• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth |OT| -- No Dating, Just Dungeons

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Well, right now the second dungeons enemies are kicking my level 14 ass. Which is why I want to go back to the first dungeon and do FOEs to level up to 20-25 so I can actually explore the second dungeon without running into "oh geez, I'm critical" issues.
We're pretty much in the same boat. My party's about 12 or 13, so I figured I should go back to the first dungeon & grind, but ugh, I did the request where you gotta defeat a FOE & the EXP was NOT worth the 20+ turns it took to defeat them.

I feel like I need to rethink how I handle RPGs with this game.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Also FYI, if you're having trouble with the second dungeon, be sure to try out mudo and hama for every enemy.

Most of them are susceptible to one or the other.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh right, forgot about mudo & hama considering that's why I have Naoto in the party.

So guessing I should go back to the final floor of dungeon 1 & fight a FOE or two to get some material or gear or whatever?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I haven't even bothered to buy new equipment past like 1 or two defaults. :x Mostly because I thought Theodore would give you "free" ones a la the tutorial or whatever explaining his functions, but nope. I see a bunch of NOW AVAILABLE but you apparently have to buy them and I'm never sure if they're worth the cash outside of BIG HUGE NUMBERS GOING UP AND SOME GOING DOWN SO YOUR OCD ABOUT BIGGER NUMBERS KICKS IN AND GOES "NOPE."

Also FYI, if you're having trouble with the second dungeon, be sure to try out mudo and hama for every enemy.

Most of them are susceptible to one or the other.

I'm doing that with Koromaru and Ken (while Akihiko does Death Counter and Seta/Minato use their elements) but I run out of SP, again, to where I truck back and eat a -700yen loss from 1700 or so since I only make 1000 from Material drops. Annoying.

I have a question!

I get Persona, Shin Megami Tensei and Etrian Odyssey confused.

Etrian Odyssey has a few games out on 3DS and is a dungeon crawler, I think?

Shin Megami Tensei has some games out on 3DS and is... I don't know, an RPG?

Persona has historically never been on Nintendo, until now, right? And Persona is the one where you shoot yourself in the head and fight with demons or something? Except that Persona Q is more like Etrian Odyssey with Persona characters? Or something?

I have a 3DS and I'm intrigued. What's a good starting point? I didn't like the Etrian Odyssey demo on the 3DS, I didn't play the Shin Megami Tensei demo, but I'm planning to. Thanks!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yes, EO is the dungeon crawler series. There's 2 demos on the eShop, one for...4, I think, & the other for Untold, which is a remake of the first game. Which one did you play?

SMT is more of an umbrella series with a ton of spin-offs. Persona technically falls under the SMT brand. Though yes, most of the time, they're RPGs, but they might differ slightly in terms of mechanics.

Persona has mainly been on Sony consoles (save for P4 Arena & Ultimax being on 360), & the one you're thinking of, where people use a special gun to shoot themselves in the head to summon said personas, is Persona 3.

& yes, Q is basically Persona 3 & 4 characters, but with the gameplay of EO. It sounds like if you didn't like the demo for the EO game, you probably won't like this one, as exploring dungeons is a much bigger focus compared to P3 & P4.

Busaiku

So on the 3rd floor of Group Date Cafe, there's this 1 room I've encountered so far where it's in a room with 2 FOEs.
In order to pass that room, I basically have to get the 2 FOEs to intersect, but it always happens in the same tile.

Would that tile not count towards the 100%, or is there another way to get to it?

Shizuka

I have a question!

Persona has historically never been on Nintendo, until now, right? And Persona is the one where you shoot yourself in the head and fight with demons or something? Except that Persona Q is more like Etrian Odyssey with Persona characters? Or something?

I have a 3DS and I'm intrigued. What's a good starting point? I didn't like the Etrian Odyssey demo on the 3DS, I didn't play the Shin Megami Tensei demo, but I'm planning to. Thanks!

If you've never played P3 or P4, I wouldn't recommend Persona Q. If you didn't like Etrian Odyssey IV demo, I wouldn't suggest EOIV or EO:U either. I'd go with Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, but that's a completely different style as Persona and Etrian Odyssey.

Meia

If a FOE is on top of a tile, it counts. Yes, this includes the stationary ones...

Honestly, I usually clear out 99% of the map(leaving only those few squares uncovered), then I'll pay the 5-10 play coins it takes to pop open the chest at that point. I think in the 3rd floor second dungeon I only had to pay 1 coin, lol.

I have a question!

Yep, EO is a first person dungeon crawler with sparse story/characters, for the most part. It's purely about the gameplay itself and uncovering a map.

SMT and Persona are similar(well, Persona is/was/whatever an off-shoot anyway). SMT usually has more of a focus on difficult gameplay, while Persona has more of a focus on the characters/story.

This game, Persona Q, is basically an EO game with actual characters in it. It just so happens that the characters in it are from Persona 3/4(which yes, were never released on a Nintendo system). The game does an "ok" job of introducing the characters, but you're basically meeting the characters after they've been through half/more than half of their respective stories, so yeah.

The best starting point is probably to try the Etrian Odyssey 4 demo(most modern of the games released) and see if it's something you can get behind. If you have the means, I'd also recommend playing through Persona 3/Persona 4 first. /shrug

ramyeon

If you've never played P3 or P4, I wouldn't recommend Persona Q. If you didn't like Etrian Odyssey IV demo, I wouldn't suggest EOIV or EO:U either. I'd go with Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, but that's a completely different style as Persona and Etrian Odyssey.
That or SMTIV if it has to be on 3DS.

Otherwise Persona 3.

Busaiku

They're not stationary and they're not always on that tile, which is the problem.
I can get there if I beat the FOE, but they're way too strong at this point.

Meia

They're not stationary and they're not always on that tile, which is the problem.

The thing throwing me off is unless you can beat the FOEs that are rotating turrets and stepping on the squares underneath them, you're not getting 100% anyway. If the FOEs are the ones I'm thinking of, they're highly susceptible to status ailments. Poison really can destroy things rather easily...

Thanks everyone, I just have trouble keeping them all separate in my head and then they go introduce crossover games like Persona Q and it gets even worse... I'm gonna try the SMT IV demo on 3DS, appreciate the help!

ramyeon

Thanks everyone, I just have trouble keeping them all separate in my head and then they go introduce crossover games like Persona Q and it gets even worse... I'm gonna try the SMT IV demo on 3DS, appreciate the help!
I don't think SMTIV has a demo, maybe look up some gameplay videos.

SMT has been pretty dungeon crawling oriented in the past but SMTIV doesn't really have much of that.

If it's the tile that I'm thinking of, that one doesn't actually count for 100%, so you can ignore it.

Zareka

Music is good. Not fond of how the theme looks though, especially the colours. Would have preferred if they did something like the menus in the game tbh.
Hey Atlus, you know you can put more than 1 theme on the shop, right? Riiiiiight? *nudge nudge wink wink*

Theme looks/sounds good. Would be cool to have more, though!

bobohoro

The thing throwing me off is unless you can beat the FOEs that are rotating turrets and stepping on the squares underneath them, you're not getting 100% anyway. If the FOEs are the ones I'm thinking of, they're highly susceptible to status ailments. Poison really can destroy things rather easily...

The ones in dungeon 2 don't count for the total percentage, since they are totally static and will never move.
Dungeon 3 on the other hand features unmoving enemies that can disappear, so those tiles do count.

ZeroX03

Banned
Had a really bad run in the second labyrinth last night. Every second battle the enemy got the jump on me and wiped Naoto before she got a chance to do anything. I'm thankful for that Battle Camisole? you get early on otherwise it would've been a nightmare.

Sera O

Banned
Had a really bad run in the second labyrinth last night. Every second battle the enemy got the jump on me and wiped Naoto before she got a chance to do anything.

I recommend getting a persona with snake glare (snake eyes? Whatever it is that can cancel enemy advantage) on your navigator asap - it will save you some pain.

Labrys

Holy shit. Third dungeon quest, jantior's closet. I didn't even stand a chance! Is there any way to null corrosion or something or am I just fucked? I thought just one of those guys was bad enough.

Zareka

Holy shit. Third dungeon quest, jantior's closet. I didn't even stand a chance! Is there any way to null corrosion or something or am I just fucked? I thought just one of those guys was bad enough.
If it's the one I'm thinking of, P4MC's Dekunda + nuking them with fire worked quite well.

GeekyDad

Level 79, though. :/ That's like... 50+ over my current levels. Geez. On the bright side, if I have the cash, I can equip that unlike the fusing limit that won't let you fuse above your level, IIRC.

No, I don't think you can summon him if you're below the persona's level, since he's stored in your Street Pass Books, not your compendium.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Well DAMN. I beat a FOE on the final floor of Dungeon 1, & turns out I got armor for Yu & Rei/Zen that TRIPLED my defense from 30-ish to 90-ish, plus decreased chances of Panic. Just sucks I don't have the money to buy everyone else better stuff.

Jintor

Picking up extra personas so slowly... Getting fusing fodder is surprisingly annoying.

Any advice for party members re unique dialogue?

Labrys

If it's the one I'm thinking of, P4MC's Dekunda + nuking them with fire worked quite well.

I'll look into that, my team is currently P3MC/Shinji/Aigis/Koromaru and it was Yukari but I have to have Yukiko in the team for the request.

Picking up extra personas so slowly... Getting fusing fodder is surprisingly annoying.

Koromaru and Aigis have unique dialogue with each other.

Wow. Angel of Love FOE on Stop 2 of Group Dating Cafe. What a fucking load of bullshit.

Yes, I walked into the arrow. Yeah, my bad. I fucked up. But then my party autowalks into a fight with the FOE and I am not allowed to run from the battle? Are you fucking kidding me? Why even bother putting me in a fight? Just instant wipe my fucking party and at least save me a minute.

Edit: Another win for internet rage posts. Managed to kill the FOE with status abuse. Fuck you, risky.

PK Gaming

You'll have to use your own judgement (Chie/Yukiko, Yosuke/Teddie, etc). I think that both the P3/P4MC have dialogue exchanges with every member of their respective team.

There are a lot of combinations in this game.

Lv55 quest done! Woo!

I can't wait to do this one myself. So close, yet so far away...

NG+'ing at level 99 makes it so easy to blaze through the game. Especially since the game lets you carry over everything. It only took an hour to get through the intro of the P3 story and the first labyrinth in its entirety. I'm just a bit worried that at this pace I might accidentally miss some of the sidequest triggers that I forgot to map haha

It's a bit surprising how the dialogue at the beginning of NG+
refers to Messiah being the protagonist's only persona instead of Orpheus.
Didn't think they'd record dialogue for just that.

Busaiku

NG+'ing at level 99 makes it so easy to blaze through the game. Especially since the game lets you carry over everything. It only took an hour to get through the intro of the P3 story and the first labyrinth in its entirety. I'm just a bit worried that at this pace I might accidentally miss some of the sidequest triggers that I forgot to map haha

It's a bit surprising how the dialogue at the beginning of NG+
refers to Messiah being the protagonist's only persona instead of Orpheus.
Didn't think they'd record dialogue for just that.

So there's Persona 3 dialogue, Persona 4 dialogue, and New Game+ dialogue (for both presumably)?
Good lord, this is a completionist nightmare.

Astarte

Well DAMN. I beat a FOE on the final floor of Dungeon 1, & turns out I got armor for Yu & Rei/Zen that TRIPLED my defense from 30-ish to 90-ish, plus decreased chances of Panic. Just sucks I don't have the money to buy everyone else better stuff.

Don't worry, around the third dungeon you get so much money you won't know what to do with it. Seriously, you will be rich

Also, my reaction to the fourth floor of the fourth dungeon

uUEu68o.jpg

I can't

Hugstable

Banned
The bows' Chiyo is too good.

But Seo is better.

I've been slacking too much on PQ this last week, I've only progressed like one floor due to finishing finals and playing through Suikoden 1 for nostalgia purposes >_>. Soon I will finish Floor 3 of the 3rd dungeon! My party has been pretty awesome though, and I liked that they kicked up the difficulty a bit in the third dungeon and gave enemies less weaknesses,
I swear almost everything in those first 2 dungeons is weak to Hamamudo

ijed

No themes in PAL land but nav dlc ... After some of the latest quests with Liz I'm tempted to get her

Anybody have a decent Link build? I want to use Kanji, and I'm thinking about giving him all of the Link element skill cards. Trying to figure out a decent fusion build to get Golden Link + Triple/Quadruple Link.
(I'm only level 52 so I think I can only get Triple Link, on Tam Lin). Probably want to get Bloody Vanguard on him too.

Here's a Cu Chulainn Lvl 45 - Made cards for flame and frost for Kanji - Have a Rangda Lvl 50 with Bloody Vanguard if that helps too who I'm using with Aigis
zlCfzSvgHlsWZyUUTX

zlCfzSvgL8kxzgKbmI

Well, this is great fun. I just cleared the first floor and Rise said I had to go back because Margaret was in a mood, constantly dealing the death card and muttering about me making her wait, haha.

Combat seems deeply strategic (at least on hard) and I'm loving the amount of dialogue all the characters have. Definitely will want to play through a second time with the P3 crew on risky.

bobohoro

Dungeon 3 Floor 4

Well the Old One was one of the more fun FOEs. Had it down to a sliver of health and boom, Diarahan out of nowhere. Backed out, had a beefed up Samael in my party with Binding Hands and Silence Circle and went on to trash it. Nice fight. Now to do it again for the request.

That Kanji/Ken scene after Dungeon 3 was great, a bit chliché but nice anyway. Some characters really have their moments in this game.

ZeroX03

Banned
Well, this is great fun. I just cleared the first floor and Rise said I had to go back because Margaret was in a mood, constantly dealing the death card and muttering about me making her wait, haha.

Combat seems deeply strategic (at least on hard) and I'm loving the amount of dialogue all the characters have. Definitely will want to play through a second time with the P3 crew on risky.

I'm not sure I'm far enough to judge, but so far this is one of the best combat systems I've ever played. It's not quite as extreme as Press Turn where you feel like a God but can also get wiped easily. I hate being wiped immediately by an ambush. Instead the pendulum is swung a little less each way.

Also the sub-persona system fixes probably my biggest pet peeve with RPGs like this: recovering SP. That you recover that little set amount means you aren't constantly managing your meters outside of battle but can't indulge in spamming everything each battle like in systems where you fully recover. It's the perfect balance.

Wish the battles were a little more visually exciting though.

I'm not sure I'm far enough to judge, but so far this is one of the best combat systems I've ever played. It's not quite as extreme as Press Turn where you feel like a God but can also get wiped easily. I hate being wiped immediately by an ambush. Instead the pendulum is swung a little less each way.

Also the sub-persona system fixes probably my biggest pet peeve with RPGs like this: recovering SP. That you recover that little set amount means you aren't constantly managing your meters outside of battle but can't indulge in spamming everything each battle like in systems where you fully recover. It's the perfect balance.

Wish the battles were a little more visually exciting though.

Yeah, I'm digging it. I already found myself doing tricky tactical things like deliberately leaving an injured enemy alive so a different character could hit them and get a boost so they could do 0 SP spells on a stronger enemy.

I'm only level 5, but I'm thinking I might walk up to an FOE and see what happens. If it goes badly I can just say I was gathering intel on them.

Ugh, I haven't played this game since unlocking the P3 cast. Too much choice!

Someone decide for me!

I'd just like to keep Kanji and Naoto, if I can.

Top Bottom