• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth |OT| -- No Dating, Just Dungeons

Shizuka

Is there any way to prevent or counter corrosion? The first time I find a group of enemies using it and it was almost game over for me right then and there.

Is there any way to prevent or counter corrosion? The first time I find a group of enemies using it and it was almost game over for me right then and there.

Dekunda will cancel it out. If you absorb the element that it relates to then it also won't have any effect, although that's probably not especially helpful for the third dungeon.

Im buying a 2DS next week, should I get this game if the only persona I've played is P3 Portable on psp for like 8-9 hours?

Just so you know, I was really enjoying P3P but had other things to do/play at that time. I might go back to it at some point, but right now I feel like trying this new Persona out.

ramyeon

Im buying a 2DS next week, should I get this game if the only persona I've played is P3 Portable on psp for like 8-9 hours?

Just so you know, I was really enjoying P3P but had other things to do/play at that time. I might go back to it at some point, but right now I feel like trying this new Persona out.
I honestly think you'll get more enjoyment out of Q if you play both 3 and 4 first.

I honestly think you'll get more enjoyment out of Q if you play both 3 and 4 first.

Maybe I should give 3 another chance before trying this one then. But I don't see myself playing 4 anytime soon, right now I don't own a PS2 or vita. Would I be missing some story aspects?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Also if you do plan to go back to persona 3 or 4 after Q you might as well play 3 or 4 first
because it would lessen the disappointment that is the dungeon gameplay of 3 and 4.

Maybe I should give 3 another chance before trying this one then. But I don't see myself playing 4 anytime soon, right now I don't own a PS2 or vita. Would I be missing some story aspects?

As long as you pick the P3 side in Q, I don't think you'd be missing much, since it mostly focuses on the P3 characters who are also seeing the P4 ones for the first time. There's a few jokes that you'd miss, but you'd mostly be fine.

The design of all the dungeons (I'm just starting 4-4) and the puzzles built around avoiding FOEs has been a very pleasant surprise for me, since the only EO game I finished was EOU, which was very basic in this area, being a remake of the first game. Are the dungeons this good in EO4?

Antiwhippy

The design of all the dungeons (I'm just starting 4-4) and the puzzles built around avoiding FOEs has been a very pleasant surprise for me, since the only EO game I finished was EOU, which was very basic in this area, being a remake of the first game. Are the dungeons this good in EO4?

Yep, they are.

Anyone know how to fuse a Basilisk, I want that poison circle

You can get poison circle without basilisk, but you get the item for fusing basilisk
after the first time you defeat elizabeth,

arue

Do you have a PS3? Persona 4 is available as a PS2 classic on the PSN store.

If you do, I'd suggest playing both P3 and P4 first.

If you don't, then choose the P3 side first and hold off on the P4 side like CrimsonFist suggested.

Credo

Is anyone else on a long break from the game? I played a lot the first week, getting up to maybe half way through the first floor of the 3rd labirynth, then I decided to take a break to avoid burn out. I haven't really felt the need to go back yet. Anyone else have the same thing happen?

I'll finish the game, I just don't know when.

The third floor of the fourth dungeon broke me. I'm taking a break from it for a few days until I don't immediately get angry at the thought of the game. I imagine the fourth floor is even worse, but I just hope the rest of the game after that isn't nearly as infuriating to me.

My party's Kanji, Akihiko on the front row
P3MC, Naoto, and the Etrian Odyssey Twins on the back row

Links, poison, and muda/hamon all day err day.

I'm almost done with the final floor! Suck my ass, FIRE

My party is those two, P3MC, Shinji, and Akihiko. You obviously need P4MC in your party, but I'd say Akihiko or Shinji up front and P3MC in back would make an awesome team for you:

P4MC, Kanji, Ak/Shi
P3MC, Naoto

In my opinion, those are the only two worth keeping.

Maybe Chie.

Too bad you're stuck with Yu.

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far! In regard to making my final decision, then, I think I'm trying to decide if I want to ditch Chie or Yukiko for the P3MC. Everyone says Yukiko isn't great, but it somehow seems wrong to remove her. Would having Yu and Kanji in the front, with Naoto, Yukiko, and P3MC in the back be a decent setup?

Edit: Putting Akihiko in front is also tempting (I'm tempted to just copy robotzombie's setup).

Uthred

Is this as short on story content as the mainline EO games? Always enjoyed the mechanics in EO but the lack of story often left it feeling a bit barebones

Antiwhippy

It is super heavy in the story stuff compared to the EO games.

Though you have to really like Persona 3 & 4 fanservice to enjoy it. Or not. I dunno.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It is super heavy in the story stuff compared to the EO games.

I dunno about that. Party Banter != story, IMO. The dungeon dialog is pretty sparse depending on your party set-up and the story is bare-bones (IMO) until you start/finish the dungeon.

The fan service is alright (though some characters have a weird characterization like Akihiko going all PROTEIN PROTEIN PROTEIN despite
P4U/U2 not happening yet
), but could be better.

It's a dungeon crawler first and foremost, so if you don't like dungeon spelunking, you probably should prepare yourself for that.

Speaking of which...

Finished Elizabeth's request in the second dungeon along with Theodores. Having to drag a party member I haven't used along was a bit interesting because it wasn't really a battle besides
dodging the damn arrows
to get the item and then using Agility Bind to get the other item.

Promotion 1 GET. But there are others for discounts? Are they worth it? Do they carry over in NG+? Preferably one for the Velvet Room/Nurse Office? D:?

Ourobolus

Banned
Nurse's Office doesn't have discounts, but you'll be swimming in cash later on.
The Velvet Room has discounts based on the % of the compendium you've completed. 25, 50, 75, 100%

There are bigger discounts for Theo later as quest rewards.

What's so great about P3MC, exactly? I'm trying to figure out of he has a place in my Yu, Kanji, Chie, Naoto, and Yukiko party. I'd be putting him in the front row in place of Chie, but I'm not sure what he's meant to be used for.

And what's the incentive for having him and Yu at level 50?

Edit: and I'm still trying to figure out what Personas do for Navigation characters...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
What's so great about P3MC, exactly? I'm trying to figure out of he has a place in my Yu, Kanji, Chie, Naoto, and Yukiko party. I'd be putting him in the front row in place of Chie, but I'm not sure what he's meant to be used for.

Put him in the back if you're worried about his HP. I haven't been worried about Mintao's HP for a while and he gets Fire Skills and a few other things from Orpheus while Opheus Telos has covered a few other skills for him so far.

A quest opens up and a reward is given from that quest AFAIK. I can't tell you.

Edit: and I'm still trying to figure out what Personas do for Navigation characters...

[Navi] Skills on Persona -> Navi characters/Fuuka, Rise -> Fuuka and Rise can use those skills in Battle AND/OR the field. "[Navi]Gather Safely at Power Spots?" If equipped to the "Exploration" Support (or just equipped to one if you use Fuuka/Rise exclusively for Battle/Exploring) you'll gain the ability to "Gather Items Safely at Power Spots."

Basically you want to load up a Persona with 6 [Navi] skills to put on Fuuka/Rise. I dunno if Level/higher levels on the Persona effects Fuuka/Rise's Battle Support abilities or not, but probably not.

----

Edit: That reminds me: WHAT IS THE DEADLINE FOR QUESTS? They say "timed ones will close up eventually" but I have no fucking clue when that time-limit is. It's kinda bullshit.

He's a pretty decent magic user.

Having him and Yu at 55 unlocks a quest that you'll want to do, you don't need to keep him in the party though, just give him one of the exp boost items.

There are certain skills that you can give Navigation characters through Persona equips that are useful, the ones with a symbol next to them.

Edit: That reminds me: WHAT IS THE DEADLINE FOR QUESTS? They say "timed ones will close up eventually" but I have no fucking clue when that time-limit is. It's kinda bullshit.

I don't think I've ever seen an answer to this. My assumption is that it's the end of the labyrinth that you get them in, but I'm not really sure. It's definitely tied to story progression in some form. I just did them as they came up and never had much trouble with them. Elizabeth will warn you when you're approaching a deadline too.

Naoto makes enemy mobs into cakewalks, now my Chie destroys bosses.

Naoto uses lethargy circle, Chie's eqipped with delta drive for more crits, has raging fists skill, then power charge, shura tensei, and then myriad arrows = RIP for any unfortunate thing that gets in my way.

Laconic

Banned
Thanks to everyone who has responded so far! In regard to making my final decision, then, I think I'm trying to decide if I want to ditch Chie or Yukiko for the P3MC. Everyone says Yukiko isn't great, but it somehow seems wrong to remove her. Would having Yu and Kanji in the front, with Naoto, Yukiko, and P3MC in the back be a decent setup?

Edit: Putting Akihiko in front is also tempting (I'm tempted to just copy robotzombie's setup).

I use

Kanji/Akihiko/Aegis
P3MC/Naoto

Aegis is great... arguably S tier, alongside Naoto and P3MC.

Gears

Finally able to start playing after buying on release day. I'm about 2.5 hours in so far and like it much more than I thought I would. Does the dungeon exploration music get better though? Feels pretty weak

Omikaru

I guess the beetle at the end of dungeon one respawns. WHELP

Yup. Easy way to get 18k EXP a pop with that sucker (hit him with Elec attacks and binds, poison too if you have it). He also drops an item that fully covers the cost of Elizabeth's healing up to lv34, so, you know, go nuts!

Oxx

My only experience of Persona is from the Endurance Run and I've only just reached the Group Date Cafe episode!

Tidd

So let's talk a little about the post game.
Is there anything else than
Elizabeth (Zeus) and the Reaper quest? I know you can fight against the Velvet Trio once you beat the game with both sides.

And because some people always want to know how long a game is: Time counter says 64h including ~2h of grinding on normal + 100% every map + all sidequests which were available for me.

ramyeon

Dang, the Evil Spirit Club ramped things up.
Can't touch Supreme Hands, and they Mudo me...
I end up killing those with Naoto's Mahama+Impure Reach most of the time. Either that or use Pulinpa on them and then physical skills from Aigis or Akihiko which tend to crit a lot.

Bamboo Boy

Neo Member
This game... The second floor of the 3rd Labyrinth nearly gave me a heart attack
with the doll FOEs that appear in front of your screen

Jisgsaw

So, quick question as I never really played a EO game.
Do I need to level every character of my roster, or am I good just using my main team?

CSX

Just got my copy thanks to best buy B1G1 40% off on 3ds and Wii U games. Didn't find out till I left the store that the deal is technically only for Nintendo developed games but register guy was more than happy to manually apply the discount. So yeah...test your luck :p

Gravidee

I've been playing this game for a bit and I'm surprised that the amount of voicework is more or less the same as any other mainline title. Makes me wonder why Fire Emblem Awakening didn't have a similar amount of voicework outside of battle and animated cutscenes.

Astarte

I changed my party to

Kanji Aigis P4MC
Naoto P3MC

Because links and GODLIKE STRENGTH

Also my thoughts on the final boss:

That was it? Really? I had a harder time fighting the spider than Chronos. I killed Chronos in two turns with sick links and I kept expecting a final final form. That was disappointing...maybe that was the point?

Overall the game was really easy. I got my ass handed to me in etrian odyssey but this game had me like ":/"

Ourobolus

Banned
Hoping to beat this tonight. A couple floors left in the final dungeon. I just need to finish this damn Destiny raid and I'll be able to jump on ;P

The special voiced dialogue in the fourth labyrinth second floor is amazing.
First time Flat Teddie appears. lol Shinji and Aki's interactions are pretty funny to see (and the stroll about it too). This is also the first Shinji and Ken interaction in the whole P3 side, huh. It's cool to see Junpei giving his opinion and being serious. Also I'm really glad the exclusive events center around Yukari and how the group is in general around that time, specially compared to the P4 one. And the stroll "Yukari Wants To Be Brave"...

tpGy6Lj.png

These guys are the best.

By the way, can someone help me out again?
How do I get there? The previous floor is all 100%, and in this one I checked with the treasure thing (I'm at 99%) and the only place left is that one, with the stairs, but the only way possible, unless I missed something, is the shortcut which can only be activated from the other side I'm trying to get into.

Top Bottom