• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth |OT| -- No Dating, Just Dungeons

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Finally gotten around to starting this up. Is it just me, or is the beginning/setup of the P3 path far more interesting than the P4?

ijed

Ah, does aegis have such a skill later on?

Pain eater is pretty great though.

Aigis gets swordbreaker at some point in her teens - Medium chance of halving physical damage to users row.

She also gets Body Shield in her 20's - Take attacks in place of allies with reduced damage (1 Row)

Makes her a good Protector - though she has pretty low agility which makes her pretty slow

Nachos

You said it owes its entire aesthetic to Jojo, which is actually nonsense. It owes its entire aesthetic to Soejima and looks pretty much nothing like Jojo at all. :p
You're forgetting the Kaneko side of the equation, and that's honestly the side I'd say beckons the similarities the most and that continues to influence things in its own idiosyncratic ways. Come to think about it, I think Kaneko's and Araki's art and design philosophies target similar objectives, but do so in their own ways.

I should get around to reading JoJo soon.

Ah, does aegis have such a skill later on?

Pain eater is pretty great though.
You get it relatively early-ish.

Gazoinks

Haha, Link abilities when you have someone with Death Chaser active is pretty awesome. You get three attacks off of one. :D

Also, the Dungeon 2 request bonus fight against
Liz
was really fun. Easier than I expected, though.

I still hope some of you are still actively playing this come Christmas... I am holding out for this bad boy till then, think I will start as the P3 cast as well from what I've read so far. Reading this is agonizing and great all in one.

Post 3rd Labyrinth P4side spoiler:
Man, that scene between Kanji and Ken was probably one of the most poignant scenes in the P3/4 series. Its a shame this game is just going to wind up retcon-ing itself out of existence along with that bit of character development.

Corpekata

Banned
Struggling with Dungeon 2, went back to dungeon 1 and killed one of the painting cards on floor 3, which leads to a very nice upgrade to make dungeon 2 less of a slog.

Totakeke

Finally finished the 4th labyrinth, took way longer than I expected because of trial and error while doing the puzzles (aka being dumb). And then... it's always nice to get welcomed with Mamudoon to your party.

It has to be said again that Ashly Burch is amazing as Rei.

magnetic

I'm sure this has been asked several times already so I apologize in advance, but as someone that despises EO games but has loves Persona, is this game for me?

Probably not. This game is much more gameplay-centric than it is story-centric, with more intricate battle mechanics and no running around town trying to please everybody.

Am I stuck with battle theme? It's terrible.

Wait till you hear the boss theme. I actually enjoyed how trashy it is, sounds like some edgy 90s eurodance. The guitar part actually is pretty good, though.

(This one.)

Ourobolus

Banned
Finally can extract skill cards. Impure Reach for Naoto, GO!

Now I just need to beat the shadow that spawned back in the 2nd dungeon...

Man, I am having such a hard time deciding if I want to grab this game, Captain Toad or Dragon Age.

Leaning towards Persona and Dragon Age since they'll give me a lot more playtime.

Ugh.

So how good is this game compared to Etrian Odyssey 4? Do all the dungeons look pretty much the same? I didn't quite like the look of the first dungeon which I saw on the Giantbomb quick look but I really enjoyed seeing all the characters again. New characters seemed pretty meh from what I saw.

Jintor

I'm seriously getting my ass kicked by everything on Hard Mode in the fucking first dungeon. Please tell me this is like P3/P4 where the first bits where you don't have any options are the hardest because I feel like tearing my hair out. One fucking mind charge mabufu and my entire party keels over or becomes vulnerable to getting the shit sworded out of them

spiritfox

I'm seriously getting my ass kicked by everything on Hard Mode in the fucking first dungeon. Please tell me this is like P3/P4 where the first bits where you don't have any options are the hardest because I feel like tearing my hair out. One fucking mind charge mabufu and my entire party keels over or becomes vulnerable to getting the shit sworded out of them

Yes. Floor 3 of the 1st labyrinth was the hardest I found the game. It got much easier after the first boss.

I'm fusing a new Persona for the first time....
So if I transfer skills onto this new Persona, am I effectively replacing skills that it might learn eventually? Thanks in advance

Jintor

I also don't understand the conditions for all-out attack or individual specialty. Is it just random, or does it have something to do with abusing weaknesses?

Ourobolus

Banned
I'm fusing a new Persona for the first time....
So if I transfer skills onto this new Persona, am I effectively replacing skills that it might learn eventually? Thanks in advance

You can always replace inherited skills with new ones learned. The only requirement is that you can only have a max of six, so any new ones will have to be forgotten or overwrite an old one.

I also don't understand the conditions for all-out attack or individual specialty. Is it just random, or does it have something to do with abusing weaknesses?

I don't know about the individual ones, but AOAs are triggered by the number of people in Boost Mode at the end of a turn. 5 guarantees an AOA, 4 makes it pretty likely, and 3 somewhat likely (I dunno the actual %). I don't think it can trigger for 2 or 1.

muteki

I just beat the first boss. It was a long fight but not too difficult.

Everything that opens up after the first dungeon has me a bit overwhelmed. Kid in a candy store here.

Hit the third floor finally and risky has definitely kicked in.

There are at least two enemies on this floor with a move that can OHKO anyone that isn't defending. One of the enemies acts twice per turn and likes to use it both turns.

Guess I'm grinding some levels and equipment.
Kind of a problem since I'm already going so slow. Got a recarm card I'll probably throw on somebody for a while because otherwise I can barely cover the cost of healing and a new Go-Home from materials gathered each time I go out, much less revival items. Obviously, running around with a person dead is not workable on this floor. That said, I have an okay amount of money.

Think I'm going to have to just fuse some Personas without collecting their skills though. I love that sub personas give temporary HP and SP that refills each fight.

Running Koromaru, Mitsuru, Yukari, P3, Aigis, Fuuka right now.
Loving Koromaru so am going to try and keep him around. I'm pretty much using him exclusively for Mudo and Hama right now, but I hear Naoto does that better, so I'll have to find a better use for him to keep him. I was planning on giving Aigis and Fuuka the boot ASAP but I hear Aigis makes a good tank and Fuuka's healing skill is supposed to outclass Rise for a while. Definitely can use the extra healing. Decisions, decisions.

Two straight trips to the Velvet Room resulted in two different Marie poems. I feel like the game is trolling me.

The third floor of that dungeon is hard, but I found the second dungeon much easier on hard. The boss was a complete joke, and most of the FOEs were manageable. Although I've just started the third dungeon and it seems much harder.

Sera O

Banned
Two straight trips to the Velvet Room resulted in two different Marie poems. I feel like the game is trolling me.

The third floor of that dungeon is hard, but I found the second dungeon much easier on hard. The boss was a complete joke, and most of the FOEs were manageable. Although I've just started the third dungeon and it seems much harder.

Marie comes out with a new pile of crap every time a dungeon opens up, so the first couple of visits to the velvet room are a frenzy of mashing A for me.

I'd agree with you, 2nd dungeon enemies seemed very easy (playing on hard) - I wondered if I should have gone with risky. The 3rd made me realize that, nope, hard is good. Some of the mobs can be devastating if you're not set up to immediately debilitate them. I found the boss disappointing, but the dungeon atmosphere is so threatening that I expected something terrifying.

Regarding the third dungeon's FOEs, I'd appreciate any hint about how to kill
the doll? I know it's weak to pierce and electricity. The problem I'm having is the use of diarahan, and my inability to get any ailments/binds to stick that would prevent it. The first time I just ran from the fight after the first diarahan, as I didn't have an revive items. The second time, I persevered thinking it was a one time thing. . . but it pulled that shit out again when it was almost dead. If there is something I did that triggered her to do that, it would be great to know. I threw my hands up and decided to go do something else at that point.

I'm ready to start the 4th one soon. Still really enjoying this game despite how I thought I was going to be burned out on it by now.

Marie comes out with a new pile of crap every time a dungeon opens up, so the first couple of visits to the velvet room are a frenzy of mashing A for me.

I'd agree with you, 2nd dungeon enemies seemed very easy (playing on hard) - I wondered if I should have gone with risky. The 3rd made me realize that, nope, hard is good. Some of the mobs can be devastating if you're not set up to immediately debilitate them. I found the boss disappointing, but the dungeon atmosphere is so threatening that I expected something terrifying.

the doll? I know it's weak to pierce and electricity. The problem I'm having is the use of diarahan, and my inability to get any ailments/binds to stick that would prevent it. The first time I just ran from the fight after the first diarahan, as I didn't have an revive items. The second time, I persevered thinking it was a one time thing. . . but it pulled that shit out again when it was almost dead. If there is something I did that triggered her to do that, it would be great to know. I threw my hands up and decided to go do something else at that point.

I'm ready to start the 4th one soon. Still really enjoying this game despite how I thought I was going to be burned out on it by now.

Diarahan is triggered every 10 turns, so you either have to bind it or kill it before then. I just held off on it until half way through the next dungeon so that I could deal enough damage to kill it before it healed.

Related question regarding the fourth dungeons FOEs:
Anyone have any idea how to kill the Festival Dudes? Elizabeth hinted at taking 4 male party members to make things easier, but that doesn't seem to have changed anything about the fight.

Sera O

Banned
Diarahan is triggered every 10 turns, so you either have to bind it or kill it before then. I just held off on it until half way through the next dungeon so that I could deal enough damage to kill it before it healed.

Thanks, I guess I was just playing it too conservative and should have been full-on blitzing. I'll just come back to it later.

I dont know what it is, but im just losing interest in this game. I was really pumped for it too. I guess after i put it on the back burner i just dont want to play it. i need help

I wanted to add to this that
the Old Doll is actually weak to stab, electricity, AND cut. With the right party you can be in Boost mode almost the entire time and not spend any MP no matter what skills you use.

The only time I could ever get a magic bind to land (and quite frequently at that) was by using Silent Circle paired with Binding Hands. I've killed the fucking thing three times now. I don't even know how you're actually supposed to get through the long rooms while avoiding it.

In other news, I just entered the fourth dungeon and the motif and music in here are awesome! Definitely my favourite dungeon skin so far.

RDreamer

Started out P4, and finally got to the part where the P3 crew joins. I'm enjoying this so much, but wow how in the world do I choose between all of them!? I had a hard enough time in each P3 and P4!

Also, any tips for who I should give Recarm and Media to? Does Yukari get Recarm at some point on her main persona? What about Yukiko?

Xenoflare

Started out P4, and finally got to the part where the P3 crew joins. I'm enjoying this so much, but wow how in the world do I choose between all of them!? I had a hard enough time in each P3 and P4!

Also, any tips for who I should give Recarm and Media to? Does Yukari get Recarm at some point on her main persona? What about Yukiko?

I think neither of them is getting Recarms. I think Teddie and Ken are the ones who gets them. Yukiko actually only has the Dia line of spells for default (Dia-Diarama-Diarahan)

Yukari gets Dia and Media.

RDreamer

I think neither of them is getting Recarms. I think Teddie and Ken are the ones who gets them. Yukiko actually only has the Dia line of spells for default (Dia-Diarama-Diarahan)

Yukari gets Dia and Media.

Does Yukari get the evolutions of Dia and Media, too?

Second labyrinth spoilers up to the fourth floor

Heck yeah, defeated Elizabeth at level 22/23!

Also omg did Aki just read one of Marie's poems

I love this game.

Aghhhh! I went through the third floor of the second dungeon without saving or going back for supplies. When i unlocked the door near the entrance and Rise told me a shadow was behind it, I figured it would be some mid level weakling. But nope. F.O.E. Full blast kicking my ass.

That wasn't what killed me though, it was the random battle literally three steps away from the stairs, that killed me. 2 hours lost because I was too confidant to use a Goho-M...

Kensuke

So, the binding skills, navi skills and link skills, are those from Etrian Odyssey? I'm only familiar with the Persona side.

Gazoinks

So, the binding skills, navi skills and link skills, are those from Etrian Odyssey? I'm only familiar with the Persona side.

Binds and Links are, Navi are a variation on a similar system from the EO games where you had special moves you could use when a bar filled, but they were attached to your party as a whole instead of a specific character.

Kensuke

Binds and Links are, Navi are a variation on a similar system from the EO games where you had special moves you could use when a bar filled, but they were attached to your party as a whole instead of a specific character.

Thanks. What about boost mode though? I might like it even more than 'press turn'.

joe2187

Banned
Well, it seems Im cursed when it comes to this game since I never got my issue worked out with Best Buy

and when I decided to buy it from amazon again, it seems it was lost in transit.

luckily Amazon support is nice and refunded me. But some sort of strange omen is preventing me from ever playing this game.

Top Bottom