• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth |OT| -- No Dating, Just Dungeons

Meia

The reason it's specifically called "navi voice" DLC is because you still choose whether Fuuka or Rise is your "real" navigator, and you'll get the benefits of whatever their native and sub-Persona skills are. If you have some voice DLC, you're then able to choose whose voice you hear on top of that.

Just want to chime in and say how brilliant this system is. Not only allowing two different navigators so you don't need ALL navigation skills on one persona(something I was worried about), but then to be able to choose who you hear in and outside of battle separately from who's actually doing things is just great. :D

Currently using Fuuka for all voices and navigation, Rise in battle.

Nachos

Surely I can't be the only person here who absolutely hates this.

It's a slightly silly homage in an already flanderized game sporting a ridiculous premise. It would probably feel out of place in a main installment, but here it's fine.

They already learned to play instruments well enough to play a concert in the course of a weekend. Anything goes.

Laconic

Banned
It's a slightly silly homage in an already flanderized game sporting a ridiculous premise. It would probably feel out of place in a main installment, but here it's fine.

They already learned to play instruments well enough to play a concert in the course of a weekend. Anything goes.

A time paradox allows for P3 MC fanboys and girls to use him. A time paradox. Credulity ought not be brought to this table.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So I started this on hard, but I'm contemplating if I should go to risky...

Any advice on this? I'd say that I'm fairly experienced in etrian odyssey games.

I really dislike the idea that since there are some unrealistic elements in a game then anything can go. Just because it has time travel or supernatural elements, that doesn't justify character flanderisation, or undermine moments when the game wants to be taken seriously.

Saying that, as someone who doesn't really care for Jojo, I have no problem with the poses, it's a nice homage and it's perfectly justified in the game anyway, even though it didn't need to be. I do really dislike the band scene in Golden though.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I didn't know they changed voice actors for Naoto and Kanji until I watched the GB Quick Look. I'm sad now.

Nachos

So I started this on hard, but I'm contemplating if I should go to risky...

Any advice on this? I'd say that I'm fairly experienced in etrian odyssey games.

I think you'll be fine. I overestimated how hard it would be, and after being dissatisfied with hard, I restarted on risky and never looked back. So long as you can manage your party well, you probably don't need to worry about your main character's death causing an instant game over, either. Honestly, I could go for the game ramping things up even more. I've never felt incentivized to touch light or dark skills at all, and it'll probably stay that way, since I'm halfway through dungeon four.

You'll just want to be aware that you can't run from FOE battles, and unlike Untold, you can't pause mid-battle to return to the title screen. Unless you're really prepared or have the navigator skill that lets you warp out of battle (it's on one of the starter sub personas), all FOE encounters will just be ridiculously drawn-out game overs.

Oh, and get the Nozuchi skill card, since it'll let you cancel most enemy advantages.

Antiwhippy

I think you'll be fine. I overestimated how hard it would be, and after being dissatisfied with hard, I restarted on risky and never looked back. So long as you can manage your party well, you probably don't need to worry about your main character's death causing an instant game over, either. Honestly, I could go for the game ramping things up even more. I've never felt incentivized to touch light or dark skills at all, and it'll probably stay that way, since I'm halfway through dungeon four.

You'll just want to be aware that you can't run from FOE battles, and unlike Untold, you can't pause mid-battle to return to the title screen. Unless you're really prepared or have the navigator skill that lets you warp out of battle (it's on one of the starter sub personas), all FOE encounters will just be ridiculously drawn-out game overs.

Oh, and get the Nozuchi skill card, since it'll let you cancel most enemy advantages.

Cool. I've restarted on risky.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Kanji I think is great, but naoto is really really bad imo. not nearly as much depth in her performance.

Bummer. Naoto never left my party once she became available in P4. Really liked the character.

Kanji was never in my party for dungeons, but he was my favorite character in the game. It's not enough to deter me from playing the game, but I'm disappointed. Guess I'll just have to get used to it.

Bummer. Naoto never left my party once she became available in P4. Really liked the character.

Kanji was never in my party for dungeons, but he was my favorite character in the game. It's not enough to deter me from playing the game, but I'm disappointed. Guess I'll just have to get used to it.

Kanji's one of my favorite characters in gaming, and I think he's absolutely spot on here. While I would have preferred for Troy Baker to reprise his role since he's the original, Matt Mercer sounds uncannily similar. You couldn't ask for a better replacement.

Re: Flanderization. I think at this point, I'm not that bothered by it (though it does a disservice to the worlds the Persona team built). But if Persona 5 starts with these kinds of one-note stereotypes, there won't BE any spinoff games that turn everyone into caricatures. As long as the mainline games treat its characters like real human beings, I'll put up with the dumb shit Atlus pulls in the spinoffs (to a point, anyway).

Antiwhippy

Nah man, I started on p3 side for my dawg.

From what I've seen on both sides I'd say that the p3 side is better written?

PK Gaming

Re: Flanderization. I think at this point, I'm not that bothered by it (though it does a disservice to the worlds the Persona team built). But if Persona 5 starts with these kinds of one-note stereotypes, there won't BE any spinoff games that turn everyone into caricatures. As long as the mainline games treat its characters like real human beings, I'll put up with the dumb shit Atlus pulls in the spinoffs (to a point, anyway).

I seriously wouldn't worry about it. Spinoffs like Persona Q could never hope to match the quality of mainline titles in terms of writing and characterization (especially considering it has different writers, directors, etc). Persona 5 has the main Persona team working on it with a specific goal in mind and it's very much it's own thing. It'll be nothing like PQ.

Restart on the P4 side of Risky.

THAT is where the real challenge lies.

P4 cast... so gimp.

Naoto being the exception proving the rule.

If anything, the P4 side is easier on Risky. The first dungeon isn't hard (even on Risky) so don't have to worry about not having the P3 characters, and the P4 protagonist makes life much easier with his Mudo immunity (that, and his excellent Endurance stat).

The P3 protagonist is a strong character, but Risky pretty much necessitates keeping him in the back to avoid getting one shotted. There's also not much you can do about Mamudoon spamming enemies that prop in the late game, either.

Antiwhippy

Hmm, can't you equip null mudo personas then?

Still, really the second floor of the first level and it hasn't been that much trouble really.

Man, I'm so glad I ignored the first review I came across which made this look like some kind of fanservice no-effort cash grab. On the contrary, it looks like a lot of care went into this, I think out of all the dungeon crawlers I've played, this one nails the feeling that you're in charge of a party the most. Kanji and Yosuke's lines really are the best, while others -- well, they can't all be zingers (I'm only on the second floor of Dungeon 1, mind you).

This game is also really pretty so far and I love the "check this out, I've studied graphics design" UI and the cheesy J-Pop. So far, this really is a ton of fun. I take it you never get extra turns from exploiting enemy weaknesses like in the "Press Turn" system, though?

Busaiku

3rd floor of You in Wonderland seems much easier than the 2nd floor.
Besides the beetles, none of the enemies are a big deal now.

Gosh, the inclusion of the P3 cast is making it very difficult to pick a team. What's the general consensus on a "best" combination? I'll likely change it to suit my character preferences, but I'm still curious.

I was previously rolling with Kanji, Chie, Naoto, and Yukiko.

Labrys

I think I've cemented my team, at least for my Normal/P3 Run.

Front: Aigis, Koromaru, Shinji
Back: Yukari, Minato

Aigis is an absolute tank, Orgia Mode along with Powercharge makes her a very hard hitter, she dealt 800 damage alone to the Mandatory FOE on the 3rd floor of the second labyrinth. I've also been working on getting as many Navi skills as possible on a persona for Fuuka, I have some good ones on a Kaguya and a Moh Shuvuu.

This game has charmed me to hell and back, I haven't had this much fun with an RPG in a while.

I don't I'll use any of the DLC Personae, since I feel that using them would be like cheating.

I also don't feel any kind of flanderization that turns me off characters (except for maybe Teddie but I expect him to get better hopefully) in fact, I'm starting to like characters I didn't care that much about before. I absolutely love Akihiko's character in this game. Chie's okay.

Having not played Ultimax yet, I love Kanji's and Ken's voices. Naoto's cool too. Margaret's though...

PK Gaming

Hmm, can't you equip null mudo personas then?

Still, really the second floor of the first level and it hasn't been that much trouble really.

Resist dark Personas exist, but it's not like you can hold onto them forever. Though I suppose by the endgame, you should be able to rely on skillcards for your moveset anyway.

Labrys

I don't I'll use any of the DLC Personae, since I feel that using them would be like cheating.

I also don't feel any kind of flanderization that turns me off characters (except for maybe Teddie but I expect him to get better hopefully) in fact, I'm starting to like characters I didn't care that much about before. I absolutely love Akihiko's character in this game. Chie's okay.

Having not played Ultimax yet, I love Kanji's and Ken's voices. Naoto's cool too. Margaret's though...

I feel similarly, I didn't purchase the Kaguya I am using though, I fused her the proper way. I plan on doing the same thing with Orpheus Telos

Hugstable

Banned
So my party of

Yu/Aigis/Chie
Naoto/Makoto

has been working out pretty damn well for me so far. Chie is one of my favorite characters, but she doesn't have very much moves so far overall, and I'm not sure if I want to keep building her up or try out one of the many other front row physical characters. Plus I'm wondering how many more times she's gonna wonder if that treasure box is filet minion

EDIT: also how do I get more Skill Cards? I've only seem to have gotten the ones from treasures like Media and Recarm so far.

spiritfox

So my party of

Yu/Aigis/Chie
Naoto/Makoto

has been working out pretty damn well for me so far. Chie is one of my favorite characters, but she doesn't have very much moves so far overall, and I'm not sure if I want to keep building her up or try out one of the many other front row physical characters. Plus I'm wondering how many more times she's gonna wonder if that treasure box is filet minion

EDIT: also how do I get more Skill Cards? I've only seem to have gotten the ones from treasures like Media and Recarm so far.

You'll get a way to get more Skill Cards later.
You'll unlock Extract Skill Card around the 3rd labyrinth, where you can extract various skills from sub-Personas.

Sakura

My party:
p4qpartywjdhr.jpg

Been working well for me, haven't had any problems, and I don't plan on changing it ever. Though I'm playing normal and not hard or risky.

MSMrRound

Any tips for getting around the FOE in the 3rd dungeon
4th floor, the doll FOE that keeps following you around? At the start there was a switch. Any other switch I'm missing out on or something?
?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
3rd floor of You in Wonderland seems much easier than the 2nd floor.
Besides the beetles, none of the enemies are a big deal now.

Until you change your party then you get wrecked because they're lower level than the party you did the dungeon with.

At least this means Chie can stay level 5 like a proper neglected ignored party member she'll be.

ChrisD

I really like Aigis' personality (err, lack thereof?), and I couldn't go without getting both main characters in. After that it's my favorite P4 characters, Yukiko and Naoto.

19 hours and 13 minutes played. Still in the second labyrinth, on the second floor. I'm not having any difficulty at all, I just got caught up farming babies riding horses for a few hours. Love the high-level Persona lottery rush hahaha.

Busaiku

Until you change your party then you get wrecked because they're lower level than the party you did the dungeon with.

At least this means Chie can stay level 5 like a proper neglected ignored party member she'll be.

I've been alternating the party, cause I wanted to keep everyone together.
That's why it's been taking me so long.

About 1/2 are level 10, the others are 7.

Ugh, I was planning on slaughtering a certain enemy on the fourth floor of the third dungeon, but it isn't working.
Fucking Old Doll keeps casting Diarahan at half health. I thought hey, maybe it would only do it once, but then it did it again... :/

Edit: It worked!
It only cast Diarahan twice. It having such ridiculous weaknesses meant I was never at risk of running out of MP, either, because I just spent boosts casting.

Antiwhippy

I've been alternating the party, cause I wanted to keep everyone together.
That's why it's been taking me so long.

About 1/2 are level 10, the others are 7.

Wouldn't that just over level your mc?

Doesn't seem like there's much benefit keeping everyone level.

Dantis

Yeah, screw paying homage to the series that inspired Persona's entire aesthetic and concepts. That oughta teach them for being innovative and clever.

Let's not go too far here. Persona isn't Jojo, and I'm not sure the aesthetics owe much to it at all outside of Personas and stands both being humanoid.

Why would you hate it?

I think it's dumb and cringey. But everyone else seems to love it, and that's fine.

Dantis

My party:
p4qpartywjdhr.jpg

Been working well for me, haven't had any problems, and I don't plan on changing it ever. Though I'm playing normal and not hard or risky.

It feels to me like on normal, most parties would be viable, thanks to the sub-Persona system.

I want to fuse personas, but it's taking forever to level them up to learn new skills. Also the navi skills are stressing me cuz I don't want to lose them. I don't know what to do. I never had this problem with fusing in previous SMT/persona games.

Lusankya

I want to fuse personas, but it's taking forever to level them up to learn new skills. Also the navi skills are stressing me cuz I don't want to lose them. I don't know what to do. I never had this problem with fusing in previous SMT/persona games.

For some reason I thought after a fusion they would get fusion exp, but I guess I just imagined seeing such a screenshot. I also don't fuse that often, because I want to level up the old personas first and it takes a long time. Any way to speed up that process?

goblin

For some reason I thought after a fusion they would get fusion exp, but I guess I just imagined seeing such a screenshot. I also don't fuse that often, because I want to level up the old personas first and it takes a long time. Any way to speed up that process?

No fusion experience. However, later in the game you
get the ability to sacrifice two personas to give large amounts of experience to another. Bonus experience for one or both sacrifices matching the recipient's arcana.

It's way faster than trying to level up your personas through battle, and I'd advise not really stressing about getting all their skills until then unless you just really love grinding.

Top Bottom