• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth |OT| -- No Dating, Just Dungeons

Tidd

I just ordered a US Wild Card Edition even though I already bought this game last friday (Europe). What have I done? <.< Well, I just have to sell the US version (which will be hard lol) and the 3DS case which I already imported from Japan a few months ago.

Nonetheless I LOVE THIS GAME! It screams fan service and this is great. Finished the 2nd dungeon a few hours ago and it was glorious. But I really want to see all possibilities without going through every possible question again.
I got Rise <3

goblin

Related question regarding the fourth dungeons FOEs:
Anyone have any idea how to kill the Festival Dudes? Elizabeth hinted at taking 4 male party members to make things easier, but that doesn't seem to have changed anything about the fight.
Which four party members are you taking? The game's definition is rather strict so Zen, Teddie, Koromaru and Ken don't count. When you bring a correct composition you'll see the message: "Festival Dudes is fired up!" before they act.

They get significantly easier, so don't worry if you have to fill your party with one or two characters who aren't up to par.

If you're having trouble getting bind skills to land, Pabilsag learns Binding Hands and Belphagor yields the Binding Hands skill card.

Which four party members are you taking? The game's definition is rather strict so Zen, Teddie, Koromaru and Ken don't count. When you bring a correct composition you'll see the message: "Festival Dudes is fired up!" before they act.

They get significantly easier, so don't worry if you have to fill your party with one or two characters who aren't up to par.

If you're having trouble getting bind skills to land, Pabilsag learns Binding Hands and Belphagor yields the Binding Hands skill card.

Thanks, I tried once with Teddie and another time with Zen, so that would have been the problem

Does Yukari get the evolutions of Dia and Media, too?

Yes, up to the top tier versions.

Totakeke

Related question regarding the fourth dungeons FOEs:
Anyone have any idea how to kill the Festival Dudes? Elizabeth hinted at taking 4 male party members to make things easier, but that doesn't seem to have changed anything about the fight.

I did bring 4 guys, Junpei, Akihiko, the both MCs, and they seem to be less crazy as usual. Other than that I just killed them as usual even with a level 40 Junpei in front. Are you dying too fast still? Debilitate helped a ton I think.

ramyeon

Finally got this and started last night. Half way through floor 3 of the first labyrinth now. Loving it. The game opened up a lot when sub Personas and fusion were finally unlocked, and I'm just really enjoying it.

Started with P3 side. Running P3MC, Mitsuru and Shinjiro in the front, Aigis and Yukari in the back. Gonna have to rethink my party once I can add in the P4 characters though... may very well switch Yukari out for Yukiko and Mitsuru out for Naoto.

Busaiku

Man, these spikes are just so dumb.
I need items to walk on them, limiting the number of items I can carry, thus causing me to go back and forth.

I was really liking the game until this.

ramyeon

You should be able to draw them in. Not sure.
I am pretty sure you need to actually step on most parts of the map to get the percentage. I'm only in the first labyrinth but there are a few spots that were traversed by FOEs so I just drew in the map but I had to actually go in and walk on it too to get the percentage to count.

Firestar

I am pretty sure you need to actually step on most parts of the map to get the percentage. I'm only in the first labyrinth but there are a few spots that were traversed by FOEs so I just drew in the map but I had to actually go in and walk on it too to get the percentage to count.

Yeah, I'm on the 4th labyrinth and from what I can tell a general rule is that you need to go on every block that is possible to go on. If an FOE moves or anything like that you will need to still go to it's original spot and all of its path. Only time you won't need to go somewhere obviously is if it is impossible (under FOE's that don't move, chests, etc)

Sera O

Banned
The only time I could ever get a magic bind to land (and quite frequently at that) was by using Silent Circle paired with Binding Hands. I've killed the fucking thing three times now. I don't even know how you're actually supposed to get through the long rooms while avoiding it.

In other news, I just entered the fourth dungeon and the motif and music in here are awesome! Definitely my favourite dungeon skin so far.

Thanks, for me, getting through that chase sequence was basically luck and fleeing until
the narrow area where you can trap it. Constantly getting caught and escaping makes that sequence tedious more than anything, though.
I have now leveled enough to fuse Pabilsag who learns binding hands, so I'll go back with a tailored team in a bit.

I'm enjoying the 4th dungeon atmosphere/music so much. I don't want to go back to creepy doll land yet.

Jintor

I'm going to throw my fucking 3ds through the wall. Fuck this third floor first labyrinth. Fuck heat scales. Fuck these guys who cast thorn whatever and kill you after one rakukaja. Fuck everything

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
What are you having trouble with?

Don't really find it to be that bad other than the large beetle.

Also is hunter prayer a battle navi skill or a dungeon navi skill?

Jintor

The main thing is I have no good sense of when to disengage, it feels like I'm going well and then in one turn everything completely falls apart

Antiwhippy

Hmm, how so? If you mean when to stop and goho-m then it's usually when I find a shortcut.

For battles themselves I find that it's best to make sure that the enemies get to do as little as possible. Which usually means exploiting the boost mode and also use a lot of hama and mudo. Almost every enemy is either weak to hama or mudo in the first and second dungeons.

Exploit the rows. Having a tank with pain-eater helps ALOT.

Jintor

Front row 4MC, Chie, Kanji
Back Row Yuki, Naoto

Spamming mudo and hama. Still futzing around with the persona system, but only level 7, so can't really fuse too much

PK Gaming

Front row 4MC, Chie, Kanji
Back Row Yuki, Naoto

Spamming mudo and hama. Still futzing around with the persona system, but only level 7, so can't really fuse too much

Hmm. That's a pretty decent team setup, but Chie, Kanji and Yukiko are fairly slow so enemies may move before them. You could get another speedster like Yosuke, but he's probably too low of a level to catchup. Your issues in combat might also stem from not having good enough sub Personas.

Xenoflare

I use

P3MC/P4MC/Akihiko

Yukari/Aigis.

I have swordbreaker on Akihiko and Aigis and it helps a lot, I slapped a ST/MA reverse making the P3 MC in to a tad squisher version of Akihiko.

Akihiko with Stardrop is a really nice move. He's always the first to act so it maximizes it's effect

Akihiko/Yukari/Aigis is also my final team for P3 as well. I didn't choose them because of it intentionally, kinda funny when I realized that I did. .

trinest

As someone who got into the series in Persona 4, loved the characters but hated the dungeon sections, would I enjoy this? I wouldn't mind the dungeon sections if there is like structure to them or missions or something other then "GET TO THE END THEN KILL THE BOSS". That feels draining at times.

ramyeon

As someone who got into the series in Persona 4, loved the characters but hated the dungeon sections, would I enjoy this? I wouldn't mind the dungeon sections if there is like structure to them or missions or something other then "GET TO THE END THEN KILL THE BOSS". That feels draining at times.
The dungeons in this are structured with puzzles in them and more similar to Etrian Odyssey style dungeons than P3/4 dungeons.

---

So hard deciding on a team :( I kind of want to use all P3 characters the first time through but even then I can't decide on which ones.

Xenoflare

The dungeons for this game is really, really expansive, think Strange Journey and Persona 1, of course if you played Etrian Odyssey you'll know exactly what you are going into.

Long story short, the dungeon for this game is extremely complex that involves mapping and strategy as each dungeon has it's own puzzles and gimmicks. In terms of design of complexity it blows P3/P4 out of the water. The dungeon is the selling point for the game that it's based on (EO)

This game for me oddly has an old Persona vibe to it due to the complex FPS dungeon and the sub persona mechanic, which I absolutely love.

Antiwhippy

So are there FOE specific personas or is every persona fusable?

Kinda just want to dump the really high level personas I get from FOEs mostly because they have none of the great skills I want to pass down.

Also I kinda just did sacrificed one just to see how it went and want to know if I didn't fuck up by sacrificing a persona I can't fuse back.

Even with weaknesses killing things takes so long in this game. Enemies hit hard as hell too. I'm sure I'll magically feel like the game is too easy after a point but for now it's pretty tough on hard.

Light the Fire Up in the Night? It's fantastic. Can't get enough of it.

Really hate the unintelligible lyrics. After playing SMT IV I can't take this Meguro-pop anymore.

spiritfox

So are there FOE specific personas or is every persona fusable?

Kinda just want to dump the really high level personas I get from FOEs mostly because they have none of the great skills I want to pass down.

Also I kinda just did sacrificed one just to see how it went and want to know if I didn't fuck up by sacrificing a persona I can't fuse back.

No. You can get them from regular enemies and by fusing.

Antiwhippy

Cool, that's good to know.

Even with weaknesses killing things takes so long in this game. Enemies hit hard as hell too. I'm sure I'll magically feel like the game is too easy after a point but for now it's pretty tough on hard.

Which section are you in right now?

I'm up to the second dungeon and every normal enemy is pretty much weak to dark or light.

Which section are you in right now?

I'm up to the second dungeon and every normal enemy is pretty much weak to dark or light.

Just got to the third floor of the first labyrinth. It seems excessive from my experience playing other persona games. I have to hit an enemies weakness 4-5 times before they die. It's balanced out by the fact that it doesn't cost sp after the first time but I'd much rather the battles just end quicker.

I'll have to start trying out hama/mudo.

Antiwhippy

Seriously man.

Hama/mudo all day.

The only one that doesn't seem to have that weakness are those big beetles from what I've experienced.

This is on risky btw.

ZeroX03

Banned
My copy finally arrived. I'm so happy. Have not had a chance to play yet.

Also got the Tarot cards. I already have Persona 4 Ultimax digital though, not sure what to do with a half set I can't easily complete.

ramyeon

Man... Sticking with one party is so hard in this. Is it easy to grind characters up? I notice they gain EXP from doing requests. I'm a bit worried since I heard you need to level up both MCs for a late game request but I really don't want them both in my party (Gonna do a second play through on the P4 side).

bobohoro

Man... Sticking with one party is so hard in this. Is it easy to grind characters up? I notice they gain EXP from doing requests. I'm a bit worried since I heard you need to level up both MCs for a late game request but I really don't want them both in my party (Gonna do a second play through on the P4 side).

I'm only on Dungeon 2, Floor 3, but so far the quests gave high amounts of exp. This results in my main party being around Lv 17 and those I didn't use leveled up to Lv 15. Together with freely equipable Sub-Personas you should be good to take some lower level members with you if you need them.

Rei/Zen are a different story, don't know how useful those two will be if they fall behind in levels too much.

I'm rocking P4MC/Aigis/Kanji and P3MC/Naoto right now. Thinking about getting Akihiko in there somehow, since his moveset and stats could make for some interesting strategies, but Kanji is too awesome as a character and damage dealer and I just really like Aigis. And Swordbreaker is nice too.

ramyeon

I'm only on Dungeon 2, Floor 3, but so far the quests gave high amounts of exp. This results in my main party being around Lv 17 and those I didn't use leveled up to Lv 15. Together with freely equipable Sub-Personas you should be good to take some lower level members with you if you need them.

Rei/Zen are a different story, don't know how useful those two will be if they fall behind in levels too much.

I'm rocking P4MC/Aigis/Kanji and P3MC/Naoto right now. Thinking about getting Akihiko in there somehow, since his moveset and stats could make for some interesting strategies, but Kanji is too awesome as a character and damage dealer and I just really like Aigis. And Swordbreaker is nice too.
That's good to hear, honestly I don't really intend to use Rei/Zen at all so they don't worry me too much.

Using P3MC/Aigis/Akihiko and Naoto/Yukiko at the moment. I like this team but I keep thinking of other characters I wish I could fit in there too (Like Kanji, Mitsuru and Shinji). Oh well.

I'm going to throw my fucking 3ds through the wall. Fuck this third floor first labyrinth. Fuck heat scales. Fuck these guys who cast thorn whatever and kill you after one rakukaja. Fuck everything
Lol, that's about where i am with risky. Not too frustrated but if mudo doesn't hit somebody probably dies. On every third floor encounter. If i run into a beetle, there is about a 40% chance of party wipe before i manage to run. If i run into the other enemy with the thorn skill, someone dies. Progress is slow.

Xenoflare

That's good to hear, honestly I don't really intend to use Rei/Zen at all so they don't worry me too much.

Using P3MC/Aigis/Akihiko and Naoto/Yukiko at the moment. I like this team but I keep thinking of other characters I wish I could fit in there too (Like Kanji, Mitsuru and Shinji). Oh well.

One crucial detail to take note of is that the experience points for the subsequent side quest actually stays the same, so the level gap would widen eventually anyways.

I'm at 47 and my benched characters are at 25. I have Naoto wearing a growth 2 making her at 35.

The game also does not scale exp, so if you want to grind for benched characters it's best to make them wear growth accessories because it gives them the exp bonus on top of the exp they earn.

Of course you can always just bring MC+ the person you want to level up so you get a bigger chunk of the EXP.

Since doing that will grant you more exp for the MC, fusion would be easier too. It would benefit the whole party.

Ourobolus

Banned
XQF5nFb.jpg

TBDPW2A.jpg

bI2ur5x.jpg
Pics

GeekyDad

Drawing doesn't give map %. Honestly, I gave up on doing the map chests after the first couple of floors. I'm sure the rewards are awesome, but it's tedious and unfun for me.

I've gotten 100 percent, and I was able to get the chests open for most floors drawing in areas. I drew all the spike areas in with green to indicate what they were, and I would draw over FOE spots as well. Never a problem. The only time I had a problem was when I would die and save map data.

Meia

Honestly, I've been mapping/going over everything I can, and then just using less than 10 play coins to just open up the chest since I'm usually at 98-99% anyway. Had mapped out everything of floor 3 of first dungeon and still wasn't at 100%, and couldn't for the life of me figure out what I was missing, so just said "screw it".

Thoraxes

My only problem is that Mitsuru gets one-shot by the
Burning Beetles
on that floor.

My advice for the scales and the sleep tables is to use binds. They are your friend.

ZeroX03

Banned
It seems like Margaret's new voice actress has trouble sustaining the voice. Feels like she keeps slipping in and out of it.

Busaiku

Managing multiple parties is some serious effort for me.
In most RPGs, I usually manage to get enough money to buy optimal equpiments for everyone, and just swap them out, but I'm not getting tons of money, so I have to share them.
I end up forgetting to switch sub Personas too.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
So I went ahead and picked it up any ways despite hating EO games, and it's crazy how much more enjoyable EO gameplay is to me now that I have a cast of characters I actually give a shit about.

Top Bottom