• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth |OT| -- No Dating, Just Dungeons

Lusankya

No fusion experience. However, later in the game you
get the ability to sacrifice two personas to give large amounts of experience to another. Bonus experience for one or both sacrifices matching the recipient's arcana.

It's way faster than trying to level up your personas through battle, and I'd advise not really stressing about getting all their skills until then unless you just really love grinding.

Ah, thanks a bunch. Very helpful to know in advance.

arue

No fusion experience. However, later in the game you
get the ability to sacrifice two personas to give large amounts of experience to another. Bonus experience for one or both sacrifices matching the recipient's arcana.

It's way faster than trying to level up your personas through battle, and I'd advise not really stressing about getting all their skills until then unless you just really love grinding.
I just got to this part in the game. I wish they introduced it sooner so I didn't have to spend all those time getting all the skills on my sub-personas.

jiggles

Banned
So, I picked this up with some trade-in credit last night, set it downloading overnight, and flipped my 3DS open this morning for a quick look at it. I didn't even get to any gameplay before I flipped the thing closed and put it back on its charger.

I am going to love this.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Man, Aegis with pain-eater totally belongs in the backrow. A taunt that comes with a defense buff? Thank you very much.

Most of the hits barely tickle.

I kind of find it funny that she's now a tank/support.

Ourobolus

Banned
Hm...suddenly having a party of four people who are weak to wind is giving me issues in the 3rd dungeon with that Wind Corrosion bullshit. Haven't died yet, but taking out those guys is a pain in the ass.

Guess I need to level Yukari back up a bit...or maybe Yosuke, since I could use a frontline attacker instead of replacing Naoto.

I really need to get to the 3rd floor ASAP though so I can finally get a skill card for Impure Reach for Naoto though.

PK Gaming

Hm...suddenly having a party of four people who are weak to wind is giving me issues in the 3rd dungeon with that Wind Corrosion bullshit. Haven't died yet, but taking out those guys is a pain in the ass.

Guess I need to level Yukari back up a bit...or maybe Yosuke, since I could use a frontline attacker instead of replacing Naoto.

I really need to get to the 3rd floor ASAP though so I can finally get a skill card for Impure Reach for Naoto though.

Yeah, you definitely want to get either Yosuke or Yukari up to speed. Not only do they help against those enemies, but they're effective against these obnoxious cop enemies that may have already started running into.

If you're using the P4 protagonist, his Dekunda skill can null corrosion skills. Purifying salts can also get rid of them.

Little LTTP. Picked the game up Day 1 but wanted to finish Tales of Hearts R before really diving in.

I miss EO's skill system but, apart from that, this is how you do EO with a story. The map upgrades are convenient though not very necessary, floor jump seems to have been nerfed, which is good news though it should be done away with entirely. Graphics look great. The style is just perfect for me. I love to harp on the waifus but if this had social links it would be the ultimate Persona game imo.

Untold games could really take some pages from here if they are going to insist on *remaking*
slowjerk.gif
games that are natively playable on the system.

PK Gaming

If anyone plans on using Yukiko, make sure you give her the Luck ~ Agi swap accessory the instant you get it (it's an early quest item). It swaps her lackluster speed with her very high luck stat, turning her into a fairly quick (yet still frail) mage. It's especially useful if you plan on giving her healing skills.

Little LTTP. Picked the game up Day 1 but wanted to finish Tales of Hearts R before really diving in.

I miss EO's skill system but, apart from that, this is how you do EO with a story. The map upgrades are convenient though not very necessary, floor jump seems to have been nerfed, which is good news though it should be done away with entirely. Graphics look great. The style is just perfect for me. I love to harp on the waifus but if this had social links it would be the ultimate Persona game imo.

Untold games could really take some pages from here if they are going to insist on *remaking*
slowjerk.gif
games that are natively playable on the system.

what happened to Floor Jump? I forgot that existed(or you just mean going to the last floor). I also agree that it sucks.

This game is better than Untold easily, my ranking if I included the game would be

3 > 4 > 1 > 2 > Persona Q > lolUntold

I can't praise Subpersonas enough, and I just love how everyone gets one instead of just the MC. The only bad part so far is how you can destroy the game with Naoto but you can avoid doing that yourself.

I want to fuse personas, but it's taking forever to level them up to learn new skills. Also the navi skills are stressing me cuz I don't want to lose them. I don't know what to do. I never had this problem with fusing in previous SMT/persona games.

I fused away one of my navigator personas without really thinking it through, and then had to grind out some money to buy it back. There's a lot more management going on here since you need to have so many different persona at any given time.

what happened to Floor Jump? I forgot that existed(or you just mean going to the last floor). I also agree that it sucks.

This game is better than Untold easily, my ranking if I included the game would be

3 > 4 > 1 > 2 > Persona Q > lolUntold

I can't praise Subpersonas enough, and I just love how everyone gets one instead of just the MC. The only bad part so far is how you can destroy the game with Naoto but you can avoid doing that yourself.

Yeah, was just referring to the ability to enter the dungeon and start on your last floor. Not Untold's floor jump and nowhere near as broken, but still similar in lowering the party endurance necessary to the other games to progress floors.

I haven't played enough of Q yet, but my ranking looks much like yours (minus the original 1 and 2 since I haven't had the pleasure). It will be impressive if Q matches 3, but I think some great dungeons can drop it ahead of 4 for me.

Credo

I haven't followed this thread whatsoever, so would it be possible for someone to answer a quick question? I'm fairly sure there isn't a "best" party, but I want to know if the party I'm thinking of using will be viable in the long run without having to level up other characters as replacements.

I'm playing the Persona 4 side, so I have to use the P4 MC, and I was thinking of making it like:

P4 MC, Aigis, Chie
P3 MC, Naoto

However, I noticed a few posts ago that someone said: "Man, Aegis with pain-eater totally belongs in the backrow. A taunt that comes with a defense buff? Thank you very much." So should I have Aigis in the front row until I get Pain Eater and then shift her to the back row, or keep her in the back row the entire time?

Also, I don't have a dedicated healer in Yukiko or Yukari. Is it pretty much a given that you need to be using one of them in your party? I noticed someone say, "Yeah, you definitely want to get either Yosuke or Yukari up to speed. Not only do they help against those enemies, but they're effective against these obnoxious cop enemies that may have already started running into," so maybe I should replace someone with Yukari, but I don't know who that would be except Chie. Naoto seems to be too good to let go.

I'll appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

I don't have a dedicated healer, my team is:

P4MC/Aigis
P3MC/Naoto/Rei

I just have either Naoto or P3MC have a subpersona with a healing spell, I also always have some items with me just in case.

Ourobolus

Banned
Also, I don't have a dedicated healer in Yukiko or Yukari. Is it pretty much a given that you need to be using one of them in your party? I noticed someone say, "Yeah, you definitely want to get either Yosuke or Yukari up to speed. Not only do they help against those enemies, but they're effective against these obnoxious cop enemies that may have already started running into," so maybe I should replace someone with Yukari, but I don't know who that would be except Chie. Naoto seems to be too good to let go.

The reason he was mentioning Yosuke or Yukari to me is because they are strong against wind, and I'm getting creamed by wind attacks. I currently use the P3MC as my healer, and I haven't touched Yukiko or Yukari (outside of the first dungeon where I could only use P3 characters). I would just go with someone with a decent magic stat as a healer, but they can do other things as well.

As for Naoto, she's amazing for killing randoms with insta-kill spells, so...yeah.

My party is currently:
P4MC / Akihiko / Kanji
Naoto / P3MC

Second labyrinth finished.
I got paired up with Ken, which was hilarious because of how awkward the whole thing was, and how he kept just being like 'but we're both boys'!

The boss of the second labyrinth was a complete joke, though. Maybe hard mode just isn't hard enough.

Ourobolus

Banned
I got paired up with Ken, which was hilarious because of how awkward the whole thing was, and how he kept just being like 'but we're both boys'!

The boss of the second labyrinth was a complete joke, though. Maybe hard mode just isn't hard enough.

Nah, the boss was pretty easy on Risky too. He's just your typical "if you do X this turn I will counterattack" boss and is pretty tame otherwise.

Am I losing much by not using the P3MC? I know there's a quest that requires him to be a certain level later on, but I really like my P4MC, Kanji, Chie (I'd switch her for P3MC if I had to), Naoto, and Yukiko lineup.

Let's not go too far here. Persona isn't Jojo, and I'm not sure the aesthetics owe much to it at all outside of Personas and stands both being humanoid.

C'mon, man. It's super clear that Jojo was a massive inspiration for the Persona series, especially considering that Part 3's Stands all had a tarot motif. Also, it definitely can't be a coincidence that Jotaro's Stand is first seen after he fires a gun at his head.

Part 4, along with Twin Peaks, is clearly what allowed P4 to come into being as well. There are simply too many similarities to deny that Persona owes an awful lot to Jojo.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I'm sure this has been asked several times already so I apologize in advance, but as someone that despises EO games but has loves Persona, is this game for me?

Ketkat

C'mon, man. It's super clear that Jojo was a massive inspiration for the Persona series, especially considering that Part 3's Stands all had a tarot motif. Also, it definitely can't be a coincidence that Jotaro's Stand is first seen after he fires a gun at his head.

Part 4, along with Twin Peaks, is clearly what allowed P4 to come into being as well. There are simply too many similarities to deny that Persona owes an awful lot to Jojo.

And what about persona 1/2?

Busaiku

Just beat Queen of Hearts.
Holy crap, we can inflict status ailments on bosses. In fact, that was more effective than my attacks.

Also, fanservice overload. Margaret's awesome.

Kensuke

I haven't followed this thread whatsoever, so would it be possible for someone to answer a quick question? I'm fairly sure there isn't a "best" party, but I want to know if the party I'm thinking of using will be viable in the long run without having to level up other characters as replacements.

I'm playing the Persona 4 side, so I have to use the P4 MC, and I was thinking of making it like:

P4 MC, Aigis, Chie
P3 MC, Naoto

However, I noticed a few posts ago that someone said: "Man, Aegis with pain-eater totally belongs in the backrow. A taunt that comes with a defense buff? Thank you very much." So should I have Aigis in the front row until I get Pain Eater and then shift her to the back row, or keep her in the back row the entire time?

You don't need a dedicated healer. There are enough subpersonas and cards teaching healing spells. Aigis should be in the front row, because that's the row that takes the most damage. She'll protect the other 2 front row characters with swordbreaker. Chie is good, but I'd say Kanji is better. He has more HP and his strength stat goes up quicker than other dps characters.

muteki

Just beat Queen of Hearts.
Holy crap, we can inflict status ailments on bosses. In fact, that was more effective than my attacks.

Also, fanservice overload. Margaret's awesome.
I kinda wish status susceptibility was tracked on the scan screen like element susceptibility is. I'd like to use status effects more but rather not have to remember the weaknesses or reference a guide.

I tried taking on my first FOE at around level 9, and it was a long fight that I eventually lost due to running out of SP. It didn't appear to have any weaknesses (though I didn't try hama/mudo), and just seemed to have tons of HP and damage. How effective are status effects on these enemies, and are there any strategies other than just getting stronger that I'm missing?

Credo

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll keep my party as it is then. I'd switch out Chie for Kanji, but he's still at level 1 since I started out on the P4 side. I don't know that I'd want to try to make up the gap between my current party and him.

goblin

Am I losing much by not using the P3MC? I know there's a quest that requires him to be a certain level later on, but I really like my P4MC, Kanji, Chie (I'd switch her for P3MC if I had to), Naoto, and Yukiko lineup.

I'd throw a growth accessory on him, at the very least. That's a pretty important request. I think the requirement for obtaining it is
your protagonist reaching a certain level -- I'm going to ballpark it at 55, which is around when you learn your last skill. I used both in my main party, though, and they were leveling evenly, so I don't know if the request requires them both to be that high or just the one you're playing as. I'm pretty sure level is the main gate over labyrinth progression because on a NG+ cycle it pops up really early on.

Request mechanics spoiler:
Either way, the request is a fight with just the two of you with no other party members allowed.

I tried taking on my first FOE at around level 9, and it was a long fight that I eventually lost due to running out of SP. It didn't appear to have any weaknesses (though I didn't try hama/mudo), and just seemed to have tons of HP and damage. How effective are status effects on these enemies, and are there any strategies other than just getting stronger that I'm missing?

Poison is incredibly useful, and if you keep strength or magic bind applied (or both!) you can neuter almost every FOE and boss in the game, at least on Hard. Maybe Risky gives them resistances or immunities. Single-target binds are Disarm (strength), Scarecrow (agility) and Makajam (magic) respectively.

bobohoro

I keep on dying on the third floor of the first labyrinth.
Demoralising to lose 30 minutes of progress when I get to play like an hour a day.

I guess you die to surprise attacks of the giant beetle? Had similar issues, managed with careful exploring (lots of Goho-M) and when I met the thing, I would have my front row defend (reduces damages by a lot) and the back row focuses on escaping. When all else fails, grind a bit, one level can make a pretty big difference, especially since you can fuse some new personas. If you can, look out for skills such as Tarunda, Poisma, Disarm and Sukunda, they are imensely useful in the first dungeon.

ijed

Me two - He was a pretty cool boss but yeah pretty easy.

I was Shinjiro's waifu which was awkward....

Hey do strolls that aren't triggered by a quest unlock anything? I lost a whole bunch after finishing 2nd dungeon and just wondering if I'm missing anything....

Also got the HP/SP swap ring which is awesome!

Am around lvl 31 - any personas that have decent SP stats? Best one's I've seen have about 40SP

Cider

I really wish I could enjoy first person dungeon crawlers but I can't. I've tried playing Etrian Odyssey and couldn't get into any of them. I didn't even bother finishing SMT IV because the battles were first person ;;

Nachos

Restart on the P4 side of Risky.

THAT is where the real challenge lies.

P4 cast... so gimp.

Naoto being the exception proving the rule.

I dunno, I started on the P3 side, but I think P4 Hero+Kanji+Yosuke/Zen+Naoto is a really good party that can carry you throughout the game.

Any tips for getting around the FOE in the 3rd dungeon
4th floor, the doll FOE that keeps following you around? At the start there was a switch. Any other switch I'm missing out on or something?
?
Which room? All of the big rooms have switches in them, and the third one has more than one. Maybe that helps, but if you need more, just tell me the coordinates.

Man, Aegis with pain-eater totally belongs in the backrow. A taunt that comes with a defense buff? Thank you very much.

Most of the hits barely tickle.

I kind of find it funny that she's now a tank/support.
I never found it to be that good as a diversion – it seemed to work as well as EO4's taunt, so not consistently. It's great as a defense buff, but Swordbreaker is overkill when the back row gets a defense bonus anyway. Plus, once you get Safeguard, Body Shield, and Life Wall on her, rows start to matter less and less.

ramyeon

I really wish I could enjoy first person dungeon crawlers but I can't. I've tried playing Etrian Odyssey and couldn't get into any of them. I didn't even bother finishing SMT IV because the battles were first person ;;
I can understand not liking first person dungeon crawlers since it's a pretty big part of the gameplay, but not finishing SMTIV just because the battles are first person is kind of crazy to me.

RDreamer

I keep on dying on the third floor of the first labyrinth.
Demoralising to lose 30 minutes of progress when I get to play like an hour a day.

Status effects. Use all of them you have on him.

There's a persona early that gives A leader skill to teleport to the dungeon entrance. It works 100% of the time and has been invaluable. I can get really brave knowing I can pull that out at any time.

I'd throw a growth accessory on him, at the very least. That's a pretty important request. I think the requirement for obtaining it is
your protagonist reaching a certain level -- I'm going to ballpark it at 55, which is around when you learn your last skill. I used both in my main party, though, and they were leveling evenly, so I don't know if the request requires them both to be that high or just the one you're playing as. I'm pretty sure level is the main gate over labyrinth progression because on a NG+ cycle it pops up really early on.

Request mechanics spoiler:
Either way, the request is a fight with just the two of you with no other party members allowed.

This seems to be advice on why people should use the P3 protagonist. It sound like this works in reverse though. I should definitely keep the P4 protag with some levels even if I don't want to use him?

How important is the request exactly?

Dantis

You said it owes its entire aesthetic to Jojo, which is actually nonsense. It owes its entire aesthetic to Soejima and looks pretty much nothing like Jojo at all. :p

And Twin Peaks? What? Outside of maybe Igor and the Velvet Room, what about anything in Persona do you think is owed to Twin Peaks?

You said it owes its entire aesthetic to Jojo, which is actually nonsense. It owes its entire aesthetic to Soejima and looks pretty much nothing like Jojo at all. :p

And Twin Peaks? What? Outside of maybe Igor and the Velvet Room, what about anything in Persona do you think is owed to Twin Peaks?

I could see someone looking at P4 and being reminded of Twin Peaks but I wouldn't say that P4 feels influenced by Twin Peaks in anyway.

By "aesthetic" I was talking less about the visual style and more the way things are visually represented. Stuff like your Persona rising out of your body or the way people "awaken" their Persona/Stand looks very, very similar and it's super apparent that Persona took a bunch of visual cues from Jojo. Perhaps "entire" was an exaggeration, but you get the idea.

As for Twin Peaks, the show is immensely popular in Japan so it's not unusual at all that Soejima or others took TP's characters or visuals into account when designing certain aspects of the series like Igor or the Velvet Room (this picture of Maki from P1 was explicitly mentioned to be based on Laura Palmer from TP). I don't know how much I can get into the similarities between P4 and TP without massive spoilers for both, but at the very least the idea of a supernatural mystery framed by highschool/small town dramedy is very emblematic of TP as a series.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
You don't need a dedicated healer. There are enough subpersonas and cards teaching healing spells. Aigis should be in the front row, because that's the row that takes the most damage. She'll protect the other 2 front row characters with swordbreaker.

Ah, does aegis have such a skill later on?

Pain eater is pretty great though.

goblin

This seems to be advice on why people should use the P3 protagonist. It sound like this works in reverse though. I should definitely keep the P4 protag with some levels even if I don't want to use him?

How important is the request exactly?

I think it's reasonably important and has some significant gameplay ramifications.
It unlocks evolved personas as well as every character's fourth skill.

That said, I didn't find it super difficult. If you go in with a good strategy and personas I could see doing it mostly solo or partially underleveled.

PK Gaming

And what about persona 1/2?

Persona 1 definitely draws from JoJo, or to be more specific, when it comes to the Personas themselves. The Persona summoning animation is fairly reminiscent of how Stands are summoned (a glowing blue aura + the spirit rising from their bodies). Unlike in the future Persona games, arcanas in Persona 1 serve no purpose other than to distinguish between different types of Personas (they don't relate to the user whatsoever) and it's blatantly similar to JoJo: Part 3's arcanas. Heck, the P1 protagonist's initial Persona is visual reminiscent of Star Platinum.

jjba-stardust-crusaders-star-platinum.jpg

By "aesthetic" I was talking less about the visual style and more the way things are visually represented. Stuff like your Persona rising out of your body or the way people "awaken" their Persona/Stand looks very, very similar and it's super apparent that Persona took a bunch of visual cues from Jojo. Perhaps "entire" was an exaggeration, but you get the idea.

As for Twin Peaks, the show is immensely popular in Japan so it's not unusual at all that Soejima or others took TP's characters or visuals into account when designing certain aspects of the series like Igor or the Velvet Room (this picture of Maki from P1 was explicitly mentioned to be based on Laura Palmer from TP). I don't know how much I can get into the similarities between P4 and TP without massive spoilers for both, but at the very least the idea of a supernatural mystery framed by highschool/small town dramedy is very emblematic of TP as a series.

Pretty much. It's also worth noting that there are a staggering amount parallels between Persona 4 and JoJo: Part IV. Some of it is definitely coincidental, but I think they had JoJo in mind (perhaps even subconsciously) when it came to certain aspects.

Top Bottom