• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth |OT| -- No Dating, Just Dungeons

spiritfox

What am I missing with the first floor dungeon?

I've reached the
schedule
and I'm trying to piece it together but I only have one clue which I can't seem to make much of. Are there more clues?

Are you talking about the 3rd labyrinth? There's a constant pattern. Just put the clues in their places and extrapolate from there.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Hmm, alright, I'll give that a shot.

Also do sub-persona's have resistances? Running P3MC and his weakness to darkness in this third dungeon is... concerning.

OceanBlue

Just fought that special doll FOE in the 3rd dungeon that follows you around, I was tired of it getting in my face.

Now I know how mad enemies must feel when I spam Naoto's dark/light skills, doll was wiping out 3 of my guys every time it used Mamudo.(For some reason P4MC never gets hit by it)

I beat the dumb thing though, luckily it wasn't like the regular doll FOEs where my attacks miss a lot.
How do you stop it from healing? Fuck Diarahan. :(

Omikaru

Sad to say but im starting to struggle to keep going with this now. I really dont like the Etrian style dungeons and gameplay :(

I'm the complete opposite, inasmuch as I'm really digging the dungeons and gameplay. So much so that I've added EOIV and Untold to my Christmas wish list.

Then again, I don't have much time to play at the moment so I'll probably be ploughing through this into January, so maybe I'm not burning out on it.

ramyeon

I really like the EO dungeon design. Just finished the second labyrinth and the puzzles were pretty fun. I picked up EOIV just before this came out, glad I did now. Although the Persona setting definitely appeals to me more.

Jintor

I can't figure out this damn queen of hearts. Feels like I inevitably run out of sp and fall to the infinite wall of soldiers eventually. I heard tell of someone poisoning her, is that or curse a viable strategy?

I can't figure out this damn queen of hearts. Feels like I inevitably run out of sp and fall to the infinite wall of soldiers eventually. I heard tell of someone poisoning her, is that or curse a viable strategy?
Poison worked wonders for me. I saved it for when she was under 50% because she gets meaner there so it's nice to have steady damage even if she starts knocking people out. Having two members with ma- spells will probably make it quite a bit easier as well, but poison is much easier to get.

Antiwhippy

Get some ma spells. I remember alp starting with one and oberon getting one after the next level.

Also physical skills for bosses. ALOT more damage than spells, and bosses don't have weakness anyway so physical skills gives you a chance to get boost.

Jintor

Yeah mc, chie and kanji were wailing on her but I couldn't keep up the healing/lowering stats support

Also, can you stun card soldiers?

Antiwhippy

Yeah, you can, but you really just want to kill them off quickly.

Maybe stock up on some medicine if you run out of sp for healing?

On P3MC side fuuka has a party skill that heals at the end of every turn so I wasn't as strapped for SP healing people.

My younger stepbrother got the game. I was happy for him to be able to play his first persona game but...it's too bad it's in english only (we are french). he was disapointed because for him the game is mostly people talking a lot in a language he hardly understand and dungeon crawling, while trying to master the english menu. That's a bit of a problem for niche games : Because they are niche they aren't localized and because they aren't localized...well, they have few chances to become more than niche :-(

Get some ma spells. I remember alp starting with one and oberon getting one after the next level.

The problem is that Oberon needs 3k experience to get that next level. My whole team was level 10 when I hit the boss and I was getting 300 experience a fight, which seems to be split amongst everyone. Grinding Oberon up would take forever. I had another Persona one level from Mabufu as well, can't remember which, but same problem.

If you can knock the Queen down to 10 or even 25% regularly, Poisma is the easy way out. It may take someone's entire SP pool to stick, but it will wreck her once it does. And since not everyone is healing and there's only one easily accessible ma- skill available, someone should have SP for spamming poisma in the middle of the fight.

For me, I had Koromaru on Tarunda duty with Slime and focusing on physical hits otherwise. At 50% he spammed Poisma until it stuck. Not so bad. Would definitely recommend before spending time grinding, unless you can knock out the FOEs.

FluxWaveZ

Ha, the ending of dungeon 2 made me think there might not be any other possibilities until reading some other comments here.
I got Yu Narukami (or "Yu Narkmi"). Talk of similarities between the two characters, the Wild Card and "something else" made me think that was the only possible outcome. Makes sense that I'd get him, though.

Encountered a bug that crashes my game- as soon as I make it to the second floor of the first dungeon I backtrack out to go to the Velvet room. In the middle of talking to Margaret the game crashes- get an error message telling me to power off the 3DS and then turn it on again.

Happened late last night and then again just now. Totally sucks, don't know how I'm supposed to progress. Never hadn't 3DS game crash on me before.

Anteo

So I have been playing this game, currently in the 3rd floor of wonderland, risky difficulty, some thoughts:

- FOEs are so weak, like, first time I accidentaly got into battle with one I almost won.
- Posion is overpowered as hell
- Binds are even worse, the big beetle on floor 3 goes from +100 damage twice a turn to +10 damage.
- Risky is bullshit, Beetle comes, has 2 moves a turn, MC miss the bind, Beetle 2 hits him because "fuck you the RNG is mine".

Edit: Forgot to say, never played persona, I have played SMTIV and a lot of EO

Finally got the game today. Enjoying it so far! Looks way better in person and I'm loving the music. New characters seem pretty meh so far but I just started.

I'm having trouble with the first floor of the first dungeon. I reached the stairs to the second floor but I don't have 100% on the map. I went back to look around and still couldn't get the 100% completion. Do I have to come back later or something? The chest hints at some area which I haven't been able to get to in the bottom left of the map but can't seem to figure out how to get there.

Finally got the game today. Enjoying it so far! Looks way better in person and I'm loving the music. New characters seem pretty meh so far but I just started.

I'm having trouble with the first floor of the first dungeon. I reached the stairs to the second floor but I don't have 100% on the map. I went back to look around and still couldn't get the 100% completion. Do I have to come back later or something? The chest hints at some area which I haven't been able to get to in the bottom left of the map but can't seem to figure out how to get there.

There might be a secret passage? Examine the walls. There aren't too many times that you can't complete a map on the first visit, especially not early in the game.

There might be a secret passage? Examine the walls. There are very few times that you can't complete a map on the first visit, and none before the third dungeon that can't be finished on the first visit to a floor.

Awesome, all I needed to know. Will go back and check it out. Thank you!

Fandangox

Third Dungeon Third Floor question. I have 90% but I don't seem to be able to finish the thing. The area I am missing seems to be directly north of the
bathroom area
, but I don't know how to get there.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Finally started the second dungeon. Got my ass handed to me nearly despite being level 10-14. I guess I need to be 20-ish to start this dungeon?

Even the FOE quest nearly wiped me out
Thankfully no one was killed thanks to Fuuka's restore at the end of turn Leader Skill
with Koromaru dealing only one in physical damage (granted, I haven't upgraded him or Ken's weapon... nor Seta's...) :/

I guess I should probably ask about making money since it seems Elizabeth's healing fees will skyrocket past my income/selling level eventually. What should I do? Camp a Power spot in the dungeon? What is the best way to make money in these first two dungeons?

I still haven't touched Persona fusing because I'm trying to get all the skills on a Persona/leveling before I fuse to put them in the compendium and I'm running out of space thanks to the 14 Persona deck limit. :/ It's kinda annoying.

Third Dungeon Third Floor question. I have 90% but I don't seem to be able to finish the thing. The area I am missing seems to be directly north of the
bathroom area

Keep going with the dungeon, you visit it part way through the next floor

I guess I should probably ask about making money since it seems Elizabeth's healing fees will skyrocket past my income/selling level eventually. What should I do? Camp a Power spot in the dungeon? What is the best way to make money in these first two dungeons?

Power Spots are generally the best way to make money, they respawn on reentry to the dungeon. I wouldn't worry about the healing fee too much. It matches your level x100, so it should stop going up so much, since you level fastest at the start.

TheSeks

Power Spots are generally the best way to make money, they respawn on reentry to the dungeon. I wouldn't worry about the healing fee too much. It matches your level x100, so it should stop going up so much, since you level fastest at the start.

So what... go to the first dungeon and Power Spot grind to 50,000 or so?

I haven't honestly looked too deeply into the workshop since I've been abusing Persona skills. :x I really wish "Victory Cry" was in the game as Persona 3/4 drilled "abuse element skills, ALL OUT ATTACK" into me. D:

TheSeks

You really shouldn't really worry about money where you are now.

I'm only getting 1,000 or so per trip in the dungeons since the items you gain from battle seem awfully low for the healing price. Maybe it's just me?

ramyeon

Grinding money at the start of the second dungeon is definitely overkill. You'll generate enough money to sustain your spending as you make trips to the dungeon, fill up your inventory and then return and sell it all. You shouldn't have to be grinding at all for it. At least not yet, I have no idea about later in the game.
I'm only getting 1,000 or so per trip in the dungeons since the items you gain from battle seem awfully low for the healing price. Maybe it's just me?
You'll get more in the second dungeon, often times 10,000+.

Nachos

Hmm, alright, I'll give that a shot.

Also do sub-persona's have resistances? Running P3MC and his weakness to darkness in this third dungeon is... concerning.
None at all. The only way to get any is by having the skills. However, anything other than resist skills can't be transferred (so no absorbs), and none of those skills are available via skill cards.

How do you stop it from healing? Fuck Diarahan. :(
I still need to fight it, but I heard that they only use the skill every ten turns. If you can't beat it that quickly or bind its magic on that tenth turn, it's probably best to run.

When do I get the chance to craft my own ability cards?
Second floor of the third dungeon.

bathroom area
If you're talking about that area to the northwest with the shortcut on its side, don't worry about it.
You'll return to that spot eventually as part of the story.

Antiwhippy

"Zen could be said to adopt the rustic look."

What?

Spiked collar capes are rustic now?

None at all. The only way to get any is by having the skills. However, anything other than resist skills can't be transferred (so no absorbs), and none of those skills are available via skill cards.

Just got dark wall which should alleviate my worries.

Nachos

Also I dunno about links. Can someone point to me the best way to maximise them?
Kanji. He's the character best-built to use them. He has crazy-high strength, innate access to the cry/howl skills to get the most out of links, and exclusive access to a skill that boosts his damage relative to his current HP.

For skill cards, give him double/triple/tetra/infinity link, first star/golden link, shura tensei, and shura revert. Shura Tensei is basically an indefinite Power Charge that can't be cancelled by the enemy, but it comes at the cost of most of its user's health for every single attack. You'll want to babysit him with a dedicated healer to offset that while getting the most out of his exclusive skill. Then, you can use shura revert in emergencies to cancel the state.

From there, just transfer the four link skills onto a persona that absorbs wind, and he'll be perfect. I only had Triple Link, First Star and Shura Tensei for the fourth dungeon boss, and I still beat it in six turns on risky, with Kanji doing at least 90% of the damage.

I need to experiment with it once I get the skill cards, but I think that if you put Kanji in the back row, the additional links don't get attack penalties. So you can have him in the back to protect him since he'll always be near death, and have a front row of death counter/chaser users spamming regular attacks with forked spear to maximize your links every turn.

Antiwhippy

That's a lot of really good info, but what I'm most unsure about is if link chaining only works with link attacks?

Like I have 1st character do a link, 2nd character do a link, then 3rd character do a link? You mention death chasers at the front row but how do they activate additional links?

TheSeks

Oh geez. Automapping trap floors a different color from the normal grey is cumbersome. Especially since I auto-fill the doors that I pass through/shortcuts I pass through for grey as well.

Going to drive me insane having to stand on these for the 100% complete as well.

Man, the second dungeon. It makes sense, but
kind of bummed that saying sex doesn't matter guarantees a male partner
. It doesn't matter, but it should keep everyone as an option.

Caineghis

Neo Member
I Just started this game today, any tips without spoiling things?

So far i like the VA here, and the chibi style is really cute.

Links_fantasy

Just finished the first labrynth and loving it so far! I'm a huge fan of both the Persona and Etrian Odyssey series and it seems to have a good balance of the two. Atlus just keeps releasing tons of high quality 3DS games, I have an Atlus backlog lol. Also can't wait for next years Persona 5 megaton and the Vita Persona Dancing game. As well as all the Etrian odyssey games that will come out its going to be another busy Atlus year.

On the forth floor of the second dungeon. I am having so much fun with this game. I am so glad this was created. The puzzles and labyrinth exploration is great.
The conversations between the cast of Persona 3 and Persona 4 are hilarious.

The talk about who the MC destined partner will be. The group date in the group date cafe dungeon, with reading Marie's poem being the penalty.

I really hope Atlus makes another Persona game like this.

TheSeks

Posion + Death Counter

One will work for like 5+ turns the other will work for 3 turns so you have to reapply it while having a healer to counter the effect.

Will easily make the boss eat damage each round far more than your damage output at this point will do.

Top Bottom