dimmle

The Personas are technically recycled, they're still using the PS2 era models rather than original art, just in new poses.

I don't think the writing is all bad, it's mostly fairly decent and there are times where it really shines. It's just those three characters who are awful.
The stuff between Ken and Yosuke in labyrinth 2 was really nice.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
avengers23 said:
The sub-Persona Orpheus Telos is free to download today, and Magatsu Izanagi and Thanatos are on sale for $2 each.

What all's been given for free so far?

Can you even call the Persona Q persona art 'art'? They're basically renders. I think it is kinda neat they didn't just recycle the art mind.

They best try and match PQ's dungeon designs in P5. I feel like this should be a standard for the series. The dungeons and puzzles are great.

Just beat labyrinth 2. Boss had a cool design and just the general labyrinth was quite fun.
Liam O'Brien was totally the voice of the Clergymen wasn't he?

Oh god, this scene on the fourth floor of dungeon two killed me.
That whole group date scene was just hilarious, especially with everyone's reactions. Yukari and Kanji in particular had a lot of hilarious moments.

I had a moment on this floor where I ran into an FOE by mistake, but instead of running I just decided to fight it out, and I won. It feels good to take them down instead of running in terror.

The sidequest fight against
Elizabeth
was pretty easy, surprisingly. I thought it would be a little tougher, but poison makes that fight kind of a joke.

ramyeon

Can you even call the Persona Q persona art 'art'? They're basically renders. I think it is kinda neat they didn't just recycle the art mind.

They best try and match PQ's dungeon designs in P5. I feel like this should be a standard for the series. The dungeons and puzzles are great.

Just beat labyrinth 2. Boss had a cool design and just the general labyrinth was quite fun.
Liam O'Brien was totally the voice of the Clergymen wasn't he?
I would honestly prefer something more similar to SMT games or P2 than EO for dungeons in mainline Persona games.

Astarte

Oh god, this scene on the fourth floor of dungeon two killed me.
That whole group date scene was just hilarious, especially with everyone's reactions. Yukari and Kanji in particular had a lot of hilarious moments.

I had a moment on this floor where I ran into an FOE by mistake, but instead of running I just decided to fight it out, and I won. It feels good to take them down instead of running in terror.

The sidequest fight against
Elizabeth
was pretty easy, surprisingly. I thought it would be a little tougher, but poison makes that fight kind of a joke.

Poison makes every fight a joke :v

fedexpeon

Banned
So no waifu in this game at all?
Dang, I guess I will leave the game unopened for a few more weeks until I have time to play it.

That's just a joke stolen from the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy.

I've only just realised that it was...
Marie's poetry/pathos is much worse

Actually I'm really worried for the Jack Frost doll in the nurses office. It makes me think it is hanging by its neck...

Awesome! I defeated the first boss at level 9! The P4 arrival was pretty hype, too. The interactions between the two groups are pretty entertaining. I'm really gonna miss my previous party, though. :( But oh well, squad Windelectricm GO1 (Aki, P3MC, Kanji, Yosuke, Yukari). The only thing that sucks is that I can't continue the flower event anymore and the game didn't told me about it. :/ The first quest with Ren was pretty cool to do too.

Right now I'm at the beginning of the questions for the destined partner thing, but I'm gonna leave it at that after studying.

antibolo

Banned
This game desperately lacks a left-handed option (ie. moving with ABXY). I haven't even finished the first floor yet and I'm already tired of the pace-breaking slog of switching between d-pad and stylus whenever I need to update something on the map. But fuck left-handed people I guess.

I wish the Automap option would actually take care of everything (ie. adding doors and chests and such) so I would never have to worry about it. I know Etrian Odyssey fans love that stuff but it's only a constant source of annoyance to me.

NichM

Banned
So Orpheus Telos is totally redundant on P3MC but fuck it, i'm giving it to him anyway

"Are you aware of the many and varied selves you harbor within you? The self suffused with divine love... the self capable of demonic cruelty... People live by wearing different masks. What masks do you wear?"

"Orpheus and, um... Orpheus."

So I've just been superficially messing around with Links, but they seem pretty strong, no? Also, Akihiko seems like a perfect candidate with the great speed and the strength to back it up right?

Dugna

How long do you all think the special 3DS will be in supply? I just got a job and hopefully I can pay for it before it's gone, my closest GS has a copy of the system but it might be gone with the holidays coming up.

Gazoinks

Okay guys, need party advice. Right now I'm running:
P4MC/Aigis/Mitsuru
Naoto/Yukari

It's solid, but I feel like Mitsuru has been underperforming a bit. Would you guys say it's worth replacing her with Akihiko? How is he? Worth grinding up?

Seda

Okay guys, need party advice. Right now I'm running:
P4MC/Aigis/Mitsuru
Naoto/Yukari

It's solid, but I feel like Mitsuru has been underperforming a bit. Would you guys say it's worth replacing her with Akihiko? How is he? Worth grinding up?

Akihiko was probably my "MVP". Fast and strong. I mentioned earlier that his Death Counter skill was one of my favorites.

DKL

I'm actually finding her
confuse all enemies
skill really useful in the 3rd labyrinth since it has a high chance of actually working for some reason. I also gave her a speed up accessory to make sure that she was at least going before the first problematic type of enemy.

But yeah, it's important to stop at least one of the enemies who can
corrode your elemental defense during the encounters.
on the first turn.

Anyway, I spent this afternoon optimizing my team more and can pretty much get through all encounters where the enemy doesn't get the drop on me comfortably now (so far).

Akihiko was probably my "MVP". Fast and strong. I mentioned earlier that his Death Counter skill was one of my favorites.

I'm loving this skill a lot. I managed to get a sub persona with it so I stuck it on Shinjiro and I combine that with the taunt move (name escapes me). It's a very constant damage dealer on FOEs/bosses.

I'm looking forward to another playthrough, but this game feels really long. Only at the 3rd labyrinth and I don't feel like I'm even half way through it. I really want to experiment with more party set ups because there's just so many characters to use. I'll at least do a P4MC run afterwards but I don't see me ever finishing it.

I find it very weird that the game suggests Aigis (among other characters) to be on the back row when she clearly is a protector/fortress. It'd be a waste for a character with such high En to be on the back row
but I think everyone knows this already so w/e

I was also wondering, is there any viable uses for the stat swap rings?

I'm running:
P3MC/Akihiko/Shinjiro
Naoto/Yukari

I know people have been using MC on the back row but I find him to be useful for doing damage on the front row. Besides he hasn't had any silly deaths to cost me a game over so far.

Xenoflare

Yep, too bad Akihiko doesn't have an innate physical skill, but nothing a skill card can't fix.........

High ST and AG is what's best about him, his other stats are high enough to make him well rounded.

I'm loving this skill a lot. I managed to get a sub persona with it so I stuck it on Shinjiro and I combine that with the taunt move (name escapes me). It's a very constant damage dealer on FOEs/bosses.

I'm looking forward to another playthrough, but this game feels really long. Only at the 3rd labyrinth and I don't feel like I'm even half way through it. I really want to experiment with more party set ups because there's just so many characters to use. I'll at least do a P4MC run afterwards but I don't see me ever finishing it.

I find it very weird that the game suggests Aigis (among other characters) to be on the back row when she clearly is a protector/fortress. It'd be a waste for a character with such high En to be on the back row
but I think everyone knows this already so w/e

I was also wondering, is there any viable uses for the stat swap rings?

I'm running:
P3MC/Akihiko/Shinjiro
Naoto/Yukari

I know people have been using MC on the back row but I find him to be useful for doing damage on the front row. Besides he hasn't had any silly deaths to cost me a game over so far.

I guess their recommendations for front row/back row is purely based on whether their weapon does full damage from the back row.

Laconic

Banned
This game desperately lacks a left-handed option (ie. moving with ABXY). I haven't even finished the first floor yet and I'm already tired of the pace-breaking slog of switching between d-pad and stylus whenever I need to update something on the map. But fuck left-handed people I guess.

I wish the Automap option would actually take care of everything (ie. adding doors and chests and such) so I would never have to worry about it. I know Etrian Odyssey fans love that stuff but it's only a constant source of annoyance to me.

I feel your pain. I use a technique where I keep the stick inbetween my fingers like a chopstick, as I advance through the dungeon. I developex it due to my love of EO.

I still have to stop moving to do it, mind you, but at least the stylus is at hand.

Totakeke

Magic Charge seems kind of useless since you don't really have enough SP to use it more than a couple of times due to how boost free sp works... unless that's all you need to kill a boss or FOE. Agidyne costs like 40SP and Mind Charge also costs 40SP, and I have base 115SP with my sub giving me another +43. That's.. not even 4 shots.

Also I went a floor deeper far sooner than I should been able to by killing a FOE and the game seems to be a bit wonky at that point. Usually there's a conversation when you reach a new floor but there wasn't anything then, then Elizabeth told me I'm running out of time to complete quests when I don't have any quests. I'm just going to go back and clear the floor and hopefully that sorts things out.

antibolo

Banned
I feel your pain. I use a technique where I keep the stick inbetween my fingers like a chopstick, as I advance through the dungeon. I developex it due to my love of EO.

I still have to stop moving to do it, mind you, but at least the stylus is at hand.

But yeah, even with your technique, it still doesn't solve the critical fact that you can't multitask movement and map drawing simultaneously.

I don't understand why this is not a more common complaint, I did a quick search online and didn't find anybody talking about this issue, despite the Etrian Odyssey series being more than 7 years old now.

For me this is a total deal breaker. It makes the game feel very tedious, to a point where I'm seriously considering giving up on the game just because of this. Thankfully I bought the retail version for the LE, so I can resell it.

I'm sure some people will think this is a silly reason to give up (and some of these people may even be left-handed), but for me a game is fundamentally broken if it doesn't allow me to use the stylus with my left hand without causing a degraded gameplay experience.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Akihiko should always be your MVP in P3/P4U/P4U2
though he sucks in P4U/2 T_T
/PQ.

Aikhiko-senpai isn't "thunder god" for nothing.

antibolo said:

Eh, stopping every few steps to map things got annoying to where I auto-map outside of shortcuts and doors and stuff like that. A bit more managable, but it's terrible. I don't think moving it to ABXY would solve that issue either. :/

Anyway: Orpheus Telos DLC is pretty much a deaddovedonoteat.gif moment for me. I dunno what I expected. Oh, wait, I do: a Level 50+ Persona instead of this level 26. :/

At least him and Marie's Persona come with decent skills?

Ochi

Neo Member
So Orpheus Telos is totally redundant on P3MC but fuck it, i'm giving it to him anyway
"Are you aware of the many and varied selves you harbor within you? The self suffused with divine love... the self capable of demonic cruelty... People live by wearing different masks. What masks do you wear?"

"Orpheus and, um... Orpheus."

THE POWER OF INFINITE POSSIBILITIES, TRULY THIS IS THE POWER OF THE WILD CARD!

Can Lunar Blessing and Death Chaser not be inherited? They're pretty central to my FOE/Boss strategy, but I'm done learning everything on Kaguya and Matador. If they can't, I guess it's not the worst thing in the world, because a fast linker, Critical Eye/Lunar Blessing Chie, and Death Chaser Kanji kind of removes the strategy from every big fight.

Just got this. Kind of had my fill of the P4 cast. Is there any reason not to pick P3 protagonist?

Also what difficulty is akin to your usual EO game?

Dungeon 4 down:

These dungeon puzzles keep getting tougher, nothing a hard to solve as that final puzzle from dungeon 3, but these were a lot more time consuming at the very least. Lots of backtracking to solve them. FOEs are starting to get harder to avoid as well. They're predictable, but I still ended up boxed in by them quite a bit and having to warp out.

Encounters seems a lot more manageable on the whole, no corrosion skills to worry about. Ailments were pretty dangerous, but Shadows that could inflict those seemed to mostly disappear on the lower floors.

I wasn't really a fan of the boss of this dungeon. No weaknesses made the magic using half of my party useless, so he took quite a while to take down. His attacks weren't especially threatening either, so it was quite a dull fight.

Lots of plot afterwards. Double spoiler tagging to be safe, major spoilers:
Wow that got dark. After the third dungeon I was expecting Rei to be ill in a hospital, given the tone of the game to that point, that was quite a bit darker than I was expecting. It made her a much more interesting character than she had been up until that point. I suppose it wouldn't be a Megaten game without a deity as the true mastermind, although at least he isn't trying to end the word due to the subconscious desires of humanity, which makes a nice change.

Overall, I would say I enjoyed that dungeon less than 3, the first few floors were good with some clever puzzles, but I just started to get burned out on it after that point. I wonder how much the final dungeon is going to escalate the puzzles.

Just got this. Kind of had my fill of the P4 cast. Is there any reason not to pick P3 protagonist?

Also what difficulty is akin to your usual EO game?

I feel the same way about P4, so went P3 too. You miss out on the P3 hero talking, but there's a lot more focus on the P3 charecters than I assume there is if you go with the P4 side.

I've only played EO4, but I'd say that if you're familiar with either EO or SMT, go with at least Hard. you can always turn it down later if you need to.

Totakeke

Also I went a floor deeper far sooner than I should been able to by killing a FOE and the game seems to be a bit wonky at that point. Usually there's a conversation when you reach a new floor but there wasn't anything then, then Elizabeth told me I'm running out of time to complete quests when I don't have any quests. I'm just going to go back and clear the floor and hopefully that sorts things out.

False alarm, they did make it so that even if you do that you still have to use something from the previous floor to progress further. So it's all good. :)

The shadow combination in random battles are getting annoying though, which I guess is sort of welcome after being not much of a challenge in the previous labyrinths.

False alarm, they did make it so that even if you do that you still have to use something from the previous floor to progress further. So it's all good. :)

The shadow combination in random battles are getting annoying though, which I guess is sort of welcome after being not much of a challenge in the previous labyrinths.

I got that quests dialogue too, despite doing the floor properly, it was odd. I wonder if I missed something, or if it's just a bug.

Totakeke

Did you complete the subquest involving
Kanji and Junpei
on that floor before proceeding onwards?

Not sure if it was because of the quest boss, but I managed to do like
700 Stardrop hit + 350 Frost Link + 1500 Icy Paradise + 700 Frost Link + 200 Bufula + 700 Frost Link + 200 Frozen Spear
in one turn. That was pretty crazy (and awesome) . The boss had frost weakness, but no other damage/defense debuffs and buffs too aside from Bloody Vanguard.

Dantis

So no waifu in this game at all?
Dang, I guess I will leave the game unopened for a few more weeks until I have time to play it.

You are the worst.

Really though.

Oh, Dantis: I realized who NeoNaoto sounds like: Margaret.

I think she totally channels Mitsuru on some lines. She also sounds kinda weird on some bits. Overall I'm okay with her, but I liked the previous actress a lot more.

Did you complete the subquest involving
Kanji and Junpei
on that floor before proceeding onwards?

Not sure if it was because of the quest boss, but I managed to do like
700 Stardrop hit + 350 Frost Link + 1500 Icy Paradise + 700 Frost Link + 200 Bufula + 700 Frost Link + 200 Frozen Spear
in one turn. That was pretty crazy (and awesome) . The boss had frost weakness, but no other damage/defense debuffs and buffs too aside from Bloody Vanguard.

Yeah, I've been fully exploring dungeons and completing sidequests as they come up, so I shouldn't have missed any.

I need to start abusing links more, haven't really been touching them and my damage output hasn't been anywhere close to that.

Top Bottom