• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth |OT| -- No Dating, Just Dungeons

Sakwoff

How fast you finish the fight. I'm not sure what the threshold exactly is, but try to win in 1-2 turns.

Really?

I thought it was when an all-out attack manages to finish the battle.

Could be coincidence though since that usually coincides with a fast battle. The more you know. :D

Thanks for the replies everyone :) yeah, I was expecting something around the 60-70 hour mark. I had no idea you carry over stuff in subsequent playthroughs, that makes immediately replaying P3 side more appealing.

Ourobolus

Banned
Finishing with an All-Out-Attack.

I don't think so. At least I never noticed this and finished most of my fights on the first turn.

So have I, when I ran through the first time with Naoto. I vaguely recall reading something about finishing fights quickly to get bonus XP...I'll look around.

Not saying you're wrong, I just haven't found anything definitive.

Sadist

Ugh

I'm stuck on the fourth dungeon, second floor. At A4 you need to pass a
Strong Guy foe
, but I can't figure out how. If you carry a holy flame, he'll be two steps ahead of me, so I can't steer him in the right direction. Can anyone help out?

Edit: nevermind, got it. What a dick.

random25

For those who have made it to the final
Clock Tower
dungeon or on the 2nd playthorugh already:

Have you
ever had a chance to fight Elizabeth for the 4th time?
It just occurred to me in my 2nd playthrough and finishing the 3rd fight that I never got a chance to know what she was talking about
(the one she mentioned that she wants me to summon).

For those who have made it to the final
Clock Tower
dungeon or on the 2nd playthorugh already:

Have you
ever had a chance to fight Elizabeth for the 4th time?
It just occurred to me in my 2nd playthrough and finishing the 3rd fight that I never got a chance to know what she was talking about
(the one she mentioned that she wants me to summon).

You have to enter the Nurses Office a second time after beating the game, since the first visit will give you the reaper quest.

Vena

Anyone have any idea about this weird glitch?

I've run into this now with Yukari in combination with, seemingly, Merit Badge/Kaguya and possibly her weapon/armor. She deals next to no damage, her Media heals for only 36HP and Garula on weakness hits for like <30 (whereas Makoto/Mitsuru heals for 75+ with nigh-identical magic levels, and hits in the hundreds). If I take off all her gear and Kaguya, she's back to normal but I can't seem to find what exactly is causing it.

Any clues?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So... uh... any reason to use the 1 power melee/effect weapons?

Seems... kinda pointless...?

Vena

Found the glitch:

Do not use Kaguya+Amenity Garb+Merit Badge. It turns Yukari into a useless character, lol. Such a bizarre glitch.

NichM

Banned
Anyone have any idea about this weird glitch?

I've run into this now with Yukari in combination with, seemingly, Merit Badge/Kaguya and possibly her weapon/armor. She deals next to no damage, her Media heals for only 36HP and Garula on weakness hits for like <30 (whereas Makoto/Mitsuru heals for 75+ with nigh-identical magic levels, and hits in the hundreds). If I take off all her gear and Kaguya, she's back to normal but I can't seem to find what exactly is causing it.

Any clues?

What I think is happening is an effect where being 10 levels or more above your equipped Sub-Persona's level causes a severe reduction in the effectiveness of your attacks and skills. It's not actually mentioned anywhere in the game or manual, for some reason. So probably it's keeping Kaguya on for too long that's causing it.

Xenoflare

I grinded Naoto and replaced Yukari and gave her impure reach.

Impure reach is such of a godsend.

Myriad Arrows+Agility Bind is nearly broken.

kewlmyc

What I think is happening is an effect where being 10 levels or more above your equipped Sub-Persona's level causes a severe reduction in the effectiveness of your attacks and skills. It's not actually mentioned anywhere in the game or manual, for some reason. So probably it's keeping Kaguya on for too long that's causing it.

First I've heard of that. Huh, never new the game encouraged you to not stick with one Persona.

Vena

What does it do to her?

Makes her deal no damage or healing.

I used another Persona, even lower level, and she was back to normal lol.

PK Gaming

First I've heard of that. Huh, never new the game encouraged you to not stick with one Persona.

It's pretty severe

It starts at 10% damage penalty for Personas that are 5 levels lower than yours, and jumps up to a 50% damage penalty when they're 10 levels lower than yours.

kewlmyc

It's pretty severe

It starts at 10% damage penalty for Personas that are 5 levels lower than yours, and jumps up to a 50% damage penalty when they're 10 levels lower than yours.

Well I guess my Yu can't have Golden Link/Healing Harp Orpheus Telos for the whole game.

bobohoro

Well I guess my Yu can't have Golden Link/Healing Harp Orpheus Telos for the whole game.

You can always sacrifice fusion your favourite personas up to a decent level, Beat a few FOEs to gain high level/low cost personas and go ham on the compedium/sacrifice thingy. Did that with my link personas, since good ones with Golden Link are few and far inbetween.

Jachaos

So I just got to the 4th dungeon's third floor and there's this dead end near the start where
Junpei starts telling me how he's never used. I put him in the squad and go to that spot and then Mitsuru says she's never used. Then it's Ken.
What's up with that?

Xenoflare

So I just got to the 4th dungeon's third floor and there's this dead end near the start where
Junpei starts telling me how he's never used. I put him in the squad and go to that spot and then Mitsuru says she's never used. Then it's Ken.
What's up with that?

Just ignore them, it's just the game's way of pestering you for swapping members

Jachaos

Just ignore them, it's just the game's way of pestering you for swapping members

Ah ok. If I could use them all I'd do it, or if everyone shared the whole EXP all the time anyway. But right now it'd be pretty stupid to switch between them all the time, I'd have to grind a lot.

Xenoflare

Ah ok. If I could use them all I'd do it, or if everyone shared the whole EXP all the time anyway. But right now it'd be pretty stupid to switch between them all the time, I'd have to grind a lot.

It is, especially when the exp is shared among the party members anyway, grinding too much isn't fun at all.

I grinded Naoto by slapping a growth 2 when I benched her, and I brought only the mc and her into the 4th dungeon, stripped my MC's armor, making Naoto the last one standing while spamming Mahammon/Mamudoon with impure reach so she could catch up quickly.

Seriously it's laughable when Agidyne costs 48sp and Mahammon costs 32.

Any skillcards recommended for Naoto?

and what is the level recommended for the 4th dungeon boss? I just made my main party all over 55 to unlock that something something.

Also, status circles or skills?

random25

Just equip them with Growth 2/3 accessories and they won't really pester you lol.

The dialogue I got on my return there was the vice leader (P4MC in my case) saying that I'm such a good leader lol.

It is, especially when the exp is shared among the party members anyway, grinding too much isn't fun at all.

I grinded Naoto by slapping a growth 2 when I benched her, and I brought only the mc and her into the 4th dungeon, stripped my MC's armor, making Naoto the last one standing while spamming Mahammon/Mamudoon with impure reach so she could catch up quickly.

Seriously it's laughable when Agidyne costs 48sp and Mahammon costs 32.

and what is the level recommended for the 4th dungeon boss? I just made my main party all over 55 to unlock that something something.

I gave Naoto some healing skills since she's pretty much useless against boss battles so she can be the healer against FOEs and dungeon bosses. Me Patra and Mediarahan works like a charm.

You also are already good to go for the 4th dungeon boss as level 55 is pretty much a good level (finished that with leader at level 51). Impure Reach + Panic skills works like a charm against the boss.

As for circles vs skills, I'd go with circles since it's like casting the same spell for 3 turns while wasting only 1 turn to cast, and is much more SP efficient.

bobohoro

Impure Reach, Tentarafoo, Panic Circle and Stagnant Air if you want to go all out on status ailments with her. Healing/Me Patra can be done easily with navigator skills, and her offense isn't worth it without changing up some stats. If you're running a linker she can at least help with that with her normal attack. Or give her Matarakuja.

And yes, I think ideally you want circles and skills together, especially against later bosses and FOEs. Lay the circle in the first round and then spam additional skills until the ailment sticks.

Lv55 should do for the 4th dungeon, yeah.

Before I progress in
the Clock Tower
, I've been clearing out old FOEs. I finally beat
Sweaty Guy and Fast Guy in the Inaba Pride Exhibit
this morning, and I'm now ready to move on.

Xenoflare

Impure Reach, Tentarafoo, Panic Circle and Stagnant Air if you want to go all out on status ailments with her. Healing/Me Patra can be done easily with navigator skills, and her offense isn't worth it without changing up some stats. If you're running a linker she can at least help with that with her normal attack. Or give her Matarakuja.

And yes, I think ideally you want circles and skills together, especially against later bosses and FOEs. Lay the circle in the first round and then spam additional skills until the ailment sticks.

Lv55 should do for the 4th dungeon, yeah.

I gave her Tentarafoo and I have Akihiko using stagnant air since his subpersona has it. It's a lot more reliable than lethargy circle..... I never knew panic would prevent evading.

Sometimes my lethargy circle can only bind the enemy for one turn if the bind worked, meaning the bind would be gone the next turn was is very annoying. I don't know if this is just an ailment thing since the skills never mention how long the bind/ailment would last.

I'm stuck on the 3rd floor solving the last puzzle and I'm at level 61, I hope I'm not overleveled.... I raged and mowed down a bunch of FOEs with Tentarafoo+3 myriad arrows per turn.

Kyou

I think I'm nearing the end of the second dungeon

is there any reason to be changing up my party? I figure the other people are just dead to me

Finished PQ.

Cryinggifs_01_1.gif

I apologize in advance if this has already been asked/answered, i was wandering what all i should be doing when it comes to grinding my party. i read somewhere that you need to level up every character to certain points or the final boss is impossibru. im not far at all, i just got the first few subpersonas. im guessing at this point i need to finish up wonderland?

Jintor

Yo fuck this doll and fuck not being able to land debuffs for shit. NOTHING STUCK. NINE ROUNDS AND NO GODDAMN DEBUFFS COULD LAND.

I apologize in advance if this has already been asked/answered, i was wandering what all i should be doing when it comes to grinding my party. i read somewhere that you need to level up every character to certain points or the final boss is impossibru. im not far at all, i just got the first few subpersonas. im guessing at this point i need to finish up wonderland?

You should be leveling both MC's, but that's it. No reason whatsoever to level everyone, unless you want to. If you just play through the game normally completing as much of each map as you can, then you should be fine. No need for any excess grinding if you're just sticking to one party.

Xenoflare

You should be leveling both MC's, but that's it. No reason whatsoever to level everyone, unless you want to. If you just play through the game normally completing as much of each map as you can, then you should be fine. No need for any excess grinding if you're just sticking to one party.

This, since the MC of your chosen side dictates fusion levels and leveling both MC is crucial to
unlock ultimate personas, and, Messiah and Izanagi-no-Okami are the best, especially the latter, which blocks darkness and resists to every single magical/physical element but normal to light. Also Messiah knows debilitate, which is crucial to boss fights

It's actually not that difficult to over level in this game, at least it's easier than I thought it would, I am level 61 right now and there are people who's at early 50's that are ahead of me.

spiritfox

Finally finished the game at
60hrs

It is the perfect blend of 2 of my favorite game franchises, and much so better than a crossover should have any right to be. A cynical part of me, when the game was first announced, viewed this game as a quick cash grab to draw in Persona fans with a cheaply done game, but Kanada and co. managed to out-design all the previous EO games in terms of dungeon design and style. Together with EO4, Kanada is fast becoming one of my favorite developers in Atlus, maybe even Japan. Did I mention that this is perhaps one of the best looking games in 2014? the 3DS is not a technical powerhouse, but Persona Q manages to put so much detail into such a small space, and the UI is stylish but still readable. The character design is so cute too. Soejima doing chibi brings pretty surprising results.

The game does have its flaws, of course. Persona fusion is a step back from SMT4, and Persona in general are less important because of its implementation. The game is also easily broken, that all semblance of difficulty disappears halfway through the game unless you intentionally limit yourself. There is a bit of flanderization of characters, but they do get better on the most part as the game progresses. Teddie is insufferable though. But the puzzle design and atmosphere is great, and I hope that both Persona 5 and EO5 take some cues from this game.

Kanada needs to get more work
likeanewtraumathanks

Xenoflare

Finally finished the game at
60hrs

It is the perfect blend of 2 of my favorite game franchises, and much so better than a crossover should have any right to be. A cynical part of me, when the game was first announced, viewed this game as a quick cash grab to draw in Persona fans with a cheaply done game, but Kanada and co. managed to out-design all the previous EO games in terms of dungeon design and style. Together with EO4, Kanada is fast becoming one of my favorite developers in Atlus, maybe even Japan. Did I mention that this is perhaps one of the best looking games in 2014? the 3DS is not a technical powerhouse, but Persona Q manages to put so much detail into such a small space, and the UI is stylish but still readable. The character design is so cute too. Soejima doing chibi brings pretty surprising results.

The game does have its flaws, of course. Persona fusion is a step back from SMT4, and Persona in general are less important because of its implementation. The game is also easily broken, that all semblance of difficulty disappears halfway through the game unless you intentionally limit yourself. There is a bit of flanderization of characters, but they do get better on the most part as the game progresses. Teddie is insufferable though. But the puzzle design and atmosphere is great, and I hope that both Persona 5 and EO5 take some cues from this game.

Kanada needs to get more work
likeanewtraumathanks

To be fair, I thinking the Persona fusion part is inevitable with the absence of social links to provide bonus exps, sacrifice fusion are there for that reason.

But I am not very impressed with the 14 persona limit because half of them are locked to your party members during actual game play.

And yes, I absolutely agree on the balance part, I'm not going to repeat my rants, basically SP consumption and categorizing Hama/Mudo with status ailments are terrible (though I am 100% benefiting from this)

I felt stupid for fusing a lot of moves after the Hama/Mudo+Impure reach combo since this makes all of the skills I tried to go for obsolete and the only skills that matter are the ones specifically tailored for boss fight, this is really discouraging

random25

Finished my 2nd playthrough and completed my compendium minus DLC. Got to say I'm very much done with the game. Great experience! Hopefully Atlus experiments with another spin-off as good as this.

And that realization that
2 MCs will never ever meet after this
makes me feel sad inside.

Finished this up last night - I put in 105 hours but spent at least 25 of those playing with fusions in the Velvet Room... This was a lot of fun; I loved the dungeons and the challenges of 100%ing each floor, so PQ was a gateway drug into Etrian Odyssey for me. I think I might play Strange Journey first, but I've bought the EO 3DS games so they're on the list now...

Top Bottom