• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth |OT| -- No Dating, Just Dungeons

Xenoflare

I restarted, on Risky.

But I elected to use the P3 crew, this time.

Yeah... the game is a metric ton easier with the P3 kids - easier on Risky than the P4 kids on Hard.

I bet Fuuka and Yukari contribute to this, Healing Breeze and innate Media.

Finally beat the shit out of the Queen. All this new content! Side quests! A new dungeo-

*killed by three rocks and two angels*

goddamnit persona q. can't believe some of you guys are playing risky lol
Happened to me too, although it was entirely my fault for forgetting to equip the two new people I put in my party properly. I was also relying too much on Wind skills due to so many mobs in the third floor of Dungeon 1 being weak to it. Making the first encounter in the second dungeon "inescapable" was kind of a dick move, though.

I admit I also forgot to save after beating the Queen so I have to do all the in-between Dungeon 2 stuff again which I haven't had the mental strength to do yet. :p

What do I do with the skill cards? I don't see an option in the velvet room.

You just use them from the item menu. Skill cards are for your characters themselves, not Personas. Each character has 4 extra skill slots just for skill cards. Remember that when you use one, it is used up however, so make sure you use it on the character you want to have the skill most. Note that you can re-obtain most skill cards later on and you can always overwrite a skill card skill if you don't have space and want to add something better.

ijed

What do I do with the skill cards? I don't see an option in the velvet room.

If you select one from your inventory it will ask you who to assign it to

EDIT: Beatn :(

So do circles have a lower chance to inflict status then their non-circle counterpart?

I don't see why you would want to use (for e.g) Tentarafoo instead of Panic Circle....

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I hope Persona 5 uses the Persona + Sub Persona set-up for the MC at the very least, that way his initial Person isn't total garbage, I like this system a bit better than how it is in mainline Persona.

Only at Floor 2 of Wonderland, about how long till I get the other Persona characters (I did 4)?

spiritfox

I hope Persona 5 uses the Persona + Sub Persona set-up for the MC at the very least, that way his initial Person isn't total garbage, I like this system a bit better than how it is in mainline Persona.

Only at Floor 2 of Wonderland, about how long till I get the other Persona characters (I did 4)?

At the end of the 1st labyrinth.

Jintor

Seriously though, it's not that hard to cheese this game, even on risky. It's also not that hard to make sure nothing touches your mc.

I've had a few wipes bit nothing that's too bad.

Yeah, but you need to know how. Just blindly flailing around is getting me killed.

Just like every other jrpg I guess

bobohoro

Yeah, but you need to know how. Just blindly flailing around is getting me killed.

Just like every other jrpg I guess

I wouldn't go that far. There are more than enough JRPGs out there where you really need no strategy or understanding of skills or stats to just bruteforce your way through without much trouble. Persona Q, while not really hard if you know what you are doing, is deep and balanced enough to challenge and kill you if you aren't careful, at least on hard. Dungeon 3 for example had me wipe two or three times due to me getting overconfident and not taking the elemental corrosion skills seriously enough. After adjusting to it and playing a bit more defensively I get by fine. So I'd say Persona Q definitely is a step above most JRPGs in terms of difficulty. Which is great because EO games usually have balancing done right, even on higher difficulty settings, which makes it fun to play and not frustrating.

I know where they are and I even mark them on the map but they still scare the bejeezus out of me >_<

Playing that section in a dark room at night made me turn on the lights. The dolls are just creepy and I squirmed every time they came down, even though I had already marked every spot they appear in. Pro-tip: Don't look in their direction and just side/back-step through those sections, made it manageable for me without skipping a few heartbeats every step.

bigkrev

Well, 6 hours in, and I think I'm at the first boss? (Just cleared Wonderland floor 3)

Automap has been a huge boon for me. I just need the stylus when I want to mark a door, passage, or chest/power spot.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Should I bother with Zen and Rei, or does the lack of Persona mean they'll fall behind?

I'm actually rotating my party to try to keep things even, although I don't know if I'll want to do that once the Persona 3 cast joins and I have twice as many to balance.

bigkrev

....And the MC killed the same turn I kill the first boss, meaning he is now 2ish levels behind the rest of my party (level 10 vs level 12).

Ugh.

batfax

Should I bother with Zen and Rei, or does the lack of Persona mean they'll fall behind?

I'm actually rotating my party to try to keep things even, although I don't know if I'll want to do that once the Persona 3 cast joins and I have twice as many to balance.

They may lack a persona, but they get a ton of skills to make up for it.

muteki

Go back to first dungeon after first boss and new party, kick ass in general, handily beat an FOE for giggles.

Afterwards find out there is a request for just this and I get to do it all over again :p

Aigis is such a tank, poison does WAY more damage than I would have thought, and I might have finally got this link thing figured out.

Laconic

Banned
All I know is that I'm on normal and on 3-3 and ive been presented no *real* trouble yet...

The Queen is a bitch, without group elemental spells, and a lucky Poisma proc, for the P4 kids, under level 10~11.

I bet Fuuka and Yukari contribute to this, Healing Breeze and innate Media.

Yes, this is pretty much it.

Fuuka makes the front row able to spam those physical hits down.

Yes - leave them out, lol.

Go back to first dungeon after first boss and new party, kick ass in general, handily beat an FOE for giggles.

Afterwards find out there is a request for just this and I get to do it all over again :p

Aigis is such a tank, poison does WAY more damage than I would have thought, and I might have finally got this link thing figured out.

Please, elaborate.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I've literally not turned the game on for over a week because I can't think of the party I want to create. Is there any incentive for redoing a dungeon outside of grinding? (Think P4G and it's extra bosses.) If so, I can justify making two parties...

batfax

I've literally not turned the game on for over a week because I can't think of the party I want to create. Is there any incentive for redoing a dungeon outside of grinding? (Think P4G and it's extra bosses.) If so, I can justify making two parties...

Later you can get items that give EXP to people not in your party. Also, the second dungeon can be gone through several times to get a unique ending for every party member (and even some non-party members).

muteki

Please, elaborate.

Link spells. Character A casts Frost Link for damage, character B goes next and casts Bufu for damage, and then I get an extra hit of damage that is equal to or more than the above. I haven't been in a situation to see if I could keep this chain going yet.

All this is probably in the manual but the onset of digital-only manuals has made me a horribly lazy person.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Later you can get items that give EXP to people not in your party. Also, the second dungeon can be gone through several times to get a unique ending for every party member (and even some non-party members).
Ehhh... My ideal scenario is that I have one party led by P3MC and one by P4MC. Exp gain seems to be fairly low after clearing the first dungeon, so I'd like to have a real incentive to replay dungeons. The unique endings for the second dungeon seem cool, but something like that isn't offered every dungeon, then I'm still stuck haha.

Link spells. Character A casts Frost Link for damage, character B goes next and casts Bufu for damage, and then I get an extra hit of damage that is equal to or more than the above. I haven't been in a situation to see if I could keep this chain going yet.
From what I can tell, the link effect is only applied once. Unless there's a stronger version of link spells. I tried multiple times with Frost Link and both physical and magical attacks after it.

Ehhh... My ideal scenario is that I have one party led by P3MC and one by P4MC. Exp gain seems to be fairly low after clearing the first dungeon, so I'd like to have a real incentive to replay dungeons. The unique endings for the second dungeon seem cool, but something like that isn't offered every dungeon, then I'm still stuck haha.

You can't take the starting MC out of your party.

There are bonus dungeon bosses, but you can always jump to the final floor, so you don't need to redo the dungeon to get to them.

All this is probably in the manual but the onset of digital-only manuals has made me a horribly lazy person.

Character B must attack the same enemy as charecter A, but they can attack with any type of damaging skill. The chain can continue for however long you have link skills for. You can get one endgame that will let links go on until the end of a turn, there's various other skills that boost link damage too.

Sera O

Banned

There are passive skills that increase the number of times linked damage triggers and increase the damage per time it triggers (double link, triple link). Any attack (phys attack, skill, or magic attack) that lands on the same enemy will trigger link damage up to the number specified.

Having link skills + double/triple link + bloody vanguard and golden link on a strong attacker really adds up.

muteki

Character B must attack the same enemy as charecter A, but they can attack with any type of damaging skill. The chain can continue for however long you have link skills for. You can get one endgame that will let links go on until the end of a turn, there's various other skills that boost link damage too.
This bit is a bit confusing. Is it any damaging skill, or do I need to intersperse link skills too?

For example:

Frost Link -> Bufu -> Agi -> Zio -> Garu (would I get 4 extra hits of damage? or would that require additional passive skills?)

or are link spells continuously required?

Frost Link -> Bufu -> Bolt Link -> Zio -> Gale Link -> Agi -> etc.

This bit is a bit confusing. Is it any damaging skill, or do I need to intersperse link skills too?

For example:

Frost Link -> Bufu -> Agi -> Zio -> Garu (would I get 4 extra hits of damage? or would that require additional passive skills?)

or are link spells continuously required?

Frost Link -> Bufu -> Bolt Link -> Zio -> Gale Link -> Agi -> etc.

You can get passive skills that make it continuous, and it lasts for as long as the passive skills allow, so if you have double link on the charecter using the link skill it would go:

Frost Link -> Agi -> (link activates) -> Zio -> (link activates) -> garu -> zio

Otherwise the link will only activate once.

muteki

You can get passive skills that make it continuous, and it lasts for as long as the passive skills allow, so if you have double link on the charecter using the link skill it would go:

Frost Link -> Agi -> (link activates) -> Zio -> (link activates) -> garu -> zio

Otherwise the link will only activate once.

That clears things up. Thanks everyone.

So I've beaten the game and I feel like I'm missing something:
Did those orbs from the optional bosses do nothing? I felt like that was building up to something, and the artbook features a boss called "God of Power" who I haven't fought. There's a boss theme on the OST that hasn't played either. I've done every available sidequest apart from the Reaper one and got 100% on every map. Do I have to do the P4 side to unlock this stuff?

Fantastic game overall. I really enjoyed it the entire well through. Some great dungeon design, and not abusing instakills, the combat felt pretty well balanced. There wasn't much focus on it but I thought the plot was pretty good too. Far better than Ultimax.
Final bosses were fun, although I felt like act 1 was much harder, once you learn to deal with the death countdown the second phase was pretty manageable, I pity anyone playing on critical for that fight though.
I'll probably play through the P4 side at some point soon.

Ourobolus

Banned
Ok, I know I have one square I have to hit coming up from the next floor. However, there is one other square I can't seem to hit because of how the FOEs move.

In the bottom left there are a pair of one-way shortcuts blocked by FOEs. I can't get the square in front of the right one. When I grab the nearby flame the FOE moves into that corner and won't move more than one square away and he just goes back and forth there.

Help?

Soulflarz

Banned
In PQ is (stroll request during dungeon 3 spoiler, just a line)
"Now the REAL hot pot begins!"
a reference? I got dark souls-ish vibes lol

Ok, I know I have one square I have to hit coming up from the next floor. However, there is one other square I can't seem to hit because of how the FOEs move.

In the bottom left there are a pair of one-way shortcuts blocked by FOEs. I can't get the square in front of the right one. When I grab the nearby flame the FOE moves into that corner and won't move more than one square away and he just goes back and forth there.

Help?

I know it's possible to get, I managed it after a lot of trial and error. I can't remember exactly what I did, but I think I lured one of the FOEs into the lower part of the room and trapped the other one infront of the other shortcut.

I doubt that's very helpful, as I said, it was mostly just trial and error. I'm sure there is a proper way to do it though.

Third labyrinth fourth floor help

Images

So huh I arrived at the part where there's this FOE that keeps following you through the rooms. I was thinking of just defeating but I feel like that would mean skipping a puzzle or something. Whatever, I arrive in this hallway (where the FOE was in the first place), and as I move, bam, a baby FOE comes out of nowhere, and now I'm between the two FOEs and I didn't even knew that both of them could attack you at the same time. Did I miss something here (if it's that I can just use a navi skill to return to the entrance and redo the sequence correctly) or am I supposed to defeat them both?

Man I hate third labyrinth's FOEs :(

Images

So huh I arrived at the part where there's this FOE that keeps following you through the rooms. I was thinking of just defeating but I feel like that would mean skipping a puzzle or something. Whatever, I arrive in this hallway (where the FOE was in the first place), and as I move, bam, a baby FOE comes out of nowhere, and now I'm between the two FOEs and I didn't even knew that both of them could attack you at the same time. Did I miss something here (if it's that I can just use a navi skill to return to the entrance and redo the sequence correctly) or am I supposed to defeat them both?

There's an area where you can trap the FOE that's chasing you between two lights. I think it was to the south west of where the baby FOE spawns. The one that follows you is one of the harder FOEs to beat without proper preparation.

Images

You are never required to
kill an FOE
in the third dungeon.

That said, I killed the fuck out of the Old Doll instead of putting up with it.

Gazoinks

First set of nav voices are out today! I think I'll probably grab Liz for now.

e: "Leader, are you panicked? This is amus- I mean... troubling." Totally worth it.

There's an area where you can trap the FOE that's chasing you between two lights. I think it was to the south west of where the baby FOE spawns. The one that follows you is one of the harder FOEs to beat without proper preparation.
You are never required to
kill an FOE
in the third dungeon.

That said, I killed the fuck out of the Old Doll instead of putting up with it.
OOOOH, that explains the other switches available aside from the first one! How could I miss that?
. Thanks a lot guys!

joe2187

Banned
Man what the fuck is going on with the Persona Q I ordered from Amazon.

It went from Arizona, California (where I live) then it went to my neighborhood post office and then rocketed off to fucking Quebec for some ungodly reason, then it went to New York and finally tonight it settled down in Las Vegas Nevada where upon looking at Google maps at the delivery address is just a vacant lot.

Soulflarz

Banned

It went from Arizona, California (where I live) then it went to my neighborhood post office and then rocketed off to fucking Quebec for some ungodly reason, then it went to New York and finally tonight it settled down in Las Vegas Nevada where upon looking at Google maps at the delivery address is just a vacant lot.

W-what the

Gazoinks

That's uh... not normal? You should probably contact Amazon.

Laconic

Banned
It missed a few times so I assumed it couldn't hit...

I had that happen a few times, on the P4 side, once.

The next time it stuck for 2/3 of the fight, and I managed to re-apply it at the end to kill her off.

My P3 current playthrough on Risky, Aegis procced it on the first turn, and it proceeded to decimate her up until the second to last turn, on which she landed it again, and it merked the boss on the next turn.

I'm pretty bad with Fusion Chart stuff, can someone please let me know if there are any combinations to create Turdak that involve Orpheus Telos? I want to move my Link skills over so that I can actually get Orpheus's own skills on him

Top Bottom