• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth |OT| -- No Dating, Just Dungeons

Setsu00

So I'm kinda stuck again. What am I supposed to do at the very beginning of the third labyrinth's third floor?
I've acquired the Darkness Key and unlocked the door and flipped the switch in the unlocked room meaning the FOEs are gone. I can't find a door or a secret passage and noone's commenting anything, so I don't even know whether this is meant to be a puzzle or not. I guess I'm just stupid.

Oh man, the destined partner sequence was amazing!
I got Fuuka, who I usually hated, but after going through it it made me realize I actually really like Fuuka!

And the Theo quest with Kanji, oh my god

arue

Oh man, the destined partner sequence was amazing!
I got Fuuka, who I usually hated, but after going through it it made me realize I actually really like Fuuka!

And the Theo quest with Kanji, oh my god

End of dungeon 2 spoiler.
I got Ken. It was disappointing and hilarious at the same time.

Just started the third dungeon
and it's harder to hear the sound when you're standing next to a shortcut. That baby FOE though.

First dungeon is quite a bit shorter than i expected. I hope they are not all this small.

I also do not have the damage output to kill the boss so it looks like I'm off to grind city.

PK Gaming

Sadly this is the case for a number of characters.
Akhiko, Chie, and Teddie really suffer.

It's still fun and fanservicey, but just kind of disappointing.

On the other hand, certain characters like Margaret and Elizabeth got some much needed development and other characters such as Kanji, Ken and Yosuke were given some great scenes.

Akihiko's characterization is just plain unforgivable though, haha.

goblin

So I'm kinda stuck again. What am I supposed to do at the very beginning of the third labyrinth's third floor?
I've acquired the Darkness Key and unlocked the door and flipped the switch in the unlocked room meaning the FOEs are gone. I can't find a door or a secret passage and noone's commenting anything, so I don't even know whether this is meant to be a puzzle or not. I guess I'm just stupid.

If you are where I think you are, there should be a door leading south in the far southeast corner of the room you're in. From where you flip the switch (two squares east of the darkness key door), step north, east five times, then south.

Just started the third dungeon
and it's harder to hear the sound when you're standing next to a shortcut. That baby FOE though.

If you get Faerie's Vigil or, preferably, Clairvoyance on your labyrinth navigation persona then you never have to worry about missing shortcuts again. Dragging and dropping the shortcut icon onto the pulsing green shortcut indicator will even let you know in advance what direction they go and if they're one or two-way.

bobohoro

I'm having a hard time clearly understanding Navigator skills. I worked out that battle skills are only available when you have your battle navigator equip them (duh!) but I am unsure on the others. Snake Glare (the one that prevents ambushes) works on the LabNav too (or only on that one?) but what about the gathering skills, or the material drop skills?

Also thought about only using one Navigator, but then I would miss out on leveling up the other as well as another Sub.

And P3MC is great in event scenes. So smooth.

Hugstable

Banned
I'm having a really hard time with the second dungeons boss right now. Even though I'm hitting his weaknesses, none of my party seem to be able to do more than 30 damage to him, and on top of it his Holy Wrath attack makes this fight beyond annoying. I honestly don't know what to do right now and beat this guy.

goblin

I'm having a hard time clearly understanding Navigator skills. I worked out that battle skills are only available when you have your battle navigator equip them (duh!) but I am unsure on the others. Snake Glare (the one that prevents ambushes) works on the LabNav too (or only on that one?) but what about the gathering skills, or the material drop skills?

Power spot gathering skills like Cornucopia, Harvest Prayer et al. are for your labyrinth navigator. The post-turn and post-battle HP recovery skills need to be equipped on your battle navigator so I assume the material drop skill (Hunting Prayer?) is the same, but I never tested it to be sure.

Just cleared the first dungeon boss. Managed to make it with everyone alive but it was resource intensive. Had to use my only soma drop to get sp enough for poisma to stick. Could not have finished without poisma, plain and simple. Would have had to grind out at least one level for another -la spell.

On to the second dungeon though. Excited to have the full team available now.

Having serious second thoughts on risky. Grinding out the level i would have needed without poisma would have taken over an hour and possibly two. Not fun.

Busaiku

I hate that higher level spells replace the lower ones.
They cost so much more SP, so it actually makes going through the dungeon harder...

daydream

Banned
Wish the voices weren't so muted for the all-out attacks. Surely that's something Atlus could patch (but won't). Not even talking about the poor sound quality, just raising the volume would be an improvement.

Enk

makes good threads.
Honestly, I've been mapping/going over everything I can, and then just using less than 10 play coins to just open up the chest since I'm usually at 98-99% anyway. Had mapped out everything of floor 3 of first dungeon and still wasn't at 100%, and couldn't for the life of me figure out what I was missing, so just said "screw it".

If you examine the chest it will highlight the tiles on your map that you still need to step over.

PK Gaming

I'm having a really hard time with the second dungeons boss right now. Even though I'm hitting his weaknesses, none of my party seem to be able to do more than 30 damage to him, and on top of it his Holy Wrath attack makes this fight beyond annoying. I honestly don't know what to do right now and beat this guy.

Holy Wrath can be avoided by not breaking his vows (don't attack, use items, use skills, etc).

If your damage is low, then you might need to get strong subPersonas. It uses Mazionga, so plan accordingly.

RDreamer

Just cleared the first dungeon boss. Managed to make it with everyone alive but it was resource intensive. Had to use my only soma drop to get sp enough for poisma to stick. Could not have finished without poisma, plain and simple. Would have had to grind out at least one level for another -la spell.

On to the second dungeon though. Excited to have the full team available now.

Having serious second thoughts on risky. Grinding out the level i would have needed without poisma would have taken over an hour and possibly two. Not fun.

You actually got Poisma to stick? My first try I used up my entire sp pool on my character tryig and just missed the entire time. Couldn't beat the boss because at like 10% health she had worn me down so damned much. Next battle I didn't bother with status effects, assuming they wouldn't stick since none could the first time.

About the plant thing in the first labyrinth, when I came back after defeating the boss I wasn't able to continue watering it. Do I miss something important like a quest? Because I'm trying to do a 100% run on my first playthrough. Or was it just a mini thing like in the second labyrinth when you need to reunite the two dolls?

And in the third labyrinth, second floor
Ok so I reached a dead end and I don't remember a lot but I had to choose between picking something blue, red, or tying them. I tied them and nothing happened. What happens if you choose the other two?

Also the FOE is scary
1JN7H32.png

Labrys

Question about the navigators, so there's both Fuuka and Rise. So if I put a subpersona on Fuuka and she's my battle navigator the navi skills will be in my leader skills, and subsequently any navi skills on Rise would be active while exploring, right?

Also concerning the voices, does it just make the voice different or does it change the character portrait as well? I know that the Theo/Liz/Margaret/Marie/Nanako ones are coming out and I'm considering getting Theo Liz and Nanako.

About the plant thing in the first labyrinth, when I came back after defeating the boss I wasn't able to continue watering it. Do I miss something important like a quest? Because I'm trying to do a 100% run on my first playthrough. Or was it just a mini thing like in the second labyrinth when you need to reunite the two dolls?

You just get an accessory from it, it's not too important, but it's a good idea to do anything like that as soon as it comes up to avoid missing stuff.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
There's just not much to get at all other than "I want to go home" and "I want to eat".

Even the former has largely taken a backseat.

You just get an accessory from it, it's not too important, but it's a good idea to do anything like that as soon as it comes up to avoid missing stuff.
Gotcha. Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm doing, even with quests like
battling Elizabeth or the beetle from the first boss' place.
since I have fear on running out of time to do them or something, it's just that that one didn't specifically said it was only available before completing the dungeon, just "Maybe you should come back later". No warning either.
Am I alone in thinking that rei is a terrible character?

Because rei is a terrible character.
I at first really liked Rei, but now it's annoying every time she confuses what someone says with food. Uggh.

Zen on other hand is pretty cool.

ramyeon

Getting towards the end of the second dungeon, still feel over levelled despite not actually having done any grinding (I'm around level 21 on the third floor).

Settled on P4MC, Akihiko, Aigis in front and Naoto and P3MC in the back.

Antiwhippy

Aegis orgia mode + shura tensei = get rekt.

Now if I could somehow also stack a power charge or tarukaja on her too...

CrovaxPSO

Getting towards the end of the second dungeon, still feel over levelled despite not actually having done any grinding (I'm around level 21 on the third floor).

Settled on P4MC, Akihiko, Aigis in front and Naoto and P3MC in the back.

I felt the same way, finished the 2nd labyrinth around level 25 and things were pretty easy. The start of the 3rd dungeon feels much harder (relatively) again though. Playing on normal.

You actually got Poisma to stick? My first try I used up my entire sp pool on my character tryig and just missed the entire time. Couldn't beat the boss because at like 10% health she had worn me down so damned much. Next battle I didn't bother with status effects, assuming they wouldn't stick since none could the first time.
Yeah. It took a few turns, but it ticks for 160 a turn for about four turns so definitely worth it. Only orgia mode Aigis comes close to that output, but that's just for two turns.

Am I alone in thinking that rei is a terrible character?

Because rei is a terrible character.

I posted this in the Persona community thread:

Zen is whatever. His worst crime is that he's bland, which isn't great, but isn't terrible or anything. If nothing else, I like that he's not the hotheaded overprotective stereotype, so he's got at least a little invention in him.

Rei is awful. Her entire character falls into "Look how cute she is! Care about her because she's cute!"

I really hate when female characters are given this excuse for characterization. Reducing something's entire existence to "It's cute! Aww!" is something you do to objects (and animals in certain contexts), not to people.

Edit: To clarify, it'd be fine if she was cute as long as she had something else to her. Right now she's a cute drawing for everyone to fawn over. Eating a lot isn't a personality trait.

Jamix012

On the other hand, certain characters like Margaret and Elizabeth got some much needed development and other characters such as Kanji, Ken and Yosuke were given some great scenes.

Wow damn I disagree with this in multiple ways.

Akihiko's characterisation is leagues better than Arena and at least as good as P3. Yes, he mentions protein one too many times, but I'm so happy his relationship with Shinji has been more fleshed out. Elizabeth feels more boring than both P3 and Arena to me. Eh.

I still don't like Ken, so nothing has changed for me there, Yosuke is about the same IMO and Kanji is distinctly the character I feels suffers the most. He was so much more than a man who liked feminine things, which is kind of what he's been boiled down to. He's had no real good interactions with anyone either. (granted I'm only like 15 hours in.)

I can agree that Margaret is marginally better I suppose.

Dugna

So in a few weeks I can hopefully pick up one of those special 3DS. I'm wondering, even though this is the Persona Q thread. What's a good mem card to get with the 3DS?? I might be picking up some backlog titles I've been itching to get since I've seen the 3DS launch.

so I made a link king Orpheus Telos for Akihiko:

Flame Link
Frost Link
Bolt Link
Double Link
Golden Link
Swift Strike

My concern is as I'm leveling I'm going to have to pass on pretty much all his other skills to keep this set up, otherwise reduce my elemental abilities (and obviously i can get rid of swift strike for something better.

Just wondering if its other skills are good enough to not leave him like this in the compendium in order to fuse super link personas later on?

kewlmyc

Can F.O.E's not be Binded? Scarecrow seems to never work.

Also, I'm not sure how Link exactly works. If you use it and the next character uses a link, then the attack does additional damage?

spiritfox

Can F.O.E's not be Binded? Scarecrow seems to never work.

Also, I'm not sure how Link exactly works. If you use it and the next character uses a link, then the attack does additional damage?

They can, they just have higher resists to binds and ailments.

Hugstable

Banned

Flame Link
Frost Link
Bolt Link
Double Link
Golden Link
Swift Strike

My concern is as I'm leveling I'm going to have to pass on pretty much all his other skills to keep this set up, otherwise reduce my elemental abilities (and obviously i can get rid of swift strike for something better.

Just wondering if its other skills are good enough to not leave him like this in the compendium in order to fuse super link personas later on?

I made the same thing, except replace Swift Strike with Pain Eater. Through Orpheus on my Aigis, she's probably about to wreck shit while being a tank. Haven't tested it out yet, but I hope it ends up working good on her.

Bamboo Boy

Neo Member
20 hours in and I'm liking this game so much. I've never played any EO game, but I loved the Persona games, so it's a relief that I liked this one (I even prefer this battle style than the one in Persona series).

I have the same question about the Link skills. If you use one Link after another do you get a bonus damage or something?

goblin

Flame Link
Frost Link
Bolt Link
Double Link
Golden Link
Swift Strike

Orpheus Telos learns:
Healing Harp - Restore HP and remove ailments/Binds each turn for 3 turns. (Party)
Forked Spear - Medium chance of another attack after regular attack. [Skill Card]
Absorb Fire
Return from Yomi - Medium chance of HP restore when the user's HP drops below 30%.
Fire Amp
[Navi] Victory Cry - Full HP restore at the end of battle. (Party)

Those are useful skills to splash onto other personas, but none of them are really essential for linking. The best early-ish link persona is, in my opinion,
Turdak

Regardless, around level 30 you start to get access to personas that yield link-related skill cards; this lets you offload some core link abilities to your character's skill card slots and have some more flexibility with your sub-persona's learned skills. I think the elemental link skill cards can be acquired, from lowest to highest level, in this order:
Bolt, Frost, Gale, Flame.

I have the same question about the Link skills. If you use one Link after another do you get a bonus damage or something?

When a character uses a Link skill on an enemy, that character will follow up the next damaging attack -- within the same turn! -- against that enemy with that Link skill. Example:

Akihiko hits Arcane Turret A with Flame Link.
Yukiko hits Arcane Turret A and Arcane Turret B with Maragidyne.
- Akihiko automatically hits Arcane Turret A with Flame Link again because it just took damage.

Links will trigger off of any direct damage; a regular attack, a spell, a physical skill, or even an attack item. By default, a link will only trigger once. However, there's a line of skills (Double/Triple/Quadruple/Infinite Link) that will let them trigger repeatedly off of subsequent attacks, as well as another skill (Golden Link) that increases link damage as it continues to activate in a given turn.

Each enemy can have one active link at a time; if you hit a linked target with another link skill, it'll trigger the first link and then replace that with the new link. Because of this, you generally only want one character dedicated to linking, and that character should be fast so they create the link early in the turn and give you as many chances as possible to capitalize on it with your other characters.

Antiwhippy

I dunno if I'm just overlevelled or what but I seem to be able to deal with FOEs even on my first time through the dungeon.

Just accidentally encountered the foe in dungeon 3 and he wasn't that hard. Impure reach poison circle is pretty amazing.

I'm level 30 in the first floor of the third dungeon and have not done any grinding.

Than again the regular enemies there are giving me more trouble than the FOEs.

Just fought that special doll FOE in the 3rd dungeon that follows you around, I was tired of it getting in my face.

Now I know how mad enemies must feel when I spam Naoto's dark/light skills, doll was wiping out 3 of my guys every time it used Mamudo.(For some reason P4MC never gets hit by it)

I beat the dumb thing though, luckily it wasn't like the regular doll FOEs where my attacks miss a lot.

spiritfox

Just fought that special doll FOE in the 3rd dungeon that follows you around, I was tired of it getting in my face.

Now I know how mad enemies must feel when I spam Naoto's dark/light skills, doll was wiping out 3 of my guys every time it used Mamudo.(For some reason P4MC never gets hit by it)

I beat the dumb thing though, luckily it wasn't like the regular doll FOEs where my attacks miss a lot.

Izanagi nulls Dark, so he'll never be hit by it.

Holy shit exposition dump. I like Rei more now. Also, that was the worst boss. Just an endurance test.

I love the SMT series (mainly Nocturne, IV and DDS) and the Persona games. I've never played Etrian Odyssey though and I would play this with map making already enabled.

Is this worth picking up for $50, or should I wait for a sale?

I'm about to beat FE:Awakening and start Bravely Default, so I'm in no rush for a new RPG.
then again maybe i should pick it up if i own the Persona Q 3DS

Antiwhippy

What am I missing with the first floor dungeon?

I've reached the
schedule
and I'm trying to piece it together but I only have one clue which I can't seem to make much of. Are there more clues?

Top Bottom