• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth |OT| -- No Dating, Just Dungeons

GeekyDad

Anyone know why sometimes there are areas of the map that show up as not explored when you try to open the special chest, even though you've already covered those areas of the map?

Laconic

Banned
But yeah, even with your technique, it still doesn't solve the critical fact that you can't multitask movement and map drawing simultaneously.

I don't understand why this is not a more common complaint, I did a quick search online and didn't find anybody talking about this issue, despite the Etrian Odyssey series being more than 7 years old now.

For me this is a total deal breaker. It makes the game feel very tedious, to a point where I'm seriously considering giving up on the game just because of this. Thankfully I bought the retail version for the LE, so I can resell it.

I'm sure some people will think this is a silly reason to give up (and some of these people may even be left-handed), but for me a game is fundamentally broken if it doesn't allow me to use the stylus with my left hand without causing a degraded gameplay experience.

I hear you.

This is the reason I bought a CPP for Kid Icarus.

Dunno if it works with PQ - have yet to try it.

Ourobolus

Banned
Quick question: I vaguely recall Margaret telling me that Sacrifice Fusion will allow me to create stuff from Theo's workshop or something? Am I correct? Details? I've never used the sacrifice fusion yet because I just haven't seen the benefit other than the XP - though I guess it's good for trash personas I pick up in the dungeon when I'm gathering mats.

Also, the Dungeon 2 boss. I beat him pretty easily, but totally forgot what each colored Vow blocks (Also I got him down to half health before he managed to hit me with the 5th one so I have no idea what it does). Does someone have a list?

spiritfox

Quick question: I vaguely recall Margaret telling me that Sacrifice Fusion will allow me to create stuff from Theo's workshop or something? Am I correct? Details? I've never used the sacrifice fusion yet because I just haven't seen the benefit other than the XP - though I guess it's good for trash personas I pick up in the dungeon when I'm gathering mats.

Also, the Dungeon 2 boss. I beat him pretty easily, but totally forgot what each colored Vow blocks (Also I got him down to half health before he managed to hit me with the 5th one so I have no idea what it does). Does someone have a list?

Some sacrificed Personas produce a material which you can then sell to unlock a new equip.

The colors
on the coffins match the colors of the commands in the menu

Hyoukokun

Arg. The game ate all my map data. I was only on level 3 of the 1st labyrinth, so not a huge deal, but very annoying.

Is there a good strategy for dealing with Burning Beetles? I've been able to take them out with a lucky Hama or Mudo, but at level 7 on Hard they are dang tough.

BlackJace

I'm really tired of the P4 cast at this point, but I chose them first purely because of their superior battle theme haha.

Arg. The game ate all my map data. I was only on level 3 of the 1st labyrinth, so not a huge deal, but very annoying.

Is there a good strategy for dealing with Burning Beetles? I've been able to take them out with a lucky Hama or Mudo, but at level 7 on Hard they are dang tough.
Pulipna, Poisma/Poison Circle, Disarm, Tarunda, Pain-Eater on your tank...

cripple the shit out of it before it wrecks you.

ijed

You have the option to save map data on death, yes.

Anyone know why sometimes there are areas of the map that show up as not explored when you try to open the special chest, even though you've already covered those areas of the map?

If you save the map on death you still have to go back over those squares again to get 100%

The rewards on the first dungeon are good but the second dungeon rewards had been pretty average so far. Would rather they ditched the play coins unlock feature and have better rewards

GeekyDad

If you save the map on death you still have to go back over those squares again to get 100%

The rewards on the first dungeon are good but the second dungeon rewards had been pretty average so far. Would rather they ditched the play coins unlock feature and have better rewards

Yeah, I figured that. However, it also happened to me on the second labyrinth, and I had never saved map data in the dungeon. However, I had covered all of the area.

Use buffs/debuffs to weaken them and just exploit their weakness to ice

Ourobolus

Banned
In case anyone is curious, I made a list of all of the personas that should provide an item if you use them as a sacrifice for fusion and thus can be used to create weapons/armor.
Pixie
Oni
Nue
Matador
King Frost
Yamata no Orochi
Succubus
Jack Frost
Genbu
Seiryuu
Suzaku
Skadi
Kartikeya
Jinn
Cybele
Kingu
Byakko
Seiten Taisei
Masakado
Seth
Michael
Loki
Vishnu
Alilat
Scathach
Satan
Yoshitsune
Shiva
Metatron
Beelzebub
Asura
Chi You
Zeus

spiritfox

3rd boss down! Was harder than the 2nd one at least. I really enjoyed the 3rd labyrinth. The atmosphere was perfect, and the puzzles were interesting and varied. I hope the next labyrinth can match it.

Firestar

Stuck on a puzzle in labyrinth 3 floor 3.

The one where the code is 6 9 3 12 9. Obviously I need to go through those 4 rooms and doors in that order (where 12 is North, 3 east, etc), but how do you get from door 9 to door 3?
Could use a goho-k but then you'd be on the wrong side of door 3 to get to door 12. I feel like I'm overlooking something really obvious here. Would appreciate if anyone could help me out

bobohoro

Finished the first dungeon. Was only thinking about trying the boss to see how it goes, since I was low on health, but beat it without much trouble at Lv8 on Hard. Poisma, Tarunda and strategic defending really help in the beginning, loving the challenge and the depth to the combat.

But I am overwhelmed by my party possibilities. I initially thought that I would focus only on the cast i chose (P4 on this file) and do another playthrough with the other. But EO games are rather exhausting and never appealed much to me in terms of replayability. So now I'm totally lost who to take with me, if I should just grind up everyone equally - but I guess that would take insane amounts of time - or if I should plan it by stats and abilities.

And I sure hope Atlus takes some of the combat mechanics and infuses them into P5. Subpersonas for one are a thing I'd like to see implemented again, Bursting is also really interesting.

Totakeke

Stuck on a puzzle in labyrinth 3 floor 3.

The one where the code is 6 9 3 12 9. Obviously I need to go through those 4 rooms and doors in that order (where 12 is North, 3 east, etc), but how do you get from door 9 to door 3?
Could use a goho-k but then you'd be on the wrong side of door 3 to get to door 12. I feel like I'm overlooking something really obvious here. Would appreciate if anyone could help me out

Just pass through them in order ignoring the inconsistency.

Firestar

Just pass through them in order ignoring the inconsistency.

You mean like I can go through 12 or 6 to get to 3? Because I've tried that and it doesn't seem to unlock. So for example I tried doing:
6, 9, 12, 3, 3 12, 9 or the same thing except going the other way to 3, nothing seems to unlock it

You mean like I can go through 12 or 6 to get to 3? Because I've tried that and it doesn't seem to unlock. So for example I tried doing:
6, 9, 12, 3, 3 12, 9 or the same thing except going the other way to 3, nothing seems to unlock it

I think I just went anticlockwise and that worked, no idea if that's the correct solution or not though.

I recall reading that the way to solve it is that those are the direction you have to go, they don't correspond with different rooms, so take the east door for a 3.

Totakeke

Yeah, there's only one other possibility that you didn't try and that works for me. Actually I believe something was lost in translation there as I never needed to do the last number.

Nachos

Actually, you don't. It'll still display the old percentage when you first reload, but as soon as you return to the floor, it'll automatically re-update.

In case anyone is curious, I made a list of all of the personas that should provide an item if you use them as a sacrifice for fusion and thus can be used to create weapons/armor.
Some of these are also necessary for the ultimate weapons.

The times correspond to directions, not the doors. Translate those times to cardinal directions and figure out which room you need to start at to cycle through all five directions.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
The times correspond to directions, not the doors. Translate those times to cardinal directions and figure out which room you need to start at to cycle through all five directions.

This post right here has dissuaded me from buying this game today. I don't wanna deal with puzzles like that lol.

Nachos

This post right here has dissuaded me from buying this game today. I don't wanna deal with puzzles like that lol.

It's actually not bad at all. You just need to walk through four tiny rooms in a certain order. I think party members can even give you extra hints for any puzzle if you need them.

ramyeon

Man, EB Games are hopeless. Pre ordered this so it would be delivered today on release day. Hasn't even shipped out yet. I knew I should have just opted to pick it up in store. Apparently there was no street date so it's been selling in stores for a few days anyway. Kinda tempted to double dip and get the eStore version just so I can play it a bit sooner.

Firestar

Awesome, got it. Thanks guys.

If anyone else is wondering, they were right and it's direction based. Works starting from the top right corner and then following the directions based on the numbers

The puzzles have been pretty cool for the most part in this.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I just beat the first boss. My party of 5 is level 11. The additional cast is all level 12 (Does it matter that I'm playing on Risky?). I still have a bunch of level 1's because I haven't decided to use them yet. The MC cannot be removed from the party. How in the world am I supposed to normalize my levels? I can't even make an educated decision on my final party because I have no idea what my level 1's will grow into, stats-wise.

Atlus pls.

I just beat the first boss. My party of 5 is level 11. The additional cast is all level 12 (Does it matter that I'm playing on Risky?). I still have a bunch of level 1's because I haven't decided to use them yet. The MC cannot be removed from the party. How in the world am I supposed to normalize my levels? I can't even make an educated decision on my final party because I have no idea what my level 1's will grow into, stats-wise.

Atlus pls.

There's some threads on GameFAQs with the stat growths of each party member, so if you're curious on who to use check there.

Naoto and Aigis seem to work well with just about any team though. Naoto has a high magic stat and is really fast so she can work well as a caster or healer, plus she comes with Hama and Mudo which is pretty nice for regular mobs in the dungeons. Aigis is a fantastic tank and will soak up damage for your party and help you live longer. She has a good Attack stat too and she works well in the front row despite the game telling you to put her in back.

daydream

Banned
NIS America tweetet 2 hours ago that the EU DLC should now be fixed. Haven't gotten the chance to check, yet.

They also posted this:

B39IvuJCcAAzFc7.png

Gazoinks

NIS America tweetet 2 hours ago that the EU DLC should now be fixed. Haven't gotten the chance to check, yet.

They also posted this:

B39IvuJCcAAzFc7.png

I promised myself I wouldn't buy cosmetic DLC, but I don't know if I can resist those navigator voices. Except Marie. I can resist that one.

antibolo

Banned
Man, EB Games are hopeless. Pre ordered this so it would be delivered today on release day. Hasn't even shipped out yet. I knew I should have just opted to pick it up in store. Apparently there was no street date so it's been selling in stores for a few days anyway. Kinda tempted to double dip and get the eStore version just so I can play it a bit sooner.

My PQ 3DS XL is still stuck in "payment authentication hell" since launch. I'm going to cancel it soon, I don't even want it anymore. EBGames are a bunch of clowns.

goblin

Oxalic (may not be translated correctly)

I think this is supposed to be
Chi You

LayLa

About 12 hours in and I have to admit I'm now completely hooked. The dialog is still not that great but the dungeon design and the battle system really are excellent, combining the best of both series in a really satisfying way. That DLC rollout is devilishly designed though, probably going to hit just when I finally want a change up from the usual Navi voices >.<

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
There's some threads on GameFAQs with the stat growths of each party member, so if you're curious on who to use check there.

Naoto and Aigis seem to work well with just about any team though. Naoto has a high magic stat and is really fast so she can work well as a caster or healer, plus she comes with Hama and Mudo which is pretty nice for regular mobs in the dungeons. Aigis is a fantastic tank and will soak up damage for your party and help you live longer. She has a good Attack stat too and she works well in the front row despite the game telling you to put her in back.
Thanks, but honestly, it's just ridiculous that my party will forever be lopsided in levels. Just hate that in RPGs. =(

NichM

Banned
Not sure how the navi-voice DLC even works.

The reason it's specifically called "navi voice" DLC is because you still choose whether Fuuka or Rise is your "real" navigator, and you'll get the benefits of whatever their native and sub-Persona skills are. If you have some voice DLC, you're then able to choose whose voice you hear on top of that.

ramyeon

My PQ 3DS XL is still stuck in "payment authentication hell" since launch. I'm going to cancel it soon, I don't even want it anymore. EBGames are a bunch of clowns.
Yep, they're terrible. Apparently it hasn't even shipped out yet and I may not get it until Monday. Kinda ridiculous really, since they've been selling it in stores for a couple of days now.

I guess I'll just wait. I don't have any time to play until the weekend anyway so hopefully it arrives tomorrow at least.

<3 Sub-Personas

The Naoto quest was pretty awesome, but I think I discovered the culprit for the wrong reason lol
The reason Naoto knows it's Theo is because he mentions Chie, but I overlooked that and deduced it was him because one of the points Naoto mentions was something like "Only one will say something different from the other", and Theo was the only one who didn't mention that Marie wasn't the culprit.

Hmm? One of the questions was about what I liked about older women or something like that and Mitsuru said "Thank god you don't act like that in the battlefield" but it's not like I could choose any option that opposed that.

What's poinking?

GeekyDad

The reason it's specifically called "navi voice" DLC is because you still choose whether Fuuka or Rise is your "real" navigator, and you'll get the benefits of whatever their native and sub-Persona skills are. If you have some voice DLC, you're then able to choose whose voice you hear on top of that.

But you're still seeing Fuuka/Rise animation?

Top Bottom