• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth |OT| -- No Dating, Just Dungeons

Nimby

Banned
So, when does the difficulty pick up? I'm only on the 1st floor of the second dungeon, and this party is wrecking everything. Kanji does SO much damage.
Kanji - Yu - Shinji
Mitsuru - Yukari

Navi: Fuuka

PK Gaming

In my opinion, those are the only two worth keeping.

Maybe Chie.

Too bad you're stuck with Yu.

You give the P4 side way too little credit

Naoto is god, and Yu/Kanji/Chie are very good characters. Yosuke is quite solid, and Yukiko is just a better Yukari. The only P4 character that's outright bad isTeddie.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
How many times should I fight FOEs in the first dungeon? I already fought one on the first floor for a request, then another on the 4th floor & was able to make great armor for Yu & Rei/Zen. Would really like to get new armor for Mitsuru, Aigis, & Naoto to stay consistent.

Ugh, I haven't played this game since unlocking the P3 cast. Too much choice!

Someone decide for me!

I'd just like to keep Kanji and Naoto, if I can.

My party is those two, P3MC, Shinji, and Akihiko. You obviously need P4MC in your party, but I'd say Akihiko or Shinji up front and P3MC in back would make an awesome team for you:

P4MC, Kanji, Ak/Shi
P3MC, Naoto

Just defeated the third boss! It was pretty exciting too since
since he was already poisoned and low on health, so at the las turn I decided to attack him with everything I got. Hmm Akihiko you don't have any Wind attack, so just att-OH MY GOD YOU DID A CRITICAL HIT! Then Yosuke and P3MC with Garudyne and Magarula, yes! Should Yukari heal or...? GARUDYNE! And finally, Kanji also does a crit with Guillotine, who does more damage since he's poisoned. All my party keeps boosted since the doctor only power charges himself, and then ALL OUT ATTACK! All debuffs go away and whatever, and BAM he dies after that with poison damage and my party still gets the extra EXP of the All Out Attack!
Truly splendid.

Man the conversation between the Lovers was amazing.
Glad Yukari brought up how they're actually not really close friends.
I love when Rise gets serious about stuff.

The third labyrinth is such a drag and a pain, too bad too cuz design wise it's ny favorite. But fuck wind corrosion followed up with magarula. I've lost so much progress, redoing the same thing over and over. I'm used to this kind of thing in SMT games, but this is ridiculous.

Anyone have tips?

Astarte

Ugh, I haven't played this game since unlocking the P3 cast. Too much choice!

Someone decide for me!

I'd just like to keep Kanji and Naoto, if I can.

My party's Kanji, Akihiko on the front row
P3MC, Naoto, and the Etrian Odyssey Twins on the back row

Links, poison, and muda/hamon all day err day.

I'm almost done with the final floor! Suck my ass, FIRE

Ourobolus

Banned
The third labyrinth is such a drag and a pain, too bad too cuz design wise it's ny favorite. But fuck wind corrosion followed up with magarula. I've lost so much progress, redoing the same thing over and over. I'm used to this kind of thing in SMT games, but this is ridiculous.

Anyone have tips?
Dekunda on P4MC will get rid of corrosion.

Sera O

Banned
But fuck wind corrosion followed up with magarula. I've lost so much progress, redoing the same thing over and over. I'm used to this kind of thing in SMT games, but this is ridiculous.

Anyone have tips?

I usually spent my first turn with Naoto trying to get insta-kill, and everyone else trying to incapacitate what's left with ailments. Confuse or sleep + impure reach has a pretty good success rate and will prevent them from casting if it hits. Silence circle is good too, but at the time I didn't have binding hands to boost success. Just do your best to prevent two from acting in a turn and getting you with the one-two punch. Use dekunda when you get corroded.

antibolo

Banned
Well, I gave up on that Limited Edition 3DS XL. EBGames still won't authorize my credit card payment without any explanation, fuck them. And fuck Nintendo for giving them exclusives.

Oh well, buying another vanilla 3DS now that the New is already announced was a pretty dumb idea anyway.

Soulflarz

Banned
Well, I gave up on that Limited Edition 3DS XL. EBGames still won't authorize my credit card payment without any explanation, fuck them. And fuck Nintendo for giving them exclusives.

Oh well, buying another vanilla 3DS now that the New is already announced was a pretty dumb idea anyway.

*hugs* sorry to hear it didnt work out :/

Laconic

Banned
You give the P4 side way too little credit

Naoto is god, and Yu/Kanji/Chie are very good characters. Yosuke is quite solid, and Yukiko is just a better Yukari. The only P4 character that's outright bad isTeddie.

I did no such thing, lol.

I said Kanji and Naoto were members you'd want to use.

And Chie was arguably one, too.

Yukiko is not naturally better than Yukari. Yukiko is better once you give her the proper spells and sacrifice your accessory slot to get her fast enough to do her job proper-like.

The only thing Yu has going for him is the fact that he's not weak to Dark, imo. Other than that, he has nothing over the P3 MC. He's basically a pre-8 Wizardry Bard, in a game where you do not have five other slots to customize around making one a viable option.

Naoto is everything she was not in Vanilla P4... she is 'Ddess tier.

Gazoinks

Haha, some of the attack combos you can pull off in this game.

Aki does Gale Link, Aigis follows it up with Death Chaser, which triggers the Link, then Aki's Heroic Gemini activates, he uses Gale Link again, which then triggers another Gale Link from the first time he used it because he has Double Link, and Aigis then follows up with Death Chaser again. Six attacks out of one! Chaining links off of themselves is fantastic.

PK Gaming

I did no such thing, lol.

I said Kanji and Naoto were members you'd want to use.

And Chie was arguably one, too.

Yukiko is not naturally better than Yukari. Yukiko is better once you give her the proper spells and sacrifice your accessory slot to get her fast enough to do her job proper-like.

The only thing Yu has going for him is the fact that he's not weak to Dark, imo. Other than that, he has nothing over the P3 MC. He's basically a pre-8 Wizardry Bard, in a game where you do not have five other slots to customize around making one a viable option.

Naoto is everything she was not in Vanilla P4... she is 'Ddess tier.

To be fair, you did say that the game was much easier on the P3 side, and that they were "gimped" in comparison to the P3 side.

In any case, the fact Yukiko is not naturally better than Yukari is frankly irrelevant when you consider that making Yukiko into a better unit is fairly trivial process. You gain the Luck-Agility swap accessory quite early, and Mediarama shortly after Yukari naturally learns it. Sacrificing your accessory slot is well worth being able to outrun most enemies (which Yukari can't do... ever). What would does Yukiko really miss out on by opting to use Luck-Agility? Plum Potpouri?

Yu and Makoto aren't directly comparable at all. Yu's probably worse, sure, but Yu and Makoto do not compete for the same slot. Makoto's a back row fighter that's best on support / offensive magic. Yu's a front row fighter that benefits from having an excellent SP, endurance and a decent magic stat. He outdamages Makoto for nearly the entire game, since physical offense > magic in terms of raw damage. Also,
after his Persona evolves
he becomes virtually indestructible. Dark immunity makes the endgame a little less frustrating, and Dekunda > Dekaja by virtue of the fact that it's more useful in the lategame.

Laconic

Banned
To be fair, you did say that the game was much easier on the P3 side, and that they were "gimped" in comparison to the P3 side.

In any case, the fact Yukiko is not naturally better than Yukari is frankly irrelevant when you consider that making Yukiko into a better unit is fairly trivial process. You gain the Luck-Agility swap accessory quite early, and Mediarama shortly after Yukari naturally learns it. Sacrificing your accessory slot is well worth being able to outrun most enemies (which Yukari can't do... ever). What would does Yukiko really miss out on by opting to use Luck-Agility? Plum Potpouri?

Yu and Makoto aren't directly comparable at all. Yu's probably worse, sure, but Yu and Makoto do not compete for the same slot. Makoto's a back row fighter that's best on support / offensive magic. Yu's a front row fighter that benefits from having an excellent SP, endurance and a decent magic stat. He outdamages Makoto for nearly the entire game, since physical offense > magic in terms of raw damage. Also,
after his Persona evolves
he becomes virtually indestructible. Dark immunity makes the endgame a little less frustrating, and Dekunda > Dekaja by virtue of the fact that it's more useful in the lategame.

I wouldn't use Yukiko. But I wouldn't use Yukari either.

I like having three front row Phys and two back row Mages.

The back row is obviously going to be Naoto and Makoto.

That leaves the front row, which has many viable options, of which Aegis is a shoe-in.

Kanji is in my opinion a great off-tank, with Aegis being main tank, which leaves pretty much one slot, as a choice. I think Chie, Shinjiro, and Akihiko are better for most of the game, for this role. I'll grant that end-game Yu is a viable substitute for this slot.

The game is pretty much a matter of flavor, though.

PK Gaming

I wouldn't use Yukiko. But I wouldn't use Yukari either.

I like having three front row Phys and two back row Mages.

The back row is obviously going to be Naoto and Makoto.

That leaves the front row, which has many viable options, of which Aegis is a shoe-in.

Kanji is in my opinion a great off-tank, with Aegis being main tank, which leaves pretty much one slot, as a choice. I think Chie, Shinjiro, and Akihiko are better for most of the game, for this role. I'll grant that end-game Yu is a viable substitute for this slot.

The game is pretty much a matter of flavor, though.

That's the ideal setup, yeah

Aegis / Kanji / (Phys of your choice)
Makoto / Naoto

Is the staple endgame setup. But outside of endgame, there are plenty of reasons to use Yu, such as in the 3rd dungeon when corrosion enemies are literally everywhere. Discounting the fact that he's forced on the P4 side, he's a great alternative to the pure physical fighters because his stat spread allows him to do anything at any point in the game (physical attacker + backup healer, buffs, debuffs, etc), and the mudo immunity is sweet. While Chie, Shinjiro and Akihiko are solid units, they're limited in what they can do, and some of them (Chie—Shinji especially) don't really shine until the endgame.

Shinji suffers from very low Speed/Luck; which means his evasion and accuracy suck, he'll crit a lot less than the others, and he can't really make use out of teardrop until the ENG - AGI swap accessory comes into play (and opting to use that kills his vitality). Chie's also slow, and her SP is awful, which greatly limits her options. Like, Critical Eye and Mind's Eye are superb abilities, but she often has to be in boost to use either of these abilities. Akihiko's fantastic and his default skillset is definitely better than Yu's, but his SP (while not as low as the other pure physical fighters) is still quite low, so there's still a reason to use Yu over him.

Like you said though, it's pretty much up to flavor. Character viability isn't strictly dictated on endgame usability, so there's a lot of variance in what you can use. Yukiko's not that bad in the main game. She's pretty much outclassed by Makoto, but if you're already using him as your protagonist then she's not a bad character use (especially if you don't want to leave healing to Makoto). Even if he isn't your MC, she's still a worthy consideration if you prefer her.

PK Gaming

I'm using P3MC on the front and Aigis on the back. Should I switch them?

Definitely. Aigis has a skill (Swordbreaker) that has a chance of halving damage directed towards anyone in the row she's in. She doesn't need the back row defense bonus, so you want her out in the front. P3MC's better suited to the back row, but if you want to use him there, he's still adequate, provided you have good armor / give him good physical skills.

How many here use Josuke? I get the impression he isn't very good, THAT SPEED THO, I made him my mail healer.

Yosuke's a beast. Dude is fast... like seriously fast. "I outspeed most FOEs before they can blink fast" fast. Outside of Speed, his strength is adequate and his Magic is pretty good. Best of all, he's got good SP, so you can also trick him out to do all sorts of things. In my game, he's the primary healer/buff user with decent physical skills to fall back on.

Ourobolus

Banned
Holy crap the 4th dungeon boss went down easy. Panicked him the entire fight, then Link Master Kanji just destroyed him with like 750 damage per Link.

Fandangox

Yosuke's a beast. Dude is fast... like seriously fast. "I outspeed most FOEs before they can blink fast" fast. Outside of Speed, his strength is adequate and his Magic is pretty good. Best of all, he's got good SP, so you can also trick him out to do all sorts of things. In my game, he's the primary healer/buff user with decent physical skills to fall back on.

Yeah, I just thought he wasn't that good since he is rarely mentioned as being on teams here, so I thought I was missing something. I gave him Recarm and Media, so he can heal and revive usually on the very first turn when needed. He is the only one out of the 5 I use that I can constantly switch to front and back depending on what I want him to do.

goblin

So I've beaten the game and I feel like I'm missing something:
Did those orbs from the optional bosses do nothing? I felt like that was building up to something, and the artbook features a boss called "God of Power" who I haven't fought. There's a boss theme on the OST that hasn't played either. I've done every available sidequest apart from the Reaper one and got 100% on every map. Do I have to do the P4 side to unlock this stuff?

Just in case you haven't worked this out yet:
I'm pretty sure collecting those orbs unlocks the first of two post-game extra boss fights, but only after you finish the Reaper request.

NG+'ing at level 99 makes it so easy to blaze through the game. Especially since the game lets you carry over everything. It only took an hour to get through the intro of the P3 story and the first labyrinth in its entirety. I'm just a bit worried that at this pace I might accidentally miss some of the sidequest triggers that I forgot to map haha

It's a bit surprising how the dialogue at the beginning of NG+
refers to Messiah being the protagonist's only persona instead of Orpheus.
Didn't think they'd record dialogue for just that.

I found going through the latter dungeons to be super tedious in NG+ because there aren't too many opportunities to sequence break puzzles beyond brute-forcing through some FOEs. Luckily, I had more than enough yen to max out on Repulse Bells. The payoff
ultimate boss fight had a fun set-up but it was kind of disappointingly easy, at least on Hard.

That extra dialogue was a really cool touch! I didn't notice very many others like it, unfortunately; maybe I just missed them.

Sadist

Bought this on a whim, played so much SMT (Strange Journey and IV) this year, I could add this to the pile.

Never played Persona though and I found the first EO quite hard... this will be fun.

Just in case you haven't worked this out yet:
I'm pretty sure collecting those orbs unlocks the first of two post-game extra boss fights, but only after you finish the Reaper request.

I found it yeah, you don't have to beat the Reaper, just go into the Nurses Office a second time after she's given you the Reaper quest.

How do link abilities work? Do I need more ability to go first?

If a charecter uses a link skill on a shadow, the next one to attack that shadow will trigger the link and deal extra damage. You can boost the number of times and damage it does with various link buff skills. So it would go:

Elec Link -> Attack -> (Link is triggered) -> Attack -> Attack

or if the charecter using the link has the double link passive:

Elec Link -> Attack -> (Link is triggered) -> Attack -> (Link is triggered) -> Attack

4th dungeon, 4th floor, got everything mapped and I just need to go through those shrine things to open the door.

Only problem is.....I forgot the order.......

random25

I'm currently playing at Risky using P3 cast after a some hiatus due to playing other games. Onto the 2nd dungeon, FOE walking toward me, just beside me, then I got a random encounter, met the random enemy to beat, then all of a sudden it changed into an FOE battle...FUCK THAT SHIT LUCK! I almost threw my 3DS XL out of rage as I lost 2 level ups, tons of materials, and all shortcuts I saw in 90% of my exploration! Now I have to do that all over again...

Shizuka

I need some help. I've cleared the third floor of the second dungeon, checked everything and all.
I found the first doll, then the second one, when Ken tells me to reunite it with the first one. Thing is, I forgot where the first one is located.
Can anybody help me?

Setsu00

Sigh... Here I go again. I'm currently on the first floor of the fourth labyrinth and I have serious trouble with
those bonfires. I've managed to locate the stairs to the next floor already but I can't access them since the door is blocked by one of those holy bonfire things. The problem is that I can't find a bonfire that is close enough to let me either open that sealed door directly or to let me light the bonfire right next to the door. I think I checked every other path as well but I always get roadblocked by FOEs...

Is anyone else on a long break from the game? I played a lot the first week, getting up to maybe half way through the first floor of the 3rd labirynth, then I decided to take a break to avoid burn out. I haven't really felt the need to go back yet. Anyone else have the same thing happen?

I'll finish the game, I just don't know when.

OH MY GOD I SPENT ALL NIGHT AND THIS MORNING TRYING TO DEFEAT THE GOD DARN OLD DOLL FOE. EVERY 10 TURNS SHE USED DIARAHAN, PROCEDEED TO CURSE MY PARTY WHICH I HAD TO WASTE A TURN USING ME PATRA, TENTARAFOO AND HAMAON NEVER HIT AND WHEN SALOME'S KISS (bind) DID IT ONLY LASTED LIKE ONE OR TWO TURNS. WHEN I HAD EVERYTHING UNDER CONTROL MAMUDOON KILLED ALL OF THEM AT ONCE. I ONCE REACHED THE LIMIT OF 99 TURNS

I then used the last idea available...THE SPIRAL SWORD! With it, I managed to confuse the enemy, which remained in that status until her defeat, and she hit herself every turn resulting in a crit, and thanks to P3MC, Yosuke and Yukari which had Cut/Pierce normal attacks I could enter in boost and use other attacks + All Out Attack. Aki helped too with Fatal End and Ziodyne, and Kanji, oh Kanji, I was able to use Bestial Roar, Power Charge andd Orb of Power to result into a +1000 damage Lightning Strike. I defeated her in like 11 or 12 turns I think.

And that friends, is how Inaba was founded...

Is anyone else on a long break from the game? I played a lot the first week, getting up to maybe half way through the first floor of the 3rd labirynth, then I decided to take a break to avoid burn out. I haven't really felt the need to go back yet. Anyone else have the same thing happen?

I'll finish the game, I just don't know when.
The opposite. I don't want to stop playing, but I need to since I don't wanna end the game too fast. lol

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Urgh, can someone just tell me how to do the convey a secret message quest?

Also third dungeon boss is super easy when your poison circles and binds trigger all the time.

Urgh, can someone just tell me how to do the convey a secret message quest?

Also third dungeon boss is super easy when your poison circles and binds trigger all the time.

The numbers refer to the number of doors in a room, the final "2" is the room that you start in with the power spot, and X is a secret passage in the SW corner of that room.

Top Bottom